Power management for Sandy/Ivy Bridge/Haswell CPUs

Pimentel

533 posts in this topic

Try and monitor your P States and CPU multiplier with DCPIManager. GeekBench will be using both cores and you'll therefore never get beyond 2.5GHz (unless you can boot with cpus=1 equivalent as a try-out). You'll only seldomly experience 2.7GHz. But you don't have to believe me of course...

dpcimanager not work on el capitain

• 1 month later...

Hi Allan and all others, I am having a seriously hard time with this build, which is now probably going to be a temporary one as i got that frustrated with SB that I purchased two Ivy Bridge processors instead.

I have tried this build on multiple smBIOS types and have pretty much got them all working other than the power management AICPM has become the bane of my life.

Hardware Specs:

Dual E5-2680v1 Sandy Bridge Eight

Asus Z9PE-D8 WS with modded 5802 bios to unlock MSR

Nvidia GTX660Ti 2048 DDR5

32Gb Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

All other hardware is pretty much cosmetic stuff that I don't really struggle with

With Mac Pro 6,1 current, i use a patching SSDT for my graphics card to prevent black screen sleep. This build is now having to boot with NullPowerManagement, without it i can't even boot anymore with Clover without generating a AICPM KP. I have tried addressing this with replacing AICPM with a fresh untouched one from the El_Cap install media to no avail. Replaced in Clover Kexts folder as well as S/L/E. I chose the MacPro 6,1 with them being LGA2011 based computers think it would be easier. (hahhahha)

I have tried other smBIOS types including ... Mac Pro 3,1 and 5,1 | MacBookPro 8,3 and iMac 12,2.

All the Mac Pro's complain of no Sandy Bridge when trying ssdtPRGen

I am pretty much at a loss now. The CPU's i have are ES/QS but have been told that this should not be the problem as speed step and turbo work fine in Windows and that the clock speeds reported by my BIOS are accurate to the retail versions. I know the fault is here with me, i can't do so many installs and still fail with power-management unless i am doing something wrong. I have read so many threads and articles that I am now just brain dead with it all.

I have managed to generate several SSDT with PikerA's script but when ever they have been successful they always KP with setting P-Limit is not allowed on this system - Default generated SSDT just gets totally ignored by Clover as if it never existed. I can produced spoofed SSDT with settings like ...

~/ssdtPRGen.sh -target 1 -lfm 1200 -turbo 3500 -t 130 -p 'E5-2697 v2' -l 32 -f 2700

However these type of settings fail too, but at least generate outputs without a KP so i am now asking for help here after trying several other forums, which smBIOS type would you say to try next ? Is this build worth trying to save/repair ? Is this build Mac Pro 6,1 with Dual Sandies even possible ? 

Thanks for any pointers - suggestions etc

Martin

(TpwUK)

Have you tried use AICPMpatch and let Clover choose the SMBios?

Note: If you use AICPMpatch, the NullCPM will need be deleted.

Maybe this guide can help you: Sandy Bridge-E & Ivy Bridge-E Power management 10.11 (Final App store realease)

Thanks for the reply Allan, I have tried as you first recommend which is where the MacBookPro8,3 came from, sadly AICPMpatch did not work. Your advice in point 3, i tried that one, when i run the first script provided it results in command not found from line 12 thru 17, so i then tried the clover patch as provided there, at that point i had to switch to NullCPM. I replaced the AICPM from ElCap_Installer into S/L/E and removed the patches from clover, but all i get now is KP's as soon as boot starts, the only way i can boot now is with NullCPM.

I tried my USB Installer and that still works fine as it should, so I even tried copying the kexts from there back onto my boot SDD, removed my DSDT and SSDT files from the boot drive and rebooted, and it still just goes to an immediate KP so I am at a total loss now. 

Martin

(TwUK)

• 3 weeks later...

OK Guys,

I am new to this all but I think found my way in pretty fast. I need some help/confirmation to understand if I managed to get the PM Beast mild or still in the wild.

Firstly, my rig:

i7 - 4790K

Gigabyte Z97-X Gaming GT

EVGA GTX 970 AAC+ 2,0 SC

16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport GT

224 SanDisk Ultra SSD

Using Yosemite 10.10.5 (14F27)

Using Clover Bootloader: Boot Args: -v kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1 dart=0

No -xcpm, I also do not use Kernel Patches.

I used the SSDTprgen tool and made my SSDT at the very beginning of my journy using a iMac14,2 SMBIOS. I never changed this and still using the same SSDT, which I understood is ok as it is related to the CPU only.

Put the SSDT in my /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/PATCHED folder and reboot. All worked.

XCPM is showing registered, and IOPPF Mode 1

Then playing around with the SMBIOS I had an incident that while logging into iCloud iMessage popped up working, so I stuck to the SMBIOS used that moment (MacPro 5,1).

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext showed P-States 8, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 as also found in my BIOS. Which was not enough for me but I read this is pretty much what others experience.

Now fiddling around I found a thread speaking about Vector Injecting and also a Workaround to get the ERP Timer / Standby Delay Problem fixed, which I combined.

