iTunes 7 - Politics

JustInSane

iTunes 7 bugs premeditated?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Did Apple deliberately cripple iTunes 7 to frustrate hackintosh users?

• Yes
    • No

22 posts in this topic

There's been some suspicion that Apple deliberately crippled iTunes to break hackintosh users. I don't believe this is the case. When Apple announced the migration to intel, they said up front that they would not take any actions to prevent osx from running on unsupported machines. It appears that they simply began to write code that takes advantage of more of the features of the hardware they sell.

That's what I would like to believe, anyway.

Would a memory error be typical for an SSE3 compiled binary that's executed on an SSE2 machine?

[uPDATE]BTW, it looks like the beginning of leaving Jaguar users behind. I could only find a Panther or later distro of iTunes 7. This also appears to be the case for the most recent Quicktime version.

I think that Steve Jobs & Co are sending us a message. I have the sneeky suspicion that Leopard is'nt going to be so easy to hack like Tiger. And this is the perfect way to prove that to us. I'd bet that they let Tiger be so easily hacked, in order to give us all a taste of OS X and the way a Mac works. And when the "gates" close, we will seriously consider buying a Mac. I for one would. I'd buy a black iMac, if there were such a thing...

Let's not forget the history with the Mac clones which were legaly produced many years ago, and which Steve was very carefull to kill.

looks like the easiest way to update to QT and iTunes 7, is to spend 90 on a cpu with SSE3. :)

i was looking for some help yesterday from someone with sse2. here is what i have found for sure so far. Maxxuss sse3 emaultor seems only to emulate 3 of the 13 sse3 instructions. besides that his patch patches various routines that are machine spefic in the commpage which holds implementations to routines commonly used by programs, that are optimized for you machine.

that being said, i have been looking through itunes and have failed to find an sse3 instruction so i think my dissaseembly program is to blame. i will use otool later tonight and find out if itunes uses any of the non emulated sse3 instructions.

quixos i have to talk to you about obtaining some really old patches like circa 10.4.1 days. drop me a pm so we can figure out a way to communitcate

out

• 3 weeks later...
There's been some suspicion that Apple deliberately crippled iTunes to break hackintosh users. I don't believe this is the case. When Apple announced the migration to intel, they said up front that they would not take any actions to prevent osx from running on unsupported machines.

You've got it the other way around. Apple said that would not take any actions to prevent Windows from running on their machines. Of course, this later changed (in a positive way) when they released Boot Camp.

You've got it the other way around. Apple said that would not take any actions to prevent Windows from running on their machines. Of course, this later changed (in a positive way) when they released Boot Camp.

I meant what I said. Apple said they would take no action to prevent OS/X from running on unsupported intels, when it made the intel announcement that was discussed on the Engadget podcast. Speculations were made at that point that Apple unofficially intended for hacked versions to propagate in the interest of promoting OS X - perhaps which would be followed by releases that are more strict.. who knows.

What you're saying may be true simultaneously.

I'm confused... easy i know.. but...

I have iTunes 7 and QT7.1.3 on a SSE2 P4 working fine. i.e. no SSE3 support.

What's not working and I'll try it on my install.

Running natively?

Can you tell us some more about your configuration? What video card are you using?

There is a way to run itunes 7.0 but via rosseta.... look.

First in terminal go to /applications folder and type this command:

ditto -arch ppc iTunes.app iTunesPPC.app

now on Applications you have 2 itunes, one with the prohibited symbol (ppc) and the other without symbol (universal) . now show pakage contents of the 2 apps and copy contents/macos/itunes (ppc) on contents/macos folder of the universal version of itunes. Works ok!

sorry for my english. I'm from spain :blink:

There is a way to run itunes 7.0 but via rosseta.... look.

First in terminal go to /applications folder and type this command:

ditto -arch ppc iTunes.app iTunesPPC.app

now on Applications you have 2 itunes, one with the prohibited symbol (ppc) and the other without symbol (universal) . now show pakage contents of the 2 apps and copy contents/macos/itunes (ppc) on contents/macos folder of the universal version of itunes. Works ok!

sorry for my english. I'm from spain :D

Many thanks Danilp - that worked on my 895 chipset Mac. Great stuff!!

Howard

Also in the thread on hackint0sh it was mentiuoned that the Maxxuss patch which converts SSE3 ---> SSE2 instructions only converts two instructions as that is all that Apple were currently using at the time. So if anyone is competent at that sort of thing they could have a go at adding some more instructions - as many as there are SSE2 equivalents of anyway.

You are welcome! ;)

For me, Danilp trick didn't work (AMD64-SSE2). I downloaded iTunes 6.0.4 to revert to an older version that did work. But now I can't get iTunes off my system completely. That is, the installer of whatever iTunes version detects iTunes is already on my system and therefore tells me that there 'is nothing to install'.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to install an older iTunes (or any) version?