ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ! Can anybody can make a start package (from nothing) including latests kexts and dsdts?

Thanks in advance !

I have to second this. If someone could upload their latest kexts and DSDTs, much would be appreciated. 

I'm new to this kind of stuff, so I've been struggling to install Clover on my UX31a. I install clover using the .pkg installer, I select the packages for UEFI support, install in the ESP, etc.. I boot up and then it goes straight to the UEFI (essentially what enter setup does in the boot menu). I can never seem to get clover to work. Is there something I have to do in particular to get this laptop working with clover?

I've spent hours just on the bootloader and searching for a solution, but can't seem to find one. Currently am stuck using my USB installer (niresh) to boot into Mavericks. I have GPT set up, and have followed most of the guides... Is there some EFI thing I have to put on my EFI partition or something?

EDIT: Followed the guide on page 13 or 14 of this thread. Works just fine now, thanks. 

I have to second this. If someone could upload their latest kexts and DSDTs, much would be appreciated. 

I'm new to this kind of stuff, so I've been struggling to install Clover on my UX31a. I install clover using the .pkg installer, I select the packages for UEFI support, install in the ESP, etc.. I boot up and then it goes straight to the UEFI (essentially what enter setup does in the boot menu). I can never seem to get clover to work. Is there something I have to do in particular to get this laptop working with clover?

I've spent hours just on the bootloader and searching for a solution, but can't seem to find one. Currently am stuck using my USB installer (niresh) to boot into Mavericks. I have GPT set up, and have followed most of the guides... Is there some EFI thing I have to put on my EFI partition or something?

EDIT: Followed the guide on page 13 or 14 of this thread. Works just fine now, thanks. 

I solved the problem by using Chameleon instead of Clover.

I solved the problem by using Chameleon instead of Clover.

Attached are Extensions and Clover EFI folder including DSDT.

(One issue is: USB often fails after wakeup from sleep.)

Perhaps it helps a little bit. This is absolutely NOT perfect! But maybe you can make it better ;)

This is NOT my work! Please find the original files at the specific forum threads. And: Follow the guide on page 13 or 14 of this thread.

EDIT: REMOVED FILE (see updated version)

Attached are Extensions and Clover EFI folder including DSDT.

(One issue is: USB often fails after wakeup from sleep.)

Perhaps it helps a little bit. This is absolutely NOT perfect! But maybe you can make it better ;)

This is NOT my work! Please find the original files at the specific forum threads. And: Follow the guide on page 13 or 14 of this thread.

Thanks for this. I'll try it once I get home. Does the DSDT have patches like null ethernet and the FN keys?   :)

EDIT: Really impressed with what you've compiled here.. this is probably the easiest way to install OS X with everything working. Touchpad is a little buggy since it fails at preventing my palm from activating it while typing (if you have a fix, do let me know) and some FN keys don't work like F7 and F9, but other than that, you've saved me hours and hours of tinkering. I just need to install nullethernet.kext since i use a USB wifi adapter (Asus USB-N10).

Couple questions:

Do I have to worry about SSDT and CPU States using this? Or was that taken care of already? 

Have you successfully replaced the wifi card in the UX31a/UX32? It has the U. FL connectors I think which are not available in any supported card... I've tried buying broadcom alternatives, but I can never get a stable signal with those. I think maybe it's because I'm not removing the rings correctly or something, but I've tried several different cards from Atheros and Broadcom and the same signal/speed issues happen.

What about the HiDPI scaling? 1920x1080 is a bit small, but usable.. I tried SwitchResX and 1600x900 scaled (rendering the max number of pixels on screen), which wasn't pixel perfect in the UI, but it was certainly easier to read things. The performance took a big hit, but I don't think I had full graphics acceleration working as I do now with your stuff. 

And one more thing, if I am on 10.9 and everything works, is it worth updating to 10.9.4? I don't know if the performance improvements are just for Macs, but does the OS have any change that affects hackintoshes? (Other than making TRIM harder to enable?)

Thanks for this. I'll try it once I get home. Does the DSDT have patches like null ethernet and the FN keys?   :)

EDIT: Really impressed with what you've compiled here.. this is probably the easiest way to install OS X with everything working. Touchpad is a little buggy since it fails at preventing my palm from activating it while typing (if you have a fix, do let me know) and some FN keys don't work like F7 and F9,

Check stettings of asus FN and the elan touchpad kexts.

but other than that, you've saved me hours and hours of tinkering. I just need to install nullethernet.kext since i use a USB wifi adapter (Asus USB-N10).

I also use an atheros USB WiFi adapter.

