Laptop - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p - 10.9 - Mavericks

useletters

332 posts in this topic

I did not use Mbeast. I have also scratch the install using myHack. I've made a vanilla install. Here's the guide, http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/280756-guide-the-all-in-one-guide-to-vanilla-os-x-including-chameleon-dsdt-for-beginners-updated-for-mavericks/

Hey useletters, I really appreciate your time and effort But…

I followed that Vanilla install guide, but used the rehab man’s mach_kernel as instructed.

I put the nullcpu and fakesmc kexts in S/L/E and started the install and ran chameleon. Then created Extra folder on the root of usb, then created the smbios (tried 10 and 8,3 MBPro) on there but didnt do any chameleon.boot.plist because nothing was mentioned about that.

then boot flag with -x -f -v for the installer, and installed mavs to my external hdd.

But actually there was another step in there, I had to go back and add the voodoops2.kext in S/L/E to get the keyboard to recognize. (also I think appleps2 kext works?)

Then I put the mach_kernel on the hdd install.

And boot -x -f -v into the hdd using the usb boot loader.

I think this is the point where you suggest to delete the nvidia kexts and appleintegraphics kexts except 5000.  So I deleted those,  and when you say “14. Install attached, remove conflicting kext, IONetworking…” I guess you mean conflicting kexts plural meaning to delete the ones that are already installed lie the ionetworking and the other 2 apple kexts, then to install the 4 kexts with the utility.  I’m not sure if i should repair permissions after deleting and then again after installing but thats what I did.  And also installed the élan touchpad kext.  

When you say “13. use attached chameleon” are you talking about the chameleon.boot.plist file? or the packager? one of which you don’t mention… But I used your .plists anyway. and I tried making my own but nothing worked.

I am able to boot using  GraphicsEnabler=Yes IntelAzulFB=12 -f -v like you mentioned above... but not without that

And when you say repair chameleon, you mean with kext utility, or with chameleon wizard?

I really need to get this to work, I can paypal you if you get me to a working place.

Thanks

Hey useletters, I really appreciate your time and effort But…

I followed that Vanilla install guide, but used the rehab man’s mach_kernel as instructed.

I put the nullcpu and kakesmc kexts in S/L/E and started the install and ran chameleon. Then created Extra folder on the root of usb, then created the smbios (tried 10 and 8,3) on there but didnt do any chameleon.boot.plist because nothing was mentioned about that.

then boot flag with -x -f -v for the installer, and installed mavs to my external hdd.

But actually there was another step in there, I had to go back and add the voodoops2.kext in S/L/E to get the keyboard to recognize. 

Then I put the mach_kernel on the hdd install.

And boot -x -f -v into the hdd using the usb boot loader.

I think this is the point where you suggest to delete the nvidia kexts and appleintegraphics kexts except 5000.  So I deleted those and when you say “14. Install attached, remove conflicting kext, IONetworking…” I guess you mean conflicting kexts plural meaning to delete the ones that are already installed lie the ionetworking and the other 2 apple kexts, then to install the 4 kexts with the utility.  I’m not sure if i should repair permissions after deleting and then again after installing but thats what I did.  And also installed the élan touchpad kext.  

When you say “13. use attached chameleon” are you talking about the chameleon.boot.plist file? or the packager? one of which you don’t mention… But I used your .plists anyway. and I tried making my own but nothing worked.

I am able to boot using -x boot flag. 

And when you say repair chameleon, you mean with kext utility, or with chameleon wizard?

I really need to get this to work, I can paypal you if you get me to a working place.

Thanks

I'll make an updated guide, using vanilla install, when I get the time. For now I'm really busy, I'll see if I can make one the next day or two. Also you don't have to paypal me. :)

I'll make an updated guide, using vanilla install, when I get the time. For now I'm really busy, I'll see if I can make one the next day or two. Also you don't have to paypal me. :)

Great, much appreciated! I guess my only problem was the org.chameleon.boot.plist file. It didnt tell me in the Vanilla install guide how to put in custom boot strings... like the IntelAzulFB=12.  So for anyone else who doesn't know, what I did was open the chameleon.plist file in text edit, then just copy and paste the two first lines, one is a key and the other one is string, then paste it at the bottom under the last string, and replace "boot banner" for "IntelAzulFB", then for the string, replace "No" to "12" and then I dont know if its necessary but I rebuild the kext utility permissions because I am extremely new to this and I'm running on assumptions here... Anyway, that fixes the jitterbug effect with screen flickering and such. Thanks a bunch useletters, let me know if you ever get the nvidia graphics card working, that would be the final step to my long journey hackintoshing this y510p. i Atkos M is coming out soon.

