Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

I'm doing so many test with different types of setup and configurations that I've didn't noticed that... I mean sleep doesn't work as expected sometimes but I was always blaming something else than the DSDT. I guess I should look closer into it.

What UEFI Bios version you are at now? And can you write down the steps to reproduce the sleep problem.

Also I have hibernatemode disabled:

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage

I use the original 1.43 bios now.

How does your system run now then? I am running OSX only now, and I use it for school every day (Yeah it's a bit tricky but it does work much better then Windows).

EDIT: disable hibernate works really well, it goes to sleep faster (immediately) and it wakes up with the same speed as well!

Can you tell me how your testing with the other sound kext is going? I can't get it to work yet, I've read trough the tread but I'm not much wiser yet haha.

I can confirm that everything that worked before update keeps working after update to 10.8.2 btw. It runs really stable and fast, much better then with chameleon and non-efi use.

Joke is, that with the use of EFI, you really get all the "toys" you have with a real mac. Like you mentioned in your first post. Even Bootcamp seems to be working.

I use the original 1.43 bios now.

How does your system run now then? I am running OSX only now, and I use it for school every day (Yeah it's a bit tricky but it does work much better then Windows).

EDIT: disable hibernate works really well, it goes to sleep faster (immediately) and it wakes up with the same speed as well!

In general I'm very happy about the result, but there are few little things that are still bugging me.

- brightness is lower than default (i use bottom-right corner to put display to sleep and wake it up for better brightness)

- SD card reader not working (though I use the pci-express to SD-card adapter)

- it would be nice to have a better mouse driver

In general I'm very happy about the result, but there are few little things that are still bugging me.

- brightness is lower than default (i use bottom-right corner to put display to sleep and wake it up for better brightness)

- SD card reader not working (though I use the pci-express to SD-card adapter)

- it would be nice to have a better mouse driver

Yeah indeed. Brightness is not really an issue in my case, because I use mine for school. Which means, I use lower brightness anyway for longer battery life, but I put it to sleep every now and then as well.

I was searching the net for a possibility to use multitouch like the newer MacBooks have (three finger window switching etc), would be great it there just was sectretly hidden button to turn multitouch options in prefpane for touchpad...

can you tell what you have done to make sound kexts from the project you mentioned? I didn't get the way he got it to work.

Yeah indeed. Brightness is not really an issue in my case, because I use mine for school. Which means, I use lower brightness anyway for longer battery life, but I put it to sleep every now and then as well.

I was searching the net for a possibility to use multitouch like the newer MacBooks have (three finger window switching etc), would be great it there just was sectretly hidden button to turn multitouch options in prefpane for touchpad...

can you tell what you have done to make sound kexts from the project you mentioned? I didn't get the way he got it to work.

I always install new kexts by /Extra/Extensions/ using myHack | myFix so just put the patched AppleHDA.kext in there and move the original one from /L/S/E

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext /System/

and run myFix (Quick mode)

So I got ML installed and ran the myHack however I have no sound or network. I'm trying to learn how to generate a DSDT but haven't been successful yet. Do I need to reinstall?

machine type: 4179w1f

No there's no point for reinstalling. Beside the HD (Low resolution) screen you have basically thesame hardware specs like I do. So again... rename the 4180A32 folder inside EFI/OEM/ to 4179W1F and use this dsdt: dsdt-143001.zip but change the DualLink to 0:

"AAPL00,DualLink",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},

place the edited dsdt file in

EFI/OEM/4179W1F/ACPI/patched/

As for sound driver read post #30

I am doing this on my Lenovo T420 (Type 4178-6WU) with SN R8-Y2BLZ. I have tried different DSDT files as well. I keep getting hung on ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::InitFanThrottleControl - Waiting for AppleSMC

What else am i missing. I am using a FAT32 USB with CLOVER2 and your EFI update from the first post.

