Laptop - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p - 10.9 - Mavericks

useletters

332 posts in this topic

Did anyone find a working kext for the synaptic, its so buggy. Also is anyone getting a shutdown and restart problem where it takes forever to shut down or restart. 

I am wondering the same thing. I am still working on power management and i think its doable, but the touchpad i dont think is possible to get working. ive tried a buch of the elan touchpad kexts and some synaptic ones and have not gotten it working properly. it will let me move the cursor but will not let me click.

Hi.

I'we been trying to follow the instructions provided in here to install Mav on my Lenovo Ideapad Y510P and I guess I'm not able to do so since all the information here is kind of hecktic. I have tried to follow both useletter and vanilla install's guide but without success, my installation just dies.

Can anyone please offer one solution as a guide to follow? Please let it be complete...

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Hello, I use this laptop as a primary working machine for iOS/Mac development, and it's surprisingly stable (I had no KPs/freezes/reboots for ~2 months); I even don't need to use my real mac any more (early 2013 MBP 15" with retina, it used to freeze several times a week for no reason :( ).

OK, about my system: I use clover bootloader, slightly patched DSDTs and kexts.

DSDTs have:

1) Patched P-states

2) Patched battery section

3) Disabled GT-755m, so it won't draw energy

4) Some other patches

Kexts have:

1) Patched IO80211Family for BCM 4352 support

2) Patched IONetworkingFamily (with ALXEthernet) for ethernet support

3) GenericUSBXHCI (With native usb kexts sleep doesn't work properly/usb doesn't wake after sleep).

4) VoodooHDA was patched a bit, so it can auto-switch between speakers and headphones automatically (You should install VoodooHDA by installer, and then replace the kext with my ver.)

5) Other kexts for backlight/battery management/etc.

I use RehabMan's VoodooPS2Controller for touchpad (you should also download it from RehabMan's repository on github and follow the installation instructions there), it works great for me (I have synaptics touchpad).

Clover's config.plist doesn't contain serial numbers for obvious reasons, so you need to generate new ones (using clover configurator, for example).

For installation, you should follow vanilla installation guide. With the files provided there should be no problems with it; you don't need to delete any nvidia kexts. You also should take out the second nvidia GPU, if you have one.

Y510Hack.zip

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

[EDITED-UPDATED]

I'm trying to get Mavericks to work on my Lenovo y510p and so far so good. Basically, I've followed the guide here on post #41 (by useletters) and used myHack to prepare the usb for Mavericks. It was successful but the challenges begins post install as there are few issues:

1. Currently I'm booting Windows 8.1 in UEFI mode and Mavericks in Legacy mode (which is annoying). I know that Clover UEFI would allow otherwise but I couldn't get it to work because Clover needs a lot of configuration.
  2. Though the Intel 4600 is recognized with full resolution, I always find glitch once I log in and I have to log out then in again for the glitch to disappear. The image below shows system information, the glitch in menu-bar, the glitch persists while clicking a menu, the glitch is gone after log off/on and the only kexts used for graphics in S/L/E. I'm using Chameleon svn2266 and attached both smbios.plist and org.chameleon.Boot.plist in files.zip.
    YK1NpW.png
  3. Ethernet works. But WiFi is not though I have Broadcom 43142 chip. I know those who have Intel chips are out of luck, but I thought this Broadcom is supported which is not AFAIK. Any way to fix it? I tried a couple of Kexts from hackintoshosx.com but neither work.
  4. Shutdown works fine but restart don't. The restart only switch the system into different state where I see black screen but the machine still works
  5. Sleep doesn't work yet.
  6. I got a working Synaptics touchpad. However, when Dragging is enabled in System Settings, I can't tab on anything using the touch pad. It just simulate another tab which dismiss any menu I'm trying to open.

I hope someone is willing to help me with any of these issues (specially graphics and wifi). Any help is appreciated,

Thanks

files.zip

1. You can take a look at my kexts/clover config.

2. System preferences -> displays -> color, try to change your color profile to another one. You can then calibrate the working profile, it will somewhat improve the color quality.

3. Try BCM4352, works perfectly with OS X and is 802.11 AC compatible.

4. If you reboot into windows, there is a way which can help you - press fn+f1, it will put your laptop to sleep, then wake it - the display will be properly reinitialized :) If you reboot into OS X, dunno how to fix that.

