Lion kernel testing on AMD (don't ask help here: use the Help Topic)

ham4ever

613 posts in this topic

i have seen that "hw.optional.sse4_2: 1" when it should be set to zero since i dont have that instruction (sse4a is not the same)

tried to boot with flag -nosse42bit has no effect. maybe the problem is here but i dont know..

PS: GPU OPENCL not working

Edited by bcobco

Try "EvOreboot.kext" WORKS like a dream on my system!

Thanks for this information. After placing the EvOreboot.kext in the /S/L/E, rebuilding with Kext Wizard, the Lion install successfully reboots. I have restarted about a dozen times over the last few days to test it.

I'm running 10.7.5 on my Phenom II X6. I've tried just about all of the kernels and they all seem to work fine, but I have laggy video and out of sync audio problems that I have seen and corrected before by using the busratio flag in Chameleon/Chimera. For some reason, typing in a busratio doesn't seem to have any effect on this build at all. No matter what I type, the system behaves exactly the same way. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Why can't I input my correct busratio?

I'm running 10.7.5 on my Phenom II X6. I've tried just about all of the kernels and they all seem to work fine, but I have laggy video and out of sync audio problems that I have seen and corrected before by using the busratio flag in Chameleon/Chimera. For some reason, typing in a busratio doesn't seem to have any effect on this build at all. No matter what I type, the system behaves exactly the same way. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Why can't I input my correct busratio?

Help Topic kinda question, In Activity Monitor does it show work going across all your cores? Try VoodooTSCSync and see if there is any performance gain, if so then I think it is a busratio problem as well.

• Like 1

I have the same problem, will test the VoodooTSCSync, never used it before...I am just surprised that there are no problems in 10.6.8 but when I use Lion or ML I get syncing and stuttering/pausing in VLC

Help Topic kinda question, In Activity Monitor does it show work going across all your cores? Try VoodooTSCSync and see if there is any performance gain, if so then I think it is a busratio problem as well.

I understand, and I have asked for help in the Help Topic. This seems to be related to the specific kernel that I use so I thought I'd ask here. Since posting this message, I've now made a little progress, but I'm still not 100%. Let me explain. If I need to move to the other topic again I will.

So in using any of the Bronzovka kernels (RC8-RC12), I have the same issue with not being able to set busratio properly. Now, when I use Shane's kernel, I'm able to set busratio thru Chameleon, and have no audio sync issues! I'm almost tempted to be satisfied with this, however this brings me to my next issue:

When using the Shane kernel, I get the red-pixel error in Cinebench and any games I try to play suffer serious rendering issues, mostly just black screens with a few graphic artifacts. However, under the Bronya kernel, Cinebench works fine and 3D games render without issue. So I'm basically caught between graphic issues with perfect sound/video, and perfect graphics with audio/video sync issues!

My main question is this: Why am I able to set the busratio with the Shane kernel but not with the Bronya kernels? Is there something I'm missing...?!?!

I have the same problem, will test the VoodooTSCSync, never used it before...I am just surprised that there are no problems in 10.6.8 but when I use Lion or ML I get syncing and stuttering/pausing in VLC

I tried the VoodooTSCSync for AMD's, it didn't help. If you're having the same issue as me, it won't do you any good.

• Like 1

I think this is a kernel test-related question, not an OSX installation/post installation question, because it seems to focus on a possible bug of the RC8-10 kernels. Is busratio hard-coded in them? Bronzovka might as well want to know about this, so i think the post is fine here.

• Like 1

I think this is a kernel test-related question, not an OSX installation/post installation question, because it seems to focus on a possible bug of the RC8-10 kernels. Is busratio hard-coded in them? Bronzovka might as well want to know about this, so i think the post is fine here.

