[GUIDE] 1st Generation Intel HD Graphics QE/CI

GhostRaider

2,093 posts in this topic

@shivaay1234

no, rehabman's IntelBacklight.kext has been broken here since High Sierra, but I have 100% brightness. I never tried Bergdesign.

@trupetiago

Did you see? My post is from last year.

Right, first beta 10.15 still worked here.

Latest releases 10.15.6 no longer works here. No install possible.

I recommend macOS 10.14.6 Mojave, works perfectly here.

For my Medion E7216 with i3 380M 1.GEN Intelgraphics Duallink 1600x900:

EFI.zip

my_Intel_patched_Kext_for_SLE.zip

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:39 PM, MacPeet said:

@shivaay1234

no, rehabman's IntelBacklight.kext has been broken here since High Sierra, but I have 100% brightness. I never tried Bergdesign.

@trupetiago

Did you see? My post is from last year.

Right, first beta 10.15 still worked here.

Latest releases 10.15.6 no longer works here. No install possible.

I recommend macOS 10.14.6 Mojave, works perfectly here.

For my Medion E7216 with i3 380M 1.GEN Intelgraphics Duallink 1600x900:

EFI.zip

my_Intel_patched_Kext_for_SLE.zip

I've tried hack on 1st gen intel once, but i couldn't make my sleep working no matter how much i've tried. Could you ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 12:56 PM, MacPeet said:

@Rikchell

No, I have not tried.
At the moment there are too many problems with Kext installation in BigSur.

You said that Mojave worked fine for you. Are you still using it ? im really thinking about making a hack on my 1 gen, but to be honest the fact that it don't have suspension is holding me back.

Good Old Day! :D

Just installed latest macOS Catalina 10.15.6 on Toshiba Satellite L640 with Intel HD 1st Gen (Arrandale):

1. Using dosdude's Catalina Patcher app for creating Bootable USB Installer plus Post Install (rolling back deprecated Graphics kexts, OpenGL frameworks, Platform patch, etc) for unsupported mach << needs 2 x USB Boots for OS Install and then Post-Install

2. config.plist - Devices - FakeID - IntelGfx=0x12345678 for Pre-Install

3. To achieve QE/CI or Graphics Acceleration with WEG (+Lilu) installed, add Properties for Graphics on config.plist - Devices (plz refer to the manual, or see my screenshot & sample below. Thanks to GoldFish64). Remove IntelGfx FakeID on this case

4. For Native (ACPI) Brightness to works, patched DSDT is needed following old mnorthern's guide. Take a look attached DSDT below. For reference, find: LEVL, os-info, LGD018B, PNLF, _WAK. Also, replace DisplayServices.framework from 10.12.4 located on /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ and add Rehabman's IntelBacklight.kext v1.0.12 (attached) to \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other.

On my case, Display Brightness Slider is working (or Fn + Keys if remapped already) with no longer need BergDesign incompat 32-bit app. If you have better idea, then let me know.

#SomeHINTS:

- Platform patch is needed when using unsupported SMBios (eg. MBP6,x) under Catalina. For me, simply change to MBP10,1 BUT.. hey, there will be few issues with PowerManagement, USB Ports, etc (though I've manually fixed them via ACPI) so.., DWYOR!

- Use only one PNLF method, choose between Clover Patch, or ACPI (DSDT / SSDT)

- Graphics glitch on some apps is known issue with Legacy OpenGL / Metal incapable Graphics under Catalina (and Mojave), but thanks to @AsentientBot for bringing QE/CI back to unsupported mach anyway (Oops, I have no idea with BigSur, my Beta1 download has not finished yet once later Beta was seeded #LOL)

Good luck!

macOS-Catalina-10.15.6-01.jpg

macOS-Catalina-10.15.6-02.jpg

config_devices_properties.plist.zip

DSDT_Sample_Only.aml.zip

DisplayServices.framework_10.12.4.zip

IntelBacklight.kext_v1.0.12.zip

Edited by Badruzeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Good Old Day! :D

Just installed latest macOS Catalina 10.15.6 on Toshiba Satellite L640 with Intel HD 1st Gen (Arrandale):

1. Using dosdude's Catalina Patcher app for creating Bootable USB Installer plus Post Install (rolling back deprecated Graphics kexts, OpenGL frameworks, Platform patch, etc) for unsupported mach << needs 2 x USB Boots for OS Install and then Post-Install

2. config.plist - Devices - FakeID - IntelGfx=0x12345678 for Pre-Install

3. With WEG (+Lilu) installed, add Properties for Graphics on config.plist - Devices (plz refer to the manual, or see my screenshot & sample below. Thanks to GoldFish64). Remove IntelGfx FakeID on this case

4. For Native (ACPI) Brightness to works, patched DSDT is needed following old mnorthem's guide. Take a look attached DSDT below. For reference, find: LEVL, os-info, LGD018B, PNLF, _WAK. Also, replace DisplayServices.framework from 10.12.4 located on /S*/L*/PrivateFrameworks/ and add Rehabman's IntelBacklight.kext v1.0.12 (attached) to \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other.

