Airport - PCIe Half Mini

toleda
826 posts in this topic

With those changes I can remove FakePCIID, all kernel patches for WiFi, and any SSDT for wifi.

FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext looks for "supported" devices and "injects" a supported device-id (one of those listed in /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/Info.plist). "SSDT for wifi" does the same thing. It injects a device ARPT with hardware-ids listed in that Info.plist.

If you directly patch AirPortBrcm4360.kext, you'll need to re-patch it every time you update the os, as Apple overwrites their kexts. It is correct, but not very efficient IMHO.

FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext looks for "supported" devices and "injects" a supported device-id (one of those listed in /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortBrcm4360.kext/Contents/Info.plist). "SSDT for wifi" does the same thing. It injects a device ARPT with hardware-ids listed in that Info.plist.

If you directly patch AirPortBrcm4360.kext, you'll need to re-patch it every time you update the os, as Apple overwrites their kexts. It is correct, but not very efficient IMHO.

I agree, and I understand that. The problem being that with FakePCIID, clover kext patches, or any SSDT (not doing all three at once of course) I am unable to get WiFi on a fresh install of 10.12.6 with my DW1560. My particular card requires some manner of injection, plus the fcvo patch to even appear.

The best I can get with any injection attempt plus the clover patch for fcvo is that DPCI manager sees it as "Unknown" and Brcm4360 is loaded, but no WiFi appears.

By directly editing the kext it works. I have no such problems in 10.13, so this is related to fcvo somehow in 10.12.6, not the actual injection.

I think I must have something rattling around loose over here, but I can't find where I have gone wrong. A fresh install of 10.12.6 has no working WiFi, while my older 10.12.6 install does when both are using the exact same EFI folder.

edit: (more info)

If you you have a WiFi card that requires fcvo then I would appreciate it if in the latest version of 10.12.6 you would remove all devices from Sys Pref->Network, then delete NetworkInterfaces.plist, then reboot. Can you re-add in WiFi?

I cannot if I do that to my old 10.12.6 that otherwise has working WiFi. Removing WiFi from Network breaks WiFi until I manually edit the kext.

Ok that seems like a good plan at first to get WiFi but not good when updating, so I pose a question would it be wiser to do a 10.13 install and if so do I need to use FakePCIID for my cpu and What not like I do with 10.12.6? I know this isn’t the thread for that so if so could you comment on my thread I linked in a previous post

I agree, and I understand that. The problem being that with FakePCIID, clover kext patches, or any SSDT (not doing all three at once of course) I am unable to get WiFi on a fresh install of 10.12.6 with my DW1560. My particular card requires some manner of injection, plus the fcvo patch to even appear.

The best I can get with any injection attempt plus the clover patch for fcvo is that DPCI manager sees it as "Unknown" and Brcm4360 is loaded, but no WiFi appears.

By directly editing the kext it works. I have no such problems in 10.13, so this is related to fcvo somehow in 10.12.6, not the actual injection.

I think I must have something rattling around loose over here, but I can't find where I have gone wrong. A fresh install of 10.12.6 has no working WiFi, while my older 10.12.6 install does when both are using the exact same EFI folder.

edit: (more info)

If you you have a WiFi card that requires fcvo then I would appreciate it if in the latest version of 10.12.6 you would remove all devices from Sys Pref->Network, then delete NetworkInterfaces.plist, then reboot. Can you re-add in WiFi?

I cannot if I do that to my old 10.12.6 that otherwise has working WiFi. Removing WiFi from Network breaks WiFi until I manually edit the kext.

For Sierra, basic requirements for BCM94252 WiFi:

- FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext

- 'fcvo' patch from the-darkvoid

- reboot, rebuild caches, reboot

(nothing else)

• Like 2

For Sierra, basic requirements for BCM94252 WiFi:

- FakePCIID.kext + FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext

- 'fcvo' patch from the-darkvoid

- reboot, rebuild caches, reboot

(nothing else)

Yes, and having those in place (although I use an SSDT over FakePCIID, same results with FakePCIID) results in me having working wifi with DW1560 up until I did a fresh install with updates to the last few security updates. The EFI folder didn't change. Clearly something is happening, but I guess it is just me. It sure seems like the fcvo patch is no longer applying even thought it is verifiably still valid for the latest binary.

Yes, and having those in place (although I use an SSDT over FakePCIID, same results with FakePCIID) results in me having working wifi with DW1560 up until I did a fresh install with updates to the last few security updates. The EFI folder didn't change. Clearly something is happening, but I guess it is just me. It sure seems like the fcvo patch is no longer applying even thought it is verifiably still valid for the latest binary.