I am doing this on my Lenovo T420 (Type 4178-6WU) with SN R8-Y2BLZ. I have tried different DSDT files as well. I keep getting hung on ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::InitFanThrottleControl - Waiting for AppleSMC

What else am i missing. I am using a FAT32 USB with CLOVER2 and your EFI update from the first post.

Looks like FakeSMC.kext is not loading ... make sure you have it in:

EFI/kexts/10.8/ or in case you renamed my folder to your model name in OEM/41786WU/kexts/10.8/

Looks like FakeSMC.kext is not loading ... make sure you have it in:

EFI/kexts/10.8/ or in case you renamed my folder to your model name in OEM/41786WU/kexts/10.8/

Thanks for the quick reply. Same issue even with FakeSMC in both folders. I do have dual video cards on this verison. Could that be the issue?

Thanks for the quick reply. Same issue even with FakeSMC in both folders. I do have dual video cards on this verison. Could that be the issue?

The more information you give the better chance to resolve your issue.

- what OSX version you are trying to boot?

Update: Try disabling OEM table DMAR in Clover option during boot and report back

Edited by Kogen Mantis

Device Properties injected :

in terminal

ioreg -lw0 -p IODeviceTree -n efi -r -x | grep device-properties | sed 's/.*<//;s/>.*//;'

save the digit in text.app

for example :

450000000100000001000000390000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000197fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001...

in config.plist add (/EFI/OEM/folder name with Type of T420 : look a sticker bak to your computer)

example : type 4236-Y33xxxxxxx give you 4235Y33 )

<key>DeviceProperties</key>

<string>450000000100000001000000390000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000197fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001...</string>

in <key>SystemParameters</key>

use Property List Editor to edit the file

Today I've made a display override for my HD+ Panel (1600x900) based on MacbookPro9,1(DisplayVendorID-610/DisplayProductID-9cc7) and named it Lenovo LCD.

The display profile default is warmer using this file and I have added some extra resolution choices in scaled mode.

post-112035-0-95438800-1359552232_thumb.png post-112035-0-26209700-1359552263_thumb.png

Just unzip it and copy entire DisplayVendorID-30e4 folder to:

/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/

spdisplays_display Fixer.app.dmg to create yours

Device Properties injected :

in terminal

ioreg -lw0 -p IODeviceTree -n efi -r -x | grep device-properties | sed 's/.*<//;s/>.*//;'

save the digit in text.app

for example :

450000000100000001000000390000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000197fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001

in

config.plist add

<key>StringInjector</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DeviceProperties</key>

<string>450000000100000001000000390000000100000002010c00d041030a000000000101060000197fff0400160000006200750069006c0074002d0069006e0000000500000001</string>

back to clover 1050 cos with 1090 i got that :

Yes I'm using Clover r1062 cause latest builds broke cpu detection (thus I get fuzzy sound) and graphics are messed up.

BTW1: what is the DeviceProperities string injection good for?

BTW2: whats your full serial number and hows is your CPU detected in 1050? (Is it 2.6GHz or 2.59GHz)

Nice little app for beginners that just want to add the "Display LCD" for the unknown panel. Thanks for bringing this up.

As pointed out in private message from Tetonne I have notice that iMessage is not working for our HacBooks and I think the key to resolve that issue is:

1. Ethernet binding to en0 (first network device)

2. Proper MLB serial number (17 digits)

I have enabled and disabled my iMessage account few times to check if its working permanently... and all just works :)

• Like 1

Hello!

Thanks A LOT for your post. The last laptop I hacked was a Dell notebook and that was 6 years ago, so I'm basically a newbie regarding the latest procedures to get OS X running. Things have improved dramatically for what I can see and the community is now strong and really vast.

After a series of unrelated events I've ended up really fed up with Apple and want to experience other hardware and fresh air but need and prefer to use OS X. I need a stable reliable system that's why I like very much the UEFI approach, it's clean and elegant, congratulations on the work done.

I shall be looking for a relatively updated second hand laptop, and my eyes were set on a Thinkpad since they seem solidly built and reliable. Plus I like the rugged 80's look... I must be getting old.

