OSX on DELL Vostro 3450 / Inspiron N4110 / XPS L702x UEFI Clover

TimeWalker75a

1,149 posts in this topic

TimeWalker75a,

I wonder how you put together all these DSDT and SSDT tables? This information was taken from where? I would like to learn to contribute to the community. There is software that takes information RWEverything, was trying to understand what you had done, from where it had taken the information to a kext rise in the system by just putting "date" in the config clover. If you can clarify, thank you very much!

I have not pursued 10.11 as everyone who has NEC/Renesas USB3 ports (most users of these mafhines) on their daughter boards will not be able to use them - no drivers any longer.

Hey @TimeWalker75a - good to hear from you. Long time no speak! Keen to hear what you've been working on lately.

Just an FYI, I've managed to get USB3 partially working on the Dell XPS15z, through kext manipulation and some DSDT edits. USB storage drives work fine and fast, and I can charge any devices from them. The only problem is with Apple devices, they charge OK but iTunes doesn't recognise them. But you're right, all support for NEC/Renesas is mostly dead otherwise. Pity.

I'm 99.9% certain i flashed bios when i first got this laptop as yours was the first guide i tried.  Any way to tell for sure?  I wouldn't be able to be using uefi clover without it, right?

You might as well be using some earlier version that was posted and doesn't have the latest ACPI fixed that I've included in A12C4 (Custom rev.4). I'm not like those people who put flashy text on their custom stuff, so the only way for you to tell would be to look at the ACPI method _INI in _SB.PCI0 scope. If Darwin is listed there, you have C4, otherwise you don't .. duh. Also, Media Button device should appear like this: 

Device (MBT)
                {
                    Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C32"))  // _HID: Hardware ID
                    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
                    {
                        If ((OSYS >= 0x07D6))
                        {
                            Return (0x0F)
                        }
                        Else
                        {
                            Return (Zero)
                        }
                    }
                    Method (GHID, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Return (Buffer (One)
                        {
                             0x02                                             /* . */
                        })
                    }
                }

These are my selections in the SCT Package.  Only thing I omitted is wifi as I don't see my cart (Intel 1030) on there.  This configuration caused my clover not to boot just running the SCT Package and restarting

Also post 5 you include a download link specific to N4110 ...

Im not trying to be difficult, just want to make sure I'm understanding right, because if I run the SCT tool as I posted, its not going to boot, so i want to fully understand so I can get this running right.

The easiest way is to copy your working Clover setup from ESP onto a USB flash drive formatted as FAT32, have a directory EFI/BOOT on there with CLOVERX64.EFI named as BOOTX64.EFI so you can boot any time via that option if hell breaks loose. Then once you have installed the SCT package, you can mount your ESP and check the contents of patched tables, config, drivers etc.. to have an idea of what has been installed. The platform issue you were having clearly comes from the SMBIOS being butchered up by something .. my best guess is merging your old config with the one SCT puts on ESP. 

Also while at it, weren't you saying that you've got one of those Fast Ethernet daughterboards, then why are you using the Gigabit option in the 'Customize' of SCT?

What you are saying about the items being posted and having to rename folders concerned PRE-installation only and I think you are waaaay past that stage, so shouldn't be looking at any of these things at all.

TimeWalker75a,

I wonder how you put together all these DSDT and SSDT tables? This information was taken from where? I would like to learn to contribute to the community. There is software that takes information RWEverything, was trying to understand what you had done, from where it had taken the information to a kext rise in the system by just putting "date" in the config clover. If you can clarify, thank you very much!

Believe it or not, ACPI is actually a language that you code things with, so tables have been fixed/adapted/created anew. The information was taken from my own experience, plenty of Intel register deciphering (i.e. for proper shutdown), also EC behavior reverse-engineering using RWE you mention. Some of it from requirements set by kext devs, like RehabMan - huge kudos. So to know how brightness is stored in EC or how the machine knows that you've plugged in the charger involved both reading the ACPI code if registers are published in ACPI, but could be I had to sit there plugging and unplugging or toggling things to see changes in the EC register map and document them .. like touchpad LED or keyboard backlight controls. 

A lot of the custom ACPI code is the basic necessity for OSX compatibility and then there's plenty more for workarounds on this idi0tic UEFI implementation.. I don't think I can give any kind of explanation on why things have been done they way they have as there's always a room for improvement, even at the stage these laptops are now, running Yosemite. The patches for DSDT in config are largely just patched ACPI tables that have been compared in HEX before and after tailoring the patches manually, but then extracting said differences with correct checksums to comprise the Find / Replace patterns. A lot of that involved the 'trial and error' approach. 

Hey @TimeWalker75a - good to hear from you. Long time no speak! Keen to hear what you've been working on lately.

