To Powerbook or not?

45 posts in this topic

Wow munky, must be really frustrating for you having go through all that hassle. I'm rather surprised with Apple's build quality this time around.

sandmanfvrga I'm in the same boat as you about them macbooks. A friend of mine just returned his unit to apple refusing to boot apprently due to overheating. Well, i'm not in a rush to get one and will resort to my Dell laptop for the meantime. Can't afford the new macbook pro and can't afford the time to attend to factory returns. :)

Wow munky, must be really frustrating for you having go through all that hassle. I'm rather surprised with Apple's build quality this time around.

sandmanfvrga I'm in the same boat as you about them macbooks. A friend of mine just returned his unit to apple refusing to boot apprently due to overheating. Well, i'm not in a rush to get one and will resort to my Dell laptop for the meantime. Can't afford the new macbook pro and can't afford the time to attend to factory returns. :)

Same here, same here... idc if they have problems as much as if they have problems and the company says that it is not a problem or its not their fault or that its not covered under warrenty, the whole community shouldnt have to {censored} and moan to get a replacement.

max

i stand by what i said... IF you can get a good macbook, its a great machine.

if i had the guts of this current machine, with the casing and screen of my last one, i would seriously have my perfect machine. the thing is, it always takes apple time to iron out issues with their hardware - ALL their hardware, not just the macbooks. ibooks have certainly had their share of issues, but they've had the benefit of a few revisions to iron out the flaws. macbooks will reach the same level of quality (i hope!).

the macbooks have had a few 'back to the drawing board' moments, and each time things have improved. the discoloration was caused by inferior plastics, so they've changed the plastics they're using. the random shutdowns were caused by faulty heatsink assemblies. im confident that that issue is now resolved - indeed, i've stress tested this macbook for hours at 100% cpu utilisation, without problems.

the best thing we can do is just keep sending them back or demanding replacements until we get a good one. im sure the latest batches have solved the heatsink, discoloration etc problems, so in my case its just a matter of getting one without the sticky key or spongy trackpad, which - lets face it - arent critical (tho of course i will return it - a brand new laptop shouldnt have these issues).

i have to say, tho, despite the issues i've had, i still wouldnt trade my macbook for an ibook or powerbook, not in a million years. note that i do speak from experience - i owned a 12'' powerbook g4 (1.33ghz, 1.25gb ram) for over a year, so i know what im talking about.

I have ordered a macbook 2Ghz with 1GB of memory, its due to arrive on friday. I say get the macbook mate, its obviously going to out perform a 2 year or so old powerbook. Ive got a widescreen display ready to plug it into anyways, i reccomend you do the same if youre video editing. I edit music etc so i need as much screen space as possible to view my effects units and project screen. Also if you check this video you will see that with 2gb of ram you will have a good amount of graphisc processing...

Well Munky my friend, IF is a big f'ing word for ordering and hoping a laptop will work. Apple is really dropping the ball here. I just don't understand why they just don't nip the quality issue in the bud and be done with it.

beep, you can get an ibook on the refurb, but for $999! Rediculous prices. ebay it.

sandman: i dont know how the law works where you are, but here in the uk we have 'distance selling regulations'. this means that im free to return the macbook (or any product ordered online or over the phone) within 14 days of receiving it, *for any reason whatsoever*, and for a full refund. i can go through this cycle as many times as i want, and i dont lose anything. i can do it twenty times over and then decide just to keep my money, if i really want to. so the 'f-ing big IF' isnt really that much of a big deal, to me at least.

note that i do speak from experience - i owned a 12'' powerbook g4 (1.33ghz, 1.25gb ram) for over a year, so i know what im talking about.

Well, I've owned a G3 iBook with 384 MB of RAM for over TWO YEARS and wouldn't trade it in for something with as many issues as a Macbook.

and, what, the g3 ibooks never had any problems!?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook#Quality_issues

This just proves my point - you got a good one, once the issues were ironed out. MacBooks will go the same way soon.

I think the major problems (discoloration, random shutdown) are gone now. My one just had minor quality issues with the keyboard and trackpad button. Nothing huge, but still enough for me to return it for another.

So you can trade in all that stuff OVER AND OVER and that makes it right? No offense Munky my friend, you lost this discussion/debate. The Macbook is having issues, in another thread a guys Macbook Pro went completely down and now it is in for repairs. See he doesn't have what you have, so the big f'ing IF is now making it to where he has to put his MBP in REPAIR, not replacement, REPAIR dude. It is unacceptable. Apple needs to get this right. When I get the funds, ibook for me.

So you can trade in all that stuff OVER AND OVER and that makes it right? No offense Munky my friend, you lost this discussion/debate.

oh, im sorry, i didnt realise it was a competition. *sigh*

im not saying its alright. its unfortunate, yes, its annoying, certainly, but it is at least acceptable customer service.

my real point, which i have tried to reiterate is that the ibook, like every apple machine, has had its share of problems, but they were ironed out over time - THAT is why they are reliable now. the macbook will go the same way (in fact, im sure they're at that point now - random shutdown and discoloration problems being solved).

the fact that i am STILL willing to pursue getting a MacBook, when I have had the experience of a G4 PowerBook (supposedly a more powerful machine than the iBook G4 you're considering) must surely speak volumes about the strength of the pros - because, despite the cons, im still feelin the macbook love.

im pretty darn lucky my mbp is flawless.

they make you think so, hmm?

remember one thing when thinking about quality:

people do post their errors, but people will not post if everything is ok.

so we have one who is not satisfied, who starts a thread, where others, who are not satisfied can agree on "the hate on apple" ;-)

but remember...there may be people (and i think its the overwhelming majority) who have their mb´s / mbp´s

running flawlessly. it is a matter of your own statistics...

i found a german dealer which sells refurbished mbp´s for great prices, intensively tested and not having any issues! and well, i´m pretty sure my mbp will make no problems...

Sorry to come off as competitive, my bad. You are right that ibooks and other have had issues, but my point is that for most right now, ibooks and powerbooks are still fine. The macbooks and macbook pros are having to many issues, like you said, like older model macs had issues at one time. In time Apple will, hopefully, get them fixed, but right now it is a gamble to buy a macbook or macbook pro and it shouldn't be like that.

and, what, the g3 ibooks never had any problems!?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBook#Quality_issues

This just proves my point - you got a good one, once the issues were ironed out. MacBooks will go the same way soon.

I think the major problems (discoloration, random shutdown) are gone now. My one just had minor quality issues with the keyboard and trackpad button. Nothing huge, but still enough for me to return it for another.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER point to Wikipedia as a source of information. It is well known that it ca nbe up to 50% wrong in its articles. Also, a simple search at Apple itself will net you the same (and probably more accurate) result:

http://www.apple.com/support/ibook/faq/

Powerbook = Yes.

I'd love to go back to the old PPC days, but actually have something that had some power, a PowerBook is intelligent.

I own a white macbook and I am very pleased with it! No problems at all and works perfectly well for what I want :)

Unless you've already made the purchase, I'd say go Macbook! But then again its up to you :)