Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with UEFI Only

K0gen

5,271 posts in this topic

i wonder if there is a problem with FakeSMC. verleihnix had problem a while back and went back to Rehabmans build RehabMan-FakeSMC-2013-0706.zip

here is rehabman's site https://code.google.com/p/os-x-fake-smc-kozlek/downloads/list

tuck-

I tried this version of FakeSMC but get the same problems, if I use a vanilla AppleACPIPlatform (v1.7 or v1.8) I get SMC errors...

So, I am back to the custom version.

Thanks,

AJ

@AJ - ErmaC has provided a patch to 10.8.5 v1.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext 

hit download button and get AppleACPIPlatform.12F45.zip

Note: I am writing this from Safari 7 on 10.9 GM - thanks Tetonne! - everything works great. 10.9 is should be a fairly easy upgrade. I was able to patch AppleHDA (including manwe150's input fix).

Note: I am writing this from Safari 7 on 10.9 GM - thanks Tetonne! - everything works great. 10.9 is should be a fairly easy upgrade. I was able to patch AppleHDA (including manwe150's input fix).

Here you could put AppleHDA.kext to 10.9 Mevericks ??

Thanks

@AJ - ErmaC has provided a patch to 10.8.5 v1.8 AppleACPIPlatform.kext 

hit download button and get AppleACPIPlatform.12F45.zip

Thanks tluck, will download and install it.

10.9! great. What process did you follow to install? Did  you upgrade your 10.8 or did a fresh install?

Using clover and the same kexts?

Hi,

I had a head crash a few days before, today the replacement HD arrived.  :)

I like to go for clover this time. Maveriks is already installed.

It sems to boot fine, but not into graphics.

Framebuffer messages is coming up: "SNB Framebuffer did not show up, unload"

dsmos arrives. HD led is still flashing in background. Has 1600x900 LCD

any suggestions

• Like 1

@verleihnix - do you have FakeSMC (and other kexts) installed  to HD  /S/L/E? there were some problems with kext injection until b2217 

I just reposted with Clover b2217 - this might make it easier for folks to make either a 10.8 or 10.9 USB installer as well sort out the OEM section.

The top level config.plist will inject the kexts which are good for an installer or so that a virgin installation will work. i

Note: currently i prefer to install custom kexts on my HD /S/L/E versus  just leave on clover ESP. 

Hello tluck sorry if this is off topic ,  i'm using your patched applehda from 10.8.5 with the same dsdt edits as your laptop (mine is x220) and works great when i'm using unpatched acpiplatform 10.8.4 kext but when i'm using unpatched acpiplatform from 10.8.5 the sound works alright but after sleep/wake i lose the sound from the speakers but the headphones work! (that's weird) , the sound from the speakers comes back only if i shutdown the laptop and turn it on again, if i restart i still have no sound from speakers , ( if i use the patched files from ErmaC it works ok but i'm preparing my dsdt for Mavericks too and want to stay native :) ) , its weird that headphones works perfect always and only the speakers dont work 

@sot_22 - i did a quick test on 10.9 with unmod ACPI kext and same thing?! laptop speaker is dead but lineout/headphones still work after wake? maybe we need ErmaC to patch one for 10.9 too! good to know that his patching seems to help us (as well as others). not quite sure what his patch is all about at this time.

thanks for confirming this problem, it seems apple changed something in acpi kext on 10.8.5 and onwards which broke first for them (now it seems fixed) HDMI audio after waking from sleep as stated by their supplemental update and second our speaker audio ... if ErmaC can patch the 10.9 will be great , i'm searching for a fix or the cause of disabled speakers but i didnt find any info yet

not to take anything away from ErmaC,  but I looked closer at his patched AppleACPIPlatform.kexts. Well it seems he is more or less just leveraging the Snowleopard v.1.3.5 binaries in his 10.8.x kexts. in other words it seems as if is the same as what we were using in earlier on when we replaced AppleACPIPlatform with 1.3.5. 

But I wonder why some can use the actual native AppleACPIPlatform from 10.8.5 and 10.9 and some can't. i am on Bios 1.46 with embedded controller v 1.20.

