[Guide] Test MacOs 10.10 PublicBeta or DeveloperPreview

JahStories

121 posts in this topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm stuck at the exact same place. Followed the instructions verbatim but when I mash enter after booting clover up to install 10.10, it just blinks. No flash drive activity even. Stumped. SP1 btw.

Anyone else experience this? Anything change much in Clover since the thread was started? Would it matter that my source was preview 3 beta?

Thanks for all the hard work!

Hi All, 

Thanks for sharing this installation guide.  I am having bit of a trouble getting yosemite to boot.  If anyone can help me out, it would be appreciated. 

First, I started with createinstallmedia method. I can boot to USB clover, but when I choose USB drive to boot installer, nothing happens and I get back to clover main screen immediately.  Same result for verbose, single and all the rest.  (no terminal output)

So I moved on to the old style. I mounted basesystem.dmg and restored it to the usb drive.  Then I replaced packages and copied basesystem.dmg and chunklist to root.  When I boot with this USB, I see surface starts to boot (-v slide=0 log=false) but I see many error messages about "Failed to bootstrap path /Library/LaunchAgents".  The booting process eventually stalls at "Super IODevice: [Fatal] found unsupported ITE sequence ID=0x8519, Winbond sequence ID=0xffff.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

What I am using:

surfacepro1, yosemite from appstore, SP1 0.4V, dualboot with win8 & maverick

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi bjsurf

I have the same problem you had when I want to update to Yosemite from mavericks

I read about your solution but I don't know how to add that command to boot options in config.plist

Can you please explain me how to proceed or if you want you may send me your config.plist as attachments

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Hi!

im trying to do tis installation with the first oficial release, but I'm stucked. Has something changed with the final OS?

My screen always flicker in the installation and finally give me back a 0 error during the installation. It's a SP1 and im using the guide as said.

Thanks!

This is the flickering problem.

mgbAJ7K.jpg

And this is the error that the SP! show.

TQyuLjU.jpg

I recently did a clean upgrade to Yosemite with a copy from the app store, I have a dual boot with windows 8 and i am only able to boot to 10.10 using my usb thumbdrive. It works good but no longer able to boot without the usb thumbdrive like i would with 10.9.2

I used pokenguy's guide with the EFI ready folder posted in the beginning of the forum

When I try to boot without the usb thumbdrive it gets stuck at the" middle of the loading bar" .

ANY HELP OR GUIDANCE IS HIGHLY APPRECIATEDHZrQV0N.jpg

I'm experiencing something similar to iorduna. I'm trying to upgrade from 10.9.4 to 10.10 from the official App Store release. It looks like you're able to get further than I have iorduna. (also on SP1)

I'd be fine to do a clean install but I don't think I've seen anyone have success yet with the official release? Is that right? If any one has the official release working did you have to do anything any differently than what the guide says?

I recently did a clean upgrade to Yosemite with a copy from the app store, I have a dual boot with windows 8 and i am only able to boot to 10.10 using my usb thumbdrive. It works good but no longer able to boot without the usb thumbdrive like i would with 10.9.2

I used pokenguy's guide with the EFI ready folder posted in the beginning of the forum

When I try to boot without the usb thumbdrive it gets stuck at the" middle of the loading bar" .

ANY HELP OR GUIDANCE IS HIGHLY APPRECIATEDHZrQV0N.jpg

I FIGURED IT OUT, I DID FOLLOW  POKENGUY'S GUIDE AND HOWEVER IN THE EFI FOLDER UNDER MICROSOFT I HAD AND EXTRA FILE, I HAD  TO DELETE  bootmgfw.efi , WHICH WAS THERE EXTRA. I JUST LEFT THE RENAMED bootmgfw-orig.efi UNDER THE MICROSOFT BOOT FOLDER. NOW I AM ABLE TO DUAL BOOT WITHOUT USB THUMBDRIVE.

(surfaceosx)

So, it's been a little quiet in this thread and the 10.9 thread ever since RTM/final dropped. Wanted to share a pretty solid success story with everyone. I've got absolutely everything working (save for wi-fi, of course), but not without a little elbow grease.

A direct upgrade initially worked for me, but I wasn't very careful about it, and I lost Bluetooth, USB, and smooth framerate. A clean install wouldn't take for me using either the manual USB build, or the createinstallmedia method. The system would only report 512MB of video memory, and I could never get USB working, no matter how many non-cache/kext-inject boots or kext drops I did.

Method that worked for me:
1) Start off with a 10.9.x USB (16GB preferred) installer. I used 10.9.3. See the 10.9 thread for instructions on how to build.
1a) Download the Yosemite installer from MAS and copy it to the flash drive, unless you intend to download it after stabilizing 10.9.3.
1b) Season to taste for your particular machine's quirks. I always cp -R the 0.5.1 drivers/apps/etc from the USB installer to /Users/Shared in case msdos.kext or USB kexts fail to load.

2) Boot USB installer (no caches, kext injection), clean install as per usual (don't forget to cp -R fakesmc, acpibatterymanager, and applehda kexts to S/L/E).

3) After restart, boot into safe mode, kext drop everything, restart, then boot regularly.
-- During this kext drop, I add in NullEthernet.kext so I can get to the MAS.

4) Install Clover to your SSD (UEFI only, themes, x64 drivers)
4a) Modify config.plist and add the kext-dev-mode=1 boot argument (still required for USB and Bluetooth, from what I can tell).
-- If your SP1 makes you inject edid 0x1660009, now would be a good time to set that up since you have config.plist opened already.

