[SOLVED] Asus ROG laptops with Kepler cards not detecting DP-2 connected LCD display

gazzacbr

165 posts in this topic

Hi,

EDIT: to avoid reading several pages and in the hope of a guru to help out :help:  , the basic problem seems to be that the LCD with 120hz/3D screen is connected to the internal display port DP-2 which is not recognised alone by OS X. Once booted from a vga monitor everything is perfect, 120hz and full QE/CI acceleration.

Ubuntu can start without any problems. EDID and other injected strings have not made any difference so far.

i have an Asus laptop G750 with GTX 770m card and 3D screen cannot get Mavericks 10.9 to boot without removing nvdaresman or using -x (no drivers)

i can however boot with a 1080p dell monitor in the vga port and it will start and then fire up the laptop screen at the login prompt. full res and accelleration on both. i can then disconnect the dell monitor and carry on running. i can "detect displays" and it will now show only the 1 lcd attached. even after sleep i still have full graphics.

the internal lcd is a Samsung 3D (was it blocked by apple deliberately????)

however, i still cannot boot the laptop without the vga monitor.

(the intel onboard graphics are not internally connected so thats not an option)

the EDID setings are as per

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/208410-fixing-scrambledstretched-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/

the lcd screen is now correctly recognised by name and number but only after its booted with the vga monitor attached.

i am looking for clues here as to what i can do next...

EDIT: just noticed that my problems seem to be related to (mine is 7 series but also kepler)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284767-anyone-mobile-kepler-6xxm-working/

post-393777-0-77285600-1384682125_thumb.jpg

post-393777-0-41816300-1384682139_thumb.jpg

Hi,

i have an Asus laptop G750 with GTX 770m card and 3D screen cannot get Mavericks 10.9 to boot without removing nvdaresman or using -x (no drivers)

i can however boot with a 1080p dell monitor in the vga port and it will start and then fire up the laptop screen at the login prompt. full res and accelleration on both. i can then disconnect the dell monitor and carry on running. i can "detect displays" and it will now show only the 1 lcd attached. even after sleep i still have full graphics.

the internal lcd is a Samsung 3D (was it blocked by apple deliberately????)

however, i still cannot boot the laptop without the vga monitor.

(the intel onboard graphics are not internally connected so thats not an option)

the EDID setings are as per

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/208410-fixing-scrambledstretched-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/

the lcd screen is now correctly recognised by name and number but only after its booted with the vga monitor attached.

i am looking for clues here as to what i can do next...

EDIT: just noticed that my problems seem to be related to (mine is 7 series but also kepler)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284767-anyone-mobile-kepler-6xxm-working/

I can suggest that u try clover bootloader and use option inject edid + dual link=1

• Like 1

Hi,

still trying many combinations but no luck. kernel, chameleon/clover versions and modded kexts are making no difference.

over on http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE which where i came from the only difference seems to be my 3D screen unless i have missed something.

ubuntu (and obviously windows 7 & 8) boots no problem.

with clover settings  inject edid + dual link=1 and EDID string added to plist result was the same :(

@styrian: not sure what you mean. can you explain a bit more?

thanks.

Hi,

still trying many combinations but no luck. kernel, chameleon/clover versions and modded kexts are making no difference.

over on http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?39406-ASUS-G750JX-OSX-Mavericks-INSTALL-GUIDE which where i came from the only difference seems to be my 3D screen unless i have missed something.

ubuntu (and obviously windows 7 & 8) boots no problem.

with clover settings  inject edid + dual link=1 and EDID string added to plist result was the same :(

@styrian: not sure what you mean. can you explain a bit more?

thanks.

Hello!

Look at the output of IORegistryExplorer for the hex values of NVDA, Display-A@0/ B@1, display-cfg.   If they differ from the standard value "ff ff ff ff" - mine are for example for the Nvidia Quadro 4000 on Desktop: NVDA, Display-A@0, display-cfg: "03 01 03 00", Display-B@1, display-cfg: "ff ff 00 01".

