CAN YOU LAST THE FAST?

Mebster

38 posts in this topic

CAN YOU LAST THE FAST?

What is Ramadan?

Every year, more than one billion Muslims around the globe observe the importance of the month of Ramadan. Many religions encourage some kind of fasting for religious purposes. For instance, Catholics give up meat for Lent and Jews fast during the holiday of Yom Kippur.

Ramadan is a month of blessing that includes prayer, fasting and charity. It is the best of the month of the year. The Qur’an was revealed during this month. Also the rewards are greatly multiplied in Ramadan if the intention is sincere. The gates of Paradise (Jannah) are open, the gates of Hell (Jahannam) are closed, and the Shayatin are tied up as the Prophet (pbuh) told us. Also the fasting of Ramadan can wipe out all the wrong doings committed before if we avoid the great ones (Kaba’ir) that need repentance (Tawbah).

What is fasting?

Muslims should refrain from eating, drinking, smoking and conjugal relations from Sunrise till sunset. This means that no substitute should be introduced into the body. Fasting also involves abstaining from evil intentions and desires. Also being polite to your neighbors is an essential part of fasting. This includes refraining from swearing even if someone swears at you. You simply should reply “I am Fasting”

The Prophet (pbuh), said: "Fasting is a shield; so when one of you is Fasting he should not use foul or foolish talk. If someone attacks him or insults him, let him say: 'I am Fasting, I am Fasting!'"

Why do we fast?

We do things to please Allah, and they can please Allah only by obeying Him and practicing His religion. Fasting strengthens our self discipline and help us control our desires and actions. When we fast, we see the food, wish to eat it but can’t, and hence can relate to the poor and needy who see the food and cannot buy it, which will motivate us to help the poor and needy.

Allah says: “O you who believe, fasting has been prescribed for you as it has been prescribed for people before you so that you will (learn how to) attain Taqwa” [baqarah, 2:183]

Fasting is one of the Five Pillars (duties) of Islam.

What do we gain from it?

• Develop a closer relationship with God
  • To practice self-control and cleanse the body and mind
  • Enforces patience and determination
  • A time to think about those who are less fortunate
  • Learn thankfulness and appreciation for what they have
  • Makes us appreciate the food and sustenance given to us by Allah
  • Enhances generosity, hospitality and giving to charity
  • Health Benefits

What do we do in Ramadan?

• Suhoor - Since eating is forbidden during the day, it is recommended to partake of a light meal (suhoor) before sunrise, prior to commencing the fast. It is said that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) himself recommended eating dates during suhoor as part of the meal.
  • Iftar - After the sun sets, the fast is broken with a meal called iftar. The fast is most commonly ended with the eating of dates or something sweet and/or the drinking of water. Dates, water, milk and honey are foods recommended by the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).
  • Taraweeh - Praying during Ramadan is especially important. There are special Ramadan prayers known as Taraweeh prayers, although they are not compulsory. They are a sunnah (example) of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and are highly recommended. These prayers are performed in the mosques in congregation in the middle of performing Isha prayers (night pray).

Eid al-Fitr (Eid) – Celebrating the breaking of the fast

• Ramadan ends with the festival of Eid al-Fitr, which literally means the "Festival of Breaking the Fast"
  • Fasting is forbidden on this day as it marks the end of the month-long fast of Ramadan
  • A Muslim is encouraged to rise early and partake of some dates or a light, sweet snack, significant because for the past 30 days they have abstained from all food and drink from dawn till dusk
  • On the day of the celebration, a typical Muslim family gets up very early and attends special prayers held only for the occasion in big mosques, in large open areas, stadiums or arenas
  • The prayer is generally short, and is followed by a khutba (sermon)
  • The rest of Eid day is spent visiting relatives, having special meals, exchanging gifts, giving money to charity

It may come as a surprise to many non-Muslims, but many people feel a sense of loss or sadness at the passing of Ramadan. I know I do.

HAVE YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES?

(HOW MANY DAYS)

Daily timetable:

1. Have a light meal before sunrises
  2. Make a sincere intention to fast, as that way, you will be less likely to break it
  3. If you feel you’re finding it particularly tough, consider avoiding places with food during the time of fast
  4. When Iftar time arrives, break your fast on time with a date, something sweet or water ideally.