I went into IOPlatformFamily.kext and found X86PlatformFamily.kext in this I copied the Definitions for MacbookPro 11,2 and the iMac14,2 copying the Vectors from 11,2 into the file 14,2 which I renamed with the System ID of my MacPro 5,1. Open KextUtility and restart.

Now it starts, all seems to work, Power Nap, Sleep etc. I have P-States 8,17,40,41,42,43,44. Power consumption is very little and the temps are at 31-32°C at idle, sounds ok to me.

BUT, what I cannot justify is that HWMonitor shows CPU Package Values that are like 792Hz or 3,69Mhz..

Is my PowerManagement working and are these values correct for a real Mac?

Thank for your help.

PS. If this may be the wrong thread, may I ask you to move it to a correct thread/sub-forum?

post-1711059-0-10325000-1463485306_thumb.png

The IOReg that contains the right P-states are "MacPro w plist edit".

I built an Hack with a very similar hardware, and i get more states with iMac SMBios.  :)

Power Management + Sleep works 100%

• Like 1

So this I got right and finished? Funny, with iMac SMBios I only get 8, 40, 44 (iMac 14,2). This is why I trick the computer using this Plist editing but SMbios of 5,1?

P.S. I say that measuring with HWMonitor, DCPI and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagementInfo.kext. But the last is only running in an old version, the new ones gives me KP. Maybe there is the prob me not seeing it.

Thanks for your help!

Mhh, maybe...may I ask one more :rolleyes:

AGPM: platform unknown. The AGPMinject.kext gives me KP. Can I just ignore that?

Yeah, with iMac SMBios we have less P-States than Macbook Pro or Mac Pros, but this not means that your Power Management are wrong or incomplete.

Look , this is the Hack that i've built: [Guide] Asus Z97 Deluxe + Yosemite 10.10.5

And i can use Final Cut, Adobe Premiere and all Adobe apps at maximum performance.  :yes:

About use AICPMInfo, download the lasted version - v1.5

AGPM: platform unknown. The AGPMinject.kext gives me KP. Can I just ignore that?

Hmmm, what you did to enable your GPU?

• Like 1

Hi,

got this working. Remember, I geek the IOPlatfromFamily.kext by cloning and renaming the iMac14,2.plist to a MacPro5,1.plist, this way I got Power Nap and some boot errors resolved.  :lol:

From here AGPM was checking for the vendor id in the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext which was not available. What I did is: I went into the kext, opened the info.plist.

From here under IOKitPersonalities I copied the AGPM tree into my info.plist in my FakeSMC and deleted all under machine but my MacPro5,1. Now I changed the vendor id and edited the Threshold as per below tutorial.

https://www.root86.com/topic/6283-nvidia-howto-patch-agpmkext-für-g-states/

And this is how it looks now.

This now should run on-the-fly and may be even update secure.

Only thing I cannot judge is if the G-States in above Tut are correct, maybe you can confirm. I like to avoid damaging my Hardware which i doubt I do with above but anyway.

post-1711059-0-25075300-1463559734_thumb.png

post-1711059-0-11818300-1463559740_thumb.png

About use AICPMInfo, download the lasted version - v1.5

Despite you confirmed it is working and I can close that file, I tested that just now. Got it from here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304369-how-to-check-your-states-–-using-aicpminfo-msrdumper-or-appleintelinfo/and did as you suggested. When loading at Boot in EFI Folder, I am getting a KP. Manually loading I get this:

post-1711059-0-03868200-1463567599_thumb.png

Yes...I indeed did that and it didn´t work.No output at all.

The ACPUPMInfo.kext in the same thread immediatly creates a KP when manually loading it in OSX.

I had this eversince, just remembered your post was the one I got the files from originally at the very beginning - oh gosh, I had no idea what you wanted to say :)

Well, it seems running stable and also AGPM, that is the most important. Think at the end I will share my personal HowTo here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
./ssdtPRGen.sh

post-626651-0-32068000-1469025787_thumb.png

sudo ./ssdtPRGen.sh 2600 55

post-626651-0-76791300-1469025815_thumb.png

This happens in Sierra public beta with and without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext. Processor is Celeron G1610 (Ivy Bridge) at 2.6GHz so the value should be 2600, right?  :help:

• 2 months later...

Greetings,

Will this work for El Capitan 10.11.6?

I have as follows:

Intel core i3 2nd Generation Sandybridge 2310 @ 2100GHz 

TDP: 35

Intel HD3000

This information provided by Ark at Intel, thanks to your link.

Had to use Enoch latest version 2839.  

Clover latest caused my desktop to have 4 screens. or 4 mini desktops.  Haven't figured out why yet because this is my first go.  Been at this now for 1 month.  Many long nights.

I'm still not sure what to use strictly in org.chameleon.boot.plist, its' been quite trying.  But it's fun.

Before I embark I would like a definite as I'm overseas in nomansland and I don't have a PC store to go and buy a new pc if I brick this one.  Have had many reinstalls due to not knowing what to configure in the boot loader and  what kexts to place in SLE.  Wow what a tremendous learning curve.

However it is fun.

Thank you for providing this post.

I hope it works for my unit.

Mak