One is allowed to set user predefined hex values for the display ports in org.Chameleon.boot.plist. The settings for this are for example:

<key>display_0</key>

<string>03010300</string>

<key>display_1</key>

<string>ffff0001</string>

Try to exchange your values with one for the other to make your external port be recognized as port ofr your LVDS.

You should also try to switch your bootloader to Chameleon or  Enoch with manually new installing the boot files. (Can be found here in Downloads), if you are using, as in the linked guide mentioned, Chimera as bootloader.

The linked guide is a big fake one, that can´t lead to any successful working install. One is only spending much time.

Making a version of Clover without supporting GTX 770m working, is a big  fake and lie. (See post #5 of Slice) :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Have fun.

• Like 1

@Slice: "Before now your card is unsupported by Clover. Try tomorrow revision."
Thanks, that will be great for proper support but how is it that other (non 3D screen) users are running successfully with the same card but not me?

i assume that the card is using a generic keplar 6xxx format to work.

I have just seen another post where someone mentioned "120Hz display requires displayport instead of the typical LVDS".
I am not yet sure what that means exactly but IF that is the case then it seems that it must be related to my problem.

having no luck searching as "displayport" always gives results for people trying to get 'external' displayport working or internal intel HD graphics.
not even sure exactly where the problem is, with chameleon or clover not initialising the right graphics or with os x

@styrian: have checked the display-cfg booted with -x and with monitor attached (full accell on lcd and monitor) and all 4 entries are the standard value "ff ff ff ff"

in system profile my connection type for the lcd is DisplayPort

"to make your external port be recognized as port of your LVDS" I am thinking I dont have LVDS. is there a way to check?

the

Is your gfx-card recognized?  Try to set for port 0 in orginal.chameleon.boot.plist with ChameleonWizard this value: ffff0001. It is only a try, that it could match. Might end with black or grey screen.

Have fun.

Hi, thanks for the tips but still no luck.

the gfx card is recognised as shown in #1. tried setting port 0 and 1 but black screen same as before.

very annoying that it works so well, 3d accel, sleep/wake, dual monitor switching etc. but just wont fire up on its own. only with monitor attached.

i did try hdmi vi the TV but that didnt work either. only the vga port will start.

it must be related to the displayport connection internally but i am not sure what i need to change.

i will do another clean install and give the latest Clover a try as suggested by Slice.

EDIT: i have just checked from Ubuntu Nvidia x server settings and the lcd is driven by DisplayPort as os x shows.

as someone on asus rog suggested, os x is not able to start driving a screen from DisplayPort.

does anyone know how i can tell os x to look for the internal display port first?

p.s. i am not having fun :(...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for the tips but still no luck.

the gfx card is recognised as shown in #1. tried setting port 0 and 1 but black screen same as before.

very annoying that it works so well, 3d accel, sleep/wake, dual monitor switching etc. but just wont fire up on its own. only with monitor attached.

i did try hdmi vi the TV but that didnt work either. only the vga port will start.

it must be related to the displayport connection internally but i am not sure what i need to change.

i will do another clean install and give the latest Clover a try as suggested by Slice.

EDIT: i have just checked from Ubuntu Nvidia x server settings and the lcd is driven by DisplayPort as os x shows.

as someone on asus rog suggested, os x is not able to start driving a screen from DisplayPort.

does anyone know how i can tell os x to look for the internal display port first?

p.s. i am not having fun :(...

This is exactly what I´m trying to explain to people in this forum. Untill now, there´s no Mac connected by default to DisplayPort. All are connected to LDVS and hdmi (mac mini) All Macs with displayport or minidisplayport fires other screen first. So for us, having 120hz displays we need to solve that first. That is the reason I need to figure out how to touch the GFX0 section of the DSDT.

@Styrian is making a big effort to colaborate with this, but I think we better focus on giving OSX parameters on forgetting about other connections but display port.