Just an FYI, I've managed to get USB3 partially working on the Dell XPS15z, through kext manipulation and some DSDT edits. USB storage drives work fine and fast, and I can charge any devices from them. The only problem is with Apple devices, they charge OK but iTunes doesn't recognise them. But you're right, all support for NEC/Renesas is mostly dead otherwise. Pity.

Allo, yeah long time indeed! What is that yourself have been up to lately?

Not much here, been buried in work stuff due to some large projects, so had to skimp for about a year now not touching things that aren't broken .. you get me drift :) 

Picked up a Lenovo T420s about a week ago dirt cheap (shipping stuck in the border country though .. arrrgh!) as a new victim, which also has a Tiano firmware and therefore plenty of flaws. Will have to get a refresher on exercising the dark arts of BIOS modding, as the damn things comes with a WLAN whitelist, locked down AES-NI, locked MSR 0xE2, DDR speed locked at 1333 and virtually no Setup options ... bound to be fun. Coincidentally, it also has a single NEC/Renesas USB3 port which I have looked into getting support for it beyond Yosemite and though it seems like there's a way to re-brand the chip via DFU to appear as a third party device, allowing to load 3rd party vendor drivers natively, the result is far from what I would consider ideal.. so I might be just disabling XHCI altogether. 

You're in luck. There's a lot of work done on the forum I used to write a lot on(bios mods) that specifically addresses how to patch MSR 0xE2, and unlock hidden menus etc. IIRC there's also an APTIO modding tool on Fernando's forum to directly patch these as well.

But same as you, if it ain't broke don't fix. I've successfully upgraded my L511z to 10.11.5 and incrementally patch the HDA/IO/USB each release. Everything else works fine same as it did back in Mavericks. These days I use a retina MacBook Pro anyway, so no time for incrementally updating. I do have my eyes on the latest XPS w/Skylake tho... so you never know when I'll pop back into this again ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Timewalker - we look forward to seeing you on the T420 thread soon...

Notes:  (sorry about off-topic here)

BIOS: There is a modded bios for your new box to remove white-list and enable other adv features  - BUT STAY ON v1.46 !!! though.

USB3 - and there seems to be a report of using Rehabman's GenericXCHI kext for USB3 on el capitan for this Renaisas chop . as you know i have T420 (not T420s) - but others will be interested in your findings.

You're in luck. There's a lot of work done on the forum I used to write a lot on(bios mods) that specifically addresses how to patch MSR 0xE2, and unlock hidden menus etc. IIRC there's also an APTIO modding tool on Fernando's forum to directly patch these as well.

But same as you, if it ain't broke don't fix. I've successfully upgraded my L511z to 10.11.5 and incrementally patch the HDA/IO/USB each release. Everything else works fine same as it did back in Mavericks. These days I use a retina MacBook Pro anyway, so no time for incrementally updating. I do have my eyes on the latest XPS w/Skylake tho... so you never know when I'll pop back into this again ;)

Eh, won't call it luck .. and I've been on that forum board quite frequent too if you recall. All the posts for this gen of laptops over there seems to have been taken over by some Ukrainian guy who's got himself banned due to deliberately charging for "his" work, while none of that work was his to begin with. It was rinse and repeat on a solid ground. Just had a look in the BIOS using UEFITool and it's the same kind of routine to lock down the write to 0xE2 in the same module - PowerManagement2.efi, heck even having the same GUID as on the Vostro.

c772377a26.png

Reckon the other stuff won't be any different, or perhaps not that drastically different anyway.

@Timewalker - we look forward to seeing you on the T420 thread soon...

Notes:  (sorry about off-topic here)

BIOS: There is a modded bios for your new box to remove white-list and enable other adv features  - BUT STAY ON v1.46 !!! though.

USB3 - and there seems to be a report of using Rehabman's GenericXCHI kext for USB3 on el capitan for this Renaisas chop . as you know i have T420 (not T420s) - but others will be interested in your findings.

And now two worlds collide .. :) 

Perhaps diving into the off-topic, but hey .. I don't think 1.46 is something available for the slim model, it's 1.39 followed by 1.41. Any particular reason to stay on 1.46 for regular T420 besides the fact that nobody has come up with a patched 1.48? I know it says you can't go back once you upgrade, but that's only applicable to the EC firmware which you won't be messing with if you decide to go back or flash something custom. 

