Success - Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Mavericks DP2 Haswell Hackintosh

gaspimp

248 posts in this topic

100% Working Features

- Onboard Intel i217 Ethernet (Need attached kext - AppleIntelE1000e.kext)

- Onboard Realtek ALC 898 Intel HDA Audio (Need attached kexts - AppleHDA.kext (back up existing one!) and HDAEnabler1.kext)

- Onboard Intel USB 3.0 (Native)

- Onboard Intel SATA3 in AHCI Mode (6GB/s) (Native)

- Onboard Graphics (see instructions in the 5th post of this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290406-success-gigabyte-z87x-ud3h-mavericks-dp2-haswell-hackintosh/?do=findComment&comment=1930808) - More info in this thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289729-success-gigabyte-z87-d3hp-first-haswell-hackintosh/page-6?do=findComment&comment=1927690 and at pikeralpha's blog http://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/

- NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670 Discrete Graphics card (Native)

- Sleep (Native)

Mostly Working Features

- Power Management (Native)

There are some missing P-states and strange issues according to pikeralpha here: Haswell CPU/iGPU power management with a GA-Z87M-D3H, however, it seems like it mostly works. The lowest a Haswell CPU will throttle to right now on this motherboard is 800MHz. Hopefully with future BIOS updates or hacks, this can be reduced even further. You can use the optional included AICPUPMInfo kext to learn more. However, the good news is that the latest F6L beta BIOS for the UD3H does not have the booting into 800MHz mode problem that pikeralpha experienced. The MSR_IA32_PERF_STATUS registers are set correctly and you will get your correct CPU speed.

Untested features not yet tested by anyone

- Onboard Marvell SATA3 (6Gb/s) AHCI controller for eSATA and extra onboard ports. Shows up in System Profiler natively without any work or kexts, but I have not tested it! As with any other motherboard, don't use these ports unless you have to. Even if they work 100%, the Intel controller is always more stable and reliable, and faster too.

Not Working Features

- Nothing!

Important BIOS Setting Tested using Gigabyte Beta Bios F6L from http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html YMMV with other BIOS versions:

- If you are not using onboard graphics you have to disable it!

- Onboard SATA set to AHCI mode with Hot Plug turned on for every port

- XHCI mode set to Auto instead of Smart Auto

- EHCI Hand-off enabled

- XHCI Hand-off enabled

- Secure boot DISABLED

- Network stack DISABLED (this only affects the built in networking features of the UEFI bios, conflicts with AppleIntelE1000e)

- When booting Hackintosh volumes, you will see both a UEFI and non-UEFI version of the device in the boot list, use the non-UEFI version for quicker boot.

Guide

- Follow other Hackintosh guides for Mavericks USB install such as this one: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289062-109-mavericks-simple-vanilla-hackintosh-install-guide.

- Use latest chameleon build from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/59-chameleon-22-svn/ instead of older versions. (I have bundled v2253)

- Recommend you boot the first few times with -v -f so you can see if there are any problems.

- Ignore any kext zip bundles in other guides, use the one I've attached instead. Feel free to use those other packages for mach_kernel or OSInstall tweaks, just ignore the kexts!

- Make sure to chmod -R 755 and chown -R root:wheel all kexts before moving them to their desired locations.

Recommended Utilities

- Chameleon Wizard http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/257464-chameleon-wizard-utility-for-chameleon/ (I have bundled v4.2.1)

- HWMonitor (plugins pre-installed in attached FakeSMC.kext) http://hwmonitor.mac.informer.com (I have bundled v5.2)

Incompatible Recommended Utilities pending OS X 10.9 Updates

- Kext Utility

- Trim Enabler

Advice for anyone reading this thread to help with boards other than Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

- Avoid boards with Killer Gaming NIC. It will never work.

- Avoid boards with fancy gamer-oriented onboard audio Creative X-Fi stuff, it'll never work

- Avoid Asus Z87 boards completely until you can find evidence that they've fixed them. As of 2013-07-07 they all have a UEFI bug with booting GPT partitioned storage devices. You can get it to work with MBR patches but it is extra work and error-prone. I returned my Z87-Pro for this very reason. Lots of nasty back and forth with an unhelpful Asus rep at Hardforums: 89 207 (whole thread here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1039971598#post1039971598). This bug can also affect Linux and even Windows 8 installs in some specific but less common scenarios, it's a real nasty bug.

- VoodooHDA is a great way to get basic audio working on other ALC chips, or even the 898. It has a few issues which is why people prefer AppleHDA / HDAEnaber/ DSDT patches. Keep an eye on http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289812-applehda-patching-in-109-mavericks/page-5?do=findComment&comment=1930410 and other threads for improved AppleHDA ALC 898 solutions as well as possible ALC 892 or 1150 solutions.

- A ton of extra info (and most of my references) on Haswell Hackintosh can be found in the Gigabyte Z87-D3HP thread here http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/289729-success-gigabyte-z87-d3hp-first-haswell-hackintosh/

What can you do to help?

