{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

Think it has been mentioned a few pages back, not read anything regarding a fix for it though. / other than installing windows in legacy mode..

And how exactly do I do that? Installer always tells me that windows can't be installed on a GPT disk if I boot the installer from DVD or USB storage device or it installs as EFI if I boot the UEFI entry of my USB, though the first post says that booting from DVD solves the problem

I will try to look for a workaround

And how exactly do I do that? Installer always tells me that windows can't be installed on a GPT disk if I boot the installer from DVD or USB storage device or it installs as EFI if I boot the UEFI entry of my USB, though the first post says that booting from DVD solves the problem

Make a hybrid GPT/MBR table then you will be able to install Windows legacy (though it's not a good solution) http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/hybrid.html

I think if I recall when I did it on my probook 4530 I installed from DVD, this was windows 7, afraid I can't remember what order I installed it though, but it didn't cause any unwanted issues / effects so if audio on windows is important, might be your only solution for now.

The ideal solution is obviously a fix for windows audio in UEFI, but I think its bios mod related, certainly seems to be, so it might be a long wait

ps, page 1 indicates install windows from DVD in legacy mode.. probably due to this issue? (it should create MBR during install without errors on GPT from memory, I might have left a part of the HDD unformatted, can you disable UEFI mode in bios whilst installing on this laptop? that might help)

Got Ubuntu 14.04 in UEFI, Windows 8.1 in legacy all booting from clover, hybrid MBR actually works!

but now Mavericks won't boot and kernel panics -.-

Edit: fixed it, everything is working now

Might be worth just writing how you did it for others to copy without the problems, which order you installed, how you partitioned etc :)

Okay,

First I brought 3 USB flash drives, prepared Windows and Ubuntu with rufus and prepared Mavericks just like the old tutorial that required the dmg file till the bootloader thing, instead of chameleon I used clover of course from the current first post removing the 10.10 kexts and putting the 10.9 ones

Then I booted mavericks in UEFI partitioned the whole drive in GPT, after that booted ubuntu in UEFI using try before installing and got gparted running, in the partition table the EFI folder was there, so I added 5 partitions as follows Windows, Data, Ubuntu, swap, Mavericks all formatted with their corresponding file systems

Done with gparted, now I followed the hybrid MBR tutorial found here, launching gdisk, hybridizing windows and data partitions, both got 07 for ntfs, windows got a boot flag, saying yes to place the EFI first and to protect the other partitions just like the tutorial used 0c

You may of course run gparted and gdisk from any linux distro but ubuntu installer came with them so it was much handy to use it

It doesn't matter now your order of installation but anyway I started with mavericks because I can control clover from there then continued with ubuntu, this could be tricky but grub loader will automatically load instead of clover and to fix this:

Press F12 and boot clover then boot Mavericks then download clover configurator, mount the EFI partition and go to the clover folder, copy cloverx64.efi to the ubuntu folder renaming it to grubx64.efi, you should also rename the existing grubx64.efi to anything else maybe just grub.efi, then add a custom entry with ubuntu's path pointing to

\EFI\ubuntu\grub64.efi 

or whatever you renamed it to

You should also go and set Legacy to LegacyBiosDefault instead of PBR and in GUI to scan for legacy entries

Just go on and install windows in legacy mode either by booting from USB storage device in the F12 menu or by picking the legacy entry in clover

• Like 1

Okay,

First I brought 3 USB flash drives, prepared Windows and Ubuntu with rufus and prepared Mavericks just like the old tutorial that required the dmg file till the bootloader thing, instead of chameleon I used clover of course from the current first post removing the 10.10 kexts and putting the 10.9 ones

Then I booted mavericks in UEFI partitioned the whole drive in GPT, after that booted ubuntu in UEFI using try before installing and got gparted running, in the partition table the EFI folder was there, so I added 5 partitions as follows Windows, Data, Ubuntu, swap, Mavericks all formatted with their corresponding file systems

Done with gparted, now I followed the hybrid MBR tutorial found here, launching gdisk, hybridizing windows and data partitions, both got 07 for ntfs, windows got a boot flag, saying yes to place the EFI first and to protect the other partitions just like the tutorial used 0c

You may of course run gparted and gdisk from any linux distro but ubuntu installer came with them so it was much handy to use it