One great way of really understanding how Ramadan works is to break your fast in a local mosque. Some of my friends universities invited students to fast the day and then join them in breaking it together over a small meal. The students generally found the breaking of the fast and socializing at the end enjoyable and gave then a deeper insight into how Muslims feel during Ramadan. Ones that got their friends to fast with them particularly had a lot to talk and laugh about.

Actual Ramadan Timetable:

Sun rises later each day so to follow the correct manner, download a fasting timetable for the correct timing for you location. Islamicfinder will provide the timings for the five daily prays. You can use Fajr (sunrise) pray times to estimate what time fast begins as it's roughly 10 mins before.

IF ANYONE IS BRAVE ENOUGH THEN SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES :)

For more information on Ramadan, visit:

For an overall guide and understanding of Ramadan

Ramadan : Dos and Don’ts of Fasting

Download & Watch Muslims observe Ramadan: 1, 2

Watch and listen to extracts of the Tawareeh prayer

Watch and listen to extracts of duas (supplication) which is part of the Tawaweeh prayer:

Observe how Muslims celebrate Eid

Download & watch the significance of these events

I can see this whole idea becoming a reality T.V. show.

Five kids...

One island...

No refrigerators...

No eating...

As a Catholic, I just have to give up meet during Lent. After WW2 when meat didn't need to be rationed as much as it had in the past, it really hasn't been practiced too stringently. I follow the tradition anyway though.

It's weird because when you can't eat meat, it sort of plays with your mind and you start wanting ham and chicken. :blink:

(P.S. I notice you write a plethora of information about your religion on these forums. It is a way to fulfill your duty to entice others to convert? Just wondering.)

Thanks for the info, Ace, and I hope your fasting goes well.

Can you (or other Muslims here) elaborate on this section:

"The gates of Paradise (Jannah) are open, the gates of Hell (Jahannam) are closed, and the Shayatin are tied up as the Prophet (pbuh) told us. Also the fasting of Ramadan can wipe out all the wrong doings committed before if we avoid the great ones (Kaba’ir) that need repentance (Tawbah)."

That just struck me as interesting and I'm curious to know your thoughts on it.

Also, does this happen at a certain time every (Western Calendar) year? Cause I can't ever remember when it's happening.

Also, does this happen at a certain time every (Western Calendar) year?

No.

Cause I can't ever remember when it's happening.

That's because Ramadan shifts every year.

[Mod edit: Let's respect the thread and not let it devolve into a flamefest. - Mash]

Thanks for the info, Ace, and I hope your fasting goes well.

Mash, thanks mate :blink: . I'll reply a little later because fast ends in less than 1h here in the UK and I need to help out with preparing food. Honestly speaking. I'm not even hungry.

PS: Thanks for the edit.

Fasting is good for some period...it depends on a person... phisical worker cant do it for sure... :blink:

And religion has nothing to do with it as i do it too when i feel the need to :D

btw i dont belive in any god but myself... no one will do anything for me if I dont do it myself :( no god never helped anyone... so WHY would i belive in something i dont see even :)

Ok, this is only slightly off topic, and is really the only non-fasting response I'll allow after this, but in my crusade (bad word to use in this topic?) against shoddy logic, I couldn't pass this one up.

so WHY would i belive in something i dont see even

Basically he's saying, "I haven't seen it, therefore I don't believe it."

I am willing to make the claim that since I haven't seen coolbits' brain, I don't believe it exists. :blink: See the problem with that logic?

[Edit: Responses and other things cleaned up in the thread]

(P.S. I notice you write a plethora of information about your religion on these forums. It is a way to fulfill your duty to entice others to convert? Just wondering.)

I guess that you feel this way because of so many other AcePlayer's statement in other threads defending Islam, especially after those stereotyping-member. Although unfortunately, this member is also one of my respected person due to his expertise on hackintosh.

As a moslem myself, I don't think I have an obligation to convert others to Islam. My obligation is just to become a good person, that's all. Whether after becoming a good person (if I ever be :( ) then others will have more respect to Islam, or even interested to join in, that's another story.

"Invite (all) to the way of thy Lord, with wisdom and beautiful preaching, and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious!" ( Qur’an, 16:125)

Muslims are meant to let others know about Islam. If we feel Islam is the right religion/way of life then we really shouldn't be hogging it all to our self.