@gazzacbr When you say that you can boot with full graphics support as long as you connect the VGA port first, I assume you leave NVDAResman.kext in its default location. How did you discovered that?

@Styrian can you explain what are those flags in chameleon with more details. I mean, the option to set hex values for display 0, 1 and what is the importance of that?

Thanx

• Like 1

If you boot with graphicsenabler=yes you get these values under NVDA-Display display-cfg. On newer PC Nvidia cards   it seems to have always the values, 03010300 for display-cfg display-A and ffff0001 for display-B. If the port is not recognized by it´s own values, there is the value: fffffffff.You can set these values with chameleon wizard or add the following keys in textedit like this way:

<key>display_0</key>
    <string>03010300</string>

<key>display_1</key>
    <string>ffff0001</string>

You could try to exchance the values one with the other.

You can also inject in the bootplist a value for NVCAP like this:

<key>NVCAP_xxxx(your device ID, mine is 06dd)</key>
    <string>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</key>

GE has to be set to yes for injecting this values.

I have noticed that your are using the SMBios of an iMac 12. This model does in any way match your cpu or your gfx card and seems to be causing problems with PM and other system related things of your g75.

I suggest,that you should use the SMBios of MBP 9,1 or 10,1, eventually one of iMac 13. Apple seems to use the same NVCAP values for all models with kepler cards of Nvidia 6 series. Just do a clean vanilla install by using one of the suggested SMBios on your install stick and try to get PM working and also edit AGPM with the values from your gfx-card under the entry of your used SMBios. You should also stay away from hacking kexts like the special ASUS ones. Try to get a proper working DSDT, even if there are many warings and remarks. They do not matter. Get the ssdt script from Pike´s github and generate a ssdt.aml file for your cpu and afterwards you should set the key DropSSDT=Yes and deactivate all other keys in the energy settings of Chameleon. It seems also to be a bit importent to have a well dedected display. Make yours fully working with a forced display EDID. The generated string must have 256 bytes because of 120hz display. On 60hz displays it is 128 bytes long. It does not matter at the moment, that the display is dedected as external.

I have made for you an efi string for your gfx-card, that you could try after a fresh install with changed SMBios. Add it with ChameleonWizard or TextEdit as last key of org.chameleon.boot.plist:

<key>device-properties</key>

<string>Insert string here</string>

I can not guarantee, that it is really workingIt´s just an experiment like a blind shot in the dark.

Have fun.

NiPeGun.hex.zip

"When you say that you can boot with full graphics support as long as you connect the VGA port first, I assume you leave NVDAResman.kext in its default location. How did you discovered that?"

Hi,

i use a kvm at the office and usually switch between windows stuff and my pc.

i was just hacking and rebooting, as you do to try to track down the non-starter. i was helped (and also thrown off track) by the guys on asus rog forums saying how perfect their hacks were with seemly the same laptop. they have the normal 60hz screens which must be connected standard lvds

one time i happened to leave the kvm connected and booted the hack. amazingly my desktop screen fired up and then the laptop screen also.

NVDAResman.kext, geforce and others are all as standard.

(i dont have a monitor at home so this means i can only fire up 'real working' hack when i am at the office. if i sleep i am ok but cannot reboot although i do have a safe version i can use)

i have noticed that since i added in the EDID that i have lost the display option in os x for 120hz which means i was better when it was just recognised natively.

maybe that could be added into the profile later.

@styrian: I am actually using the SMBios of an iMac 14,2 as the asus rog guys had sorted out power saving (maybe some other stuff) using that model and some modded power kexts. i will try your suggestions this weekend.

you are correct about the 256 byte EDID string and its version is 1.4

also, are we still better following Chameleon rather than Clover? (or even Chamaelon???, check your sig  ;):P )

i have both right now as i have 2 internal disks to play with.

although my mbr disk multi-boots with many other os's

p.s. thanks to all for continued interest in our 'unusual' situation but i am sure there will be more 3d 120hz screens appearing so hopefully some good lessons learnt :thumbsup_anim:  maybe even a 3D 120hz mac will be out for xmas... :hysterical:

@gazzabcbr

You should stay at your Smbios. In case of NiPeGun his choice seems to me completelly wrong. Can you upload an ioreg with your partial working gfx and the pci root value of it?

