ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Tried that many times before, but I'll give it another shot.

The problem is that the IODisplayEDID is exactly the same both when the screen works, and when it doesn't. Was this the case for you, or did the EDID change when the screen was scrambled? Turning the screen on and off solves the problem and gives a clean normal screen, but that's not a permanent solution. The EDID is the same as both GNU/Linux and Windows reports and there's no form of scrambled screen there. The screen also get temporary burn-ins if the screen is scrambled for more than a minute.

Edit: Yup, doesn't change. If anyone wants my tools to check for the EDID pickup: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/208410-fixing-scrambledstretched-or-wrong-resolution-laptop-display-problems/?p=2018547

Update: I am still getting scrambled screen. Is this related to the capri framebuffer kext?

also I get a freeze when I unplug my charger. However, I can't always replicate it.

I've tried a lot of different options by manually patching the capri framebuffer's connection values to make it work and it never does. I've tried different bootloaders, none which give any correct result. Overrides? Nope. IntelCapriFB? No. Injecting a different FB into the DSDT? No. Injecting the EDID into the DSDT? No.

I've tried a lot of crazy things to get that screen working perfectly on boot, but I have absolutely no idea what might cause it. All I know is that it won't do it in safe mode (thus hinting at the Framebuffer), that it didn't happen before Mavericks and that turning the screen off (sleeping it) fixes it.

A temporary fix I've found is to use EMlyDinEsH's "Fix Brightness" LaunchAgent so that when you log in it'll sleep the screen automatically and turn it on again. It's a horrible way to do it though and there has to be a solution somewhere. 

----------

Here is the HDMI audio patched AppleIntelFramebufferCapri for 10.9.3. This is for those of us who can't get HDMI audio out for some strange reason with the stock one. Use it with Chameleon as Clover does the same thing automatically if I remember correctly. 

AppleIntelFramebufferCapriFixed10.9.3.zip

Does anybody try 10.9 on Zenbook UX42VS? I have no sound (Via 1802p) and no wi-fi (intel6235).

My touchpad works bad-without gestures. And I can boot only with help of installation flash. Please, help me)

P.S.  sorry for English. Iam from Russia.

Does anybody try 10.9 on Zenbook UX42VS? I have no sound (Via 1802p) and no wi-fi (intel6235).

My touchpad works bad-without gestures. And I can boot only with help of installation flash. Please, help me)

P.S.  sorry for English. Iam from Russia.

The sound issue shouldn't be too hard to fix. Just find out what type of audio codec it is and go from there (the UX32VD has a ALC269 codec). Then find a pre-patched AppleHDA or preferably fix it yourself: http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/forum/76-applehda/

The Intel wireless cards will NEVER work in OS X, end of story. This is the same problem as all the UX31/UX32 versions as well. It won't work, you'll need to replace it with another half-mini PCI wireless card. I'd recommend the Azurewave AW-CE123H which has both bluetooth and wireless 802.11ac compatibility. It's the latest and the greatest within wireless tech and it works perfectly in OS X. It's a bit pricey though, so if that's a factor you might want to look at something else (if you google "half-mini PCI wireless OS X" you'll get to that other site that shall-not-be-named which has a really, really nice compilation of half-mini cards that work in OS X).

As for the trackpad: forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-os-x/ as the UX42VS does have a Elan Touchpad. Try and see if it works.

You will only be able to boot through the flash drive because the BIOS will not boot from OS X Extended drives. Since you're Russian you shouldn't have any problem finding info on Clover which is developed by Russians. Clover is the best way to go so once you get that running (it's quite tricky if you ask me) you'll be able to boot normally. Personally I use the small caching SSD as a bootloader partition for Chameleon as Clover has been nothing but trouble from day one for me, but Clover is without a doubt the best bootloader on the market, so see if you can't get that working. You might also want to check out: http://www.skylineosx.com/installation/switching-from-chameleonchimera-to-clover/ but I believe the Russian documentation and guides to installing Clover is far, FAR superior to what is in English, but don't quote me on that.

I can boot from hard drive.

I just added clover to the bios boot from the clover options

Yep, Clover creates a small and hidden FAT32 partition on the OS X drive named EFI which the UEFI detects as a valid boot device (where you put all the DSDT stuff inside). That's why you don't need anything else with Clover, it's "Clever" that way. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Woot! Anyone try 10.10 yet? I see the DP has dropped..

Probably more trouble than it's worth, as far as I've heard by people running it on actual Macs it's quite rough around the corners to say the least.

Plus it has a few issues with kexts, kernels and more: http://netkas.org/?p=1329  it harder to Hackintosh than before. I'd recommend coming back when the public beta arrives, at least then it'll be more stable and have more features as this DP1 release is clearly an older seed than what they showed during the keynote.

Edit: Here's a guide for those who absolutely need to try it out, but I'd wait until DP3 or the public beta. http://www.skylineosx.com/yosemite-installation-guide/ It's pretty much exactly the same as before, just this time you use a new kernel flag: kext-dev-mode=1 .

• 2 weeks later...

The screen of UX31-DH51 supports WQXGA (2560 × 1600) resolution. B)

Hmm, I tried out the 2560x1400 resolution on my UX32VD and it worked fine. Dunno if it is usable though as the text gets incredibly small at that resolution.

Any downsides when "overclocking" the screen like that except it using the HD4000 more? Doesn't exactly seem healthy for the screen if 1920x1080 is the recommended screen resolution, will it damage the screen in any way?

Edit:

Works fine in 1280x720 HiDPI too obviously, however as the name implies the resolution is scaled down to 1280x720 while being rendered at 2560x1400 since that's the GPU's maximum resolution. It probably doesn't hurt, but it looks damn ugly (at least in my experience) as the elements are so insanely huge and uncomfortable. It's also quite taxing on the Intel chip which is noticeable when scrolling or moving windows.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm attempting to boot my ux31a and i'm having some problems. 

1st problem is I can only boot in safe mode. The 2nd problem that I am having is that I can only boot with the flash drive in. I thought I could install clover to a 1gb fat partition so that my bios could recognize that it was there but I can't mount the fat partition so I can not install clover to the partition.

Those are the two major problems that I am having right now, I figure that I will tackle the other smaller problems after I can take care of the major ones.

Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody tried a higher resolution via HDMI on the Zenbook? I am trying 2560 x 1440p and it does not work.

I also tried to create via SwitchResX. The resoltion does not appear. (Also with Alt key in display setting.)

(I am using a 2160p certified HDMI cable.)

SOLVED: In the moment of writing... there it is... WORKS! 

• Like 1