Mavericks kernel testing on AMD (formerly Mountain Lion kernel testing on AMD)

theconnactic

6,414 posts in this topic

Hi there !

I am pleased to announce that I have developped a SSSE3 (yes, 3 S') emulator for the XNU kernel.

Right now I am working on finishing up this work on the 10.6.8 kernel, but it should be easily portable to the newer kernels.

The plan would be to work upwards and integrate it to 10.7.x and then 10.8 =)

I made a test case program and the core emulation routines work, but there is a lot of integration work to do still. I am posting here because I would like to get in touch with people with strong coding/technical skills! In particular, I would like to also overhaul some AMD parts of the current patches.

So if you are interested in collaborating with me, let me know!

-- Sinetek (Also, I'd be happy to communicate in English/Français/Deutsch)

• Like 6

Hi there !

I am pleased to announce that I have developped a SSSE3 (yes, 3 S') emulator for the XNU kernel.

Right now I am working on finishing up this work on the 10.6.8 kernel, but it should be easily portable to the newer kernels.

I made a test case program and the core emulation routines work, but there is a lot of integration work to do still. I am posting here because I would like to get in touch with people with strong coding/technical skills! In particular, I would like to also overhaul some AMD parts of the current patches.

Then you're making history, my friend! Congratulations! You just solve years-long issues for not only AMD users, but for lots of legacy intel users as well. Cheers!

I'd love to test your emulator asap on my rig: could you upload it here?

As for the specialized help you need, i'm afraid i'm below the standards required for this, but i know a person who could help you a lot: meklort. You can talk to him on IRC, server irc.osx86.hu, rooms #legacykernel, #mountainlion and #lion. Other people can help you also, look for nawcom, developer of the legacy kernel.

Thank you very much, Sinetek!

Peut-être il faut que vous mettiez le système d'exploitation comme Windows sur ton VM. Si vous faites ça, VMWare va émuler un carte mère avec BIOS, alors vous pouvez installer comme normal.

Aussi, vouz pouvez écrire en français; je peut vous comprendre beaucoup mieux que Google translate, bien sûr!

Hi there !

winke.gif

Congratulations my friend for your work, I would also like to test your SSSE3 emulator with my Phenom II X6.

I also share the view of Theconnatic, please make your development here in front please.

Thanks for the warm welcome :pirate2:

Since there is interest in a test build, here it is.Run the enclosed testcase program and let me know what fails (about 4 or so..)

http://www.2shared.c...ernelssse3.html

EDIT: Forgot to add, this is for 10.6.8 and will run 32bit only for now.. calling conventions are a bit different on 64 i think

-- Sinetek

• Like 1

Since there is interest in a test build, here it is.Run the enclosed testcase program and let me know what fails (about 4 or so..)

EDIT: Forgot to add, this is for 10.6.8 and will run 32bit only for now.. calling conventions are a bit different on 64 i think

-- Sinetek

Can you upload to MediaFire or somewhere else? I can't download from 2shared

Thanks

Hi there !

I'm really happy to hear someone could finally make it! :)

I have few test rigs here for some serious testin', now downloading your kernel and trying to boot the 10.6.8. :)

See my sig for my 2 comps, I also have a few older Intel laptops and Celeron / Pentium 4 desktops to test with. :)

Source would be cool too ;)

I hope it is okay to upload a mirror. I'll remove it if you ask.

-- Sinetek

hi Slackware,

Thank you for uploading

I must first install snow leopard so I can test your work. I will contact you then.

Hi Gils,

can you test whether SSSE3 emulator works?

Gils, but the CPU FX6100 is not the right test-CPU to test the SSSE3 emulator, your CPU no needs SSSE3 emulator.

Hi IiTZ ShAnE , have you done the test on your AMD Athlon II X2? If so, with what result?

hey !!

voici le rapport kernel_log

je ne sais pas si SSSE fonctionne mais tout les jeux d'instructions du processeur sont reconnu !!!

http://www.envoyerce...1354231367.html

Le fichier demandé n'existe pas.

