ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

I got stuck here in trying to run El Captain installer.

post-51549-0-17146400-1446719184_thumb.jpeg

I currently try to install El Capitan on my UX32VD

Asus Zenbook UX32VD r4002v (BIOS 214)

Intel Core i7 3517U (Ivy Bridge - IntelHD4000)

nVidia Geforce GT 620M

Display 1920x1080

10GB RAM, 256GB SSD

I use Clover v2.3k r3270 UEFI

bootflags: -v dart=0 nv_disable=1 kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0

I got following to work with help of:

- kext utility (bootflags kext-dev-mode=1 and rootless=0)

- 68x' DSDT.aml (UX32VD) in 'EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched'

- SeppDepp' ssdt.aml (UX32VD-Pack) 'EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched'

(Clover kext injection doesn't work for me)

Display

- with full resolution 1920x1080 (nv_disable=1 bootflag)

Touchpad and Keyboard

- with ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext in 'Library/Extensions' (Elan SmartTouchpad_v4.4.5_64bit)

USB to Ethernet Adapter

- with patched IONetworkingFamily.kext in 'System/Library/Extensions'

Audio

- with patched AppleHDA.kext in 'System/Library/Extensions' and custom DSDT.aml

Battery Symbol

- with patched AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext in 'System/Library/Extensions' and custom DSDT.aml

Some FN-Keys (buggy)

- with AsusNBFnKeys.kext in 'System/Library/Extensions' (AsusNBFnKeys_v2.5.5)

Bluetooth

- works I guess with 2.0 only

Not working yet or not sure about

- Stand-by and Wake-up (DSDT?)

- TRIM-Support for SSD?

- FAN-Support (DSDT-Patch?)

- CPUSpeedStep (ssdt working?)

- correct Keyboard-Map

- USB3.0 (read about problems with stand-by and wake-up)

- nVidia 620M (read about IntelHD or nVidia possibility only)

- HDMI/mini-VGA (not tested yet nVidia-Chip necessary?)

- WiFi (Atheros card ordered)

- SD-Card (won't work at all?!)

I still have some kext and DSDTs from other sources to test and im not sure about all functions of DSDT and SSDT yet. I managed to fetch my ACPI-Files with Clover (F4), and try my luck tomorrow regarding DSDT comparison and patching.

I am thankful for every help or advise!

I got stuck here in trying to run El Captain installer.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

There are some changes concerning AppleHDA.kext in ElCap.

You tried to boot in safe mode -x?

See the EFI folder attached. It is Work in Progress! But installation works with it. (But maybe I did some additional boot flags/options.... I do not remember.)

EFI-UX32VD-USB-Installer-WIP.zip

Thanks! This time El Captaine installer loaded. I even did not need to use -x parameter!

I am going to test installation now! Will report back soon.

What are requirements for partition to be able to install it, please?

Can I install it to HFS+ partition created from resizing of original Mavericks HFS+ partition of the free space?

Or to external HD by resizing original whole disk one NTFS partition and to create there a new HFS+ partition?

post-51549-0-87116300-1446726048_thumb.jpeg

See the EFI folder attached. It is Work in Progress! But installation works with it. (But maybe I did some additional boot flags/options.... I do not remember.)

• 2 weeks later...

I created El Captain USB installer with this tool: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/307003-clover-os-x-el-capitan-usb/page-1. And trying to install El Captain on Asus Zenbook UX32VD notebook.

Unfortunately I am getting this message before the installation starts to progress with percents.

OS X COULD NOT BE INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER

COULDN'T ATTACH DISK IMAGE.

QUIT THE INSTALLER TO RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AND TRY AGAIN.

Any tip, please?

post-51549-0-92825100-1447628058_thumb.jpg

post-51549-0-07153200-1447628070_thumb.jpg

It is the same USB installer as it was previous week. But I did not finish the installation since I did not have prepared free partition last week.

So I prepared new partition for installation and tried to finish the installation.

But it looks like the tool http://www.insanelym...itan-usb/page-1 requires 16 GB flash disk for creation of El Captain flash disk installer correctly.

I do not know exactly why.

But that tool to 8GB flash disk creates broken installation. The file BaseSystem.dmg is not correct size. That it is why it looks like the installation can not proceed because of this corrupted file there.

It looks like the file was corrupted because there was not enough space on 8 GB flash disk.

