Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

Hi tluck,

sorry for wasting your time. I will try to list all the step which i did this time.

First time
I run _install-hda.bash  without mapping the correct (dock version) symbolic to Platforms.xml.lib once the new system build done.  I didn't noticed the mistake i made at first time.

Second time 
the below steps are the second time I did. but it seem something goes wrong in RED (Aborting with AppleHDA NOT patched)
and it looks like it was already patched in the first time.

MacBook-Pro:HDA MAC$ rm Platforms.xml.zlib
MacBook-Pro:HDA MAC$ ln -s Platforms.xml.zlib.dock Platforms.xml.zlib 
MacBook-Pro:HDA MAC$ ls -la
total 104
drwxr-xr-x@ 10 MAC  staff    340 Nov  6 22:27 .
drwxr-xr-x@  8 MAC  staff    272 Jul 24 21:03 ..
-rw-r--r--@  1 MAC  staff   2946 Oct 13  2014 Info.plist
lrwxr-xr-x   1 MAC  staff     23 Nov  6 22:27 Platforms.xml.zlib -> Platforms.xml.zlib.dock
-rw-r--r--@  1 MAC  staff   [color=#ff0000]4782[/color] Feb 20  2014 Platforms.xml.zlib.dock
-rw-r--r--@  1 MAC  staff   4714 Oct 24  2014 Platforms.xml.zlib.nodock
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 MAC  staff    302 Nov 15  2014 _install-hda.bash
-rw-r--r--@  1 MAC  staff   1237 Oct  6  2013 layout12.xml.zlib
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 MAC  staff   4054 Nov 15  2014 patch-hda-codecs.pl
-rwxr-xr-x@  1 MAC  staff  14751 Nov 15  2014 patch-hda.pl
MacBook-Pro:HDA MAC$ sudo ./_install-hda.bash 
+ cp -p Info.plist /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents
+ cp -p Platforms.xml.zlib layout12.xml.zlib /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources
+ exec ./patch-hda.pl 14f1506e
OSX version 10.11.1 detected
Default target codec: 14f1506e
 detected.
Patching AppleHDA codec 11d4198b with 14f1506e
[color=#ff0000]No codec range comparisons require patching
Found no matching codec to patch.  AppleHDA may already be patched
Aborting with AppleHDA NOT patched
[/color]
MacBook-Pro:Resources MAC$ pwd
/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources
MacBook-Pro:Resources MAC$ sudo chown root:wheel Platforms.xml.zlib layout12.xml.zlib
MacBook-Pro:Resources MAC$ ls -la Platforms.xml.zlib layout12.xml.zlib
-rw-r--r--@ 1[color=#ff0000] root  wheel  4782[/color] Nov  6 22:34 Platforms.xml.zlib
-rw-r--r--@ 1 [color=#ff0000]root  wheel [/color] 1237 Nov  6 22:34 layout12.xml.zlib

MacBook-Pro:Contents MAC$ cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext/Contents
MacBook-Pro:Contents MAC$ chown root:wheel info.plist
MacBook-Pro:Contents MAC$ ls -la Info.plist
-rw-r--r--@ 1 root  wheel  2946 Oct 13  2014 Info.plist

then , there are some warning pop up and show.
System extension cannot be used "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Pluglns/AppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver.kext" was installed improperly. ....

System extension cannot be used "/System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext" was installed improperly. ....

I just ignore the warning message. and try to use the kext utility to rebuild the cache. but No dock audio option seen.

another step ,i add the product 8.1 in n EFI/CLOVER/config.plist  to make my external DELL monitor to work.

It looks like first time wrong HDA installation. and second time messed up every stuff completely.

so , Now ,I want to delete AppleHDA.kext and AppleHDA_20672.kext. and DO a fresh HDA installation. 

I can extract the original  AppleHDA.kext from the USB stick which included a whole OS X EI Captian. 

could you tell me how to do it now? do a fresh HDA installation ? 

huge  THANKS.

@punix -

well you are not wasting my time as much as yours.   sorry, i will remove the _install-hda script thing in the zip from the bundle - as it seems to confuse people if they are not carefully reading the guide. It is not needed... you just install the AppleHDA_20672.kext in /L/E and leave the standard AppleHDA.kext alone. 

so sure remove /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext and just reinstall OS X on top of your install. unless you know how to extract the kext from the dmg pkg files.

After installing _kext-install.bash and rebooting, OS X did't start. So I restored backed up kexts. Now it is working. But I still don't have sound. I tried lots of stuff: kext util, manual copying AppleHDA_20672.kext etc. Nothing worked. I have T420 1600x900 Intel HD 3000, and well in System Profiler I can see Intel HD Audio, but in System Preferences -> Sound -> Output: I see nothing.

Could anybody clarify how to correctly install sound drivers?

In Clover Configurator->Kernel and Kext Patches->KextsToPatch list I have this:

AppleHDA 8B19D411 6E50F114  (unchecked)

Maybe should I run kext install again and make some changes to KextsToPatch list?

