iAtkos is not free anymore :(

KunLibertad

63 posts in this topic

It's not about the users.

Slice, how do you feel about someone else taking donations for using your work?

If it was me, I wouldn't be okay with that and I think it's important to take a stand, just like we do with TonyMac. Because whoever is behind iATKOS these days is now doing the same thing.

• Like 2

I would not help someone using a distro for two reasons:

- the OS X software was acquired illegally (and in this case, sold illegally)

- untangling the mess caused by a distro is a waste of my time... and theirs

That's your personal decision, we have decided not to ban the use of regular distros here, I believe one of our administrators has stated that "that would be hypocritical, and denying our past", which makes total sense to me.

But I agree with you, I've learned now to steer clear (most of the time). It's the untangling part that's the worst. No matter how compatible the hardware is, even if you try doing "something right" you could cause things to break because of the way the installed distro was put together...that you didn't know about because you've never used said distro....or you have, but that was 4 years ago...

It's just uphill all the way. And the irony is (Alanis should add a verse about it) distros were supposed to make it easy.

In my opinion, I see that they have the right to ask for a donation, because of the hard work, but seriously, they'll make it harder when preparing a full distro for a specific hardware, and it will make them follow him all the way long during the installation process and post-install, and this will be very painful for them w/ new people doing this ( I don't really like the "noob" term, everyone was "noob" one day, and he/she is still "noob" in other things).

Well I think that's contrary to Hackintosh spirit, but yeah, you can't change it, its there work, there are free to do whatever they want since OS X.9 is free :/ (just saying, correct me if I'm wrong) :D

They will help others with their own kexts? 

will not need to use a bootloader or other kexts? 

If they receive so they should pay people 

developed all of which they use. 

they receive for free and charge for it? 

Once whom will receive a copy is so if you make a "donation" 

I see this as a direct sale.

When you can easily install OS X without a program using either myHack, Vanilla or whatever method, I find it ridiculous when sites and people revert to creating software for only profit. 

I hope the InsanelyMac community stays in their current practice and keeps educating Hackintoshers to utilize the right methods of Installing OS X without looking to make revenue in the process.

And about distros, I have forbidden myself to ever try them, because I find it to be a knockoff and nothing else. It's useless to me honestly. 

I still think that asking for a donation is okay, since there is a lot of work put into a generic solution for a hackintosh install.

Exactly. It's not okay to require a donation for something you put together using software written by other people, given to the community for free.

They are probably violating numerous open source licenses...

The only distro I would ever use is one I made myself.

I stopped doing that a long time ago.

vanilla with sometimes some mods is sufficient and in my opinion better.

Paying for a modified version of Apple's OS is illegal and ridiculous...

what seems to be funny in this story is that when by the past we needed pay to have the previous releases of OS X,  iATKOS' releases were free. And now when we have a free OS X release, iATKOS is not free anymore.

:lol:

anyway, perhaps we should ask the owner (uphuck) for more infos about all of that. Maybe it's something that we have misunderstood or misinterpreted.  ;)

• Like 3

We should not help users of these distros. There are authors who should do this.

We should help users of OSX no matter how it was installed.

Seems like a direct contradiction.

When you help user with, for example, PS2 driver then did you ask about vanilla or distro?

Slice, how do you feel about someone else taking donations for using your work?

If it was me, I wouldn't be okay with that and I think it's important to take a stand, just like we do with TonyMac. Because whoever is behind iATKOS these days is now doing the same thing.

You didn't hear me.

Users paid not for OSX but for individual support.

For me I began from iDeneb and I am very thankful to author(s) for the distro. I made my hack before I understood what and how.

About donation. I don't like to look into someone pocket. I will not ask donation for me because I don't want to be bound to someone.

This donation will not be replacement for my salary.