(for the ones having smc errors) remove the ACPISensors plugin from fakesmc and see if the errors go away or maybe wrong ssdt or dsdt, i read that some errors are normal (like SMC reverting to old mode etc...) i have them too and they dont do anything wrong

another one setting to blame is if they have virtualization vt-d enable in bios (it must be disable for osx to boot) but this info is on this thread already :)

(for the ones having smc errors) remove the ACPISensors plugin from fakesmc and see if the errors go away or maybe wrong ssdt or dsdt, i read that some errors are normal (like SMC reverting to old mode etc...) i have them too and they dont do anything wrong

another one setting to blame is if they have virtualization vt-d enable in bios (it must be disable for osx to boot) but this info is on this thread already :)

Hi guys, I do get the errors... and I think I recently enabled the vt-d virtualization in the BIOS. I will check the computer tomorrow and try again. I think this could be the reason...

if ErmaC patch is basically a rollback to v.1.3.5 binaries (i don't know if thats the case) then its better to find a way for the speakers sound to work with the native kexts now that there isn't a problem with the battery anymore , this blog : https://digitaldj.net/blog/   if you scroll a little down the posts has some info on applehda , i don't know if this helps or can help if there is some detail in applehda which needs tweaking now cause if there is something wrong in acpiplatform kext and disables the speakers after sleep why it doesn't happen on real macs too

Hi guys, just confirming that I had the vt-d virtualization enabled in the BIOS, and that was causing the SMC errors with vanilla AppleACPIPlatform from 10.8.5.

I have disabled this option in the BIOS and now all runs good with the vanilla kext.

I think somebody else had this issues as well. If so, please check your vt-d virtualization.

Thanks a lot tluck and sot_22 for your help.

@ag695263 - great news. glad the new DSDT etc is working fine for you too.

@sot_22 - excellent article -  I added the Max Beep thing into the DSDT and no assertion now. don't think i will get into any detailed size patching as it works fine as is. 

the speaker thing seems to be broken with 1.8 ACPIPlatform (from 10.8.5) and later. The v1.7 from 10.8.0-10.8.4 works fine - even with 10.9. Although my esata disk does not alway wake from sleep with this older version; the later versions seem to do better job here.

Hey,

today I tried installing 10.8 on my T420 (4236-C32, HD+, i5, 2.5GHz) without WWAN and with SSD.

I tried all of the bundles from this thread, but non of them works for me.

With the clover bundle from the first post I was able to successfully boot into the installer and install OSX to my hard drive.

But whenit reboots it only shows "Installing" and a "progressless progressbar". (Dont know how it is called :D)

Waited for hours, but nothing happens.

Using other clover bundles I only got "waiting for AppleSMC".

Using the latest bundle from tluck I can boot too if I set InjectKexts to true, but it also hangs in the installer screen after rebooting.

Of course I tried different DSDTs/no DSDT, etc.

I have no idea what I can do.

Does anyone have another idea? :-)

Greetings,

Simon

Edit: BIOS settings are like mentioned on the first pages.

@vapayo -- i am not sure i understand what state you are in after you install. i use LionDisk maker to make a 10.8.5 installer and when done - you reboot.  then it there isn't any progress bar? how did you make the installer? the bundle i built is good for the installer and the HD after install.   

Hey,

thanks for your answer.

I also created my usb stick using Lion Disk Maker using an Installer.dmg.

But I also have never seen such a result. I boot the usb stick, format my drive using the disk utility and after installing clover calls my hdd "OSX Installer".

When booting it looks like shown in this video:

Edit: I just redownloaded the installer app and reinstalled but nothing changed. :(

@vapayo - thats an odd thing to happen. the LionDisk Installer after boot up should put into a panel that asks what Language etc.  is this on a fresh HD? if not maybe you have some left over .IAbootfile folder in the root?

Hey,

thanks for your answer.

The language dialog comes when I boot the installer usb. (I select german, the setup is german, but when rebooting the "installing"-screen is english)

I have 3 Partitions on my harddrive, EFI, Windows, OS X.

Before installing I always formatted the OS X partition using the disk utility, so I think there shouldnt be some left files, right?

well. if OSX is installed on your HD, then Clover should NOT be giving you this option: Boot OS X Install from Machintosh HD. some how you have an installer option and not the "regular OS" ... for it should be give you option: Boot Mac OS X from Machintosh HD 

Hmm,

is there something I can do about that?

I have not done anything special except the windows partition, but I do not see why this should make my fresh installation an installer. O.o

Edit: And it is 100% on the harddrive, I can boot it when I remove the installer usb stick.