5. Try GenericUsbXHCI - native OS X usb kexts prevented my laptop from sleeping. Even with these kexts, I have two (minor IMO) sleep problems - laptop doesn't recognize that lid is closed, and it doesn't sleep with AC connected (it wakes up immediately, to be precise).

6. By the way, how did you make it work?

1. You can take a look at my kexts/clover config.

Yes I had a look at this (big job you had of course). But I'm having problems to boot anything from Clover, even the usb installer. Always blank black screens or black screen with errors that I didn't know how to solve. Clover isn't straight forward as chameleon after all.

2. System preferences -> displays -> color, try to change your color profile to another one. You can then calibrate the working profile, it will somewhat improve the color quality.

Perfect! thanks for this. I changed the color profile and one of them worked like a charm without any calibration.

3. Try BCM4352, works perfectly with OS X and is 802.11 AC compatible.

Ops! this means BCM43142 won't work with 10.9. Do you know if BCM4352 is included in Y510P WiFi white list?

4. If you reboot into windows, there is a way which can help you - press fn+f1, it will put your laptop to sleep, then wake it - the display will be properly reinitialized :) If you reboot into OS X, dunno how to fix that.

Since each boots in different environment (windows in uefi and osx in legacy) I set uefi before legacy in bios. So I can reproduce the scenario you said. It works .. I didn't even think that osx actually reboots. I thought it panic on its way and stops there! Thanks for this.

5. Try GenericUsbXHCI - native OS X usb kexts prevented my laptop from sleeping. Even with these kexts, I have two (minor IMO) sleep problems - laptop doesn't recognize that lid is closed, and it doesn't sleep with AC connected (it wakes up immediately, to be precise).

I'll try it ... if it were for those 2 problems, they are minors as you said.

6. By the way, how did you make it work?

I actually didn't do anything. I followed the guide without using the provided kexts or any kexts for touchpad. I checked S/L/E and found only those kexts provided by Apple. Just to clarify, when I said I got it working I meant cursor is moving smooth, tapping is perfect, double tap works for right button, and dragging works but has a side effect as I and others mentioned. Real touchpad buttons don't work though.

Dear Sfairat, Regarding replacing the WiFi chip with BCM4352. I found that Lenovo only support one specific variant of this chip with specific part number within Y510P white list, which is this one:

WLAN, WiFi AC+BT4.0 Ltn BCM4352+20702 2x2AC+BT4.0 HMC
FRU 20200381

It's rare, I could only find it as preorder in this website:

http://eng.estock.fr/basketadd.php?partnumber=20200381

Do you think this website is trusted? Do you know anywhere else to buy it from? Maybe with lower price? (this one is priced €50 + shipping to UK €14).

Thanks.

I bought this one, was in the whitelist.

What are the errors with clover? Can you provide a screenshot? Do you put FakeSMC and other kexts to Clover/Kexts/10.9 or to /S/L/E, or did you forget to copy it from /Extra ? Here's my full EFI folder, all my additional kexts I've provided above lie in /S/L/E.

I bought this one, was in the whitelist.

What are the errors with clover? Can you provide a screenshot? Do you put FakeSMC and other kexts to Clover/Kexts/10.9 or to /S/L/E, or did you forget to copy it from /Extra ? Here's my full EFI folder, all my additional kexts I've provided above lie in /S/L/E.

Thanks for your reply. I'll switch to OSX in few minutes and update you with everything. For now, I don't want to sound rude, but are you sure you have Y510P and this WiFi card with FRU PN 03T7135 was in the whitelist? According to the whitelist posted here, the one you mention is not there. There are other resources with the same WiFi whitelist excluding the one you mention. The only BCM4352 in the whitelist have FRU PN 20200381 and they (on Lenovo forum link) say same chip with different FRU will be rejected by the machine.

I'm confused!

post-866891-0-04538000-1410180122_thumb.png

Whitelist checks not these FRU numbers, but hardware & subsystem IDs, which are the same for that card on ebay and for that listed in lenovo maintenance manual. Actually, these two FRUs and the hardware ID correspond to BCM 4352 manufactured by LiteOn.

Alright, thanks for the clarification. I'll get the same one.

I made a Clover EFI bootable usb to try as I didn't want to mess with the installation working bootloader. I copied your EFI folder over the usb EFI partition and booted from it. I can see the bootloader but I'm not able to boot my osx partition. Here is pictures of normal and verbose boot. Thanks.

Your third screenshot looks like normal boot. Try to remove NullCPUPM from /S/L/E, select "boot without caches" in clover. Also, remove KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPM flag from clover's config.plist, if you have already patched kernel.