Hey useletters, I'm struggling to get mine running using these steps, or the ones from the vanilla install you linked. OSX will install properly (at least, as far as I know it does), it restarts, and when I try to boot into the OS through my USB, my computer just restarts back to the BIOS and will boot as normal. I have no idea what's causing it, I've tried both methods multiple times and have followed the instructions to the letter, but I still just get rebooted to the BIOS. Do you have any idea as to what I could be doing wrong that would cause something like this?

It wouldn't be because I'm installing it to a hard drive in a hard drive caddy in the ultrabay slot, would it?

Hey useletters, I'm struggling to get mine running using these steps, or the ones from the vanilla install you linked. OSX will install properly (at least, as far as I know it does), it restarts, and when I try to boot into the OS through my USB, my computer just restarts back to the BIOS and will boot as normal. I have no idea what's causing it, I've tried both methods multiple times and have followed the instructions to the letter, but I still just get rebooted to the BIOS. Do you have any idea as to what I could be doing wrong that would cause something like this?

It wouldn't be because I'm installing it to a hard drive in a hard drive caddy in the ultrabay slot, would it?

You should also replace the mach_kernel on your install as you've replaced the mach_kernel of the installation.

You should also replace the mach_kernel on your install as you've replaced the mach_kernel of the installation.

Alright. This might be a stupid question, but how do I do that? I put RehabMan kernel on my USB drive, but I have no idea how to actually copy it over to the install. Most of the places I've found explaining how to do it deal with going to the desktop, which off the top of my head I'm not sure how, since I haven't set up a user account yet because I haven't been able to boot into OSX. And even after I'm able to copy it over, how do I get it to replace the old one? Or is just copying it to the desktop all you have to do?

I guess the question I should be asking is, what is it that I put into the terminal window to successfully replace the kernel on the install with the one on my USB drive?

EDIT:

Got it working! Thanks for the guide! Even got wireless working, but that's because I picked up a Broadcom card instead of the stock Intel card. 

I do have 2 questions though,

1) I can only boot into OSX when I boot using the flags -x -f -v, and I'm in safe mode. If I select the hard drive without typing those flags, I get stuck at the Apple logo screen with the spiny wheel. Any idea why that could be happening?

and

2) When I'm using Safari, the screen flickers. and it's ONLY the portion of the screen that has Safari open. (The dock doesn't flicker, nor the finder bar) And it's only when I'm using Safari. I downloaded Google Chrome and everything works fine. Should I be worried about the flickering? Or is it probably just a bug?

Thanks again for the guide, and if there's anything I can do to help you get the GT750M working let me know!

Got it working! Thanks for the guide! Even got wireless working, but that's because I picked up a Broadcom card instead of the stock Intel card.

Great to know that.

I do have 2 questions though,

1) I can only boot into OSX when I boot using the flags -x -f -v, and I'm in safe mode. If I select the hard drive without typing those flags, I get stuck at the Apple logo screen with the spiny wheel. Any idea why that could be happening?

My guess is you're having gfx kext conflicts. You should boot with IntelAzulFB=x Where x is between 0-15, it's a trial an error process. I got to boot with 12, you may try that also. You can also try GraphicsEnabler=Yes until you get avail. You should remove ultrabay gfx while doing so.

2) When I'm using Safari, the screen flickers. and it's ONLY the portion of the screen that has Safari open. (The dock doesn't flicker, nor the finder bar) And it's only when I'm using Safari. I downloaded Google Chrome and everything works fine. Should I be worried about the flickering? Or is it probably just a bug?

It is because you don't have QE/CI activated, you can have this by booting with IntelAzulFB and GraphicsEnabler.

if there's anything I can do to help you get the GT750M working let me know!

I have yet to try GT750M but I can sense that it may work. I was able to boot with it, though you have to unlock your bios so you can turn off internal graphics and switching.

My guess is you're having gfx kext conflicts. You should boot with IntelAzulFB=x Where x is between 0-15, it's a trial an error process. I got to boot with 12, you may try that also. You can also try GraphicsEnabler=Yes until you get avail. You should remove ultrabay gfx while doing so.

Alright. I think I'm getting closer. When I booted with the -v flag, it would have given me a bluetooth transport missing, which is apparently the graphics issue. I realized I forgot to delete the IntelHDXXXXGraphics.kexts, and when I deleted them, I don't get that message anymore. 

Now, I get:

http://imgur.com/2Dr4yRO

I have no idea how to fix that because, 1) My Windows install is on a different hard drive, and 2) Windows is shut down, not hibernating, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Nothing :/

Gets stuck at the bluetooth transport again. I put the windows hard drive back in, and now it gets past the "windows is hibernating" error, but now it's stuck again at the bluetooth issue. It says something about it being suspended though, not that it's missing. I'm assuming I didn't delete some of the video kexts, but I'm not sure which. I deleted all the ATI kexts, all the NVidia kexts, and as far as I know, all the IntelHDXXXX kexts :(

I appreciate the help, so thank you!