- Please report back to this thread if you hear of any useful DSDT/SSDT/SMBIOS.plist edits to improve power management or remove the need for HDAEnabler/patched AppleHDA!

Please let me know if I missed anything or if you have problems with your Z87X-UD3H. 

------------UPDATE LOG----------------

2013-07-07 Initial release with Z87UD3H files v1.1 zip (credit: hnak for AppleIntelE1000E core, gaspimp for AppleIntelE1000E 2.4.14 merge/10.9 build, netkas for FakeSMC, Toleda for AppleHDA+HDAEnabler1)

2013-07-07 Added Optional AICPUPM Debug Info kext to Z87UD3H files v1.2 zip (credit: pikeralpha)

2013-07-07 Bundled Chameleon, Chameleon Wizard, HWMonitor, Z87XUD3H BIOS F6L in Z87UD3H files v1.3 zip (credit: Chameleon Project for chameleon, kozlek for HWMonitor, janek202 for Chamelon Wizard, Gigabyte for F6L BIOS)

2013-09-08 Fixed files download link. DO NOT USE BETA BIOS F6L ANYMORE. LATEST F7 BIOS FROM GIGABYTE WORKS GREAT.

Z87XUD3H Files v1.3 DOWNLOAD: https://mega.co.nz/#!rRB0gQqb!X8KGSFeUkOporO7u34zpOUyk2tl2UpMULfgiMedll6g

SHA1 Signature (shasum filename): 38dd5c9efe049b50b273620d5004eca6ccd35f6c  Z87XUD3H files v1.3.zip
  • Like 7

On board Intel HD4600 Graphics works. Just add this to you DSDT:

Device (IGPU)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x00, 0x00, 0x26, 0x0C
                            }, 
                            "hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

or Inject AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x0c260000 in whatever manner you wish.

Also you can patch AppleintelFrameBufferAzul.kext for your correct VRam and FsStolenmemsize. Thanks to PikeAlpha for that info!!

Oh and if you have trouble with booting hangs make sure you try different npci=0xXXXX values..

The only .Kext this board needs is FakeSMC to boot.
  • Like 5

:thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:  :thumbsup_anim:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/de8acllrtcnh1r7/DSDT.aml%202.zip

On board Intel HD4600 Graphics works. Just add this to you DSDT:

Device (IGPU)
            {
                Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x04)
                        {
                            "AAPL,ig-platform-id", 
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x00, 0x00, 0x26, 0x0C
                            }, 
                            "hda-gfx", 
                            Buffer (0x0A)
                            {
                                "onboard-1"
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }
            }

or Inject AAPL,ig-platform-id 0x0c260000 in whatever manner you wish.

Also you can patch AppleintelFrameBufferAzul.kext for your correct VRam and FsStolenmemsize. Thanks to PikeAlpha for that info!!

Oh and if you have trouble with booting hangs make sure you try different npci=0xXXXX values..

The only .Kext this board needs is FakeSMC to boot.

Thank so Good job

%25E0%25B8%2588%25E0%25B8%25B1%25E0%25B8

OSX 10.8.5 bata is available as well.
But the lack of sound.
Wait programmer before
Screen+Shot+2556-07-08+at+8.27.57+AM.png
  • Like 1

gaspimp 

how many p-states your AICPMInfo reported? 

i've tried using iMac 14,1 smbios as well ( no valid serial ids of course but i figured out some people have 'em already)

so far no truly working Power Management , let's hope those new Haswell Product Lines from Apple will come out soon enough

• Like 1

gaspimp 

how many p-states your AICPMInfo reported? 

i've tried using iMac 14,1 smbios as well ( no valid serial ids of course but i figured out some people have 'em already)

so far no truly working Power Management , let's hope those new Haswell Product Lines from Apple will come out soon enough

I think I had 6 or so? I don't think anyone has it fully working, especially when you consider that the lowest P-State is 800mhz (and it should be much lower). I'm sure this will be corrected once the Haswell iMacs or Mac Pro come out.

Hello guys,

thank you gaspimp especial for sharing your used bios setting.

I worked me trough your guide on monday and had success, too.

But for me audio and iMessage still don't work,

but as a mackintosh newbie I can life with this for the moment.

Edited by damuellen

I have the UD5H which seems to have the same Realtek ALC898 chipset yet can't get this to work. Followed your setup word for word. Wonder if something's different or if in my haste I over looked something. Anyways, thanks for this post! Everything up and running thus far short of sound.

Thank so Good job

OpenGL: 26.74 fps

An opportunity, your OpenGL performance is only only 1 point higher than my HD4000; should be 10 points higher.  Likely, no AGPM.  HD5000 PM is working in the Beta releases.  Two choices, enable Haswell PM with macbookair6,1 and a PikeRAlpha ssdt or edit AGPM with the IGPU plist from macbookair6,1 board-id to the sysdef/board-id you are using.  