Just for arguments sake lets say Islam is the correct religion. On the day of judgement if Allah asks someone who never became a Muslim why he decided not to follow the way of life Allah ordered us to follow. Had he not heard of Islam? Had no one Muslim approached him to tell him about it?

He then replies and says well I was surrounded by Muslims but not one came up to me to tell me about your religion.

This clearly looks bad at his Muslim neighbours and anyone who had any form of contact with him. The tables might turn and instead of him being punished the Muslims might be instead.

Clearly this applies to many other religions also or at least could.

Also due to the huge misunderstanding of Islam currently I feel its important people understand as much as they can about it to make up their own mind. Also most people don't know anything about it (they think they do) but still criticise based on something that a few Muslims did 5 years ago or using verses from a website that’s all about Islam Hate. I’m not saying there is nothing out there that can be criticised by people who are not Muslim. They may criticise the fact that Islam requires women to hide their modesty as to imply this takes away their freedom. But if so much is critical then why do so many people still become Muslims who come from traditional western background knowing full well what they are going into. Almost always, showing people a full picture helps them understand why people do what they do and are they way they are. I would like to think I’m al least trying helping inform people in a small way to show the bigger picture.

BTW I have only created two topics about Islam: Islam and CAN YOU LAST THE FAST.

I created the second because well Ramadan is a great time for Muslims. One that affects their day to day life in a drastic way for an entire month. And I wanted to share this with the community. Mash has asked a great question (which I will answer soon inshallah – once I feel a little better and get some more time) and that’s all I want this topic to do. Allow a means for people to ask the questions and other to try and answer, whether it’s about Ramadan or Islam.

Assalamuailkum to the Muslim brothers and a what's up to all.

Just dropping to wish every brother (and sister) a great Ramadhan.

I'm off to fix my pc; corrupted Acronis OS Selector boot config is forcing me to reinstall OSX, Ubuntu & XP - in that sequence on a Seagate 160GB :)

Later.

-Greetings from Malaysia-

Queen grants Muslim prayer room

The Queen has given permission for a room in Windsor Castle to be used as an area for Muslims to pray.

The move came after 19-year-old Nagina Chaudhry who works at the visitors' shop in Berkshire, asked for somewhere to pray during Ramadan.

A spokeswoman for Buckingham Palace said an office had been set aside for Miss Chaudhry to use as a lunchtime prayer chamber.

A similar facility for Muslims already exists at Buckingham Palace.

BBC News Website

I know it might only be a room, but it's the fact that they acknowledge the need for one to pray in, that's important and appreciated.

Fasting is hard.

But it's harder when you're not feeling well icon8.gif and your head is doing this :robot:

Oh well... I'm starting to feel better now so inshallah more devout :angel:

really? I've been sick and I've been finding it eaisier o.O wierd

really? I've been sick and I've been finding it eaisier o.O wierd

It's easier in terms of food. But because my throat felt uncomfortable for quiet a few days I had a constant urge to drink something to clean it. That was the hardest part

In terms of food, I don’t get hungry very often. Like today.... it's been 5 hours since iftar and all I’ve had is a date and a coffee.... and a shared muffin. But I always need a drink. That's what gets me.

Alhamdulillah this Ramadhan for me went very smoothly. Wishing you Bro Ace & (Sist?) Suzuka recover soon..

Insya 4jJI I will be conducting Umrah in the next 11 Oct - 25 Oct, then following for Turkey trip till Nov. 3. Some brothers/sisters from Turkey? Let's meet ...

BTW. Should you have some times, please share your tarawih speech (if it is a custom in your country like here) .. I'll be writing mine in a moment ...

Hi,

If you want to do your body a favor, another good way for fasting is to drink "whey"

instead of eating anything. It is a very healthy milk extract, and it is known for some

hundred years now. I did it a few years ago for a week, and after being hungry the

first two days, you feel pretty fantastic.

The good thing is that you don't have to believe in anything and it is very healthy

because you give your body the chance to get rid of all these little toxins that came

with the years, and at the same time you give your body nutrient ingradients. It is

not healthy and even can be dangerous to just eat and drink nothing.

btw. if you want to test it, a good hint is to buy whey powder, because it has more

proteins. It is really worth it, because you will feel like ready to take on anything

after the first three days. :)