CAN YOU LAST THE FAST?

Mebster

38 posts in this topic

Here (UK) we reached the last possible 10 days of Ramadan the day before yesterday.

The nights in these 10days are extremely rewarding and so Muslims normally try and do the upmost good and worship of Allah as they can.

Laylatul Qadr: The Night of Power

Surah 97

Al Qadr: Power, Fate

bismillah.gif

In the name of God, most Gracious, most Compassionate

Bismillah ir rahman ir rahim

97:1 Verily! We have sent it (this Qur'ân) down in the night of Al-Qadr (Decree)

Inna anzalnahu fee laylatialqadri

97:2 And what will make you know what the night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is?

Wama adraka ma laylatualqadri

97:3 The night of Al-Qadr (Decree) is better than a thousand months

(i.e. worshipping Allâh in that night is better than worshipping Him a thousand months, i.e. 83 years and 4 months).

Laylatu alqadri khayrun min alfi shahrin

97:4 Therein descend the angels and the Rûh [Jibrael (Gabriel)] by Allâh's Permission with all Decrees,

Tanazzalu almala-ikatu waalrroohufeeha bi-ithni rabbihim min kulli amrin

97:5 (The night is) Peace until the rising of morn!

Salamun hiya hatta matlaAAialfajri

As far as determining the Night of Power (Lailatul Qadr) is concerned, it has been reported to be during one of the odd numbered nights of the last ten days of Ramadan, i.e. 21st, 23rd, 25th, 27th or 29th. It has been emphasized that it is most likely to be the 27th night.

Tonight is the 27th night (i.e. the night between the 26th and 27th) inshallah.

Just got back home a few hours ago from the Mosque (around 3am).

Laylatul Qadr is an amazing night. You see people you haven’t seen in years (as I did today) simply because they know that if they are going to go to the mosque to worship Allah in a single day in the year, it can't get better than being this day.

You see people staying up praying (salat) and reciting the Qur’an by them self and then the Imam leads prays which you join. One thing I find spiritually energising is the congregational due where the Imam asks Allah to forgive us all and our families (which we concur to through the dua), show us the straight path and keep us on that path and much much more. Forgiveness is also asked for our families members who have passed away and for the Muslims suffering and in hardship around the world. Ramadan is a time to remember them as well as everyone else who is in desperate situations.

In Islam Muslims often come together to perform some obligation (Friday prays) but these major duas leave a different feeling in you. As you hear the Imam get emotion and begins to cry as he asks for our forgiveness and safety from the hellfire, everyone becomes quiet emotional. As we ask Allah to help our brothers in need a lot of people can't help but cry. Also I have to not a lot of the times these duas are in Arabic (something a lot of people don't fully understand) but the emotion from the imam and the congregation is never any less. As a matter of fact last when I attended the mosque last year’s Laylatul Qadr there was a congregational due after the fajr salat. The brother who led the pray could speak perfect English but his dua was still in Arabic. I have never heard a congregation more come together in unity, filled with fear of Allah and love for their brothers and sisters.

Its nights like these I’m know I’m following the right path. You just feel it and know it.

In Islam intention is everything so make a mental intention that you will fast tomorrow (and try your best to keep this).

There is a point of time called Suhoor which is around roughly 10 mins before sunrise (fajr).

Ideally eat something relatively light before this time as its sunnah (prophet tradition) but it's not compulsory.

Once suhoor is over then your fast begins.

During the fast you must not consume any food or drink and not take part in any sexual activities until fast ends.

It ends at sunset and you break it with a meal called Iftar. It’s better to break your fast as soon as fasting time ends by eating a date/something sweet or water and then you have your meal. This meal time is called Iftar.

After Iftar you can eat, drink and perform sexual activities until sunrise if you are fasting the next day.

Fasting in my experience is tough the first day. Quite tough actually, which is why some of my Muslim friends used to give up in the beginning. But it gets much easier. Trust me. It also makes you more calm and peaceful and also makes you appreciate food like you wouldn’t believe. It also reminds you of the poor and hungry and makes your heart softer for them. People generally give more charity during this month than any other month because of this remembrance of the poor.

If you want to fast then ideally to get some understanding of what it’s like attempt to fast for 3 days. Although 1 and 2 days are good, you need your body to adjust to fasting for you to know how it feels to fast for 30 days.

I’ve managed to find only this timetable for DC. It’s not one specifically for Ramadan but it will do more or less the same. Fast starts roughly 10 mins before Fajr (sunrise) and ends at Magrhib (sunset). And obviously you take the times for the appropriate month. Ramadan/Pray Time Table

I hope you all the luck if you intend to give this a try. And if you do, let us know how it’s going along. Every Ramadan, I see non Muslims who attempt to fast just to see how it is and it’s always interesting hearing their experiences.

There’s more information on the 1st post on this thread. CAN YOU LAST THE FAST?: post 1