Introduce yourself.

Alessandro17
5,224 posts in this topic

Hi - from yet another Newbie!

Aged (some would say antique!) human being who got hooked on computer technology just before the very 1st IBM PCs hit the world. Was there at the very start of the micro-computer revolution when there was a vast array of new I.T. hardware platforms, OS's, and software revolutions hitting the shops almost monthly - they were days of pure joy for the enthusiast. Now, after 20+ years of working in I.T. principally as as techie and retailer, I find myself here - searching for clues as to how to make my trusty old Windows PC shed it's skin.  I want it to be reborn as a Mac but at the moment I think there's more chance of it killing me through stress as I grapple with an environment that's as alien to me as Marxist ideology. I'd like to get there in the end, hopefully before I start pushing up daisies!  Know any budding mentors?

My name is XtremeHacker and I've installed Mountain Lion on MSI G31TM P21 With Audio and Network. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello new friends!

I'm delighted to see the AMD forums here. I'm a developer, in the application space - not so much (yet) on things like OS X kernels.

I've been at this for 30+ years.

I'm dependent on a trusty old AMD 955 Phenom II quad core pushed to 3.7 Ghz (it can do 3.9 in the winter, but my purpose in overclocking is increased value, not bleeding edge results). It's not much, but it has 32 Gbytes of RAM and 9 Tbytes of storage.

It does drive 3 monitors, though.

So...I'm using OS X in VMware as an XCode development platform, primarily targeting iOS apps (portable C++, also targeting Android, Tizen, anything else with an app store - even, maybe, Windows 8/9 if they get their act together).

At any one moment I'll have VM's running in Linux, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, maybe an old XP, OS X 10.8.4 and now OS X 10.9.4.

YES....ALL AT THE SAME FRIGGIN' TIME (give or take...at least 2 or 3 at once). Except the XP, of course.

The 10.8.4 has run well for nearly 2 years, XCode versions from about 4.2 through 5.0, now upgrading to 5.1.1.

Had a 10.6.8 with XCode 3.2.6 that was smooth as silk and rock stable before that (might not even shut it down for 4 or 5 days at a time).

Now, however, we (app developers) all have to consider iOS 8 targets, and for that we must have XCode 6.0.1 at a minimum. The app store won't accept anything new built with XCode less than 5.1 (and I expect they'll move THAT up a notch before long).

So...I MUST find a way to get XCode 6 up and running, and it takes a while.

So far the OS X 10.9.4 seems to run just fine. XCode 6.0.1, however, crashes and burns - which is quite a puzzle.

Hope to bump into any and all of you around here.

Hi everyone,

Just saying hello! I joined because on a whim about two weeks ago, I decided to build a hackintosh while I was sick and off from work. A few days later, I have everything running like a dream. I needed a project to occupy myself and got it done a lot quicker than I expected. In any case, I hope to be more involved and I still have plenty to learn.

Cheers!

Heya folks! I am newly joined and have looked over the rules and such. It seems this is the place to say hello. 

I'm a Californian retired and living in Thailand. I'm also a very long time Mac user and WoW player. My 2010 iMac is just starting to have issues keeping up with the latest graphics changes in WoW and I'm thinking of upgrading to a new machine. I am sort of intrigued with the idea of building my own Mac as Apple does not seem to want to build a gaming machine, IE something with the graphics oomph for games, the flexibility to upgrade components like graphics cards, but not a full force mega workstation. Plus buying components one at a time and then assembling them is something that would be much easier on my limited budget. 

Being in Thailand there is a ton of components available for purchase at great prices, Having a computer built here is actually way more common than buying one off the shelf, though the big issue is whether the brand stamped on the component's box is legit or not :/

Anyway, I hope I'm in the right place, I'll be reading up before asking any really specific questions.

Hi,

My name is Andre and I'm new on this community and on Mac systems!

I found myself planing to build an hackintosh system, based on AMD... and here I am!

At the moment, I've a full runing system, apart a few bits!

I hope to learn a lot under this community!

Hello, my name is Grahame

I'm from Vancouver, Canada and i'm 50years old.

I'm known on other forums asUncle_Tubbie

I have been planning around with a mac Mini now for three weeks. I learned how to do everything by reading here at InsanelyMac. Both my hardware upgrades and installing OS X 10.5

So thank you everyone. :-)