I´ll try to make you an Efi string. At the moment my 3d lappy (Dell SE 7720) is bricked and needs to be repaired. Therefore I can try nothing with Kepler by myself at the moment. But my method of doing an Efi string works on Fermi M cards very well. They are recognized with an internal display.

I am pretty sure about the length of 256 byte for the EDID of a 3D display. If you read the EDID out, there has not be a "$" sign as last sign at the end. Then the EDID is not complete. If your EDID is complete, you should have some other frequences between 60 hz and 120 hz, which you can select.

Do you have an original IOreg of an iMac 14,2 or an other Apple device with Kepler 7-series gfx? Sharing this would be nice.

I don´t  know Clover exactly, but you should also be able to inject an Efi string. If you don´t need UEFI at the moment, I think, Chameleon makes it easier to try things, espacally you have a CCC Clone (don´t forget to install bootloader on it, after cloning) of the hd-install, you can boot from, if something is going wrong. If the system is working, it should be easier to configure clover on an usbstick and after it is working, with an install on hd.

Have fun.

I think Styrian was talking about me about device properties and SMBios...

That is correct.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Hi,

ok, got it, sticking with iMac 14,2 then.

attached is ioreg and also the override in S/L/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-4ca3/DisplayProductID-5044 i made for now just for the description (as in post #1) really as it didn't make any other difference (added .txt as forum wouldn't let me upload a file with no extension)

ioreg attached as requested. pciroot is 0 as i have not changed it.

sh-3.2# ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI\ " | grep UID
    | | |   "_UID" = "0"

these are the card values and the EDID string:

sh-3.2# ioreg -n AppleBacklightDisplay -lw0 -x | grep DisplayVendorID
    | |   |   | |           "DisplayVendorID" = 0x4ca3
sh-3.2# ioreg -n AppleBacklightDisplay -lw0 -x | grep DisplayProductID
    | |   |   | |           "DisplayProductID" = 0x5044
sh-3.2# ioreg -n AppleBacklightDisplay -lw0 -x | grep DisplayEDID
    | |   |   | |           "IODisplayEDID" = <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>

thanks

gazzacbr GTX770M ioreg.txt

DisplayProductID-5044.txt

Hi,

@styrian: thanks for quick reply

the laptop is on its own now. fired up with the vga monitor which is now disconnected. detect displays is only showing internal screen.

gfxutil shows this

sh-3.2# gfxutil -f display
DevicePath = PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

ioreg is attached, GE=No

i am not at work until Sunday now so will not be able to guarantee a reboot :(
(well, only to one of the other 6 os's i have :P)
unless of course there is a miracle breakthrough ;)

what is the difference between an EFI string and EDID?
i have used EFI strings a long time back (for Snow Leopard something) but never heard of EDID until this problem  :blush:

gazzacbr GTX770M ioreg.txt

Hello!

With an EFI String and an EDID you can inject properties of hardware. The EFI String is a from xml to hex converted file and makes it in this way readable for a bootloader. You can also make combined EFI Strings, for example for a gfx card and an ethernet nic in the same string. The EDID is a xml file (plist), but in this way readable for OSX. Even on real Macs you can make unkown displays fully recognized by it´s properties and values in this way.

For the display EDID you can read the linked topics, if you are interested in it. Here you go: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/208410-fixing-scrambledstretched-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/?hl=%20forced%20%20edid http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290077-get-your-display-recognized-and-working-as-imac-thunderbolt-macbook-pro-or-cinema-hd-display/?hl=%2Bforced+%2Bedid&do=findComment&comment=1927351  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281412-how-to-advanced-edid-injection/?hl=%2Badvanced+%2Bdisplay+%2Bedid&do=findComment&comment=1849231

Is your display with my for you done EDID now fully recognized by OSX? That means you have the correct resolution of 1920 x 1080 and at least also 800 x 600 and some selectable working frequences like 60 hz, 100 hz, 110 hz and 120 hz recognized?