You might as well be using some earlier version that was posted and doesn't have the latest ACPI fixed that I've included in A12C4 (Custom rev.4). I'm not like those people who put flashy text on their custom stuff, so the only way for you to tell would be to look at the ACPI method _INI in _SB.PCI0 scope. If Darwin is listed there, you have C4, otherwise you don't .. duh. Also, Media Button device should appear like this: 

Device (MBT)
                {
                    Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0C32"))  // _HID: Hardware ID
                    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)  // _STA: Status
                    {
                        If ((OSYS >= 0x07D6))
                        {
                            Return (0x0F)
                        }
                        Else
                        {
                            Return (Zero)
                        }
                    }
                    Method (GHID, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        Return (Buffer (One)
                        {
                             0x02                                             /* . */
                        })
                    }
                }

The easiest way is to copy your working Clover setup from ESP onto a USB flash drive formatted as FAT32, have a directory EFI/BOOT on there with CLOVERX64.EFI named as BOOTX64.EFI so you can boot any time via that option if hell breaks loose. Then once you have installed the SCT package, you can mount your ESP and check the contents of patched tables, config, drivers etc.. to have an idea of what has been installed. The platform issue you were having clearly comes from the SMBIOS being butchered up by something .. my best guess is merging your old config with the one SCT puts on ESP. 

Also while at it, weren't you saying that you've got one of those Fast Ethernet daughterboards, then why are you using the Gigabit option in the 'Customize' of SCT?

I only flashed the BIOS maybe a month or two ago, so it should be the most recent version.  Didn't think of copying clover to a USB drive, ill do that....Should it be MBR or GUID?

How do I avoid it merging my old config with the one SCT puts on ESP?

About the ethernet, you are right, I am an idiot.  For some reason i thought it was Realtek 8111 and not 8100.  Subsequently, that got my App Store and FaceTime access back. 

Im going to wait to try again until the new wifi/bt card shows up tomorrow.  But if you can guide me to what I should be doing to avoid it merging the configs.  I do notice, there are boot args in the config I have from RehabMan, whereas yours had no boot args.  Will that make a world of difference?

kext-dev-mode=1 dart=0 slide=0 nv_disable=1

This is the config.plist I'm using right now: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD3000_1366x768.plist 

It boots it just fine.  I guess I should look to where yours might differ...I appreciate your help.  I do want it working nearly 100% and an automated tool is great if i can get it to work right.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I followed instructions from post #1:

1) Flashed BIOS to A13 (A13C4)

2) Downloaded and unzipped UEFI Clover USB.zip to USB flash drive.

3) Renamed EFI/CLOVER/config-14 to config.plist, and EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched14 to patched

4) I cannot start installer OS X El Capitan I get the following error:

OsxAptipFix: Error - requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block
Requested mem: 560D000 - 569FFFF, Pages 93, Size: 93000

Update:

I fixed OsxAptipFix: Error by using OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi 

Tried booting with -x -v, another error:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

still waiting for root device

Fixed above error with -x -v UseKernelCache=No

Now I get error:
[pci configuration end, bridges 5 devices 12]
Missing bluetooth controller transport! 

Any suggestions how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I followed instructions from post #1:

1) Flashed BIOS to A13 (A13C4)

2) Downloaded and unzipped UEFI Clover USB.zip to USB flash drive.

3) Renamed EFI/CLOVER/config-14 to config.plist, and EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched14 to patched

4) I cannot start installer OS X El Capitan I get the following error:

OsxAptipFix: Error - requested memory exceeds our allocated relocation block

Requested mem: 560D000 - 569FFFF, Pages 93, Size: 93000

Update:

I fixed OsxAptipFix: Error by using OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi 

Tried booting with -x -v, another error:

Waiting on <dict ID="0"><key>IOProviderClass</key><string ID="1">IOResources</string><key>IOResourceMatch</key><string ID="2">boot-uuid-media</string></dict>

Fixed above error with -x -v UseKernelCache=No

Now I get error:

[pci configuration end, bridges 5 devices 12]

Missing bluetooth controller transport! 

Any suggestions how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Im on 10.10.3 but I was able to install/upgrade to 10.11.5, but had way too many issues with Renesas USB3 problems, it running choppy and the graphics not working that great.

After 10.10.3 i had installed the rehabman kexts for non intel usb3, not sure if it did anything, but i was able to install and boot (with lots of USB errors).  You have different USB3 chipset though, so you probably won't have those problems (and can use rehab mans intel kext).

