Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

tluck-  I'll try an installation of High Sierra. I do have an untouched USB stick of that ready to go. If I have any sort of success, I'll let you know.

Regarding a rollback to an earlier version of Clover.. There might be a way to do it from the Windows side but I'm far too much of a novice to know how to do that. I could roll back if I could get into OSX, but obviously that isn't happening at the moment :)

Let me try an HS install and go from there.

Thanks-

Steve

Edited by skoon432

Well this didn't take long at all!

High Sierra is suffering the same problem as Yosemite.  It tries to start and it simply stalls out. OSX is seeing something it doesn't like, period.  At this point, I give up.  Whatever is wrong is far beyond my scope of understanding but I still firmly believe the fault lies in a bad version of Clover. I'm convinced that it had some sort of very bad bug in this specific version and it totally trashed up the OSX partition in some weird way. Oh how I wished I had just left it all alone and not tried upgrading to a newer Clover release. A lesson learned and now its too late! :(

IMG_1392.jpg

21 hours ago, tasteTheBacon said:

Its all lead to the same result. 

To be pro-active: I've tried everything, even reset my bios settings, deleted and re-copied everything to the SSD ESP.
None of these helped. 

But fortunately, I figured it out, sort of. 

The solution for me was to go in to the Clover Options menu while booting up and manually select a different config.plist and then re-select the default one (Which was highlighted by default).

Without this manual step the boot hangs.

With it it boots fine.

I've even got the HD3000 kext loaded and brightness working with this step.

If you ask me it doesn't make any sense to me. Can this be a Clover bug? 

Not sure if you have any tip on how to skip this manual step, but either way, thank you for the support @tluck , and also @goodguess for the tip. It's all highly appreciated.

Screenshot 2018-12-14 at 20.26.20.png

• Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 12:33 AM, tluck said:

great. so which config file worked? vs the default config.plist

So this is what I've done :

When I created the USB installer for Mojave I've renamed the Mojave 1600x900 config plist to config.plist in the USB EFI / Clover folder.

My intention was to convert it to become the default config that clover selects.
While installing MacOS from the USB this setup worked.

Once MacOS finished install to the SSD I've copied everything from the USB EFI to the SSD EFI.

When I tried to boot from the SSD it failed as detailed in previous comments. 
Clover properly highlighted my config.plist (which was originally the 1600x900 Mojave config) as the selected one, despite this I had to manually select a different config and re-select the default one to make a successful boot attempt.
I suspect that if I delete all other config.plist it will boot just fine and this is a Clover bug, but I didn't have the time to check this yet.

On 11/3/2018 at 9:59 PM, goodguess said:

I still have the BIOS/UEFI stuff on a 1GB thumb drive.

My BIOS was at 1.48 with my last T420, lets hope the downgrade still works via DOS with BIOS 1.5.2

The bootable thumb drive is 1 GB, I´ll copy the needed files to a folder.

You will need to make a bootable volume from them to get into DOS for downgrading BIOS.

Here are the files: https://www.magentacloud.de/lnk/fvStA9ob

Good luck!

hi goodguess

sorry to bother you,

i must be stupid, cos i don't know how to do :(

there're 2 readme.txt (in TP and in root level)

i'm under w10 and my bios is 1.52 i want to wl to use my new wifi card

what must i do cos the stuff un-zip on USB doesn't boot my t420

can you please give step by step how to

Thanks for your help

best regards

• Like 1

so i figured out why the Panel LCD brightness slider is missing for some folks. WhateverGreen conflicts with the AppleBackupLightInjector so it is not setting the ApplePanel property correctly. it is missing F10Txxxx in its Info.plist 

So for now remove WhatheverGreen.kext from your ESP or /L/E

or add this to the Info.plist

<key>F10Txxxx</key>

<data>

ABEAAACMANgBNgGPAf4CowNFA+cExwU1B1oJHAsTDZsQ

WRMS

</data>

to the WhateverGreen.kext/Contents/Info.plist right above F14Txxxx

Edited by tluck

23 hours ago, Tetonne said:

hi goodguess

sorry to bother you,

i must be stupid, cos i don't know how to do :(

there're 2 readme.txt (in TP and in root level)

i'm under w10 and my bios is 1.52 i want to wl to use my new wifi card

what must i do cos the stuff un-zip on USB doesn't boot my t420

can you please give step by step how to

Thanks for your help

best regards

It has been some time since I downgraded my second T420, memory does not better with age either. :)

Basically you have to create a thumb drive which boots into DOS.