• Like 1

An opportunity, your OpenGL performance is only only 1 point higher than my HD4000; should be 10 points higher.  Likely, no AGPM.  HD5000 PM is working in the Beta releases.  Two choices, enable Haswell PM with macbookair6,1 and a PikeRAlpha ssdt or edit AGPM with the IGPU plist from macbookair6,1 board-id to the sysdef/board-id you are using.  

Thanks for the recommendation.
I gradually eased away.
I need to learn it. It was like a child just learning to walk.
If you have any suggestions to help me with anything.
Thanks here as well. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I have the UD5H which seems to have the same Realtek ALC898 chipset yet can't get this to work. Followed your setup word for word. Wonder if something's different or if in my haste I over looked something. Anyways, thanks for this post! Everything up and running thus far short of sound.

It is quite possible that the UD5H uses a different pin layout than the UD3H. Can you try VoodooHDA 2.8.4 (google for it, it's very common) and see if that works?

• Like 1

hello toleda

IMac 13.2, I have tried to increase the strength 28.47fps 10.8.5F17
It? Try it with a Macbook Pro 6.1 strength reduced to just try 25.21fps 10.9 DP3
The iMac 12.2 26.47fps 10.9 DP2
This question will have to be made ​​stronger.
Thank you. :wub:  :wub: 
Screen+Shot+2556-07-12+at+4.06.50+AM.png

hello toleda

IMac 13.2, I have tried to increase the strength 28.47fps 10.8.5F17
It? Try it with a Macbook Pro 6.1 strength reduced to just try 25.21fps 10.9 DP3
The iMac 12.2 26.47fps 10.9 DP2

iMac13 is HD4000, iMac12 is HD3000 and macbookpro6 HD Graphics, none support HD5000.

Use a Haswell sysdef, i.e., macbookair6,1/Board-ID is Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF.  Find that Board-ID in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist/.../AGPM/Machines/Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF/IGPU.  If you want to use AGPM/Mac13,2 remove what is there, paste macbookair6,1/IGPU and rename to GFX0. Install and restart.  In IOReg, look for AGPM attached to GFX0/AppleIntelFramebuffer/AGPM. If you see Heuristic-ID=2, you have HD5000 PM.

Edit 7/12/13, correct Board-ID

• Like 1

It is quite possible that the UD5H uses a different pin layout than the UD3H. Can you try VoodooHDA 2.8.4 (google for it, it's very common) and see if that works?

I was able to get sound working using VoodooHDA, I'm not quite sure on the build # I used though. I was flipping through threads and to be honest It may have been a post from you in another thread that I downloaded it from. Ended up with just a VoodooHDA.kext file, no pane or anything, just popped it into kext util, restarted and viola. Only thing I'm noticing is I get a feedback from my mic and have to mute it on my Mackie Mixer.  I've noticed, I'm not sure if it's the same with the UD3H, It has a realtek chip but in windows the UD5H also installs Creative software which I'm assuming does some sort of emulation? A bit ignorant with all this so forgive me for sounding it.

Uninstalled VoodooHDA tried your method once more. This time it worked. Thanks again :)

• Like 1

iMac13 is HD4000, iMac12 is HD3000 and macbookpro6 HD Graphics, none support HD5000.

Use a Haswell sysdef, i.e., macbookair6,1/Board-ID is C17KTAM5F5N7.  Find that Board-ID in AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist/.../AGPM/Machines/C17KTAM5F5N7/IGPU.  If you want to use AGPM/Mac13,2 remove what is there, paste macbookair6,1/IGPU and rename to GFX0. Install and restart.  In IOReg, look for AGPM attached to GFX0/AppleIntelFramebuffer/AGPM. If you see Heuristic-ID=2, you have HD5000 PM.

hello hi toleda.
I find I can not find it.
Not have afforded this C17KTAM5F5N7 obtained from.
Help me.
Thank you.

Not have afforded this C17KTAM5F5N7 obtained from.

My mistake, post edited.
From 10.8.5 or 10.9/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist/IOKitPersonalities/AGPM/Machines/Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF/IGPU
  • Like 1

My mistake, post edited.
From 10.8.5 or 10.9/AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext/Contents/Info.plist/IOKitPersonalities/AGPM/Machines/Mac-35C1E88140C3E6CF/IGPU

Yes, sir.
I use the 2 main solutions to the 10.8.5.
Ask you to see the messages I send it to me.
Help me with a solution to combat Nagpur.
Thank you.

SUCCESS

After several hours and many cups of tea - 10.9 DP3 Running Core i7 4770, GeForce GTS 250

You need to disable VT-d, to avoid many SMC errors.

Hot plug turned off on all ports for faster boot.

Reached installer with -v -x

Installed on Plextor SSD 120Gb

First boot with: -v -x

Then update to DP2 -> DP3.

Install all kext from gaspimp's archive.

For working audio i install VoodooHDA (VoodooHDA-v2.8.4.pkg), then i replace VoodooHDA.kext with one i attached.

Safe mode can be reached with: -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Normal boot with: -f GraphicsEnabler=Yes

Everything works fine.

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

Edited by Swiftie
  • Like 1