10.8.2 : strange - Kernel panic if not using -v (verbose)

mitch_de

23 posts in this topic

Never had such an problem:

If i boot without verbose mode (-v) the boot process KPs very early (by kernel itself before .kext usage).

With -v never KPs - tested many times.

Can it be some timing problem (or prob with chameleon) that not happen if kernel must write out verbose informations?

I installed 10.8.2 over 10.8.1 and had not used any (older) .kext / patches.

I would understand that some other flags like not using kextcache would make such an problem. But verbose - difference to normal mode is only switching late to video mode and the verbose logging takes some ns time each write so screen.

It happen to me when i first installed M.Lion, but mine wasn't kernal panic but the Monitor just went out and stay out. What happen were the Graphic enabler in the string set to "No" instead of "Yes" in the com,boot.plist.

• Like 1

Yes, i rebuild kernel cache - not helped.

I went from Chameleon 2035 to 2050 - and it gets even worse (graphicsenabler fails + c+P States fail)- same settings in .plist.

Chimera (same .plist) seems to work now. Strange

Well if it makes you feel any better, 10.8.2 re-broke Handsoff!, with same error as before. It looks like it's just the network monitor part that doesn't work. As for Chameleon, actually switched to current Chimera branch when I rebuilt my RAID-0 array as all other versions seemed to have problems building the cache on boot helper partition, but always boot verbose with no gui too. Not sure if verbose effects boot speed, but Chameleon gui slows it down a lot, verbose or regular, until it passes off to OSX to finish booting.

It happen to me when i first installed M.Lion, but mine wasn't kernal panic but the Monitor just went out and stay out. What happen were the Graphic enabler in the string set to "No" instead of "Yes" in the com,boot.plist.

Yep! you're right, same thing happened to me and "GraphicsEnabler=Yes" was missing from the com.boot.plist. :) I CONFIRM!

I checked bdmesg log (chimera) booting OK with -v:

boot: Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist] 290 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plist] 572 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist] 479 bytes.

Loading Darwin 10.8

Loading kernel cache /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 4096 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 16606187 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 11840 bytes.

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1

nVidia GeForce 9600 GT 512MB NV94 [10de:0622] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

LAN Controller [10ec:8168] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1c,0x4)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Setting up lan keys

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,1)/Extra/smbios.plist] 839 bytes.

Intel P35/G33 DRAM Controller [8086:29c0] at 00:00.0

Why does chameleon / chimera reads kextcache twice?

Can someone check that message part (kextcache) with other OS X version (Lion, or ML 10.8.0/.1) ?

hi

with rev 1970 in 10.8.1

Loading Darwin 10.8

Loading kernel cache /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 4096 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 17747984 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 57703 bytes.

i go see in 10.8.2 also and post

good hack

hi

with same chameleon in 10.8.2

Loading Darwin 10.8

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 4096 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/kernelcache] 18073676 bytes.

Read HFS+ file: [hd(0,2)/Extra/DSDT.aml] 57703 bytes.

so that twice kernelcache log seems not the prob - perhaps first 4K read is the filename read (normal).

Some detail in deep must be the diff why kernel panics without -v (timing? / kernel works little different using verbose?)

my system is Supermicro C2SBX (X38/ich9r) E8400 8GB DDR3

this beta update 10.8.2 hangs my boot

my tested bootloader: Enoch 1970,2035,2044,2050,chimera 1,1

fakesmc is kozlek

symptoms:

-v boot hangs over:

SMC: Succesfully Initialized

waitForSystemMapper

Backtrace 0xffffff8000588f7e

sorry my bad english.

edited: all other osx 10.6.x-10.7.x-10.8.1 working without problem

:help:

I have 10.8 and is using Chimera 1.11 to boot. I am having same problem. While booting without -v, I get kernel panic so I've to boot always in verbose mode. However, I repaired the permission using disk utility and for the next boot, I had no problem. But it comes back again. I will try to boot using keepsyms=y now.

I have 10.8 and is using Chimera 1.11 to boot. I am having same problem. While booting without -v, I get kernel panic so I've to boot always in verbose mode. However, I repaired the permission using disk utility and for the next boot, I had no problem. But it comes back again. I will try to boot using keepsyms=y now.

Tried to boot with 'keepsyms=y' using Chimera 1.11, got kernel panic.

I I then used Chameleon 2.1svn-r2048 and could boot successfully without -v option. Very strange. I don't use chameleon because I would not be able to use my trackpad but If I boot from Chimera my trackpad works!!! Again, very strange. I have Elantech trackpad.

I also use Chimera 1.11.1 and keepsyms=y worked (without -v)

Perhaps you mistyped the keepsyms =y and then , whitout any error message the flag was ignored.

(simple type keepsyms=y behind boot: without any chars before and after and try again)

EDIT: Devs told that that kernelflag should not help to aviod KP, it gives more info in the KP log if KP happens.

I tried first time (after >10 times KP) without -v and without keep . no KP.

Strange - but i dont think my hardware is instable/reason. Something other must be the problem.

If someone gas also KP with keepsyms =y please take foto and post it here. Devs need that extra info for further checks. I will do same of i get an KP back using keepsyms =y

• 4 weeks later...

I also use Chimera 1.11.1 and keepsyms=y worked (without -v)

Perhaps you mistyped the keepsyms =y and then , whitout any error message the flag was ignored.

(simple type keepsyms=y behind boot: without any chars before and after and try again)

EDIT: Devs told that that kernelflag should not help to aviod KP, it gives more info in the KP log if KP happens.

I tried first time (after >10 times KP) without -v and without keep . no KP.

Strange - but i dont think my hardware is instable/reason. Something other must be the problem.

If someone gas also KP with keepsyms =y please take foto and post it here. Devs need that extra info for further checks. I will do same of i get an KP back using keepsyms =y

same here, upgraded to 10.8.2 with combo updater. now i often can't boot.

Here is my setup:

Bootloader, current chimera from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]...:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>[b]keepsyms=y[/b] debug=0x100 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

hang on boot - PCI Configuration Begin

- IOPCIFamily kext from here: http://netkas.org/?p=1053

Mainboard is the well known Asus IPIBL-LB (in a bunch of HP machines, a lot of these are running OSx86)

VoodooHDA 2.7.4 with edits:

Problem: kernel panic.

Solution 1: remove AppleHDA and restart the system before installing VoodooHDA.

Solution 2: edit Info.plist, replace the key IOPCIClassMatch by IOPCIPrimaryMatch and put the PCI ID of your audio card in string.

Before

Code:

<key>IOPCIClassMatch</key>

<string>0x04030000&0xffff0000</string>

After

Code:

<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>293e8086</string>

Graphics Card is an AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB

everything worked fine.. since the combo update 10.8.2 ;)

Here is a photo of kernel panic with keepsyms=y:

post-17426-0-29237500-1348153442_thumb.jpg

ok, big mistake here: i just thougd i was using netkas' patched IOPCIFamily... but is just used it on 10.8.0 - i guess there came an updated ket with 10.8.1 !?

Why am i thinking this?

the kext from netkas is this one: netkas-IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

i restored whole disk to a 10.8.1 backup, it boots fine! this is the kext i use under 10.8.1: 10_8_1_IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

can some one check if this is a vanilla 10.8.1 kext?

i will try to update to 10.8.2 again...

10_8_1_IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

netkas-IOPCIFamily.kext.zip

back on 10.8.2 ...

after 6 fine boots i get a kernel panic..... restart panic, restart panic, turn of for a while: boots.

this is my boot-config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1920x1200x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>