Thank you. I was wondering the same thing. If I could get Bronzovka's kernels working with the busratio flag, I would be 100% golden, sleep and all :)

luckily, I get neither FSB nor busratio issue here ( i386 / x86_64 + RC8 / RC12 + Chameleon 2.1 )

They're both are detected correctly

amd965_cpuz.gif

amd_freq.png

i have seen that "hw.optional.sse4_2: 1" when it should be set to zero since i dont have that instruction (sse4a is not the same)

tried to boot with flag -nosse42bit has no effect. maybe the problem is here but i dont know..

same here

the RC8 / RC12 can only detect the SSE4.2 (emulated?) instead of the supplementalsse3 (SSSE3)

i386 / x86_64 either with or without -nosse42bit / -nossse3bit

kernel_info.png

luckily, I get neither FSB nor busratio issue here ( i386 / x86_64 + RC8 / RC12 + Chameleon 2.1 )

They're both are detected correctly

amd965_cpuz.gif

amd_freq.png

I apologize if this is a stupid "noob" question... but what terminal command gives you that readout?

sudo dmesg | grep -i freq

Ok, so...

Using the Shane kernel (-nossse3bit) gets me this reading:

legacykernel.png

...and using the Bronya kernels (arch=i386, arch=x86_64), I get this reading:

amdkernel.png

Now... correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it saying the busratio is 17 using the Bronzovka kernels? The only relevant numbers I can make out are the TSC freq, which is incorrect, and the "gran", which I assume is the busratio. Using the Shane kernel, however, everything is as it should be.

• Like 1

Well, now that Bronzovka surely will become aware of this issue, since he checks this topic periodically, you should just wait for the next kernel release: i bet it won't take long.

Best regards!

That would be absolutely awesome. I'm excited that I'm finally closer to having a working build that's not on Snow Leopard :D I'm happy to settle for Lion for the time being. I was just worried that there wouldn't be anymore work done on the Lion kernels since the focus has moved to Mountain Lion now :mellow:

• Like 1

BUS: Frequency =    200.0000MHz, cvtt2n = 00000005.00000000, cvtn2t = 00000000.33333333, cvtInt = 004C4B3F.FFFE0DD1
TSC: Frequency =   2800.0000MHz, cvtt2n = 00000000.5B6DB6DB, cvtn2t = 00000002.CCCCCCD0, gran = 14

RC8 here, detecting busratio 14 just fine. I did however have issues with busratio 14.5, which is the default busratio of this cpu.

BUS: Frequency = 200.0000MHz, cvtt2n = 00000005.00000000, cvtn2t = 00000000.33333333, cvtInt = 004C4B3F.FFFE0DD1
TSC: Frequency = 2800.0000MHz, cvtt2n = 00000000.5B6DB6DB, cvtn2t = 00000002.CCCCCCD0, gran = 14

RC8 here, detecting busratio 14 just fine. I did however have issues with busratio 14.5, which is the default busratio of this cpu.

So, I think there's nothing wrong with the fsb & busratio detection

they don't seem to be hard coded

That would be absolutely awesome. I'm excited that I'm finally closer to having a working build that's not on Snow Leopard :D I'm happy to settle for Lion for the time being.

are you running dual-boot of osx Lion & SL on your pc?

if so, maybe you should check both “/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist" and "/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist"

especially in the osx SL's partition (if it's set as the active boot one)

maybe the "busratio=..." or "fsb=..." were still there

Isn't it detected? I used to have a flawless system when i had 10.7.5 installed, but i just remember i had RC7, not RC8.

Best regards!

No, when I have my multiplier set to 14.5 the kernel also detects a busratio of 14. Which mainly causes the clock to run faster than real time :-).

• Like 1

No, when I have my multiplier set to 14.5 the kernel also detects a busratio of 14. Which mainly causes the clock to run faster than real time :-).

I am running 10.6.7 and 10.7.5, but on separate drives, and I checked both plists and neither has any busratio or fsb flags (I've never had to use them with SL)

Is there anything else that would cause me to not be able to set the busratio with a flag when I boot with the Bronzovka kernels? Besides it being hardcoded into the kernel...?