As you got that, you copy over the files I pointed to, onto that thumb drive.

Then after DOS boot, you downgrade with the DOS utility (everything else failed on my side)

At last you flash the patched 1.46 (with whitelist removed) in Windows.

I´ll look through my writing to check what still makes sense to me.

So yeah, the procedure seems to be still doable.

Looks like I did not want to delete anything I had found, though it is not needed to get the downgrade done.

Follow these simple steps:

1. Grab a USB stick and format it FAT32 with the hidden DOS system files on it.

I think I used HPUSBDisk.exe and the files from usbdos.zip while running some Windows OS.

2. Copy over all needed files.

You will need at least PFLASH.exe, B146.FL1, B146M.FL1 and the TP directory with the winflash.exe.

3. Boot from your USB device into DOS.

4. Type in: PFLASH /sa B146.FL1 (This should downgrade your T420 to BIOS 1.46)

5. Boot into Windows again, open a DOS window and navigate to USB/TP/bios_mod.

6. Type in: winflash /sa B146M.FL1

From the winflash GUI, select "Flash BIOS only" then click on the "Flash" button.

That should be it - reboot and enjoy your modded BIOS.

You may have guessed that M stands for the modded BIOS you finally want.

Besides the whitelist removal, some AMT features are also disabled with the mod.

Good luck!

For the rare possibility that you already ditched all your Windows installer DVDs:

The Internet Archive has one here: https://archive.org/details/HPOperatingSystemDVDWindows7ProfessionalSP164-bit650434-DN32012

No serial needed, but the install is not a "genuine" W7 of course. ;)

HPUSBDisk.exe

usbdos.zip

OpenMe.iso

Edited by goodguess
  • Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 4:31 PM, tluck said:

@MikeDece

hmm. i just went through creating a HighSierra and Sierra Installer to validate the process not long ago.

so for you, it seems like the installer runs and started to do the install - without black screen when you removed ScreenResolution 900x600?

did it complete install?

is there a microsoft install on the disk?

Yeah once, I removed the default 900x600 resolution and adjusted it to fit mine, I was able to get it to the point where it allowed me to use the diskutility tool in order to repartition and whatnot. Once I created the base partition and it copied the files over from the USB to the installation partition, and I'd boot into it, it got about midway before stopping and telling me the `NSLocalizedDescription` error as seen in the following JSON response:

2018-12-05 11:35:49+00 MacBook-Pro OSInstaller[552]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred while extracting files from the package “Core.pkg”." UserInfo={PKInstallPackageSHA256Digest=f6947c0c5ae5d2bd3bf90a557647131c186627831e182a624c8239b5ed9cd2c4, NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while extracting files from the package Core.pkg”., NSFilePath=/Volumes/macOS/.OSInstallSandboxPath/Root, NSURL=Core.pkg -- file:///Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.apple.pkg.Core, NSUnderlyingError=0x7fba4786a1f0 {Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 "archive verify failed" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/Core.pkg#Payload, NSFileOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=462, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777245, NSFileSize=4460809648, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=root, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileCreationDate=2018-07-04 19:40:30 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTypeRegular, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName=wheel, NSFileReferenceCount=1, NSFileModificationDate=2018-07-04 19:42:05 +0000, NSLocalizedDescription=archive verify failed}}} {
	    NSFilePath = "/Volumes/macOS/.OSInstallSandboxPath/Root";
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while extracting files from the package \U201cCore.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "Core.pkg -- file:///Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg";
	    NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 \"archive verify failed\" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Volumes/InstallESD/Packages/Core.pkg#Payload, NSFileOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=462, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777245, NSFileSize=4460809648, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=root, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileCreationDate=2018-07-04 19:40:30 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTypeRegular, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName=wheel, NSFileReferenceCount=1, NSFileModificationDate=2018-07-04 19:42:05 +0000, NSLocalizedDescription=archive verify failed}";
	    PKInstallPackageIdentifier = "com.apple.pkg.Core";
	    PKInstallPackageSHA256Digest = f6947c0c5ae5d2bd3bf90a557647131c186627831e182a624c8239b5ed9cd2c4;
	}

There was no prior microsoft install, I had some partition table that wasn't the GPT, on which I had a main partition with a Fedora LLVM partition and an extended partition that contained Gentoo and Ubuntu. When I was going through the install I wiped the entire disk, created a GPT table, and made two formatted HFS+ filesystem partitions from an Ubuntu Live USB, which I later deleted and reformatted from the disk utility tool found in the HighSierra install.