On my case, Display Brightness Slider is working (or Fn + Keys if remapped already) with no longer need BergDesign incompat 32-bit app. If you have better idea, then let me know.

#SomeHINTS:

- Platform patch is needed when using unsupported SMBios (eg. MBP6,x) under Catalina. For me, simply change to MBP10,1 BUT.. hey, there will be few issues with PowerManagement, USB Ports, etc (though I've manually fixed them via ACPI) so.., DWYOR!

- Use only one PNLF method, choose between Clover Patch, or ACPI (DSDT / SSDT)

- Graphics glitch on some apps is known issue with Legacy OpenGL / Metal incapable Graphics under Catalina (and Mojave), but thanks to @AsentientBot for bringing QE/CI back to unsupported mach anyway (Oops, I have no idea with BigSur, my Beta1 download has not finished yet once later Beta was seeded #LOL)

Good luck!

macOS-Catalina-10.15.6-01.jpg

macOS-Catalina-10.15.6-02.jpg

config_devices_properties.plist.zip

DSDT_Sample_Only.aml.zip

DisplayServices.framework_10.12.4.zip

IntelBacklight.kext_v1.0.12.zip

Amazing dude, by seeing your pics it almoust brought me back to hack. But this is too difficult to make working. Congratz. Let me know if works on Big Sur.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nijhawank said:

@Badruzeus what do you do with DisplayServices_framework archive that you attached? Doesn’t the dosdude1 patcher already takes care of patching any required frameworks when you install with a USB prepared with it?

No, DisplayServices.framework is not patched by dosdude1. Or, there's no issue with Brightness for using with Unsupported (Real) Mac devices under Catalina.

Edited by Badruzeus

10 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Plz refer to Point 4 from my post above (Brightness issue)

If you don't mind answering me one thing. The Catalina is usable as a daily driver ? If you close the laptop it crashes ? I mean the suspend/hibernate works ? And a last thing, if i decide to make the same you did on my laptop, could you please provide me some help if i don't understand some part ? If you can't, no problem, hack takes a lot of time.

12 hours ago, Rikchell said:

If you don't mind answering me one thing. The Catalina is usable as a daily driver ? If you close the laptop it crashes ? I mean the suspend/hibernate works ? And a last thing, if i decide to make the same you did on my laptop, could you please provide me some help if i don't understand some part ? If you can't, no problem, hack takes a lot of time.

Daily use? Guessing no, but you may try installing it on separated partition / disk for testing purpose. :) 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

GFX Accelerations or QE/CI are enabled (Point No. 3)

I see you have some EDID values in the config list. Are those specific to your display? Mine does not have any EDID values when researched through Linux and Windows. That is the problem for me, I can make the acceleration work, but the screen turns blank. If I access through VNC it works.

2 hours ago, startergo said:

I see you have some EDID values in the config list. Are those specific to your display? Mine does not have any EDID values when researched through Linux and Windows. That is the problem for me, I can make the acceleration work, but the screen turns blank. If I access through VNC it works.

Yes, EDID is specific for each display model. Which macOS version are you using currently?

There're bunch of guides for dumping EDID through Linux. Under Windows, there's a small free software named "Monitor Asset Manager" (I got issue dumping EDID with RWEverything on recent win versions btw).

But plz note that display black screen issue is not always caused by EDID. On my case (Toshiba L640 / L645) there's Display Option on BIOS: Auto, and LCD only. If I choose Auto, I got blackscreen once logged into macOS. But switching to Internal LCD is OK.

Also refer to WhateverGreen guides (boot-args, etc) for blacksreen workarround. Thanks.

#EDIT: I just reboot w/o Custom EDID and I don't have blackscreen issue. Did you install WEG kext?

Edited by Badruzeus

17 hours ago, Badruzeus said:

Yes, EDID is specific for each display model. Which macOS version are you using currently?

There're bunch of guides for dumping EDID through Linux. Under Windows, there's a small free software named "Monitor Asset Manager" (I got issue dumping EDID with RWEverything on recent win versions btw).

But plz note that display black screen issue is not always caused by EDID. On my case (Toshiba L640 / L645) there's Display Option on BIOS: Auto, and LCD only. If I choose Auto, I got blackscreen once logged into macOS. But switching to Internal LCD is OK.

Also refer to WhateverGreen guides (boot-args, etc) for blacksreen workarround. Thanks.

#EDIT: I just reboot w/o Custom EDID and I don't have blackscreen issue. Did you install WEG kext?

Mine is actually white screen, not black.