It also look to me very strange because with GPARTED Linux tool I see there 128 MB unallocated space. And also EFI partition uses about 38 MB space of 200 MB of the free space of the EFI partition for files.

That it is why from my point of view is strange that the installer creation tool does not create smaller EFI partition eg. 50 MB and why not uses not allocated 128 MB space to get additional 278 MB for HFS+ El Captain installer partition?

The problem with the created 8GB USB installer flash disk is that I can not change the partition sizes to fix the corrupted installer somehow neither with Gparted neither with disk utility nor diskutil resizeVolume terminal command. It would only require more space and copy full sized BaseSystem.dmg file.

What's with the other installer you created last week? It is created with the same tool. But has some modified kexts, config, DSDT,...

What is the best way and steps to create El Captain installer for Zenbook, please?

I would need to probably create it from scratch again. (Without using that tool.)

What's with the other installer you created last week? It is created with the same tool. But has some modified kexts, config, DSDT,...

Ok. I created it that way with createinstallmedia tool.

And copied the same EFI folder to EFI partition.

Then tried to boot the created El Captain Installer.

It seems to work, it started the installer.

What I observe though is that the booting time took significantly more time than with the installer created with this tool http://www.insanelym...itan-usb/page-1 .

I am thinking whether this installer tool does not give some advantage? Like more seamless working El Captain in the final?

Your opinion?

Easiest way: Create it with the tool. And change the EFI folder contents with the one I shared.

BTW: EFI partition is always 200MB.

I am getting this.

"This disk can not be used to start up your computer."

Why?

It is GUID HFS+ 190GB partition on external USB 2TB hard drive.

post-51549-0-87958100-1447696220_thumb.jpg

Ok. I run installer again from the flash drive and it showed 24 minutes remaining progress bar and continued the installation.

It took significantly more time. But it finished installation.

I then booted from Clover from USB flash disk to Mac OS X El Captain.

What kind of post installation steps do you recommend, please?

Audio does not work.

Bluetooth does not work ... no information found.

Webcam seems to work.

Card reader is not recognised.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Mobile seems to work. Displays VRAM 1536MB.

Memory 10GB DDR3 detected without problem.

post-51549-0-71927500-1447752570_thumb.png

What kind of post installation steps do you recommend, please?

Now you are on yourself. I don't use ElCapitan in my production environment.

A good starting point is to copy the (work in progress) EFI folder I provided.

There need to be some optimization inside of the EFI folder in the kext directory (Upgrades, fixes, add missing kexts,...).

Everything else is like in the old OS X versions:

So (almost) every information about post installation is in this thread. (So.. please read!)

Not sure if power safe mode works, but this is displayed.

System Power Settings:

AC Power:

System Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Disk Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Display Sleep Timer (Minutes): 10

Sleep on Power Button: Yes

Wake on AC Change: No

Wake on LAN: Yes

AutoPowerOff Delay: 14400

AutoPowerOff Enabled: 1

Current Power Source: Yes

DarkWakeBackgroundTasks: 0

Display Sleep Uses Dim: Yes

Hibernate Mode: 3

PrioritizeNetworkReachabilityOverSleep: 0

Standby Delay: 4200

Standby Enabled: 0

Hardware Configuration:

UPS Installed: No

Not sure if USB3 works. But USB2 is detected.

Ok. I copied EFI folder and it boots perfectly.

What kind of kext would you recommend to add to EFI folder into the kext directory, please?

AsusNBFnKeys.kext?

ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext?

It seems that touch pad works in some way.

Other kexts?

Is your EFI folder contains all DSDT patches? I am not very much expert in this and that. That it is why I am asking. Having more or less nicely working Mavericks installed long time ago.

Now you are on yourself. I don't use ElCapitan in my production environment.

A good starting point is to copy the (work in progress) EFI folder I provided.

There need to be some optimization inside of the EFI folder in the kext directory (Upgrades, fixes, add missing kexts,...).

Everything else is like in the old OS X versions:

So (almost) every information about post installation is in this thread. (So.. please read!)

How to get audio to work, please?

What kind of kext would you recommend to add to EFI folder into the kext directory, please?

AsusNBFnKeys.kext?

Please read this thread!!!

Look inside EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ of the EFI package I shared and you will already find kexts for touchpad, FN-Keys, audio. 

This is the place where to put the missing kexts. (And maybe change the audio AppleHDA.kext... Google is your friend.)