• Like 3

agree with slice. i think they offer help on instalation service based on customer rig.

quote 'iATKOS M is a general OSX86 release but each iATKOS_M.dmg image will be unique for its target computer " they have no obligation to release GENERAL iatkos M.its same like i made custom installer for my friends laptops.some of them pay me for making the installer, some dont. i dont slipstreaming the basesystembinaries though.

• Like 1

Some stupid losers, decide that they can {censored} everyone and get money for free stuff/tools/solutions. 

The OS X is free itself, kexts are free, chameleon and clover are free, smbios is free ... iAtkos - paid. 

So everybody in hackintosh comunity all over the world, work to give free tools and somebody will get them to earn money. Go to {censored} yourselfs iAtkos team. 

There is insanelymac and tonymacx, where everybody can read, learn and install vanilla OS X. Its about 1 hour or less. 

iAtkos was allways been {censored} and now is not different. THE DISTROS ARE NOT THE SOLUTION TO INSTALL OS X ANYMORE.

Cant compare paid Linux with proffessional support 24/7 with this freak "something" iAtkos. 

Paid Lunix has hundreds of developers, who change and modify the system a lot and use linux kernel just for base. These are usualy server/corporate/buisiness distrost but not for a casual user. 

Did you heard about paid Ubuntu/Mageia/Mint/Debian/Fedora and ect. where the developers really work very hard for the system and write code?

Dont compare so respected and supported Lunix distros with some street losers from iAtkos team who decide to collect some free tools/apps and make it paid without doing anything special or write even 1 row code. 

Did you ever hear about paid Linux?

I will ask you something. 

Do you know what donation mean?

There is no such a thing as COMPULSORY donation. 

Donation is free of taxes, so iAtkos team will be law breaker with their "compulsory" donation!

Imagine how Microsoft or Adobe wants "compulsory" donations for their products instead of pays .. Thats fun right? 

880 hits! iAtkos becoming popular again lol

About this post.

I would like to ask the administrators and moderators of insanelymac something. Can I make free of charge advertising of my online store (where I earn money), like this user who made the same think with his products where he earn money?

I`ve got a lot of friends who will be very hapy to post threads here with free advertising.

This guy adveritse online store here and this thread is spam. May be somebody should delete this thread and every advertising of iAtkos "money-dream team".

When you help user with, for example, PS2 driver then did you ask about vanilla or distro?

You didn't hear me.

Users paid not for OSX but for individual support.

For me I began from iDeneb and I am very thankful to author(s) for the distro. I made my hack before I understood what and how.

About donation. I don't like to look into someone pocket. I will not ask donation for me because I don't want to be bound to someone.

This donation will not be replacement for my salary.

Even if what they're requiring the donation for is the files to install osx on an x86 machine, Mavericks a fully copyrighted protected operating system is still included in the package of iAtkos. So yes, if you look at it as a whole they are actually requiring a donation for the boot loader, kexts, and other mods that are probably mostly made of community effort, and Mavericks. 

Installation of x86 is different then post installation too, but I would also say offer support depending on the situation.

Disguise it how you want to disguise it, the OS is licensed and copyrighted and is being distributed outside of Apple so it is considered piracy. I can easily say just for that fact alone I don't support piracy. 

As I stated at the outset (post #24): "I would not knowingly help anyone using a distro." (emphasis added).

About this post.

I would like to ask the administrators and moderators of insanelymac something. Can I make free of charge advertising of my online store (where I earn money), like this user who made the same think with his products where he earn money?

I`ve got a lot of friends who will be very hapy to post threads here with free advertising.

This guy adveritse online store here and this thread is spam. May be somebody should delete this thread and every advertising of iAtkos "money-dream team".

You have a point, but the problem is that here we are discussing the fact that iATKOS (which has been a legit method for installing OS X till now) is no longer free. If I were to delete this topic, probably I'd be accused of censorship. Same with the "Permanently Banned From Tonymacx86" topic. It could be seen as tonymac advertisement, but also as freedom of speech.