--->>Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: Enabling SSSE3 emulator. Size 5272 should be less than 4096.

but It is important to know whether the SSSE3 emu works

3fkonfetti.gifis this a Nobel Prize assessment or a fake?nooo.gif

I think it works, as you pointed out, it is present on two lines.

il nous faut l'avis de TheConnactic .

également , je n'ai jamais vu un processeur AMD aussi bien reconnu !!??

Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: CPU identification: AMD FX™-6100 Six-Core Processor

Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 PCLMULQDQ MON SSSE3 CX16 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 POPCNT AES XSAVE AVX1.0

Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: HTT: 6 cores per package; 6 logical cpus per package

Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: CPU extended features: SYSCALL XD 1GBPAGE EM64T LAHF RDTSCP TSCI

bye Gils, i go to bed , thx for testing

Hello, Sinetek!

I still didn't have time to do a clean 10.6.8 installation to test your kernel properly. I'm looking forward to it.

But we have already reports of success, so congratulations!

I would ask your for the source code: i want to compile a Lion (Mountain Lion would be better, but it will have to wait for a 64-bit optimized emulator) to see if we get a functional user land with it (that is, working 64-bit apps like the Finder). Also looking forward for it.

Thank you: you're making history here.

Hi, Gilles!

Good to hear that sinetek's ssse3 kernel worked for you. Could you check for me if can open 32-bit applications? I know, i know, it's a 32-bit kernel, but if the ssse3 emulator is really working like it should, we'll have 64-bit user land.

Thank you!

I think it works, as you pointed out, it is present on two lines.

il nous faut l'avis de TheConnactic .

également , je n'ai jamais vu un processeur AMD aussi bien reconnu !!??

Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: CPU identification: AMD FX™-6100 Six-Core Processor

Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 HTT SSE3 PCLMULQDQ MON SSSE3 CX16 SSE4.1 SSE4.2 POPCNT AES XSAVE AVX1.0

Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: HTT: 6 cores per package; 6 logical cpus per package

Nov 30 00:28:45 localhost kernel[0]: CPU extended features: SYSCALL XD 1GBPAGE EM64T LAHF RDTSCP TSCI

Deltac0 is the best !!

:yoji:

:soldiers:

:thumbsup_anim:

Don't thank me, thank Slackware / Sinetek

;)

Using Sinetek's kernel with 10.6.8 AMD Athlon 4000+ -> Boots well. However, testcase -> "Illegal instruction", but this can be caused by missing some other instrcution sets than SSSE3. I'll try with my Phenom II 965 as soon as I get SL installed on that machine.

Hi IiTZ ShAnE , have you done the test on your AMD Athlon II X2? If so, with what result?

Will test later on today, at college till the afternoon. Think progress is being made. I've been trying to port x64 kexts to work on x86 but no luck.

Okay update post,

I got rid of all the errors here, at least i have found the actual "oopses" and still have to fix them in the code.

Here's the state, to be clear,

10.6.8 Kernel.

There are 4 modes with XNU :

SSSE3 is running well in >>>> 32 BITS <<<< mode. That means you boot >>> without "-force64" <<<. This does not give you the ability to run 64-bit processes however.

2. >>>> 64 BITS <<<< in a 386 Kernel is not working at present. This will require a bit of headbanging, mostly because I have to know how that 64-bit kernel is started and how functions are called and probably fighting with the compiler (Apple's compilers, I won't start about it.......)

2.5 Right now, the SSSE3 emu doesn't get loaded up properly for 32-bit code either under this mode, but from my point of view I don't see major roadblocks. This is a bit like point 2 actually.

=== TLDR; 10.7 support in arch=i386 up to here. ===

3. For now, 64-BITS Kernel does NOT boot on my test machine, so this is obviously not going to help..... I am not sure what to do with that. A lot of the low level code seems a tiny bit different than the i386 kernel, so it could be anything really. I think it's doable given that the kernel runs on my machine.. Mobo could be a problem?