Couple questions:

Do I have to worry about SSDT and CPU States using this? Or was that taken care of already? 

works. But you should enable an monitor and check it. But There might be an error in dsdt.

Have you successfully replaced the wifi card in the UX31a/UX32? It has the U. FL connectors I think which are not available in any supported card... I've tried buying broadcom alternatives, but I can never get a stable signal with those. I think maybe it's because I'm not removing the rings correctly or something, but I've tried several different cards from Atheros and Broadcom and the same signal/speed issues happen.

What about the HiDPI scaling? 1920x1080 is a bit small, but usable.. I tried SwitchResX and 1600x900 scaled (rendering the max number of pixels on screen), which wasn't pixel perfect in the UI, but it was certainly easier to read things. The performance took a big hit, but I don't think I had full graphics acceleration working as I do now with your stuff. 

And one more thing, if I am on 10.9 and everything works, is it worth updating to 10.9.4? I don't know if the performance improvements are just for Macs, but does the OS have any change that affects hackintoshes? (Other than making TRIM harder to enable?)

There is an security issue below 10.9.2

Check stettings of asus FN and the elan touchpad kexts. I also use an atheros USB WiFi adapter. works. But you should enable an monitor and check it. But There might be an error in dsdt. There is an security issue below 10.9.2

Ever have any problems on shutdown/reboot? My laptop will proceed with both, but apparently I'm getting kernel panics (something with like cpu3 and a bunch of details, will if needed) everytime I reboot or shutdown, so I get the annoying "Your computer shutdown/restarted because of a problem" prompt every time I log in. Seems to be a DSDT problem? 

Ever have any problems on shutdown/reboot? My laptop will proceed with both, but apparently I'm getting kernel panics (something with like cpu3 and a bunch of details, will if needed) everytime I reboot or shutdown, so I get the annoying "Your computer shutdown/restarted because of a problem" prompt every time I log in. Seems to be a DSDT problem?

Maybe dsdt. Maybe some other kext you installed. Check console.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So maybe this helps someone (/Volumes/EFI/EFI and /S/L/Extensions). I did some updates of the extensions and SSDT. Works even better (sleep more reliable) and extensions should be more reliable for updates (applehda vs. voodoohda).

Again: This is NOT my work. Get current versions from links. For installation read this thread (-x, GUID, etc.)

* Extensions *

* SSDT * (included in package's EFI folder)

-w 2 -x 
-xcpm in Clover instead of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

* Clover * (included in package's EFI folder)

* DSDT * (included in package's EFI folder)

This Thread

* Tools *

HWMonitor (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan)

Intel Power Gadget (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget-20)

Anybody else have an issue booting the installation? I created the install disk on a usb then installed clover to it but when i choose the drive in the bios menu, the grub menu shows up (I have Linux installed as my main os). Anybody have any tips? Thanks

Boot via UEFI from the USB pen drive! (see options in UEFI/BIOS-boot menu - is it F1 or ESC!?)

EDIT: Updated some Extensions (V4 of ELAN Touchpad driver. Needed for Yosemite)

UX32VD_Zenbook_Extensions_EFI_Clover_Package.zip

Extensions-Update-UX32VD.zip

• Like 1

I still am on my ux31. I'd love someone to put together a yosemite package though!

You should be able to get Yosemite up and running well with SeppDepp package. Btw, with ElanTouchPad kext 3.x, I got kernel panic and using touchpad in Yosemite. Hopefully v4 will fix it.  :)

I don't think UX32 and UX31 files are compatible unfortunately..

You only need UX31 DSDT. Kexts & configs are compatible :)

Here is my files for UX32A including DSDT, Clover config and kexts for Yosemite. I put kexts in Clover 10.10 kext folder for who update from Maverick using app store. Just boot update option with injected kext. 

UX32A.zip

• Like 1

hi i want to build the ASUS UX31 10.10yosem help you olurmus telling me step by step. 
the intel i7 3517 
HD4000 
256GB SSDs

google translate 

You only need UX31 DSDT. Kexts & configs are compatible :)

Here is my files for UX32A including DSDT, Clover config and kexts for Yosemite. I put kexts in Clover 10.10 kext folder for who update from Maverick using app store. Just boot update option with injected kext. 

You tell a step by step setup for me to ASUS UX31

So maybe this helps someone (/Volumes/EFI/EFI and /S/L/Extensions). I did some updates of the extensions and SSDT. Works even better (sleep more reliable) and extensions should be more reliable for updates (applehda vs. voodoohda).

Again: This is NOT my work. Get current versions from links. For installation read this thread (-x, GUID, etc.)