Is the EfI string, that I have done for NiPeGun working for you? The pciroot value of this string is the same, you have posted above. You could really try to boot with this string and post results.

Today I have extracted the ioreg of an iMac 14,1 in a quick and dirty way at a compu store and saved it on an usb stick. I will have tomorrow a nearer look an it. A quick look gave no big differences to the ioreg for the iMac 13 models in the relation of Nvidia gfx.

Have fun.

Hi,

not sure where this is going now. the EDID for me is just to show the correct display type and possibly set resolutions.

an ioreg from iMac 14,2 is only going to help me if it is using 120hz IDP display.

are there any macs that use a display connected to an IDP?

i will try a reboot with your efi tomorrow when i am back in the office. no point now as i will only get one go if it doesnt work the first time :(

as i said before, os x recognised my display (when booted from vga) without doing anything. i had full resolution, qe/ci  and choices to change the resolution and/or frequency.

i was experimenting with EDID values in the hope that the boot loader could find my screen and allow me to boot normally.

now it seems that the display type was never the problem but the bootloader actually seeing the IDP port first.

pciroot was also not the problem.

so, the original problem is still the same but what is most likely to help?

i am still not sure what exactly i need to be changing and where :(

so i think my question is, are there settings in an EFI or EDID that i can give to Chameleon/Clover that will tell it to look for a display on IDP?

(p.s. this is (nearly) all new to me but i am trying to learn...)

Hi,

not sure where this is going now. the EDID for me is just to show the correct display type and possibly set resolutions.

an ioreg from iMac 14,2 is only going to help me if it is using 120hz IDP display.

i will try a reboot with your efi tomorrow when i am back in the office. no point now as i will only get one go if it doesnt work the first time :(

as i said before, os x recognised my display (when booted from vga) without doing anything. i had full resolution, qe/ci and choices to change the resolution and/or frequency.

i was experimenting with EDID values in the hope that the boot loader could find my screen and allow me to boot normally.

now it seems that the display type was never the problem but the bootloader actually seeing the IDP port first.

so i think my question is, are there settings in an EFI or EDID that i can give to Chameleon/Clover that will tell it to look for a display on IDP?

I've been thinking the same since 2 or 3 months. The difference is that my notebook doesn't boot like yours with vga connected and nvdaresman on it. You are lucky.

Anyway, I have the way to proof that the display is connected through displayport. Is as easy to boot linux (debian based) use nvidia privative drivers, install and run nvidia-settings (sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings) and take note of the info provided by nvidia. You will see the connector port and the brand of you display. nvidia-settings even lets you to get the edid.

BUT I tell you (as MANY times before) teach me how to indicate the system to make use ONLY displayport and bypass its preference to use VGA first (or any other port) and we gonna solve this. I don't know how to do that but I know you will say "NiPeGun was right"

Hi,

as i said before, os x recognised my display (when booted from vga) without doing anything. i had full resolution, qe/ci  and choices to change the resolution and/or frequency.

The primary keys, to get laptops with mobile Kepler cards (not Optimus enabled) working, is to get the laptop display recognized as display "A" (the first one to show up as internal) and inject a well done mix of properties and values, which Apple is using for the MBP (iMac models don´t have many of these informations), and the ones of the own card. By inserting this values and properties at early boot time with an EFI String, one make the running system believe, that it is using the laptop nvidia kepler card as an Apple branded one. In any way it is good, to have a display, which is dedected by it´s own properties to make it correct as backlight display, which Apple is using as primary internal display, working.

Have fun.