Clover sometimes hangs at that "+++++"'s, it looks like it has problems with hibernated windows (that bug doesn't appear when I shut down by rebooting).

I don't have NullCPUPM in /S/L/E. I removed KernelAndKextPatches/KernelPM flag from clover's config.plist and booted without caches, I got about exactly the same screen (uploaded to shared folder).

Thanks. 

UPDATE:

I tried booting without caches and injected kexts but still the same.Tried adding switches like cpus=1, 2, 4, or 8, npci=0x2000, npci=0x3000, and PCIRootUID= but still it hang on:

IOAPIC Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

Thanks again.

Well, it's the same picture I put on the shared folder, nothing changed. It doesn't boot (with it in /Extra/Extensions or without it)

I don't really know why it mention NullCPUPowerManagment since it is absent. Unless it complains about its absence in specific location, I may be wrong though!

Ok, try to boot into chameleon, then remove the NullCPUPM kext from /e/e (if you need to put it back to /e/e to boot with cham) and run kext utility. Looks like it's stuck in caches for some reason, kext utility will probably get it out of there. Don't really understand why clover loads the cache when told not to do so, will investigate it tomorrow.

I got it, I'm lucky though. It wasn't in cache as I tried your advice. However, I found that using myHack to install osx leaves unusual traces. There in /S/L/E I found myhack.kext which have instance of NullCPUPowerManagment.kext among other kexts. I removed myhack.kext and tried Clover again. Still no boot but log changed with no mention to NullCPUPM (uploaded a screenshot)

UPDATE:

I tried to boot without your dsdt but it complained. I tried with it once again and found it didn't say anything about any kext but still didn't boot. (uploaded a screenshot i hope you dont mix them up)

That's really strange, our DSDTs should be compatible. There are some actions which may help.

1. Please check that you have DSDT & SSDTs in ACPI/patched folder in clover.

2. Try to boot without my dsdts and without ACPI/SSDT/DropOEM key in clover, if this gets stuck on the same line as before, then it's probably not DSDT problem.

3. Provide me your native unpatched DSDT and SSDT tables, I'll have a look at them.

4. Also, try to make a vanilla installation usb drive & put my files on it and check whether it will boot - I've just made this procedure and everything worked for me.

(1) Check.

(2) I tried without anything in ACPI/patched while without ACPI/SSDT/DropOEM key in clover, Hangs on ++++++ without further log (what a verbose mode !!!)

(3) I don't know how, I know there are apps that extract those and scripts as well but I don't know a specific one.

(4) Black screen.

I start to hate Clover more and more

UPDATE:

Alright. I'm gonna get this to work :angry: !!

Clean slate ... I'm going from scratch.

• Making a vanilla usb installer .. just copy from osx app. No myhack, no uni-b, no what so ever.
  • I'll install Clover EFI without any DSDT/SSDT, with bare-bone kexts (FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, IONetworkingFamily), with custom config.plist for Intel HD 4600, and with HFSPlus.efi.
  • I'll try to boot without caches/injects (though no injects but Intel gfx) as well as normal boot.
  • I'll update here ... :sick:

UPDATE:

Alright. I'm gonna get this to work :angry: !!

Clean slate ... I'm going from scratch.

• Making a vanilla usb installer .. just copy from osx app. No myhack, no uni-b, no what so ever.
  • I'll install Clover EFI without any DSDT/SSDT, with bare-bone kexts (FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement, IONetworkingFamily), with custom config.plist for Intel HD 4600, and with HFSPlus.efi.
  • I'll try to boot without caches/injects (though no injects but Intel gfx) as well as normal boot.
  • I'll update here ... :sick:

IONetworkingFamily.kext is not what I would consider "bare-bones" kext as part of a vanilla install. There is a perfectly good IONetworkingFamily.kext already provided with a fresh install...

Also, NullCPU is not required with Clover... The only critical kext with Clover is FakeSMC.kext.

Thanks RehabMan.

Hmm, Alright it booted (pic added). According to your post should I proceed or go back and remove all Kexts but FakeSMC.Kext?

UPDATE:
I removed them, it booted fine. One question, I didn't edit SMBIOS settings in config.plist. Would this form a problem? Or as long as it boots the installer I'm fine but should do this on the actual install?

Another question, no keyboard or touch pad after the installer is up. I don't have but usb mouse, do i have to include a Kext for this?