[Success] Gigabyte Z87-D3HP -- first Haswell hackintosh?

345 posts in this topic

EDIT

DO NOT DOWNLOAD AND USE ANY BOOTLOADERS IN THIS THREAD. USE THE DOWNLOADS SECTION FROM NOW ON AS THERE IS A COMPATIBLE BOOTLOADER. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS

Using myHack I was able to install Mavericks.

Unfortunately I cannot really use it.

Although I have installed it and got it running, for some strange reason my computer timer goes nuts.

The timer goes twice as fast. What does this mean? This means that instead of the 60 second automatic logout, it was 30 seconds and you could see the timer counting down from 60 at twice the speed.

Update:

Chameleon cannot fix my busratio automatically. This is beyond my expertise, so I guess I have to wait until someone adds Haswell support in the bootloader

Edit:

Even when I input the correct Busratio (34) it still is giving me the same problem

Bus ratio problem here on a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H. So close to having this working...

Any thoughts on the bus ratio / fast timer tick problem?

So far it looks like I've got some functional power management (sleep works), USB 3.0, Intel SATA 6gbps/AHCI, and Geforce GTX 670 support. Going to try messing around with audio and network. 

I have networking using a Marvell 88E8053 1x card but I'm holding out on an updated AppleIntelE1000E.kext for the i217V chipset. From the looks of the ifixit teardown, Apple is using a broadcom 5700 chipset on the new MBA. No luck for a native i217V driver yet.

This timer issue, is it really a major annoyance, rendering the system unusable, or you guys can live with it for a while until a fix comes up? Again, try with Clover UEFI.

The timer issue makes audio play super fast (I'm testing with USB audio) and prevents you from typing in a shell (keystrokes repeat like crazy). It also causes all mouse clicks to act as hold-clicks making it impossible to double-click. I'm getting around most of it by using SSH and clever keyboard shortcuts. Will try Clover UEFI shortly.

EDIT: A few discoveries:

-Loading AppleIntelE1000E.kext causes a hang and will prevent booting if you put it in /Extra/Extensions

-Cannot load legacy AppleHDA.kext - gives a bunch of symbol errors

-Still require -f to boot even after running kext utility. Is there a special 10.9 command for rebuilding caches?

-Cannot load VoodooHDA - outputs something like can't open PCI device to the kernel logs

-Clover UEFI can boot mach_kernel with the aptio fix drv. Working on kexts and smbios now to see if I can actually get it to boot into the OS. So far either hangs or looks like it is working and right after the kernel prints [ PCI Configuration Begin ] it reboots

• Like 1

I also found this one (warning, this is setup for two AMD graphics cards):

model-id: MacPro6,1

board-id: Mac-F60DEB81FF30ACF6

p.s. The first Haswell hackintosh was setup by me ;)

Would loading these values into the SMBIOS fix the timer issue? Are you also having the fast timer ticks problem with your hackintosh?

guys just use 10.8.4 it's haswell really it's been so since release and use clover v2 it works best found it out 2 weeks ago with the test 4770k and board i was sent also have someone maybe rewrite the boot file to fix the issues

• Like 1

Would loading these values into the SMBIOS fix the timer issue? Are you also having the fast timer ticks problem with your hackintosh?

No problem here with RevoBoot – which in my view is still the only boot loader with full Haswell support.

Note: I recently asked the Clover developers to add a few lines for (preliminary) Haswell CPU support, but there is much more going on under the hood.

No problem here with RevoBoot – which in my view is still the only boot loader with full Haswell support.

Note: I recently asked the Clover developers to add a few lines for (preliminary) Haswell CPU support, but there is much more going on under the hood.

There isnt much info about RevoBoot.

Looks like it was a Sandy Bridge Lion project.

Thanks for this awesome code Pike. I got RevoBoot up and running (though I'm sure there was many valuable config steps I left out). The timer issue is gone! Now I just need to figure out the Realtek ALC898 audio DSDT edits...

I got VoodooHDA kind-of working in lieu of ALC898 DSDT edits but the quality is terrible. I'm going to focus on figuring out how to get AppleHDA + DSDT edits working.

• Like 2

So I'm going to take a break for a few days on this. Couldn't get any ALC898 injectors or DSDT working - very likely it's something I'm doing wrong, probably due to my lack of experience with RevoBoot...I'm not even sure if my DSDT tweaks were loaded.

I do have some good news though! I dug up an old version of VoodooHDA from my old build and it works pretty well, no quality / noise issues so far. Night and day compared to the latest 2.8.4 build which had all sorts of noise and static. I'm using S/PDIF though so I can't vouch for analog outputs. I've attached it in case anyone wants to try it. Make sure to move AppleHDA in /S/L/E somewhere safe before using it - you can't run both at the same time with this board. 

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

post-365515-0-91978500-1371262399_thumb.png

So I'm going to take a break for a few days on this. Couldn't get any ALC898 injectors or DSDT working - very likely it's something I'm doing wrong, probably due to my lack of experience with RevoBoot...I'm not even sure if my DSDT tweaks were loaded.

I do have some good news though! I dug up an old version of VoodooHDA from my old build and it works pretty well, no quality / noise issues so far. Night and day compared to the latest 2.8.4 build which had all sorts of noise and static. I'm using S/PDIF though so I can't vouch for analog outputs. I've attached it in case anyone wants to try it. Make sure to move AppleHDA in /S/L/E somewhere safe before using it - you can't run both at the same time with this board. 

I am interested in a binary release of RevoBoot. Any care to share?