After making these posts, I tried to obtain a legitimate MacOS HS installer which I had my friend download for me (since it wasn't letting me do it), verified it, and repeated the process. Got the same result as before.

Note: Since I don't have a Mac myself, I used VirtualBox on Ubuntu 18.04 to run the latest Sierra to create the USB installer for part 1. 

Apologies for the late response, I gave up on hackintosh and just installed Windows and ElementaryOS. I'd be willing to give it another shot but at the moment I don't see the sensibility if I can't create a proper installer without having access to a Mac. 

Sorry to hear about your mischief MikeDece.

As you mentioned your T60, mine is still running Snow Leopard 10.6.7.

I recall installation was brain dead simple with the use of Nawcoms Mod CD and a SL retail DVD.

You may know that Internet Archive is hosting SL retail DVDs:

https://archive.org/details/cd-roms?and[]=snow+leopard&amp;sin=

I could dig out Nawcoms Mod CD for sure.

Note that Nawcoms Mod will only work with a 10.6.0 or 10.6.3 retail DVD - not with the grey DVDs.

Such install would give you basic Intel "Mac" sort of. ;)

From there, you could follow the guide to set up a bootable thumb drive with Clover / Sierra.

Other than using your T60, setting up 10.6 Server via virtualisation is possible too.

I cant tell how to do that in GNU/Linux.

Its easy enough on a Mac with VMWare Fusion, but thats another hen-egg problem for you. :(

Edited by goodguess

On 12/19/2018 at 6:06 PM, goodguess said:

I think I used HPUSBDisk.exe and the files from usbdos.zip while running some Windows OS.

You will need at least PFLASH.exe, B146.FL1, B146M.FL1 and the TP directory with the winflash.exe.

on W10 : These 4 first steps are OK but they bring me back from 1.52 to 1.49 (not 1.46).

I suppose i have to test it again on W7 :(

Step 3 with : No GUI, no Windows (10), just the DOS prompt A:∖ on an empty black screen.

Edited by Tetonne
add info about step 3

Tetonne, did you really boot into DOS?

No GUI, no Windows (10), just the DOS prompt A:∖ on an empty black screen.

Its a miracle to me how you should have got 1.49 when you had 1.52.

When I tried (long ago) PFLASH from DOS was the only way to downgrade BIOS.

Usually you could only upgrade to a higher version from the Windows command line.

As I never had BIOS 1.52 things may be different by now or something is locked.

Please bear with me asking the above, maybe I got something wrong. :)

Edited by goodguess

found on bios-mods.com thanks to zmb :

Here are some additional modifications to the bios modded some time ago (I think everything that people usually want):
- No whitelist
- AES-NI lock removed
- MSR 0xE2 unlocked
- Added advanced menu
- Memory lock to 1333 removed (now supports DDR3 1600 and 1866)
- Intel vbios updated from 2089->2170
- Re-signed with custom key to get rid of 5 beeps on boot (Does anybody have these beeps? If you get the error 1901: or some nonsense about security after this, you need to reset bios settings to defaults)

In the folder mod, there are bioses with different number of modification. It is possible to know what modification is applied from the name of the file: NWL - no whitelist, NWL_ADV - no whitelist + advanced menu etc. if you need to apply specific bios from the list, you need rename it to $01C8000.FL1 and place it to the folder 83ET82WW.

All credit goes to the TimeWalker and ValdikSS from the folowing posts:
1. https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-T...#pid114437 (this post has nice descriptions how to implement all the modifications)
2. https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-R...#pid141098
 (the re-signing thing)

Every modification is tested on my t420. But as always, use it at your own risk.

Link: http://rgho.st/private/7DYcBR7MF/7572e9d...8da07b25e0

found on bios-mods.com thanks to zmb :
When the newer version of the bios will be available (if at all) you could try change yourself. There is an easy way to apply modifications to the new bios version without disassemblers or any such fancy tools.

For this you need one external tool: UEFItool 

This tool could be used to extract some specific module from the bios image (*.FL1 - file) and then to replace it with the modified one. Each module is a program, which performs some functions. For example the whitelist check is done in the module "LenovoWmaPolicyDxe.efi"

The idea is that for the minor bios changes the modules in the bios-image of different versions are the same. And it is possible to replace the original module in the newer version of the bios with patched module from the older one. (see pic1)pic1.jpg.3c85e61c4fd656ed73d6deaecc55a432.jpg

For example if I extract the "LenovoWmaPolicyDxe.efi" from 1.51 bios and from 1.52 and compare them in binary mode, then I will see that the modules are the same. (command for binary compare: fc /b file1 file2 - see pic2)pic2.JPG.8f387e02bd193f82fe238da326e542df.JPG

This means, that I could take the patched module from the v1.52 ("LenovoWmaPolicyDxe_modded.efi") and replace the original module in the v1.51. This way I would get the whitelist free version of the bios v1.51.