The primary keys, to get laptops with mobile Kepler cards (not Optimus enabled) working, is to get the laptop display recognized as display "A" (the first one to show up as internal) and inject a well done mix of properties and values, which Apple is using for the MBP (iMac models don´t have many of these informations), and the ones of the own card. By inserting this values and properties at early boot time with an EFI String, one make the running system believe, that it is using the laptop nvidia kepler card as an Apple branded one. In any way it is good, to have a display, which is dedected by it´s own properties to make it correct as backlight display, which Apple is using as primary internal display, working.

Have fun.

Noticed... But how will OSX detect the display if doesn't look at displayport first?

That´s my main worry. Even if display info is correctly available to the system, if the connector is no fired first, the system never reaches that edid. I supose...

@NiPeGun: that seems to be all it is... the EDID is seen too late and only used once the display is actually found.

Styrian is also correct as even now typing on my hack with only 1 internal display showing it is seen as NVDA,Display@B-1 and not NVDA,Display@A-0 which was the external monitor.

NVDA,Display@B-1 is showing the injected EDID string.

somehow we have to ask bootloader/kernel/mavericks to look at the IDP first or at least include it on the list of places to look.

if it wasnt for the fact that once mine see's the vga and then happily fires up my lcd, all correctly configured, i would have given up before thinking that it would never work

(at least until apple fully supports IDP)

i think we are just missing something simple here, IDP is just not on the list of places to look for a mac starting up.

still not sure why the internal lcd works so well afterwards though.

@NiPeGun: what are you specs? (maybe you could put them in your sig) it might help track something down as to why you cannot fire up using a vga monitor.

what was the monitor you were using?

as is said in the first post, mine was a 1080p Dell CAD monitor. It has digital in also but ive not tried that.

i did try a vga to my lcd tv at home but that didnt work. i only tried twice as i was too afraid of breaking either the laptop (i would really be upset) or the TV ( the wife would be really upset)

also, the hdmi to the tv didnt work.

Noticed... But how will OSX detects the display if doesn't look at displayport first?

That my main worry. Even if display info is correctly available tomthe system, if the connectir is no fired first, the system necer reaches that edid. I supose...

With an correct upsetted EFI string, as I have written before. I have gotten an used L702x 3d by chance and my method is working on it like a charme. I have found nothing about an as internal recognized display on this device. My device is working in this way, very well.  Yes it is only Fermi, I know. I have not removed any of the OSX gfx related kexts. The L702x has the IGPU in his DSDT. The only part of the IGPU, that is showing up after boot is, the full registered AppleIntelMEIDriver without infecting anything. As I have also told before, I am not able to test my method on a device with a kepler card, because of having it on repair after bricking it.

In any way, I am trying to get my devices in a vanilla way up by staying way from any kind of Distros, MyHack or other automated generating installer tools. I make the installer manually in a similar way like this one, which is described in the following link: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

I always try to use an as near as possible my hardware matching SMBios of an real AppleDevice and place only the fakesmc and nullcpupowermanagement kexts - on laptop also ps2driver - in S/L/E of the installer. After successful hd install, I install these kexts with terminal, by booting once more from the usb installer, on the hd install and repair permissons too. For getting rid of the root device error sometimes an install of genericusbxhc.kext in S/L/E of usbinstaller and copying it also to the hd install with the other before mentioned kexts is usefull. For gfx related problemes I tempeorary remove the to the hardware of the device related kexts from the usb installer.

After successful login to the hdinstall I install, if the device has an as common working known ethernet nic the neccessary plugin in ionetworkingfamiliy.kext or edit an related info.plist (for example the marvell one) or inject it with a legacy.kext. Then I always try to get the gfx card as good as possible working and get an unkown display recognized by doing an forced display EDID. After that I try to generate a proper working DSDT, try to get the audio working with an patched applehda.kext, if there is one, generate an SSDT.aml, patch the Powermanagement and try to get it working by removing the nullcpupowermanagement.kext. If there are things left not got working by DSDT edit, one can try to install the proper especiai kext to get it working. In any case one can then see, if this kext is infecting other before working things.

Have fun.