It looks like the job is really advanced on the T420... Would it work similarly on a x220 or is it a completely different beast? I like the screen resolution of the T420 but prefer the size of the X220.

One more question, are the T430 or the X230 theoretically approachable with this method or do you foresee some hardware obstacles that make the hack impossible. I'm trying to get the most stable and functional Thinkpad that is possible.

Regards and again thank you for your work, really appreciated.

Hello!

Thanks A LOT for your post. The last laptop I hacked was a Dell notebook and that was 6 years ago, so I'm basically a newbie regarding the latest procedures to get OS X running. Things have improved dramatically for what I can see and the community is now strong and really vast.

After a series of unrelated events I've ended up really fed up with Apple and want to experience other hardware and fresh air but need and prefer to use OS X. I need a stable reliable system that's why I like very much the UEFI approach, it's clean and elegant, congratulations on the work done.

I shall be looking for a relatively updated second hand laptop, and my eyes were set on a Thinkpad since they seem solidly built and reliable. Plus I like the rugged 80's look... I must be getting old.

It looks like the job is really advanced on the T420... Would it work similarly on a x220 or is it a completely different beast? I like the screen resolution of the T420 but prefer the size of the X220.

One more question, are the T430 or the X230 theoretically approachable with this method or do you foresee some hardware obstacles that make the hack impossible. I'm trying to get the most stable and functional Thinkpad that is possible.

Regards and again thank you for your work, really appreciated.

He he yes I guess we are getting older cause I have a macbook pro but I prefer to use my T420 as my main hackbook computer :)

From the x220 spec I can see you will be good to go with the UEFI method (Sandy Bridge with Intel HD 3000) as for T430 and X230 I'm very optimistic cause I see more and more commits in clover that deal with Intel HD 4000 thus I see no reason why this shouldn't work.

To be honest I'm curious how will this work on other UEFI enabled ThinkPad's that is why I welcome all models specified below to join in and share their experience.

Welcomed ThinkPad:

E130, E135, E330, E335, E430, E435, E530, E535, L330, S430

L430, L530

S220, S420

T420, T420s, T430, T430s, T520, T530

W520, W530

X1, X1 Carbon, X121e, X130e, X131e, X220, X220 Tablet, X230, X230 Tablet

• Like 1

The more information you give the better chance to resolve your issue.

- what OSX version you are trying to boot?

Update: Try disabling OEM table DMAR in Clover option during boot and report back

I have tried disabling OEM table DMAR. That went further. I got to as far as the screen where it's asking for mouse/keyboard (bluetooth) which i had and then KP. I think it's the recovery screen and I got as far as being able to partition a new drive before it KP once.

I am running on Lenovo T420, i7 with 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD drive. For the install media, I am using a 2GB standard USB stick formatted as FAT32 then Ran Clover with EFI option (not standard and both of the 64bit checked) on the latest clover. As for the OSX, I have a MBP 15" retina and I downloaded ML 10.8 on there thru the store. I made a 8GB boot USB with that.

Thanks for the help so far. Do you need any particular info. I am trying to get the message before KP but it keep rebooting before I can even write it down.

I have tried disabling OEM table DMAR. That went further. I got to as far as the screen where it's asking for mouse/keyboard (bluetooth) which i had and then KP. I think it's the recovery screen and I got as far as being able to partition a new drive before it KP once.

I am running on Lenovo T420, i7 with 16GB of RAM and 256GB SSD drive. For the install media, I am using a 2GB standard USB stick formatted as FAT32 then Ran Clover with EFI option (not standard and both of the 64bit checked) on the latest clover. As for the OSX, I have a MBP 15" retina and I downloaded ML 10.8 on there thru the store. I made a 8GB boot USB with that.

Thanks for the help so far. Do you need any particular info. I am trying to get the message before KP but it keep rebooting before I can even write it down.

I see you have upgraded the RAM and HDD. Wait, you say 16GB of RAM is possible in T420!? Do tell more about the upgrade and what ram you are using.