The example above may be true for the next version of the bios v1.53 and for other models of thinkpads as well.

Of course If the extracted module is not the same and the binary compare shows differences, then bad luck and it is better not to touch it.

so back to 1.52 after downgrade to 1.49.

but i did not success to apply mod with "run WINUPTP.EXE /S from this folder"

WINUPTP.EXE dosen't seem to be recognised :(

from this 1.52mod: http://rgho.st/private/7DYcBR7MF/7572e9d...8da07b25e0

pain in the neck

can someone help

i now know how to downgrade from 1.52 to 1.49 (not 1.46)

back to 1.52 ok

i tant to WL this {censored}... T420 (1.52 or previous lol)

Hi T420 peeps!  I'm a first time hackintosh builder and I could use some help getting my machine off the ground.  I've researched for about a week and I've spent a couple days just trying to get a mountable USB to use (and I'm not even sure if I did that correctly).  To some extent I followed TLuck's guide, but I had to create some workarounds for limitations - I'm not sure if maybe I skipped something vital that is creating my current road block.

Pertinent information

83ET79WW  BIOS 1.49

41786vu
intel i5-2520 2.5ghz
Intel HD 3000 x Nvidia NVS 4200m

1600x900

BIOS settings Album

Creating the USB... After many attempts to create a working USB install directly from my windows desktop using things like R-drive, rufus, win32diskimager, etc., I ended up creating a Mojave environment in VM Workstation.  However, I cannot download a copy of Mac OS from the app store, for some reason it keeps returning with an 'incomplete' error even though it's up-to-date.  At any rate, I downloaded a .raw file from olarila and used etcher to flash it to my USB.  I then ran Clover r4726 pkg from the 10-31-2018 utilities and plugged it into the T420. 

USB finally working... I boot to clover and the initialization scripts run - I finally see the "Install Mac OS" and disk utility.  Which brings me to my current road block: I cannot write to my internal disk.  I have unplugged it and swapped it into my desktop to reformat to no avail.  I also swapped in a spare clean drive with no luck.  My gut feeling is that something in the BIOS is stopping the USB installer from speaking to the hard disk.  Any ideas?

EDIT:

I'm so dumb.  "diskutil eraseDisk JHFS+ disknamehere disk0" formatted it with no issues.  However now it says that I can't install 10.14 on this computer...

ERROR_F236DD3E91

1770041574_2018-12-2717_07_19.thumb.jpg.e406b6a1122e2879b46f26ebb4d6528e.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I run "diskutil list", I'm met with about 30 "drives" including my 160gb install drive and the USB, but also ~28 weird drives of varying sizes.

1178819920_2018-12-2714_57_32.thumb.jpg.652939d85d97e4dbf00a575a9d1026fe.jpg

Attempted First aid:

Running First Aid on "" (disk0s1)

Repairing file system.
volume is already unmounted.
performing fsck_exfat -y -x /dev/rdisk0s1
checking volume.
checking main boot region.
main boot region is invalid. trying alternate boot region.
checking alternate boot region.
alternate boot region is invalid. 
the volume could not be verified completely.
file system check exit code is 1.
restoring the orignal state found as unmounted
file system verify or repair failed

Operation failed...

Attempting to format/erase:

1715503746_2018-12-2714_58_58.thumb.jpg.010423837b236730d1d958dcc1c43e58.jpg

Edited by namisloc

Hi namisloc.

I would assume that you did hit several obstacles at one time.

My thoughts:

- A macOS Hackintosh can not boot with two active GPU. Did you disable the NV graphics in BIOS?

- HD 3000 IvyBridge laptops are incompatible with 10.14 Mojave.

- Your boot volume should be empty and clean for installation. Best use a Gparted Live CD to swipe clean your HDD/SSD.

If I was in your place, I would step back to a Snow Leopard machine and prepare a bootable USB device for 10.11/10.12/10.13 from there.

Snow Leo still runs fine on Core2Duo rigs. You may install with Nawcoms Mod CD and a SL retail DVD from the Internet Archive.

A virtual machine running 10.6 Server is another option of course.

