89 posts in this topic

Well, I can't say for certain, but the front side bus can go wonk when over clocked. This could cause spurious results between boot processes.

CPU-Z shows 1396 MGHz core speed with a multiplier of 7,yet, your sig. shows 4.2 GHz.

AMD FX-4100 Clock Speed: 3.6GHz Turbo: 3.8GHz

I am oc'd to 4.2 ghz from the 3.6 Mac even pics up on this.post-966952-0-78211800-1332397805_thumb.jpg

And it works on 10.6.4 as you can see in the pic. I had the same exact issue when I first installed osx. If you look back on the page I fixed it by copying the /S/L/E/*ATA* from the install disc of SL to the /S/L/E of my hdd and set the permissions through terminal. That fixed the problem with my initial install.

So I have 2 installs of SL on my HDD. this one from the pic is my stable 10.6.4 that I keep having to boot with the modcd :( but it's stable and the other partition I just updated to 10.6.7 and ran into the same issue but the ata directory from the install wouldn't fix that. I tried updating that to 10.6.8 and same exact issue.

I also can't get the 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 kernels from nawcom to do anything except KP.

But I can get the boot to not KP and just sit on the firewire security bulls***, with using the test7 kernel.

So maybe I need to find a way to get the same file from the updated version but I can't seem to do anything with the updates except open the .pkg to install. Can't find a directory...kinda stumped on where I can get the same file but for the newer version.

If you have the 10.6.7 combo try Pacifist to extract the files you need.

Try ATIATA.kext or SB700.kext

The "firewire security/power conservation blabla" messages are normally not important, they're just status messages.

If you disable firewire in your BIOS the drivers for it won't load but it'll probably halt at around the same spot, just with a different message..

this is just getting frustrating, tried the sb700.kext and now I hang on appleserverworksata on ixp700. Back to the sb700 not working...SON_OF_A_________-

thanks pooky, I didn't see the serverworks in there. I'm gonna go try to hunt for that

I'm thinking if I mess the kexts up too badly I can always clone my working 10.6.4 back to that drive

post-966952-0-74960200-1332439328_thumb.jpg

This is trying to boot into single user "-s"

I can't find the severworksata so where else could it be?

Hm..see if waiting produces any more messages.

Is there any way you can boot to the GUI? You would look in /Extra/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns to find the AppleServerWorkSATA.kext or whatever it's called.

it's not in there, could that be the problem.

It can sit for 30+ minutes and the last line is the firewire.

Before it would say still waiting for root. it won't now.

You're using modbin_kernel?

Apparently launchd is not running...see if you can find anything via Google. If not try a new installation and see if that changes anything.

I know I haven't been a help –– but maybe this could be the ticket.

If you clone your 10.6.4, since you will be back to square one anyway, download combo update 10.6.8 from apple.

Get this zip: legacy_kernel-10.6.8.v2.pkg

This zip: IOPCIFamily_AppleACPIPlatform_Apple80211Monitor_10.6.7

Install the kexts with Kext Wizard to S/L/E.

You could put them in your Extra folder as well.

Be sure to install the legacy kernel before you restart your computer after the combo is installed. There should be some docs in the legacy package to explain further what you will need to do with it to make it work.

The combo may install a network plug-in you don't need and it could disable your card simply remove the new plug-in and you should be good to go.

It worked for both my AMD set-ups, but, I am a bit behind you as far as bleeding edge goes. Also, I am on nVidia chipset, not ATI. Mileage may vary.

AMD Utility will be a big help too.

The legacy kernel from nawcom gives me a kp. the modbin_kernel on the modcd gives me a KP. the mach_kernel.test7 (renamed to seven_kernel and string changed in O.C.B.Plist) does not give me a kp, it will get me to the appleserverworksata. But when I get back I will reload.

I did get the 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 combo updates from the apple website and tried both, both stick at the appleserverworksata. The original install stuck there as well, but I was able to use the terminal on the installer to copy the /*ATA* from the install DVD to my /S/L/E and set permissions and that got me past the serverworksata freeze and got me the original install working, but can't seem to find that fix again for the 10.6.7 or 10.6.8 updates.

And you have been a help, you've given me other ideas to try and it's much better then monologuing with myself.

• Like 1

sorry with the legacy_kernel it just reboots.

Let me try to clarify as I think I confused myself and didn't explain right: so I cloned my working 10.6.4 over to my other partition to start over.

So I boot into the os x I'm going to tinker with and update to 10.6.8. I already have these downloaded so I install the 10.6.8 update. before reboot I open the legacy kernel 10.8 installer pkg. when I try to install it fails halfway through...hmm ok. so I recloned and started over again. this time from my working 10.6.4 (stable not messed with) I install the 10.6.8 update to my other partition(tinkering partition) once that is done i close the installer(since it doesn't ask for a reboot) I open the legacy kernel installer and install to the tinkering partition. It install successfully. I install the multi_biotch with only the fakesmc and chimera, classic theme, success.

So now that's done I remove the modcd from my cdplayer (since I still have to boot with it (can't seem to get it to boot from HDD

reboot, brings me to chameleon, I pick the updated partition and type -v. restarts...i type hd(0,3)/extra/modbin_kernel -v -f (cause I copied the modbin_kernel to that folder and it runs through the kexts, loads the kernel and stops at the appleserverworksata.

As an experiment i tried booting into my stable partition with the chameleon that's on my hdd. it automatically loads the modbin_kernel cause that's in the boot list for that partition and then I get a kernel panic and the last line of the panic says something about appleintelcpupowermanagement.

Now this got me thinking, even when I boot with modcd to my good partition (the only way I can) the last line I see before it loads the blue screen is something about appleintelcpupowermanagement isn't loaded correctly or something is wrong with it, but it goes too fast to read it.

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement should not load on your system, it only works with the vanilla kernel. It should be blacklisted by the patched kernel in order to prevent it from loading.

If the last thing you see is a blue screen, try using the other monitor output on your video card. Use a DVI-VGA adapter if you need to.

after the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement I get the blue screen for like 2-5 seconds then my desktop loads. That's only the 10.6.4 version. Not using a patched kernel for that one.

Could any of this have to do with the reason that the time on my bios keeps resetting. I first thought it was windows, but then I looked at the clock in my bios. It keeps jumping 7 hours ahead. But my mac OS has the time perfect.....

Just when I learn one thing, 10 more things pop up that I have no clue about.

If he doesn't have Null, that's why AppleIntel would load. Go ahead and delete AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement from /System/Library/Extensions.

Your BIOS resets can be fixed either by a DSDT patch or the kext ElliotForceLegacyRTC.kext.

I think putting your CPU clock settings back to defaults for now would help. Just until we get OS X working. :)

That modbin kernel won't be able to run 10.6.8; the kernel version is 10.0.0, you need 10.8.0. Google "modbin_kernel 10.8.0" w/out the quotes and see what you can find.

I still don't understand why the legacy kernel keeps rebooting, unless it doesn't like your over clock. Many AMD users use the legacy kernel.

You can also look up and see if there are any other 10.6.8 AMD kernels available (AnV has a kernel, I believe).