Laptop - Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p - 10.9 - Mavericks

useletters

332 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm new to this forums, and as I've seen, the Notebook section specifically on Lenovo are not anymore active. So I'll just post here.

Anyway, I've been trying to install Mavericks on my Lenovo Y510p, but there is no success. I've tried both the myHack and the other known method with Mavericks from the Mac App Store but when booting the installer, the Apple logo with gray background flashes then my laptop restarts. I'm not quite sure where I'm going in this. I've installed myHack and the other using a virtualized Mac OSx.

I hope someone can help me. thank you.

hi try to boot with -x -v GraphicsEnabler=No

If it still restarts try to capture (cellphone) the screen right before it restarts to see whats the cause.

Also chcek the prerequirements for OS installation (bios settings, removing potentionaly KP-causing kexts etc. )

And for the last try to search this forum. Im sure someone already did the install for Y510

Search button is your friend. 

Cheers

I actually did try capturing it with my cellphone, in video mode. It is so fast I can't even see what's the cause.

I've been also search everywhere but still no success..

Can you direct me with a better solution? I can't do much in the bios settings as it is locked.

You can say that my device as out of the box..

Getting mobile Kepler cards with OSX working, is a common known problem. The y510 has because of SLI no active Optimus function and therefore the IGPU not activated. But it is still sleeping there.

Try to remove NVDAResman.kext from your installer. This have you also to do over terminal, if your install is working without this kext.

I suggest also to remove the second gfx card from bay, if you have it sitting there.

Try to boot with flags -x -f -v.

Have fun.

PS: Can you please upload your under windows with Aida64 extracted acpi tables? I am interested in them.

For the Lenovo Z580, we had to go into BIOS and turn off UEFI mode and set SATA to AHCI.

On the Y510P, on the left side of the computer at the back is the "Novo" button.  With the computer off, press this button for a few seconds to enter BIOS setup mode.  For the Z580, in BIOS, we had to go to the Boot menu and find the UEFI setting.  Change that to "Legacy".  A second line should appear and change that to "Legacy first".  Your Y510P may be different.  Be sure to also set SATA to AHCI.

If this doesn't solve your reboot problem, then you might want to read this posting about reboots on Haswell machines: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293503-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/

Mavericks installer from Mac App Store with myHack tool, with no flags, with proper BIOS settings, as per above post. No Extra GPU(GPU on the ultrabay).

ERROR: dcbtable_version is 0x0
ERROR: nVidia ROM Patching Failed!

then Apple Logo with gray background then laptop restarts.

I've also tried the flags mentioned and others, still no avail..

I haven't remove the NVDAResman.kext though.

Attached are my laptop's ACPI DSDT and SSDT in .bin format, also devdump, pcidump and a Report in html format.

510p.rar

• Like 1

Just try to remove all Geforce and Nvidia as also AppleIntel-Gfx kexts from your installer and boot without them.

Perphaps you get in this way a screen in Vesa mode and can do an install.

Have fun.

This is the guide I followed in making a bootable USB drive. http://www.macbreaker.com/2013/06/how-to-install-os-x-109-mavericks-dp1.html

So you can say that I haven't touched or whatever my DSDT or others, and my BIOS is not unlocked though I can change the AHCI and Legacy Support.

Anyway, where can I find and delete the Geforce and Nvidia and AppleIntel-Gfx kexts? and how to get to Vesa mode..

It is not very common for graphics problems to cause a quick reboot.  They usually just hang the boot.  But Rehabman has described a situation on Haswell laptops that does cause a quick reboot.  His solution involves a patched kernel.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/293503-haswell-early-reboot-mavericks-locked-msrs-and-hp-envy-15-j063cl-i7-4700mq/

So should I get the attached file and replace the one on my installer? And also remove the nvidia and geforce kexts? as styrian said?

I'm really confused on what will I do next..

EDIT:

And also, as you can see on the file I attached above, my integrated GPU is disable, and I don't know how I can enable this. Is the the problem?

You need the modified kernel to get around the reboot problem.  Then you will have a graphics problem.  The Nvidia card will not work.  You need the integrated GPU.  In another forum, a user had to physically remove the Nvidia card through the Ultrabay in order to enable the onboard HD 4600 GPU.

• Like 1

I was able to boot the installer by replacing the original mach_kernel with the one attached on the post you gave. I removed the ultrabay gpu and I booted with -x -v PciRoot=1

I'm currently installing OSx as as I'm writing this. I hope I get successful installation. Oh, my trackpad doesn't work. I also install stuffs from the myhack app on the utilities. Not knowing what couls happen. Anyway I'll post my progress after the installation.

Thanks

My touch pad is Elan, I'll try the Elan ketx I found from another forum. Anyway, how can I change SMBios, if possible and also what should I do with my DSDTs?

Congrats, if you have it got working with your GT 750m with QE/CI.

Have fun.

You can use the Cuda drivers, but they will not help you, getting able to boot your lappy without savemode.

An idea, which I have, is, to read out the vga bios rom of your second card in the ultrabay and try to boot with it by video options of bootloader UseNvidiaRom/VBios as alternative vbios. For Howto readout this bios, you have to google. If you can not find a method for your model, then search for the Y500.

I hope this suggestion is helping you, to get QE/CI working.

Have fun.

You can use the Cuda drivers, but they will not help you, getting able to boot your lappy without savemode.