You are getting closer... Dropping DMAR table will be essential for you cause you have new installer 10.8.2 (you will fix that later with AppleACPIPlatform.kext).

The KP is most likely your CPU - in clover try unchecking P and C states generation, than try SSDT table drop unchecked etc. Also experiment with different UEFI Bios settings (try using Intel HD 3000). Good luck and report back.

try Clover_v2_r1112 but went back to Clover_v2_r1050 cos i got that

Help would be great

i try to move dsdt.aml

no result

boot.log under 1050

under 1112

The systemlog says that you are running r1050 but anyways. (ok You have added the seccond one) :) 1112... This is because latest Clover builds are using DualLink enabled by default. Just disable it in config.plist and see if this helps.

<key>Graphics</key>
 <dict>
		 <key>GraphicsInjector</key>
		 <string>Yes</string>
		 <key>DualLink</key>
		 <string>0</string>
 </dict>

Edited by Kogen Mantis
  • Like 2

You are getting closer... Dropping DMAR table will be essential for you cause you have new installer 10.8.2 (you will fix that later with AppleACPIPlatform.kext).

The KP is most likely your CPU - in clover try unchecking P and C states generation, than try SSDT table drop unchecked etc. Also experiment with different UEFI Bios settings (try using Intel HD 3000). Good luck and report back.

I figured it out. It was the dropping DMAR and going to bios and turning off the NVIDIA optimus mode off. That took care of the whole install and all.

Yes I got the T420 about 2 years ago. So it was right as the T430 begin to come out. The motherboard can handle 16GB RAM. I am dual booting right now. One SSD (128) holds Win8. The 256 is partitioned in 2. Half for data shared between 2 OSes and half for OSX. Working good so far. I also got a small USB wifi module so that goes in the USB slot by the battery bay so it's out of the way. Just remember to turn of the power feature on BIOS.

Well, 3 things so far: 1:Not sure which format to use but clover is now installed on mac HD and still does not show up as bootable drive thru BIOS. 2:Audio is not working but I assume some kext is missing or needed to be modified. And finally 3: Everytime OSX is booted, Bluetooth keeps searching for Keyboard. Odd. Typing from T420 on Mac mode so it's good so far though. Thanks for all the help.

post-1127584-0-12486400-1360739160_thumb.png

Well, 3 things so far: 1:Not sure which format to use but clover is now installed on mac HD and still does not show up as bootable drive thru BIOS. 2:Audio is not working but I assume some kext is missing or needed to be modified. And finally 3: Everytime OSX is booted, Bluetooth keeps searching for Keyboard. Odd. Typing from T420 on Mac mode so it's good so far though. Thanks for all the help.

Niece to see you progressing with the setup.

The bluetooth "phenomena" is normal cause OSX doesn't accept PS2 devices as valid controllers (keyboard/mouse) and thinks that they aren't connected. Just disable the bluetooth check.

post-112035-0-97430300-1360749154_thumb.png

As for audio. You are most likely using wrong driver or missing one. Now that you have OSX running update your post with DarwinDumperReport available here.

Thank you Kogen Mantis, UEFI is a great way to go (and install). My 4236DE2 build is flawless (sound,sleep,display port) with a quick load (UEFI w/ clover IS quicker). Had to add a vodoo battery kext. After playing with several DSDTs I used manwe150's from the other T420 big thread with the "DualLink to 0"fix from post 32 (I have the low resolution monitor). Changed the folder name on EFI partition and bingo. I was getting that black screen before the dual link fix, although connecting an external monitor worked.

I simply swapped the drive to my wife's 420: 4177CTR. And all but sound works. No folder change. System profiler even shows her 16 RAM at 1600 MHz(GSkill) and a Firewire port. I can't wait to try the Firewire with a MIDI external soundcard I have.

My wife's is a refub but a hellava Macbook. One thing, I put win7 on another Partition and clover wont boot it. Even if the bios is only legacy.myKexts.zip

• Like 1