OS X 10.9 myHack USB Installer Beta

224 posts in this topic

It's because you're using a TV most likely. A quick way to check if you have QE/CI would be to right click an app in the dock while a window is behind it and see if it's blurred like this:

It has nothing to do with the TV but the fact he has a unsupported GPU. 

FUSION DRIVE

this is not a how to, but just a mention that it is easily doable on mavericks and using myhack in the process , for those wanting a fusion drive with very little effort a few hard drive to spare you can do it.

after installing a clean Maverick with all the updates to DP8 (latest currently) using myhack on a temporary OSX drive

also used for the setup of a fusion drive (128SSD with a 160GB standard hard drive)

It all worked perfectly well, so for people interested, you can safely do it, and pretty strait forward.

instead of the more common carbon copy cloner technic I saw, I instead made an image of that clean Maveric install (from a different install) and used that to restore it onto the created fusion drive.

I followed a tutorial aimed for Mountain lion (first one on google), but did it all in Mavericks DP8. 

I'm on a ga-Z77-ud3h

cheers

• Like 1

FUSION DRIVE

this is not a how to, but just a mention that it is easily doable on mavericks and using myhack in the process , for those wanting a fusion drive with very little effort a few hard drive to spare you can do it.

after installing a clean Maverick with all the updates to DP8 (latest currently) using myhack on a temporary OSX drive

also used for the setup of a fusion drive (128SSD with a 160GB standard hard drive)

It all worked perfectly well, so for people interested, you can safely do it, and pretty strait forward.

instead of the more common carbon copy cloner technic I saw, I instead made an image of that clean Maveric install (from a different install) and used that to restore it onto the created fusion drive.

I followed a tutorial aimed for Mountain lion (first one on google), but did it all in Mavericks DP8. 

I'm on a ga-Z77-ud3h

cheers

I have never heard of a fusion drive before, but now I am aware of it by my best friend, google.

Thanks for the information as I believe it will be helpful to members.

it is very simple to see if you have graphic acceleration or not. If your menubar is semi-transparent by default you have graphic acceleration.

My menubar is semi-transparent, but I am absolutely certain that I do not have graphics acceleration.

Hi guys. I'm currently running OSX 10.8.5 on my PC and I tried updating to 10.9 GM last night. However, the installer won't let me install to the osx partition because it's MBR and not GUID. Is there any way I can update without repartitioning my hdd?

Try the MBR patch for Mavericks ! (see the downloads section)

OK, please help me here because I tried everything and the damn thing won't let me install. I have the dmg file, but running the app from that gives me a message that I should run it from a writable volume (this I knew), so I copied the app from the dmg to a osx volume (not the one where ML is installed). Now, what exactly IS the target volume for the mbr patch?! The volume where I copied the installer or the one where ML is installed?? Tried running the patch on both, then running the Mavericks installer, no good, still won't let me select a volume for installation...

Hi,

I can't boot with myHack, simply it gives a bunch of fast text and its suddenly reboot the computer. I tried to boot with -v PciRoot=1, and with GraphicsEnabler=No, but the same issue here.

My system:

Intel Core i7-4770k

ASUS Z87-PRO with AHCI enabled
8GB of memory
Intel HD4600 Integrated Graphic

Just to add, I didn't patched the BIOS, I'm afraid bricking it, is it must to do? and is it safe?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks,

Hi,

I can't boot with myHack, simply it gives a bunch of fast text and its suddenly reboot the computer. I tried to boot with -v PciRoot=1, and with GraphicsEnabler=No, but the same issue here.

My system:

Intel Core i7-4770k

8GB of memory

Just to add, I didn't patched the BIOS, I'm afraid bricking it, is it must to do? and is it safe?

Thanks,

Bad usb. Remake the drive. 

I just used myHack to update from ML to Mavericks successfully. Thank you for making the tool available!

A couple of notes:

• As others have noticed, while making the USB drive the progress indicator goes over 100%. Not a big deal, of course.
  • My OS X install stopped when the bar became full. It still said "Time remaining 28 minutes". I went to the toolbar on top and used the Fix it option of myHack (I guess it just repaired permissions) and the OS X install was able to continue.
  • When given a choice between a generic Extra and providing my own Extra I wanted to provide my own - the readme said it's a good option if I already have a good system running (which I do). myHack gave me a browsing window and, I'm embarrassed to say, at that point I didn't know what to do. There is an Extra folder in my root but it just has Chameleon theme files and an smbios plist, no kexts there. I figured myHack was expecting the kexts I had in my S/L/E but there are so many there I didn't know which ones to copy from there to the Extra (maybe myHack could offer some guidance in these situations?). So I cancelled and went with generic instead. Thankfully everything works.