-- You may also want to setup LoadVideoBios by default…more on that a little later.
4b) Prep your EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 folder. Drop in all the regular kexts plus the 10.10 ones.
4c) Add the modified config.plist and DSDT/SSDT, then reboot normally into your SSD to make sure Clover is installed correctly.

5) Copy the Yosemite installer from your flash drive to /Applications, then run it; it will reboot for you. Select the new Yosemite install partition in Clover, boot with kext injection. The installer doesn't require any interaction, so chill out until you see the Clover boot screen again.
-- NOTE: I had the screwed-up-looking screen during install, like it was interlaced horizontally and really washed out. This continued through to my next boot, but was fixed by loading video BIOS on subsequent boots.

6) Boot your SSD with kext injection, kext drop the 10.10-specific kexts and reboot, hopefully for the last time (at least, for preparatory measures).
-- You will have to boot with kext injection every time from here on out, at least until we get further instruction from the smart guys in these threads. =)

If you're using an RT2870-based wi-fi dongle, do yourself a favor and use the driver and prefpane from this thread. I was trying to use that crappy Mediatek Ralink Wireless Utility, and it chokes hard on 10.10. @@JahStories, not sure if the driver from this thread is the same one you include in the 0.5.1 bundle, but that D-Link prefpane works really, really well. Would be a great addition to future bundles!

Last thing of note: native handwriting support via Ink prefpane is so trill, so many, many thanks to everyone who's put in work on this project–sure feels nice to have a modern, compact, fast, and solid machine. Good hunting, and happy building!

• Like 1

A direct upgrade initially worked for me, but I wasn't very careful about it, and I lost Bluetooth, USB, and smooth framerate.

(surfaceosx)

Can you please elaborate on what wrong steps did you take to lose bt, usb, and qe/ci, after direct update? I'm planning to take the leap from 10.9.5 to 10.10 the coming weekend and direct update is the first step on my course of action.

(surfaceosx)

Can you please elaborate on what wrong steps did you take to lose bt, usb, and qe/ci, after direct update? I'm planning to take the leap from 10.9.5 to 10.10 the coming weekend and direct update is the first step on my course of action.

I also did my first, failed direct upgrade from 10.9.5. Couple of things that screwed me:

1) After I updated my original build from 10.9.3 to 10.9.4, I TRIM-enabled my SSD using this script. Great idea for Mavericks, since we wanna prolong that SSD life. However, for 10.10 installs, it's a Very Bad Idea, due to the way Yosemite handles unsigned kexts now (read the actual article below the "this is an old post" header). Bottom line, once you patch IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext, Yosemite refuses to load that kext (big ass, scary circle-with-a-line-through it; also jacks up your verbose boot text to make it look like when a computer "crashes" on telly) unless kext-dev-mode is turned off. And since we need that for USB/Bluetooth...well, you get the point.

2) The other thing that tripped me up was trying to figure out which exact processes trigger a kernel cache rebuild. I don't know why a base Yosemite install doesn't generate a clean kernel cache for me, but upgrading from 10.9.x seems to do the trick. Just don't try to boot regularly, or boot without caches, and you should be fine. DAT KEXT INJECTION, DOE.

Again, this is stuff that worked for me. It may not work for you, and I'm probably missing a few key steps that prevent me from doing a clean Yosemite install. Until I figure that out, or until the guide gets re-written for 10.10, share what you learn!

• Like 1

(surfaceosx)

So, it's been a little quiet in this thread and the 10.9 thread ever since RTM/final dropped. Wanted to share a pretty solid success story with everyone. I've got absolutely everything working (save for wi-fi, of course), but not without a little elbow grease.

A direct upgrade initially worked for me, but I wasn't very careful about it, and I lost Bluetooth, USB, and smooth framerate. A clean install wouldn't take for me using either the manual USB build, or the createinstallmedia method. The system would only report....

Thanks for the guide!

Im in the same situation, only got full QE/CI and smooth permonfance with injection kexts. But i cant get sound...you got sound working?????

What do you do for that?

In addition, im ussin a rtl8188cus and i cant find the correct drivers for yosemite...

Guys, about the Sp1,

Yosemite final version works like a charm as always, just still no internal wifi...

The process is the same as the beta no particular extra "care" needed...

Btw, even if it's not something really necessary, i'm writing a new guide on how to clean install it step by step using the Sp1 0.5.1 files pack ;)

@iorduna

please take your time to update your signature.

• Like 1

...you got sound working?????

Yep. I dropped the 10.10 AppleHDA kext. Try the alt version if it's still not doing it for you.

Btw, even if it's not something really necessary, i'm writing a new guide on how to clean install it step by step using the Sp1 0.5.1 files pack ;)

Really appreciate it, man. Looking forward to seeing what I screwed up. =)

For those having problems with the SP2, the only way I've found to get it to boot/work is removing all DSDT and SSDT files, what we had for Mavericks won't work in Yosemite. Then after that Install the latest Clover version, use the kexts provided by "Pokenguy" and also, download the official Nullethernet from here: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Null-Ethernet  and place the provided " ssdt-rmne.aml" (rename it to ssdt.aml) so that way the Null Ethernet gets injected. Most things works, there are some things like the battery status that is not showing up, with or without the plug it says "power adapter", there are some graphics issues with some apps, audio works with VoodooHDA but if you use Garageband for example, it wont work properly when playing...