My boot args look like this: 

slide=0 dart=0 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1

As far as the bluetooth problem, I'm not totally sure.  I changed my internal wifi/bluetooth card out to one that is natively supported by Airport Extreme and native BT4.  I can say, before the card, I couldn't ever successfully install 10.11, but that could just be placebo or have nothing to do with it.
  • Like 1

I know this isn't the best place for this, but since quite a few N4110 (and other) users use this thread, I just wanted to post that it is possible to add a backlit keyboard to the N4110.

post-178151-0-27759000-1468867711_thumb.jpg

Here is the stock keyboard.  It can be removed by pushing in 4 clips at the top of the keyboard and sliding in a small knife or flathead screwdriver to lift it up.

post-178151-0-25571800-1468867829_thumb.jpg

Notice there is a plastic shield to the bottom of the keyboard connector, next to the optical drive.  This is where your backlight connector is hiding.  (Yes the stock keyboard looks like there is soda or something previously spilled.  Im not the original owner of this, but everything works thankfully)

post-178151-0-79092200-1468868709_thumb.jpg

I took a soldering iron  to carefully melt the plastic along the factory seams to remove this covering.  In retrospect, I didn't need to remove that much, but it is what it is.  Keep in mind this picture was taken as soon as I removed it, so I haven't sanded or smoothed it out.

post-178151-0-15625600-1468868821_thumb.jpg

Here is what the work was done for.  The hidden ribbon connector.  It is labeled J6.  

Just to confirm this is the right connector, I found the schematic for this motherboard:

http://www.s-manuals.com/pdf/motherboard/quanta/quanta_v02,_r01_r1a_20110119_schematics.pdf

Take a look at page 30, Key board illumination.  The connector is also labeled J6.  Wahoo.  (the Vostro 3450 also uses this board, and has a backlit keyboard option, so it also makes sense)

s_l1600.jpg

Here is the keyboard Im going to be using.  Notice the additional small ribbon cable that wasn't there on the stock keyboard.  This is what will plug into the J6 connector.  

Success:

post-178151-0-40266000-1468874859_thumb.jpg

post-178151-0-44021600-1468874880_thumb.jpg

Fn + F6 Dims backlight on first press, FN + F6 turns off backlight on 2nd, and on 3rd returns to full brightness.

• Like 1

hey guys, I have one more question, my USB 2.0 and eSATA doesn't work in El Capitan (eSATA just charge), USBs 3.0 is ok.

how can I enable that?

:P

Hi Sergio,

I have same laptop. Is your Bluetooth, and webcam working, if so can you share info on how did you make it work? Also, how to disable ATI graphics?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

My WiFi + Bluetooth mini card

HP Broadcom BCM94352HMB 4352 WiFi+ BT 4.0 867 Mbps Card 802.11ac SPS:724935-001

Hi Sergio,

I have same laptop. Is your Bluetooth, and webcam working, if so can you share info on how did you make it work? Also, how to disable ATI graphics?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

For 94352hmb (mines an azureware, but it shouldn't matter)

Wifi (2.4ghz)

1. Backup S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext

2. Copy S/L/E/IO80211Family.kext to Desktop

3. Property List Editor/Open/Desktop/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/ AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/Info.plist

4. Open IOKitPersonalities

5. Open Broadcom 802.11 PCI

6. Open IONameMatch

7. find: <string>pci14e4,43a0</string> Native

replace with: <string>pci14e4,43b1</string> For BCM94352 HMB

10. Save

11. Run kext installer 

For 5.0ghz, BT, handoff

Installation

1. Kext/binary patch
    1. Download (View Raw) wireless_bcm94352-110-v4.0.command.zip
    2. Double click Downloads/wireless_bcm94352-11-v4.0.command
      1. Select patch:
        1. Patch: 2
          1. Handoff/BCM94352/US-FCC
        2. Patch: 3
          1. Handoff/BCM94352/Country Code

Im in the US, so I chose patch 2, and when it said complete, I restarted, done.

Credit:Toleda

For 5.0ghz, BT, handoff

Installation

1. Kext/binary patch
      1. Select patch:

Thanks for these steps!

My WiFi was working before I tried above command (patch 2), I don't see bluetooth anywhere. Any ideas?

For 5.0ghz, BT, handoff

Installation

1. Kext/binary patch
      1. Select patch:

Thanks for these steps!

My WiFi was working before I tried above command (patch 2), I don't see bluetooth anywhere. Any ideas?

https://github.com/toleda/wireless_half-mini

Be sure to read through the readme.md

Also, make sure bt is active in networking and bt preferences

Hi Sergio,

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Hey, 

so, my webcam work fine, but I didn't anything for that  :angel:

I just install the OS and it started working  :thumbsup_anim:

my Bluetooth don't work yet, just wifi

my laptop is Dell Vostro 3450, and my wireless lan is Dell Dw1702/Atheros Ar5b195

so, I used AtherosWiFiInjector.kext and my wifi is working fine 

:P

Most of features on my Dell Vostro 3450 are working
(WiFi, LAN, Audio, Trackpad, Sleep, Battery)

However, none of my USB ports are working.

Anyone got USB working on Dell Vostro 3450

See attached screenshot of DPCIManager (PCI List)

USB 2.0 (Intel 6 Series/C200 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller)

USB 3.0 Host Controller (NEC Corporation)

post-705410-0-24040200-1469426873_thumb.jpg