I can't boot without Safe Mode, it just hangs after DSMOS has arrived. I'm thinking it's the bootloader?.. I honestly don't know how to configure Chameleon, if you don't mind, could you post the exact link you've used and a few pointers on what exactly I need to tick in the settings. So far, out of all my OS X installations, I've used preconfigured usb/dvd disks so this is actually the first time I tried vanilla, I created my USB with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I can't boot without Safe Mode, it just hangs after DSMOS has arrived. I'm thinking it's the bootloader?.. I honestly don't know how to configure Chameleon, if you don't mind, could you post the exact link you've used and a few pointers on what exactly I need to tick in the settings. So far, out of all my OS X installations, I've used preconfigured usb/dvd disks so this is actually the first time I tried vanilla, I created my USB with #####.

If you have problems with your used methods , please ask on the developers platform or the developers themselves. This methods are not supported here.

Please read this: http://www.insanelym...ort-tonymacx86/ and this: http://www.insanelym...out-tonymacx86/

You can follow this guide: http://www.insanelym...-for-mavericks/ and try to use this tool: http://www.insanelym.../11-pandoraapp/

Then try to follow the steps desribed by Useletters.

Please put your hardware in your signature, like many others have done it here.

Have fun.

Oh, I'll follow that guide for Chameleon first, before redoing the USB and reinstalling the whole thing, thanks.
Also, I didn't think it would be necessary to write my specs on this thread dedicated to Lenovo y510p. Mine has i5 4200 & nvidia 755m , which I don't really have any hopes on activating.

Oh, I'll follow that guide for Chameleon first, before redoing the USB and reinstalling the whole thing, thanks.

Also, I didn't think it would be necessary to write my specs on this thread dedicated to Lenovo y510p. Mine has i5 4200 & nvidia 755m , which I don't really have any hopes on activating.

It is of interest for others looking for a solution like you do it at the moment. Your hardware seems to be a bit different.

If you have in bios the alternative to switch gfx options, it is the best way to use OSX with the gfx switched in bios to internal.

I think , that your device is in no way SLI and only Optimus enabled. Therefore your descrete gfx output is done over the internal Intel gfx framebuffer and not directly to the display, which couid be the case, if Useletters has attached his second card in the bay.

Have fun, no harm meant.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D0D7D1C83E0E400F!146&authkey=!APjz-R-0h0zztWw&ithint=file%2c.aml

Here's a DSDT file for Lenovo Y510p running mavs 10.9.0.   I guess someone could use that file but my color is limited, nvidia doesnt work, bluetooth tether internet is slow, trackpad gestures dont work, no scrolling on trackpad, and sound turns off after a couple reboots, and also it doesnt wake from sleep or restart properly.  I dont know anything about dsdt files but i could have used one before spending 2 weeks getting to this point.

Hey again useletters...  are you getting a strange bug where the sound turns off after rebooting, and then comes back somehow if you reboot again.  Also, when you boot do you see some strange color strips coming down vertically from the top of the screen, my color is limited and I have visibly less colors, i can tell by looking at my screen from an angle with the galaxy background set as my desktop bg, then I can see the gradient is not smooth but rather it is stripy like the looney tunes logo, thats all folks! but seriously let me know if you get the same problems or if you know how to fix that annoying sound thing. thanks so much.

I'm not sure if I have acceleration, but my bios setting is set to discrete mode. I havn't deleted the nvidia kexts because I was hoping they would work some day...  please post instructions on how to get the nvidia to work if you ever figure it out.  One last question I have is about the trackpad.  I don't have scrolling or gestures, do you know how to get the trackpad to work properly? TIA

To check if you have acceleration (QE/CI) your menu bar should be translucent and you should be able to play chess. For the trackpad, download the proper kext depending on your hardware.

What elan kext did you use. Do you have working gestures? Are you using voodoohda.kext?

Yes, I can play chess but I was barely able to tell If I had translucency on my menu bar but I can see a couple stars poking through. Still seeing the limited color gradient tho.

What elan kext did you use. Do you have working gestures? Are you using voodoohda.kext?

Yes, I can play chess but I was barely able to tell If I had translucency on my menu bar but I can see a couple stars poking through. Still seeing the limited color gradient tho.

I'm using hardware v4 elan kext. I don't have working gestures, you have to set that. I am using voodoohda.kext.

Looks like you have QE/CI, I'm not quite sure why you have that limited color gradient. Can you boot without -f?