An idea, which I have, is, to read out the vga bios rom of your second card in the ultrabay and try to boot with it by video options of bootloader UseNvidiaRom/VBios as alternative vbios. For Howto readout this bios, you have to google. If you can not find a method for your model, then search for the Y500.

I hope this suggestion is helping you, to get QE/CI working.

Have fun.

What do you mean? I can use the Cuda drivers but they will not help me booting without safemode? In short, I can get Cude but still have to boot in -x flag?

I'm fine without using the ultrabay GT 750m. Upon checking System Report, the GT 750m on the PCIe slot, the one inside of the laptop, is being detected, but Mac uses the integrated HD4600. How can I make use of the GT 750m in PCIe slot regardless of the 2nd one on the ultrabay slot.

Also, when I installed the Elan Touchpad Driver v4 from here http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/

I get KP..

I have assumed, that you have partially activated the GT 750m and the HD 4600 is because of SLI, that does not work together with Optimus, deactived on the hardware side of your lappy. (LVDS and other gfx ports of GT 750m directly conected to ports.)

Do you have in your bios an option to switch to integrated gfx and also other options for Optimus or SLI?

If you are on HD4600, the nvidia cuda driver do not work for you, until you can active the GT 750m.

I have suggested only to put the second GT 750m into the ultrabay to read out their vbios, for trying to boot with this rom image over bootloader options to OSX. Before booting to OSX you should remove it again.

Can you please post some screen shots related to your gfx from systemprofiler?

Have fun.

I have assumed, that you have partially activated the GT 750m and the HD 4600 is because of SLI, that does not work together with Optimus, deactived on the hardware side of your lappy. (LVDS and other gfx ports of GT 750m directly conected to ports.)

Do you have in your bios an option to switch to integrated gfx and also other options for Optimus or SLI?

If you are on HD4600, the nvidia cuda driver do not work for you, until you can active the GT 750m.

I have suggested only to put the second GT 750m into the ultrabay to read out their vbios, for trying to boot with this rom image over bootloader options to OSX. Before booting to OSX you should remove it again.

Can you please post some screen shots related to your gfx from systemprofiler?

Have fun.

I do not have an option in the bios for integrated gfx and/or also other options for Optimus or SLI..

I'm not sure how exactly I can read out the vbios of the second GT 750m but I have extracted .rom file using nvflash.exe on Windows 8.1

I hope you could help me on this one.

I can't boot to OSx as I get KP because of the Elan Touchpad I've installed. I have to reinstall OSx so I can boot it again, or is there anyway for me to have it running again?

Anyway, attached is the .rom file extracted using nvflash.

gt750m.rar

No need to reinstall. Boot with your install stick, fire up Terminal and remove the kext, that you have installed for your touchpad.

Type in terminal:

sudo rm -rf /volumes/"Name of your partition"/System/Library/Extensions/"Kextname".kext

Reboot with flags -f -v  in your installation and install an other kext for your touchpad. Meanwile you need perhaps  an usb keyboard and for sure an usb mouse.

Have fun.

• Like 1

No need to reinstall. Boot with your install stick, fire up Terminal and remove the kext, that you have installed for your touchpad.

Type in terminal:

sudo rm -rf /volumes/"Name of your partition"/System/Library/Extensions/"Kextname".kext

Reboot with flags -f -v  in your installation and install an other kext for your touchpad. Meanwile you need perhaps  an usb keyboard and for sure an usb mouse.

Have fun.

I was able to boot Mavericks, but I have to still boot with -x -v.

Anyway, I managed to get, attached, screenshots and also saved the System Report on a .spx format, you should be able to see my specs.

As of now, following essentials are not working:

-Trackpad

-Audio

-LAN Ethernet

-WiFi(as expected)

etc.

Anyway, what am I supposed to do to make this stuffs working? And what am I supposed to do with the .ROM I have?

And can I inject an SMBios with Macbook Pro Retina 10,1?

System Profiler Y510p.zip

I suggest, that you anyway should try  to keep a bootable install. Therefore it would be nice, if you can manage to get a clone of your current install on an external hd in usb enclosure, sliced in 3 partitons, partioned the way you have it done with your usb installer, MBR or GPT. (An old sata one, with at least 60 GB  (then with only 2 partions), should do the trick)

Google for Carbon Copy Cloner, install it on your install, and clone  your install to a partiton of your external hd. Warnings of CCC about it can not fully clone to a MBR partion are just to ignore.

Important: After having done the clone, you have to install your current bootloader on the clone.

Then try to boot from your clone. If you are able to boot your system from the clone, you can try to get other things working. But I would do this only step by step on one of your both installs. If you are sure, that this is working, what you have done so far, just make an other bootable clone of your enhanced install and then try to make efforts to get other devices up. (This is my way, I try to get new systems up).

You are at the moment not able, to add partitons on your hd, because of having formated it with MBR partition table. If you nevertheless would try it, you will destroy your so far working install.

By the way, I see a good chance to get the HD4600 fully working with QE/CI, because in your Systemprofiler it is showing up with a display. The performance of HD4600 should be enough to have fun by doing any OSX task. In my humble opinion the GT 750m could not made working at the moment. It makes more sence on concentrating to get the HD4600 fully working.

For getting your Y510p up, it is neccessary, that you stay a bit patient and do it step by step. To get OSX on foreign hardware up runnning, for which it is not concepted to function natively, is not just a simple task like installing Win on this hardware.

If you like to follow my suggestions, I stay tuned and try to give you further support.

Have fun.

• Like 1