Check that the Name you have for the fcvo patch in your KextsToPatch entry correctly identifies the bundleid of the kext: com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360

A recent change in Clover (by Slice) means that the Name must match against only the bundleid, not other data in the Infol.plist.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Check that the Name you have for the fcvo patch in your KextsToPatch entry correctly identifies the bundleid of the kext: com.apple.driver.AirPort.Brcm4360

A recent change in Clover (by Slice) means that the Name must match against only the bundleid, not other data in the Infol.plist.

Thank you. Yes, it was Clover related. I could get WiFi back by using a different version of Clover, or making the change you suggest.

@Toleda, can you update the OP to reflect this? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

First all I wanted to say a huge thank you for providing these fixes, I've installed the Wi-Fi support and patches for my BCM4352 without issue, and that aspect is working perfectly.

However, I'm having a lot more trouble with getting Bluetooth to work, so I'm wondering if someone could break the instructions down further for me, as I feel like I'm not understanding them. I've got a few specific questions:

1. What am I actually supposed to do exactly regarding USB fixes? It sounds like this might be my issue, as macOS doesn't appear to be seeing my Bluetooth controller at all. However, if I install USBInjectAll.kext many of my USB devices (specifically, USB3 hard drives) stop appearing. While I realise that this kext is only intended for temporary use, should it be having this effect? Should my Bluetooth device appear as a USB device while this kext is installed? The instructions really aren't clear what I'm supposed to do after adding this kext either. It talks about creating a customised injector, but I'm really unclear on that aspect, as the instructions just seem to have examples, it doesn't really state where I actually begin.
  2. The instructions for adding Bluetooth support also mention installing BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, but the linked repository doesn't have that available, and the instructions there specifically state that it was removed and needs to be built, so do I in fact need to build this using Xcode, or are these two sets of instructions out of sync?
  3. Are there any SSDT-based alternatives for any of the steps, or does this have to be done via kexts?

Sorry, maybe I'm being stupid, as there's a lot to take in. I haven't had working Bluetooth for a while as I never really needed it, but I'd like to get it working this time if I can.

1. What am I actually supposed to do exactly regarding USB fixes?
  2. The instructions for adding Bluetooth support also mention installing BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext, 
  3. Are there any SSDT-based alternatives for any of the steps, or does this have to be done via kexts?

1. See Post #1/Bluetooth Injection Methods/1. kext enabler/2. Correctly configured USB, see ...

2. My mistake, install BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext. Post #1 fixed

3. Correct USB configuration uses boot arguments, kext and ssdt; see #1.

• Like 1

1. See Post #1/Bluetooth Injection Methods/1. kext enabler/2. Correctly configured USB, see ...

2. My mistake, install BrcmPatchRAM2.kext and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext. Post #1 fixed

3. Correct USB configuration uses boot arguments, kext and ssdt; see #1.

Unfortunately I'm still having trouble; I can't get anywhere beyond installation of USBInjectAll.kext.

If I install it, then most of my USB devices become unavailable, specifically my three external drives, though my keyboard and mouse fortunately continue to function, and Bluetooth still isn't recognised. It seems like my USB3 bus is being disabled with the kext installed.

I'm running macOS 10.13.2 (with supplemental update), on a Q87T Motherboard from ASUS, following this guide.

I'm attaching all the problem reporting files requested in the first post, except for Wi-Fi specific stuff (since Wi-Fi is working perfectly), and System Report/Information since Hardware/Bluetooth shows no devices, and Hardware/USB doesn't show my Broadcom controller. I've include an IOReg file both with and without USBInjectAll.kext loaded, not sure if that makes a difference.

Problem Reporting.zip

still having trouble; I can't get anywhere beyond installation of USBInjectAll.kext.

Correctly configured USB includes an ssdt, USBInjectAll.kext and config.plist/Boot/Argument. RehabMan's README describes the method; there are no shortcuts.

USB is off topic.

• 2 months later...

Problem getting my BCM94352 HMB/AzureWave AW-CE123H "Wifi" to switch on.

Can see the card installed, Bluetooth is working (BrcmPatchRAM method).

In system preferences/Network I try to turn on Wifi but it just flashes and remains off.

I have tried all the methods. Both on 10.12.6 and now on 10.13.4

For both OS with the FakePCIID method, I get the same problem that wifi won't switch on. I wondered if it was anything to do with wifi been on en2? 

Gigabyte Z97N-wifi (card replaced to BCM94352 HMB) / Bios F3 / i3-4330 / Intel 4600

Method, from here (insanely mac), Injection- FakePCIID

Problem Report.zip

6 hours ago, Hervé said:

Clover on-the-fly or id-faking facility.

