r9 290 (non-x) yosemited help

Orkaliz

205 posts in this topic

Try to set RTC, Cmos and all that stuff in Clover for waking.

Your card is fine.

So tell us how exactly, I can't find any options called "RTC" or "Cmos" and I don't know which options you mean with "all that stuff".

Monq, on 17 Aug 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:snapback.png

Solution is:

FakeID: 0x67B01002
InjectATI: On
FBName: Radeon

And remove all connector patches/etc

Confirm that works on R9-290 Without edited kext.(10.10.5) now i try and 10.11 FBName:Radeon or Hawaii

*Remark 1 (Better score on cinebench) 130.93

*Remark 2 Works to 10.11 DP 6 too

*Remark 3 On 10.11 and DVI i have all (5) resolution

what kexts you used ?when i tried this meteod my systen dont recognise my grafic card!

so you dont install any ati kext just mark in clover the fake id and ati inject and fb name ?

Yeah, the answer is not going to change just because you keep asking

@monq

<key>AppleRTC</key>

<true/>

OS X has compatibility issues with a BIOS CMOS resulting in its reset on each wake after sleep and reboot, which is noticeable in a loss of BIOS settings. Mostly Gigabyte motherboards are affected. Usually it can be solved by patching Device(RTC) in the DSDT.
If this does not help, the kext itself can be patched, which is done here.

Source: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/KernelAndKextPatches#AppleRTC

@monq

<key>AppleRTC</key>

<true/>

OS X has compatibility issues with a BIOS CMOS resulting in its reset on each wake after sleep and reboot, which is noticeable in a loss of BIOS settings. Mostly Gigabyte motherboards are affected. Usually it can be solved by patching Device(RTC) in the DSDT.

If this does not help, the kext itself can be patched, which is done here.

Source: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/KernelAndKextPatches#AppleRTC

That's on by default.

So figured I'd offer an update in case anybody is interested.

I got a Dell P2414h and wanted to do a DisplayPort+DVI setup, but I soon found DisplaPort didn't work on boot. I decided to give Exmoor a shot since it was designed for 4 ports instead of 6, but I had to reconfigure the patch data and tweak a few other things.

Fake ID is the same: 0x67B11002

<key>Graphics</key>
	<dict>
		<key>FBName</key>
		<string>Exmoor</string>
		<key>Inject</key>
		<dict>
			<key>ATI</key>
			<false/>
			<key>Intel</key>
			<false/>
			<key>NVidia</key>
			<false/>
		</dict>
		<key>VRAM</key>
		<integer>4096</integer>
		<key>VideoPorts</key>
		<integer>4</integer>
	</dict>

big thing to note here is DISABLING ATI injection. It doesn't work with it enabled.

And finally, the new Exmoor patch for my XFX R9 290 (might not work with other cards) make sure you put this in clover configurator, as some things need to be converted to base64. clover will take care of that for you:

Replace:

02000000000100000001010322050202020000000001000000010203120401010004000004030000000103071102030300040000040300000001040721030404

With:

00080000000200000001020022050203000400000403000000010101120401010400000014020000000103001102030404000000140200000001040110000406

Make sure you have done the Kext patch, and set ATI connectors controller to 8000

Now I have DisplayPort and DVI functional with multi-monitor support, I can't test HDMI but I would assume it's working now as well.

Still on 10.10.3 here, but everything seems to be working dandy now.

• 2 weeks later...

For Asus direct cu r9 290/ Gigabyte windforce r9 290 owners:

Skip to the bottom, download and install the kexts if you have either of these cards and are having a problem getting them to work in Yosemite without reading all the step by step stuff.

To make a long story short, clover has never worked for me, and frankly just confuses the {censored}e out of me, which was more than a little frustrating because I've read time and time again that the only "real" way to get the ati 290 (non x) cards to work on yosemite is by using fakeid with clover.

And it seems like that might be wrong because I just did it without it, and it was actually pretty simple (after 60 hours of work). And it works, at least for the asus and gigabyte versions of the r9 290. What I did:

1) Make copies of amdradeonx4000.kext and AMD8000Controller.kext onto the desktop (located /system/library/extensions)

2) Replace 0x67b01002 with 0x67b11002 under the key titled "AMDHawaiiGraphicsAccelerator" in AMDRadeonx4000.kext

3) Added 0x67B11002, to the section labeled IOPCIMatch in AMD8000Controller.kext.

4) Dragged the kexts into kexwizard, repaired my permissions with kext wizard, rebooted

5) Now both are recognized as 8xxx with 4096mb of ram.

Alternately, you can download the modded kexts below and dump them into kext wizard, repair then reboot. That's about as much help I can offer right now, but I'd be interested in seeing if anyone else is able to have luck with this.

A few side notes: I haven't yet done extensive testing with this, so all I can tell you is that the DVI ports on both cards work fine, and qi/ce  seems to be working as well and that the cards are recognized as 8xxx with the full 4096mb of ram. I have not played any demanding games on it yet either.

I'm by no means an advanced hackintosher, so I'm sure other users should be able to take this farther than I have, but this is at least a step in the right direction. All in all, it took me about 40-50 hours of trail and error, so hopefully someone else can also get some use out of it as well. 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

• Like 1

From what I've read though, overall support seems better?  I don't use sleep on my desktop, so I'm thinking of doing a clean install as a test.