Bad usb. Remake the drive. 

I have tried to remake the installer, but still the same. I tried to record a video and see where it reaches before reboot, it seems like just rebooting when reach those lines:

QGBzg5B.jpg?1

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/MacOS/webdav_fs] 4096 bytes.
Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/System/Library/Extensions/webdav_fs.kext/Contents/MacOS/webdav_fs] 44336 bytes.

After couple searches, I figure out that after those lines seems that line will come:

Starting Darwin x86_64

It may be here the problem. So, is there any method on how to fix this? .. I see some who had same issue in here & here, I'm not sure if that maybe a BIOS problem which need to be patched or something, I just brought that system, I don't won't to brick it!, also, I checked PMPatch, but I am not sure how to do it.

UPDATE: after patching the BIOS, now its working, but I can't get the SSD detected in the installer, I only get my HDD (not always - sometime its not showing either) and it said its in NTFS so can't install. Actually, I am having Windows 8 on my SSD, and I have made an empty partition for installing Mavericks on it. AHCI is enabled as I said, Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,

OK, please help me here because I tried everything and the damn thing won't let me install. I have the dmg file, but running the app from that gives me a message that I should run it from a writable volume (this I knew), so I copied the app from the dmg to a osx volume (not the one where ML is installed). Now, what exactly IS the target volume for the mbr patch?! The volume where I copied the installer or the one where ML is installed?? Tried running the patch on both, then running the Mavericks installer, no good, still won't let me select a volume for installation...

Anyone? Please? :(

Hi,

My system:

Intel Core i7-4770k

8GB of memory

Thanks,

Had the same problem on a fresh install.  I reinstalled with the latest version of chameleon I could find and the situation went away.

If you are trying to dual-boot which it seems you are, I thought it would be best to do the opposite.  If you installed Windows 8 on that drive first, did you at least make sure your Mavericks partition was formatted as Fat32 yet?  If you want larger Fat32 partitions, you will need to obtain Fat32Formatter for Windows and use it.  Once you reformatted that partition and rebooted your installer, it should pop up in Disk Utility.  The reason you would want to format your Mavericks partition first is because you would ensure it is prepared to become a valid prior to installer reboot.  Otherwise, either something got in the way of your installer kexts where your drive never came up, or you might have a bad version of your installer and may need to rebuild it.

My attempt to set up dual-boot was as simple as installing Mac first (not installing any bootloaders here), Windows second, and installing Chameleon for Windows so that Windows can use Avlgo to run Chameleon and no boot data between both of my partitions become invalid or corrupted.  I haven't tried Avlgo for Clover yet.

After patching the BIOS, now its working, but I can't get the SSD detected in the installer, I only get my HDD (not always - sometime its not showing either) and it said its in NTFS so can't install. Actually, I am having Windows 8 on my SSD, and I have made an empty partition for installing Mavericks on it. AHCI is enabled...

Hello!

I have a weird problem, and I can't wrap my head around it completely. I have seen others talking about it, but no real solutions have been found.

Using myhack, or just setting up a USB manually does not make a difference.

The problem:

When booting from whatever bootloader (I tried latest Chameleon, Chimera and Clover), as soon as it finishes loading drivers it instantly reboots.

No kernel panics or error messages. This happens with both 10.8.5 and 10.9.

However, when using 10.8.4 with a custom kernel (that has Haswell support and a fix for lapic kernel panic added), I can boot and install just fine.

Link to patched kernel: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/40-10-8-4-haswell-ivy-bridge-e-lapic-fix-kernel/

10.8.5 and 10.9 should have Haswell support, so that shouldn't explain why this happens. Patching the 10.9 kernel with the lapic fix didn't seem to do anything either.

After analysing the differences he made to that kernel, I think it's safe to conclude that it enables OSX to boot even with an unknown CPU.

Could that mean, that even though my CPU is Haswell, it still isn't supported? The model I am talking about is the Intel 4700HQ.

How should I go about fixing this?

I have stumbled at the very beginning. I have created the USB installer, but booting from it just gives me the mesage:

boot0:GPT

boot0:done

And it continues to boot my Windows 8. 

I am trying to install in a second HDD. 

My computer is an Avell B155 (a Clevo something rebranded)  Haswell 2.4Ghz quad-core + Intel Graphics 4600 + Geforce 750M 2GB, 8GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSHD

I tried to use my own extra extensions directoy but with no success, it just tells me an error has occured at the end of the installation process.

I do not think that all of the extensions directory should be selected (cause some kexts are not compatible with 10.9.0) so how do you do ?

Anyway, with the "classic" extensions, it hangs at the reboot question (at the end of the installation process) and if I go on the upper menu to reset, it restarts but hangs  after rebooting .... am I the only one concern ?