Also, does your monitor have HDMI? You could try audio via that way

I've attached my binary boot file for RevoBoot in a zip. I had some difficulty finding a good walk-through on RevoBoot, but here's what I did:

I installed Chameleon, and then I replaced its boot file at the root of my Mavericks install with the RevoBoot boot file. I also added -v as a kernel arg at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist since RevoBoot is fairly barebones and doesn't have a menu. You also need to have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and FakeSMC.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions for this to work. I don't believe /Extra/Extensions works with RevoBoot so I had a few other kexts like VoodooHDA and a Marvell Yukon injector that I also had to put in /System/Library/Extensions.

Note: these instructions may be wrong / inaccurate and RevoBoot might offer a better way to handle kernel args and extensions, but this works just fine for me. As I learn more about it I intend to clean up my install.

As for audio, I'd highly recommend the legacy VoodooHDA I added in my previous post. I'll try HDMI audio when I get a chance, but I think this will do. I'm not too eager to get AppleHDA injectors working if this continues to work fine.

boot.zip

• Like 3

Hey, gaspimp and q64ceo!

Thank you guys for testing this new hardware, and congratulations for the results! Could i ask you a little favor? Test please if the HD4600 integrated Intel graphics of your CPUs are fully supported? 

All the best!

I've attached my binary boot file for RevoBoot in a zip. I had some difficulty finding a good walk-through on RevoBoot, but here's what I did:

I installed Chameleon, and then I replaced its boot file at the root of my Mavericks install with the RevoBoot boot file. I also added -v as a kernel arg at /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist since RevoBoot is fairly barebones and doesn't have a menu. You also need to have NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and FakeSMC.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions for this to work. I don't believe /Extra/Extensions works with RevoBoot so I had a few other kexts like VoodooHDA and a Marvell Yukon injector that I also had to put in /System/Library/Extensions.

Note: these instructions may be wrong / inaccurate and RevoBoot might offer a better way to handle kernel args and extensions, but this works just fine for me. As I learn more about it I intend to clean up my install.

As for audio, I'd highly recommend the legacy VoodooHDA I added in my previous post. I'll try HDMI audio when I get a chance, but I think this will do. I'm not too eager to get AppleHDA injectors working if this continues to work fine.

It worked great and I {censored} love you. Timer issue now gone.

Problem is now that RevoBoot does not work with my GTX 660 making me -x everytime I boot. I think this has to do with the bootloader. RevoBoot was active in 2011, well before the 600 series was introduced. 

Oh well, much better than I was before :D

Hey, gaspimp and q64ceo!

Thank you guys for testing this new hardware, and congratulations for the results! Could i ask you a little favor? Test please if the HD4600 integrated Intel graphics of your CPUs are fully supported? 

All the best!

Sounds like a good project for tomorrow

• Like 1

Guys,

RevoBoot is just my bootloader of choice. Something I use to get stuff done. To experiment with. But since I don't have time for support... I was hoping that other developers use my work for Haswell/Mavericks support, so that they can include it in the boot loader of your choice. It's not about me getting people aboard. I just use it myself and share my source code. Like any other open source developer.

By the way. RevoBoot was started by my father (called Revolution back in the days) in the Asus P5K PRO era but Sam took over and now it is my turn - I have a younger brother waiting to take over my work when I go on my honeymoon trip.

And no. RevoBoot will not search/read /Extra/Extensions for kexts. It does read /Library/Extensions, which is new requirement for Mavericks by the way. It will also not patch graphics cards, because we want you to set device-properties either from (example): /Extra/EFI/Macmini71.bin (which is what I am using right now) or from ACPI tables.

p.s. You need to figure out/set AAPL,ig-platform-id for the HDnn00/Iris/Iris Pro

I hope this help.

Edit: Fixed a typo AAPL,ig-product-id -> AAPL,ig-platform-id

I have done some digging, based on the Pike R. Alpha info about Ids, and here is what I came up with (there might be errors...):

platform-Id
00 00 06 04	//Intel Haswell Mobile (GT1)		
00 00 16 04	//Intel Haswell Mobile (GT2)		
00 00 26 04	//Intel Haswell Mobile (GT3)		
00 00 16 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT2)		
00 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
00 00 26 0D	//Intel Haswell CRW Mobile (GT3) - ???		
00 00 26 0C	//Intel Haswell SDV Mobile (GT3) - Software Development Vehicle		
00 00 16 0C	//Intel Haswell SDV Mobile HD 4600 (GT2) - Software Development Vehicle		
00 00 06 0C	//Intel Haswell SDV Mobile (GT1) - Software Development Vehicle		
00 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
	00 03 03 03 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	
1@	00 00 10 00 02 00 00 00 30 00 00 00		
2@	01 05 12 00 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 00		
3@	02 04 12 00 00 08 00 00 82 00 00 00 		

03 00 22 0D	//8086 Intel Haswell CRW Desktop (GT3) - ???		
	00 03 03 03 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	
1@	01 05 12 00 00 04 00 00 87 00 00 00		
2@	02 04 14 00 00 04 00 00 87 00 00 00 		
3@	03 06 10 00 00 04 00 00 11 00 00 00		

06 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
05 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
	01 03 03 03	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	
2@	01 05 12 00 00 04 00 00 87 00 00 00 		
3@	02 04 12 00 00 04 00 00 87 00 00 00		

08 00 2E 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT2+)		
08 00 26 0A	//Intel Haswell ULT Mobile (GT3)		
	01 03 03 03 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	
2@	01 05 12 00 00 04 00 00 07 01 00 00 		
3@	02 04 14 00 00 0C 00 00 07 01 00 00		

02 00 16 04	//Intel Haswell Mobile (GT2)		
	00 01 01 01 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	

04 00 12 04	//Intel Haswell Desktop (GT2) - empty		
	00 00 00 00 	//??, ports, pipes, FBmem	

I do not have Haswell, but this might help someone get started...

PS: the desktop GT2 (HD4600), does not seem to be supported at the time being, or better said, it appears it's not in Apples short future plans.