It doesn't matter now your order of installation but anyway I started with mavericks because I can control clover from there then continued with ubuntu, this could be tricky but grub loader will automatically load instead of clover and to fix this:

Press F12 and boot clover then boot Mavericks then download clover configurator, mount the EFI partition and go to the clover folder, copy cloverx64.efi to the ubuntu folder renaming it to grubx64.efi, you should also rename the existing grubx64.efi to anything else maybe just grub.efi, then add a custom entry with ubuntu's path pointing to

\EFI\ubuntu\grub64.efi 

or whatever you renamed it to

You should also go and set Legacy to LegacyBiosDefault instead of PBR and in GUI to scan for legacy entries

Just go on and install windows in legacy mode either by booting from USB storage device in the F12 menu or by picking the legacy entry in clover

Thanks

Hopefully Mohamed will see your post and create a link to it on page 1 :)

It didn't work because ACPI tables are no longer in IOREG and your DSDT table header cannot be parsed by voodoo. ADD RM,oem-id and RM,oem-table-id via _DSM to your PS2K device and this won't be a problem anymore.

Thanks.

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

أخ محمد أكيد أنت تعرف أن النسخة النهائية من النظام نزلت

ياريت تقول لنا تجربتك معها وهل سيكون هناك تحديث لهذا الموضوع وتعريفات جديدة لها؟

أم أن الشرح والتعريفات متوافقة مع النسخة النهائية؟

OS X 10.10 Final Build 14A389 is released,

please tell us if you install it successfully and if there any change to this guide to make it suitable for the final release

Installed the final app store version, everything is working but sound, maybe it's because of one of my customizations during installation

anyone got no sound as well?

Edit: nevermind, another installation got it to work

by the way I have no artifacts now even without switchresx

Edited by Madamido

"And is there any way to get my fans to run normally under Windows 8.1 now with the patched bios?

They've been going at full speed ever since I finished patching the bios with the latest one from Florin's webpage."

Is this really an issue? Has anyone faced it besides Kroaton?

Also, I want to know if i can revert back to original dell bios in case i don't like the patches one, will that be possible?

I would greatly appreciate if somebody can help me here. 

================================================================================================

Also, I would like to know if i can use windows platform to prepare my USB for installing Mac OS X. Is it possible?

"And is there any way to get my fans to run normally under Windows 8.1 now with the patched bios?

They've been going at full speed ever since I finished patching the bios with the latest one from Florin's webpage."

Is this really an issue? Has anyone faced it besides Kroaton?

Also, I want to know if i can revert back to original dell bios in case i don't like the patches one, will that be possible?

I would greatly appreciate if somebody can help me here. 

================================================================================================

Also, I would like to know if i can use windows platform to prepare my USB for installing Mac OS X. Is it possible?

I have Just patched my bios into this file provided, and my Laptop fan is running at full speed, all the time. When my laptop restarts it has a message.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbi2emf0q6qhpef/IMG_20141018_011355.jpg?dl=0

When I go to diagnostics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qct62uycu0w03rv/IMG_20141018_011721.jpg?dl=0

As soon as I press FN+x then everything goes back to normal. Dell Logo pops up etc.

Also my bios have no boot UEFI boot option so I can't even boot to install. I did indeed program all blocks, but I think something must have messed up with my boot menu of my bios.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieqxi6danllna7n/IMG_20141018_011550.jpg?dl=0

I have Just patched my bios into this file provided, and my Laptop fan is running at full speed, all the time. When my laptop restarts it has a message.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbi2emf0q6qhpef/IMG_20141018_011355.jpg?dl=0

When I go to diagnostics.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qct62uycu0w03rv/IMG_20141018_011721.jpg?dl=0

As soon as I press FN+x then everything goes back to normal. Dell Logo pops up etc.

Also my bios have no boot UEFI boot option so I can't even boot to install. I did indeed program all blocks, but I think something must have messed up with my boot menu of my bios.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieqxi6danllna7n/IMG_20141018_011550.jpg?dl=0

Did you use the following post as a guide to update bios?

poaZZGh.png

Have you tried going back to the original bios? The one available at n5110 support page at dell website?

I used the bios file provided from this guide, yes.

I was going to update my bios from the Official Dell page, but I was concerned if I will be able to reflash again, since it is like doing a downgrade into bios.