Starting with El Capitan:

* Window animations (such as maximising or resizing) are now smooth, finally

* There's colour banding in gradients which is very noticeable

* Screen does not turn on anymore after sleeping

Hi! sorry for my english.

I have a Mac Pro 2009 with a R9 290 (non-x) with yosemite, no problem once edited the kext.

The sames kext are not valid for el Capitan, I edited the kext files on El Capitan and it works but no the same way. First, is necessaty connect HDMI and Display port toguether because if I don't connect, I see interference all time. I don't know why. Second, the sleep works more better with yosemite.

I think that my kext files are not correct edit and sometimes I need restart because the screen is come to black.

Thanks and if is possible to help us, perfect!

Ok, so i'm running 10.10.5, and i can't get my msi 4g r9 290 to work. i've tried downloading the edited kexts and installing from kext wizard listed in post 194, i've tried changing fb name to Baladi, connector patches, etc. tried radeon and inject (though in this case i just couldn't boot. it would get to the apple logo and then just spin for infinity), tried using the vbios method (though when i extracted it with gpu-z i got hawaii.rom, not sure if that's right or wrong, but it didn't work. Saw some guys listing the bios as a number). Any ideas? I have been (previously though not on this installation) able to get it to be recognized, but with the dreaded 7mb problem that i was never able to overcome. Currently, can only boot into OS X with chameleon off a flash drive. I somehow buggered my clover, and so am trying to fix that. I'm very new to OS X, though i have some linux experience. Any ideas on what else i could try with the gpu? any ideas on how to fix the spinning infinity that comes when i use radeon and inject?

EDIT Got it installed and up to 10.10.5. Still can't figure out why it's not working though. Nobody has an idea? 

Link to my gpu bios: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=EE7F19F0052011C5!1561093&authkey=!AIroJPKYFIbGDqg&ithint=file%2czip

Hi !

I just updated to El capitan and it is working almost perfectly.

I still have an issue that I solved by using Baladi framebuffer on Yosemite but that doesn't work anymore (actualy it doesn't boot at all using Baladi on 10.11) : I have to boot with only one screen connected (hdmi) then connect my second (dvi) screen and it works.

My clover configuration :

Fake ID : 0x67B01002

FB Name : Hawaii

Inject ATI

I guess I will need to mess with the framebuffer to allow booting directly with two screens attached (that seems complicated).

My card is an MSI r9 290 Gaming 4G, have you got any advice about that, maybe someone who have solved a similar issue.

Thanks !

• 1 month later...

R9 edited kext download link (for dp8)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl4yqhem75bzryv/r9%20290%20dp8.zip?dl=0

(run kext wizard or something like it after you copy over these kext)

So far we have r9 290 working and apparently there is more than one way to do this and I'll try to keep this updated 

Now onto the way I have made it work is to add the r9 290 IDs to the kext AMD8000Controller and AMDRadeonX4000 the ID being 0x67B11002

You can do this your self or download my Kext and copy and paste them into S/L/E use something like kext wizard to repair permissions after! (kext wizard can be found here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/253395-kext-wizard-easy-to-use-kext-installer-and-more/ )

if you want to do this your self you are going to want to right click AMD8000controller.kext and click show contents then go to Contents and info.plist

find the line with "<key>Controller</key>"

<key>Controller</key>
		<dict>
			<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
			<string>com.apple.kext.AMD8000Controller</string>
			<key>IOClass</key>
			<string>AMD8000Controller</string>
			<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
			<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
			<key>IOName</key>
			<string>AMD8000Controller</string>
			<key>IOPCIMatch</key>
			<string>0x45001002 0x46001002 0x66401002 0x66411002 0x66461002 0x66501002 0x66511002 0x665C1002 0x665D1002 0x67B11002</string>
			<key>IOProbeScore</key>
			<integer>65050</integer>
			<key>IOProviderClass</key>
			<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
			<key>aty_config</key>
			<dict>

Under the line "<key>IOPCIMatch</key>" You'll want to add the r9 290 ID (0x67B11002) 

save and close

you'll want to do this exact same thing to the  AMDRadeonX4000.kext

make sure your SMBIOS is set to Mac pro 6.1 in clover! this is the only one I get full res and everything at I don't know about others

now reboot! 

don't forget to boot with kext-dev-mode=1 

now you should boot into OS X with the card fully working!

R9 edited kext download link (for dp8)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gl4yqhem75bzryv/r9%20290%20dp8.zip?dl=0

Known issues as of now

1. Dual monitors do not work (unless you have more than one r9 290)

2. Screen flashing/jumping upon boot (a temp fix is to just unplug the video cable from the back wait 2 seconds or so and plug it back in)

3. If you are using 2 cards you will get window server errors causing the screen to freeze on and off until a perma freeze takes place you will need to hard reset after this point

and as always please share your findings to help others! 

Will this work with the r9 390 as it is essentially the same card? 

think I found out something crucial!

I have an Asus R9 290 DC II, which was a total {censored} while trying to use OSx. However, I downloaded Olarila's USB image and tried to install with that.

In Clover, I'm using Inject Ati, 0x67B01002 as FakeID and $ Baladi as framebuffer.

Now this is the crucial part. If I include the $ before the FB I can boot. If I don't? No boot.

I have absolutely no idea what this character means (sudo related?) but for my card, it's the big difference between OSx or no OSx.

My card works in both Yosemite and El Capitan without any issues. Gets recognized as an AMD Radeon 8xxx with 4096mb of VRAM.

I really hope this is something that helps out you guys :)