RehabMan's FakePCIID/FakePCIID-Broadcom-WiFi does the same in a kext.

See IOReg/Airport_Brcm4360/IOnameMatch/pci14e4,4353 ...

and IOReg/Airport_Brcm4360/FakePCID/IONameMatched/pci14e4,43b1

No kext edits or dsdt edits; automatic.

See https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Fake-PCI-ID

12 hours ago, runin said:

wondered if it was anything to do with wifi been on en2? 

No.

12 hours ago, runin said:

try to turn on Wifi but it just flashes and remains off.

May be a hardware problem.

Edited by toleda

• 2 months later...

Thanks to the guide and kexts here I've had my Broadcom BCM4352 working with both WiFi and Bluetooth for some time now , so many thanks for these!

But I have a question; does it work with Clover's UEFI?

The reason I ask is that my current keyboard (a Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic) has proven to be a lot less solidly built than I originally thought, that and a total inability to clean it is rendering it increasingly useless. Meanwhile Apple is finally producing a full-sized wireless aluminium keyboard, after years of asking them for one. But unlike the Sculpt which uses a USB dongle, the Apple Wireless keyboard is entirely Bluetooth, so I'm wondering whether I'll be able to use it prior to startup, i.e- for selecting a startup volume and entering my Filevault password?

Does anyone know if the Broadcom BCM4352 works with Clover UEFI? Unfortunately I don't have any working Bluetooth input devices or I'd have tested for myself, so I'd appreciate if someone could let me know, and if it requires any extra EFI drivers.

It's no big deal if it doesn't work, as I can just buy a cheap USB keyboard for startup, and I probably should as a backup anyway (my old g3 iMac keyboard isn't doing so well either), but it'd be nice to know for sure in advance if possible!

Hi @Haravikk

I have one magic keyboard from apple, and the same bluetooth, and it works in clover boot, but for simple tasks like changing boot options in clover, it's not full function like a wired one... I think

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2018 at 12:25 PM, Haravikk said:

the Apple Wireless keyboard is entirely Bluetooth, so I'm wondering whether I'll be able to use it prior to startup, i.e- for selecting a startup volume and entering my Filevault password?

Not a Clover problem, BIOS problem. BIOS includes USB drivers (wired keyboards), not Apple bluetooth drivers (Apple Wireless keyboard).  BIOS screen avaiable before Clover starts.

Edited by toleda

• 3 weeks later...

config.plist/Boot/Arguments/Boot-arg "brcmfx-country=CC

option brcmfx-country also can be injected via DSDT or AddProperties/Arbitrary in Clover

question: can you tell me how you can do it via DSDT or AddProperties / Arbitrary in Clover

Thanks

On 7/3/2018 at 10:49 PM, toleda said:

Not a Clover problem, BIOS problem. BIOS includes USB drivers (wired keyboards), not Apple bluetooth drivers (Apple Wireless keyboard).  BIOS screen avaiable before Clover starts.

Just wanted to give up an update since I went ahead and got the keyboard; it works fine on the Clover boot-screen so long as the keyboard is connected using its USB cable, but for some reason it doesn't work with the FileVault login screen, I'm not sure why the two should be different? I know this probably isn't the right topic to dig into that, but just thought I'd give the update for anyone curious; the keyboard works fine for picking a startup volume in Clover, and once macOS starts up it works flawlessly with the appropriate Broadcom kexts etc., I just need to narrow down the FileVault step, until then I'm using another keyboard to boot (which I only do every few weeks anyway).

• 2 months later...

@toleda

I have downloaded config-bcm94352-130.plist.zip to be use in HighSierra (10.13.6)

This is what confused me...
The plist is  patching com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC-MFG (AirPortBrcmNIC-MFG.kext) in High Sierra.
But AirPortBrcmNIC-MFG.kext doesnt have all those hex. However, It can all be found in AirPortBrcmNIC.kext which is com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC.

Now, do we need to change all:

com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC-MFG

to

com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC

?

Edited by ellaosx

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 4:21 AM, ellaosx said:

@toleda

The plist is  patching com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC-MFG (AirPortBrcmNIC-MFG.kext) in High Sierra.
But AirPortBrcmNIC-MFG.kext doesnt have all those hex. However, It can all be found in AirPortBrcmNIC.kext which is com.apple.driver.AirPort.BrcmNIC.

Each of the 3 High Sierra WiFi methods patch a different kext as noted in Post #1.  

Edited by toleda