As you got macOS on your boot USB device with tlucks EFI package, you may install on your T420.

Of course tluck´s EFI package has to be copied to your HDD/SSD to boot from it.

Remember that the Clover package must be installed onto the hidden EFI partition EFI/EFI/Clover.

The EFI partition is automatically created by macOS DiskUtility when initialising your HDD/SSD as HFS drive.

(Use a GPT partition table at this step.)

As you got e.g 10.12 on your T420 and booting with tlucks EFI package, you may DL 10.14 from the app store,

as the T420 pretends to be a MBP late 2013 which is supported for Mojave upgrades.

Mojave will only work with the new APFS file system.

You can only format your HDD as APFS as you already got Mojave.

When upgrading to Mojave from an earlier macOS, your HDD/SSD will be converted to APFS by force.

The procedure may fail for several reasons: Too little room on the given device, Mojave dislikes the drive, its a Monday, etc. ;)

Either way, be aware that the upgrade will take a really long time and may fail several times.

It may be recommendable to start a new thread for your work.

Most of us here already had several macOS versions on their T420 and do read here only for fine tuning.

Hi, first of all thanks to everyone keeping this alive.

I recently upgraded to Mojave after having El Capitan installed for more than 2 years without any serious problems, but it was time to upgrade... Install went smooth but I'm having same issues with black screen as @tasteTheBacon . His solution to remove all configs and use default config.plist worked and now I can boot fine, but there are some problems: brightness adjustment doesn't work - I guess it will work with the 1600x900 mojave config.plist if the booting problem is fixed. I've also noticed that I'm sometimes getting system freezes for few seconds if I click on some items in the menu bar (Apple logo for example) or when I use Preview app or similar image viewers (Xee^3), it is very random and difficult to reproduce as it didn't happen during writing of this post when I tried to randomly click on items in the menu bar. Is anyone else having same problems? I might try to downgrade to High Sierra, but dark mode feature is great.

Also my T420 configuration is: i5 2520M CPU, 1600x900 resolution, 16GB RAM if that helps.

Edit: Now it froze completely and had to reboot when I tried to open video with Quicktime, also now I've noticed that I can move cursor around while it is frozen.

Edited by bxe

Hi bxe!

Got exactly the same T420 config as the one you posted.

Did you install Mojave over your existing El Cap?

I recall some black screens and freezes during the Mojave upgrade, but things are working fine since (booting with -v).

I´m using tluck´s 1600x900config.plist renamed to config.plist.

The only issue I found so far is Preview not opening jpg files.

I did assign jpg files to "XnView MP MacOSX" but Finder displays the ever spinning cartwheel when clicking a jpg just the same.

I had a system freeze yesterday after inserting a SD card from a camera - tons of JPEG on it of course.

My guess is that Finder/Preview tries to access the metal API, which is unsupported by our SandyBridge iGPU.

Other apps may call for metal too, thus freezing the hack, could you share the QT file in question eventually?

On 12/19/2018 at 6:06 PM, goodguess said:

So yeah, the procedure seems to be still doable.

Looks like I did not want to delete anything I had found, though it is not needed to get the downgrade done.

Follow these simple steps:

on Win 7 or earlier :

5. Boot into Windows again, open a DOS window and navigate to USB/TP/bios_mod.

6. Type in: winflash /sa B146M.FL1

From the winflash GUI, select "Flash BIOS only" then click on the "Flash" button.

That should be it - reboot and enjoy your modded BIOS.

You may have guessed that M stands for the modded BIOS you finally want.

Besides the whitelist removal, some AMT features are also disabled with the mod.

Good luck!

For the rare possibility that you already ditched all your Windows installer DVDs:

The Internet Archive has one here: https://archive.org/details/HPOperatingSystemDVDWindows7ProfessionalSP164-bit650434-DN32012

No serial needed, but the install is not a "genuine" W7 of course. ;)

HPUSBDisk.exe

usbdos.zip

OpenMe.iso

@tluck : I think this procédure (goodguess' one) is great and may be added to your guide for those as me who update there BIOS to newer as 1.46 (DOWNGRADE)

@goodguess : THANKS AGAIN for your help :thumbsup_anim:

:thanks_speechbubble: thanks to you my DELL 1510 (BCM94322HM8L) is fully working now :-) :thanks_speechbubble:

For Europeen users : do not use channels 12 and 13 in 2.4GHz, if your BCM94322HM8L card come from China.

this huge tip was brought to me by goodguess too :-)

Edited by Tetonne