* Extensions *

* SSDT *

-w 2 -x 
-xcpm in Clover instead of AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

* Clover *

* DSDT *

This Thread

* Tools *

HWMonitor (https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan)

Boot via UEFI from the USB pen drive! (see options in UEFI/BIOS-boot menu - is it F1 or ESC!?)

I want to install OS X Yosmite on my UX32VD, i made a clover install disk like this: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks-desktop-guides/125632-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html

i use the clover files from SeppDepp but the installer won't start, after deleting VBoxHfs-64.efi from the drivers map it starts but i get a system uptime in nanoseconds.... i see faultCR2: 0xffffff813dc5900, Error code: 0x00000000000, Fault CPU: 0x0

when i use the standard clover files i get stuck at PCI configuration ...

can someone send me their UX32VD clover Files :) or knows someone a solution

EDIT: i remove the -xcpm boot flag because it reboots my laptop :(

Edited by rubenverhoef

EDIT: i remove the -xcpm boot flag because it reboots my laptop :(

- You booted the installer via -x? Of course... you did.

- When removing -xcpm flag the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded. We have to get it working or get it out of the way (remove it or NullCpuPowerManagement.kext.)

- I updated the extensions package (see  #963) - but I'm still on Mavericks... good luck with your Yosemite installation!

- You booted the installer via -x? Of course... you did.

- When removing -xcpm flag the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext is loaded. We have to get it working or get it out of the way (remove it or NullCpuPowerManagement.kext.)

- I updated the extensions package (see  #963) - but I'm still on Mavericks... good luck with your Yosemite installation!

Thanks,

-Yes i already tried -x and also npci=0x3000 or 0x2000, PCIRootUID=1/0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No

-I will test it with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from #963 (it has to be in kext/10.10 folder of clover?)

and do i need to delete NullCpuPowerManagement.kext from there?

The extentions folder what is the location on the clover EFI?

Thanks,

-Yes i already tried -x and also npci=0x3000 or 0x2000, PCIRootUID=1/0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No

-I will test it with the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from #963 (it has to be in kext/10.10 folder of clover?)

and do i need to delete NullCpuPowerManagement.kext from there?

The extentions folder what is the location on the clover EFI?

You definitely need -x for installation.

Maybe you tell us a little bit more about the steps you have done?

What's on your USB pen drive?

Where are you stuck?

You definitely need -x for installation.

Maybe you tell us a little bit more about the steps you have done?

What's on your USB pen drive?

Where are you stuck?

oke, here we go ;)

I use a 16GB USB, formated GUID partition table, 1 partition Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Named: USB
Yosmite is downloaded in the app store.
In terminal i do :
sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --no interaction

After that i install clover to it with the clover installer and i choose :
-Install for UEFI booting only
- Drivers64UEFI 
          EmuVariableUefi-64
          OsxAptioFixDrv-64
 PartitionDxe-64

after installation i put FakeSMC.kext and NullCPUPowerManagment.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10
and remove VBoxHfs-64.efi from /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ and add HFSPlus.efi

i boot with every every flag combination:
-v -x PCIRootUID=1/0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes/No npci=0x2000/0x3000

everytime i get stuck at PCI Configuration [begin] / [end] (my screen flashes vor a moment end freeze.

I also tried your clover folder from post #963 i put it on my EFI partition and leave extentions on the root of the EFI partition
but when i use your files when i select my usb stick in the clover bootloader it does nothing, i have to delete VBoxHfs-64.efi and copy HFSPlus.efi in to the drivers64UEFI folder. but then my laptop reboots when i select the usb stick in clover. after deleting the -xcpm flag my installation starts but i get something like:
faultCR2: 0xffffff813dc5900, Error code: 0x00000000000, Fault CPU: 0x0
..... uptime in nanoseconds.
Edited by rubenverhoef

I also tried your clover folder from post #963 i put it on my EFI partition and leave extentions on the root of the EFI partition

Maybe just try the DSDT.aml and Clover config.plist from the package. And put it on your USB pen drive.

(The folder structure of the package is just for the zip archive. Extensions should go to /S/L/E (EDIT: or to the Clover kext folder) on a running system. )

Maybe just try the DSDT.aml and Clover config.plist from the package. And put it on your USB pen drive.

(The folder structure of the package is just for the zip archive. Extensions should go to /S/L/E on a running system. )

Oke, i will test that when i'm home ;)

yeah the extentions are not needed for the installation? right?

and what you say about the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext do i have to put it in my usb or not? and is NullCpuPowerManagement.kext needed? 

thanks for your support