4. Running 32-bit applications from a 64-bit kernel. I don't expect roadblocks there.

=== TLDR; 10.8 support with arch=x86_64 ===

ABOUT THE SOURCE, yes, my goal is to make the source available. Wouldn't have been able to do this without ANV/Kaitek/meklord/qoopz patches, so thanks go to them also.

take care,

-- Sinetek

System booted fine using your kernel,

Nov 30 16:32:09 localhost kernel[0]: rtclock_init: Taking bus ratio path 3 (AMD Phenom)
Nov 30 16:32:09 localhost kernel[0]: CPU identification: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 215 Processor
Nov 30 16:32:09 localhost kernel[0]: ACPI: SSDT @ 0xe7fb4840/0x0458 (v001 HPQOEM SLIC-CPC 0x00000001 AMD  0x00000001)

Gils DO you mind translating your stuff into english before you post it !!! so everybody gets to read it !!!!

:worried_anim:

TX and well done Sinetek

Yea, it isn't necessary to translate, but it would be pretty good... Now we have to translate everything by ourselves to understand something. :D

hello,

I corrected the last posts, google translation is not very developed, I try not to use too colorful French, any time there are still some errors or misunderstanding. If you agree, I will post in both languages ​​(English / French).

Unfortunately if you do not agree, my score in this forum will not make sense to understand that the registration will lapse InsanelyMac aimed as helping my level of kernel development.

Thank you for keeping me Current

bonjour ,

j'ai corrigé les derniers posts , google traduction n'est pas très au point , j'essayes de ne pas utiliser un français trop imagé , toute fois il subsiste quelques erreurs ou incompréhension . Si vous êtes d'accord , j'afficherai dans les deux langues (anglais/français) .

Malheureusement si vous n'êtes pas d'accord , ma participation à ce forum n'aura aucun sens y comprit l'inscription de Insanelymac qui sera caduc ayant pour but que d'aider à mon niveau au développement d'un kernel .

Merci de me tenir au courrant

Hi Gils, it is entirely in whatever language you write, stay the way you are.

Hallo mein Freund Gils, es ist völlig Egal in welcher Sprache Du schreibst, bleib so wie du bist. :wink2:

Allô mon ami Gils, il est complètement égal tu dans quelle langue écrit, reste à l'instar de tu est.

Hola mi amigo Gils, está completamente escrito en cualquier idioma, permanecer como eres.

Привет мой товарищ Gils, это - вы полностью неважно в которых язык исковые заявления, остается как и вы.

:thumbsup_anim:

Également, j'aime bien voir de la diversité languagière sur les forums :-) C'est mon hobby les langues à vrai dire.

Ok back to things people actually care about, I have completed the i386 part, everything is Kosher. However, 64-bit is a chore. I have more or less made an attack plan for it, and know roughly how to write what's needed, but I'm missing some crucial diagnostic tools I had access to in 32-bit paradise land.

greetings from Quebec,

-- Sinetek

• Like 1

Également, j'aime bien voir de la diversité languagière sur les forums :-) C'est mon hobby les langues à vrai dire.

Ok back to things people actually care about, I have completed the i386 part, everything is Kosher. However, 64-bit is a chore. I have more or less made an attack plan for it, and know roughly how to write what's needed, but I'm missing some crucial diagnostic tools I had access to in 32-bit paradise land.

greetings from Quebec,

-- Sinetek

Hi Sinetek,

First of all thank you for your consent to the wonderful variety of different languages ​​and the good news of your progress.

What exactly do you mean by diagnostic tools? different CPUs?, If that is, we do not see it as serious problems.

Because many users who visit this site we also have various AMD CPUs and can test. The feedback is very important so that they appropriately to the error messages can make your adjustment to the kernel.