@Qeeet

the proper way to install audio is to have unmodified original AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E

you should not have to modify the config.plist script - it is set to patch AppleHDA. and should not need to use Clover Configurator.

download the zip bundle and expand it.

cd to EFI/CLOVER/kexts

then install AppleHDA_20672.kext (and other kexts) in /L/E by running _kext-install.bash on the command line

the _kext-install.bash script will fix the permissions, fix symbolic links, and then rebuild kext caches.

wait for it to complete.

don't understand what backed up kexts you would restore? 

can can you run the _kext-install.bash tool and verify it completes and rebuilds caches? the output looks like this:

$ cd ~/Downloads/T420/EFI/CLOVER/kexts

$ ./_kext-install.bash 

OS is: 10.11.2

The target volume is: /

If target volume is not /, then start this script with the volume name as the script argument

Usage: ./_kext-install.bash "/Volume/Macintosh HD"

Installing kexts in /Library/Extensions

---------------- ACPIBatteryManager.kext ----------------

---------------- AppleHDA_20672.kext ----------------

---------------- FakeSMC.kext ----------------

---------------- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext ----------------

---------------- IntelBacklight.kext ----------------

---------------- IntelMausiEthernet.kext ----------------

---------------- VoodooPS2Controller.kext ----------------

---------------- BroadcomBluetooth_T420.kext ----------------

------------------------------------

Looking for obsolete kext AppleIntelE1000e.kext

Looking for obsolete kext ACPIBacklight.kext

Note: Previous/old kexts are here: /Extra/OSX-build/T420/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/../kexts-orig

Note: Obsolete/unused kexts are here: 

Sleeping for 20 seconds before rebuild of kext cache - wait … / locked; waiting for lock.

Lock acquired; proceeding.

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Mouse.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext VoodooPS2Controller.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelMausiEthernet.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext IntelBacklight.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext CPUSensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPISensors.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext FakeSMC.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext BroadcomBluetooth_T420.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67030 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA2A for kext AppleHDA_20672.kext

kext-dev-mode allowing invalid signature -67062 0xFFFFFFFFFFFEFA0A for kext ACPIBatteryManager.kext

… done!

• Like 1

@Burag 

1) download the latest zip from the guide and reinstall the pieces. (follow the guide on post install)

2) then download El Capitan to your HD and install it!

the custom kexts from step 1 are in /Library/Extensions and will not be bothered.

Thank you tluck, that setup indeed did the trick and everything is working fine after update :)

I've one, new question related to this:

AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext - [/b]inserts buffers to fix LCD brightness max level - now its the same brightness before and after sleep. Thanks to Timewalker75a (again!) And patch replaces the 4th port/buffer (DVI on dock) with VGA on left side. The 4 ports after patch are: LCD, DisplayPort on side, DisplayPort on dock, VGA on side. If you need DVI on the dock - then you can either not do this! Or replace the 3rd port (DP) if you want the VGA.

I'm using my T420 almost all the time docked and connected to 2x FHD 23" screens, so I'd prefer to have those outputs active: LVDS, integrated DP, dock DP and dock DVI (no VGA at all for me, yaay :P).

How can I revert part of your patch to get this setup to work? :)

Best regards,

Burag.

@Burag

easy way to not have the VGA patch - edit config.plist and replace string AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB with disable:AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB

@Qeeet

sure you can let it install the firmware in EFI - it will not affect anything other than let the installer feel good about being up to date.

• Like 1

Hey guys!

I'm using a T420s and just upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.1.

Unfortunately, the USB3 jack doesn't work, neither does sleep.

I've installed the kexts using _kext-install.bash.

Audio, Trackpad, Ethernet, Wifi (Broadcom), everything works fine and is running.

Just sleep and USB3 don't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

keyno

@Keyno

well I don't have T420s ... but if your USB3 is Intel based chipset, then you need a USB3 property injector. Rehabman's OS-X-USB-Inject-All is probably the best place to start. essentially you need to match the USB3 device name and define the port (s) not sure how many there are

sleep could be related to USB problems. but then there might be some _PRW methods that could be removed. I had to tweak the DSDT a bit for the T420 but it was bit easier without USB3... This aspect can be a bit tricky on El Capitan.

Hey tluck,

thank you for the quick reply.

I think, it's not an Intel based USB3 controller, perhaps it's rather an Renesas according to this website: http://www.driveridentifier.com/scan/renesas-electronics-usb-30-host-controller/download/2117718684/AF89CD970BEF44C99DA3791557CF8E16/PCI%5CVEN_1033%26DEV_0194%26REV_04

I've tried installing Rehabman's kext and patching the DSDT (renaming EHC1->EH01 and EHC2->EH02.) but had no luck. Maybe it's because it's maybe no Intel controller.

And yea, I think sleep doesn't work, because USB wakes him up. Mmh, maybe I'll just continue using Yosemite.

Have a nice day,

keyno

Hi))) Yesterday i instal new DW1510 (BCM4322HM8L) wi-fi module in my notebook. I flash modded bios and i works, but strange... In network preferences I got few additional "phantom" network interfaces. And in System Information  shows that this module is third party. And wi-fi led is not work. Wireless on/off toggle on right side works fine.

post-828455-0-81267700-1447872813_thumb.png

post-828455-0-28898600-1447872824_thumb.png

well if you want to start fresh, you can delete all the unwanted interfaces from the GUI and then remove this file

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

then reboot

if the network interfaces are not automatically there when you get back in,

the go to system pref/network

add ethernet (should be en0)

and WiFi (should be en1)

@tluck - I used your files for El Capitan in my X220 actually (somehow DSDT for T420 works in X220). But there is an small issue with wakeup. After I wake the system, the screen is not on right away. I have to hit a key to turn on the screen. Do you know a quick fix?