Graphics - No GPU Power Management

chevalier433

270 posts in this topic

I use a Kepler (GTX650 OC), the GPU frequency will stuck to 1.2GHz after preview a picture.

This issue has been found since 10.8.2, after upgrading to 10.9.2 yesterday and the issue remains...

only restart computer helps..sleep won't help...

Hello

What GPU PM issue are you getting?

Anyone use the LegacyAGPM method? works for me... i put the file here for your convenience. If you use it only modify the SMBios and DeviceID strings in info.plist with your info ( the file is made for iMac 12.1 and GTX 560 ), install in S/L/E, repair permissions and recreate cache, then only reboot... and test if power management works correctly

Note: If you work with a Mavericks version 10.9 or 10.9.1, modify the CFBundleVersion string with the version number found in the original AGPM.kext´s info.plist

LegacyAGPM.kext.zip

Hi there,

Solved mystery of GPU stuck at full speed in 3D. I have EVGA GTX 570 on w/c, BIOS 70.10.49.00.74 and dual 22" monitors.

It's a shame really, because GPU will stuck on full 3D mode as there is apparently a hardware limitation:

GPU Runs at a High Performance Level (full clock speeds) in Multi-display Modes 

This is a hardware limitation and not a software bug. Even when no 3D programs are 
running, the driver will operate the GPU at a high performance level in order to 
efficiently drive multiple displays. In the case of SLI or multi‐GPU PCs, the second GPU 
will always operate with full clock speeds; again, in order to efficiently drive multiple 
displays. Today, all hardware from all GPU vendors have this limitation.

post-695598-0-20668600-1393775069_thumb.gif

Anyone use the LegacyAGPM method? works for me... i put the file here for your convenience. If you use it only modify the SMBios and DeviceID strings in info.plist with your info ( the file is made for iMac 12.1 and GTX 560 ), install in S/L/E, repair permissions and recreate cache, then only reboot... and test if power management works correctly

Note: If you work with a Mavericks version 10.9 or 10.9.1, modify the CFBundleVersion string with the version number found in the original AGPM.kext´s info.plist

I have tried and it does not help. Clocks stay at high state after using Luxmark or Quicklook.

New CUDA Driver Version: 5.5.47 on CUDA preferences panel, installed and checked

everything is working now!!! yeahhhh!!!

I'm getting reports the latest CUDA drivers somehow solve the problem. Can anyone confirm?

• 4 weeks later...

still stuck.. i wonder if flashing a custom fan curve bios will help, not sure about the p states, but it will at least stay cooler while gaming in mac os

No, sounds like it would damage your card. The clock speed bug needs to be fixed.

Don't get your hopes up on this ever being fixed.  If it's not happening on actual apple hardware then it won't be fixed.  It'll end up like the fermi freeze issue.

It is happening on apple hardware, isn't it? I think I saw a topic like that on the support forum

• 1 month later...

This is great news!!! I just did it and it works great! About time. No need to add any kernel flags, the driver installation itself adds the flag. The only thing needed now is an update to cuda. Just brilliant