If i am not wrong, the bios from guide is same as that of the original except its unlocked. I think you should wait for response of someone who has gone through this process.

It would be great if some user can share a work around to that problem of fan and bios option. 

I think OP, Mohamed Khairy, should have some information on this considering he has done it himself. I hope he will see these replies and help us here with this problem.

Khairy has asked in his installation guide to use this bios: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/42098746/N5110_bios/a.htm  Its all getting confused, may be that's the version to be used prior to os x installation.

As I mentioned above yes. None of the operating system, even the diagnostic of the laptop have the control of the fan unless I push fn+x on the keyboard everything goes back to normal.

The problem for my case is not the fan (since its fixxed with fn+x) but the boot menu.

Edit:

The file downloaded from dell website does not let me update hence it says its the same version.

Looking for alternatives....

Edit2:

I downgraded my bios to official A09 by dell's site

updated into A11 official dell again

and after that, flashed florin9doi's.

Bios detects UEFI, just booted up into yosemite install

• Like 1

Edit2:

I downgraded my bios to official A09 by dell's site

updated into A11 official dell again

and after that, flashed florin9doi's.

Bios detects UEFI, just booted up into yosemite install

How is the fan problem now? and have you experienced that issue in windows:

""And is there any way to get my fans to run normally under Windows 8.1 now with the patched bios?

The same question comes from me, do i have to manually update (that is - putting files over original file (whom I downloaded from AppStore) like i did it with Mavericks) or just tap on update icon and let it do it stuff by itself?

Thanks for answer - :) Hope it will improve compatibility between my iPhone 4s and "Wanabe Mac" :).

Hello 

i need a help//

can you help me with installing osx ? 

my computer n5110 i7-2630q gf525m intel3000 

i haven't osx to create unstall-usb-flash-drive , 

i'm try to creat it with windows tools , like TRANSMAC , but can't run installer correctly, maximum that i had it's a qudro-devided image with installer start on my screen, all on my screen is very small. i cant install it.

(sory if i'm not correct on english)

Hello 
i need a help//
can you help me with installing osx ? 
my computer n5110 i7-2630q gf525m intel3000 
i haven't osx to create unstall-usb-flash-drive , 
i'm try to creat it with windows tools , like TRANSMAC , but can't run installer correctly, maximum that i had it's a qudro-devided image with installer start on my screen, all on my screen is very small. i cant install it.
(sory if i'm not correct on english)

you should use vmware with at least lion image

How is the fan problem now? and have you experienced that issue in windows:

""And is there any way to get my fans to run normally under Windows 8.1 now with the patched bios?

My fan runs at normal speed everywhere Mac OS or Windows.

The Fan problem was not an actual problem: Dell motherboards are equipped with a manufacturing mode which is used by Dell, allowing them to use special equipment in order to diagnose faulty hardware on motherboards.

After the update my motherboard switched into it (prolly by accident) because of a power failure: When I updated the BIOS and then restart, the laptop tried to power on and it failed, then switched into manufacturing mode, and powered on with a fan running at full speed.

The way I fixed it was by pressing FN+X keys on the keyboard when the laptop powers on.

There is a similar situation in DELL forums here  

EDIT : 

Since OS X Yosemite GM is released in App Store as well. Can we update to Yosemite if I am running Mavericks 10.9.5 ?

Did anyone update to Yosemite from Mavericks ? If yes what problems did you face ?

The same question comes from me, do i have to manually update (that is - putting files over original file (whom I downloaded from AppStore) like i did it with Mavericks) or just tap on update icon and let it do it stuff by itself?

Thanks for answer -  :) Hope it will improve compatibility between my iPhone 4s and "Wanabe Mac"  :).

I had mavericks as well but with chameleon bootloader and I switched into Yosemite EFI Clover - clean install. 

If you have a chameleon bootloader I would suggest to backup your stuff and make a clean install of Yosemite using EFI clover. It is way smoother and kextHassle-free.

Some old hardware problems I had with my screen brightness and my sleep mode are now solved probably because of clover.

Edited by Dalaranunion
  • Like 1

My fan runs at normal speed everywhere Mac OS or Windows.

Do you have any problems of audio in windows? I have read few pages back that audio stops working after the bios update. 

And one more thing, which post should i follow to patch my bios? The following one, or one by Mr. Khairy?

poaZZGh.png