See older EFI/kext-packages (e.g. for Yosemite) for additional kexts. (Some kexts may still work for El Capitan.)

(And... Please read this thread!)

Thanks. I read a lot and will try to do again.

I got audio working with installation of latest version of VoodooHDA.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

Is VoodooHDA for audio good option or AppleHDA is better? I see Speaker (analog), Headphones (Black Right) and Digital-out (HDMI) outputs are in settings now.

Is installation of the kexts to System/Library/Extensions good or is folder

EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ better to use for audio and other kexts?

From my point of view probably USB3 does not work, since I installed it to external USB 2TB hard disk and booting El Captain takes time?

It would be handy to know how to check and fix if USB 3 is working and at maximum speed.

From this screenshot it does not seem to work.

I am still getting oriented in Mac OS X (El Captain). Sorry for so many questions.

Please read this thread!!!

Look inside EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ of the EFI package I shared and you will already find kexts for touchpad, FN-Keys, audio. 

This is the place where to put the missing kexts. (And maybe change the audio AppleHDA.kext... Google is your friend.)

See older EFI/kext-packages (e.g. for Yosemite) for additional kexts. (Some kexts may still work for El Capitan.)

(And... Please read this thread!)

post-51549-0-83270900-1447762060_thumb.png

I got audio working with installation of latest version of VoodooHDA.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

Is VoodooHDA for audio good option or AppleHDA is better? I see Speaker (analog), Headphones (Black Right) and Digital-out (HDMI) outputs are in settings now.

VodooHDA should be okay (But I remeber there was some advantage by using (patched) AppleHDA.)

Is installation of the kexts to System/Library/Extensions good or is folder

EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ better to use for audio and other kexts?

Better using EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ because it is update save. (Clover injects kexts automatically.)

From my point of view probably USB3 does not work, since I installed it to external USB 2TB hard disk and booting El Captain takes time?

It would be handy to know how to check and fix if USB 3 is working and at maximum speed.

From this screenshot it does not seem to work.

There are changes in El Capitan about USB in general. The old kext for USB3 (XHCI) for Yosemite does not work anymore. This is new... so other forums may have information on it.

I am trying to get USB 3.0 to work under El Capitan based on following guide.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/

But I am not very familiar with patching of DSDT. Could anybody help me, please?

VodooHDA should be okay (But I remeber there was some advantage by using (patched) AppleHDA.)

Better using EFI/Clover/kexts/10.11/ because it is update save. (Clover injects kexts automatically.)

There are changes in El Capitan about USB in general. The old kext for USB3 (XHCI) for Yosemite does not work anymore. This is new... so other forums may have information on it.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my working OS X Mavericks directly into El Capitan but unfortunately my keyboard and touch pad does not somehow work at all. Although the kexts are  in kexts EFI folder under 10.11. And also tried to install them to system extensions. Do you know what could be problem, please?

With from scratch installation it worked without issue previously with the same EFI and clover folder.

EDIT: Ok. Fixed it. Clover detected FakeSMC.kext in System/Library/Extensions and that it is why it did not load Clover kexts.

I am trying to get to work iMessage on El Capitan.

iCloud seems to work.

What kind of Clover SMBIOS setting should I use for my ASUS ZENBOOK UX32VD-R4010P, Intel i7-3517U, 10GB RAM, 2x256SSD, NV 620m?

I tried to use various SMBIOS settings, but when booted it displayed only 8GB of my 10GB RAM in About this Mac Overview.

And still iMessage displays:

"You cannot sign in to FaceTime on this Mac at this time."

"To use FaceTime with this Mac, contact Apple Support and provide the code below."

And then displays code and my apple id.

iMessage works for me iPad though for this apple id.

If Clover SMBIOS setting configuration is empty (is not used at all), then correctly 10GB RAM is displayed, but iMessage still does not work and displays the same message though.

• 2 months later...

I bought the same item but I haven't yet installed it in my UX32VD.  I had hacked an antenna from an old Dell that worked until the incredibly small wire broken where I connected it to the lid and then my wi-fi signal went to {censored}. This should provide a better solution. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I installed today successfully El Capitan on my UX31A. The only thing is, that there is no Clover

boot option in my bios. Max OS. What do I have My Bios Rom is 219.  

Can anyone help me?

I have done that twice. Still the same. Only Mac Os in the Boot options.