{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

@radu

i compiled your latest update

but the customization on voodoops2voodoo info plist isn't loaded so the breakless keys doesn't work like brightness keys !.

had you fixed this ?

It didn't work because ACPI tables are no longer in IOREG and your DSDT table header cannot be parsed by voodoo. ADD RM,oem-id and RM,oem-table-id via _DSM to your PS2K device and this won't be a problem anymore.
  • Like 1

It didn't work because ACPI tables are no longer in IOREG and your DSDT table header cannot be parsed by voodoo. ADD RM,oem-id and RM,oem-table-id via _DSM to your PS2K device and this won't be a problem anymore.

it was working on 10.9 with clover but since 10.10 customization  doesn't work

will try it

i was renaming dell to apple to skip this problem before

the same problem :/

it appears that the code of customization through info.plist is broken under 10.10

i think that 

Hi,

I followed all the steps but whenever I boot in order to install mavericks 10.9.3, it's stuck at the apple logo with the spinning mouse.
In verbose mode, it stops at :

I080211Controller::dataLinkLayerAttachComplete(): adding AppleEFINVRAM notification
I080211Interface::efiNVRAMPublished():
AirPort; Link Down on en0. Reason 8 (disassociated because station leaving).
71.806921: setDISASSOC from ATH_INTERFACE_CLASS disconnectVap
71.815846: switchVap from 1 to 1
71.840712: perfromCountryCodeOperation: Not vonnected, scan in progress[0]
71.860120: setWOW_PARAMETERS:wowevents = 2(1) 

Same thing with -f -v.

I tried to boot with both -x and -v but it keeps rebooting at "System uptime in nanoseconds: 2468168264" (something like that).

My specs are : i7 2670QM, nvidia 525m, Atheros AR5B195 (taken from a toshiba laptop, 'cause i had the intel one; it works perfectly with windows 8.1).
The HDD isn't empty.

Any solution ?

it was working on 10.9 with clover but since 10.10 customization  doesn't work

will try it

i was renaming dell to apple to skip this problem before

the same problem :/

it appears that the code of customization through info.plist is broken under 10.10

i think that 

You don't understand what I'm saying ...

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K)
        {
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (Package (0x04)
                    {
                        "RM,oem-id",
                        "DELL",
                        "RM,oem-table-id",
                        "WN09"
                    }, Local0)
                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                Return (Local0)
            }
        }

Will solve all your problems ... 

You don't understand what I'm saying ... 

Scope (\_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K)
        {
            Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
            {
                Store (Package (0x04)
                    {
                        "RM,oem-id",
                        "DELL",
                        "RM,oem-table-id",
                        "WN09"
                    }, Local0)
                DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                Return (Local0)
            }
        }
Will solve all your problems ...

I did this already on KBC

Doesn't solve problem

If I post customization on defaults keyboard doesn't work

You are clearly doing something wrong. I had this with my DELL SNB-CPT profile not being loaded in Yosemite because there's no DSDT to extract the header. Adding DSM picked up my config immediately. Yours shouldn't be different...

OK

this is my dsdt and kext 

dsm method injected on KBC Device also tried on ps2 the same config not loaded

using latest clover rev 2809

Archive.zip

OK

this is my dsdt and kext 

dsm method injected on KBC Device also tried on ps2 the same config not loaded

using latest clover rev 2809

static OSString* getPlatformManufacturer()
{
    // allow override in PS2K ACPI device
    IORegistryEntry* reg = IORegistryEntry::fromPath("IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PS2K");
    if (reg) {
        OSString* id = OSDynamicCast(OSString, reg->getProperty("RM,oem-id"));
        reg->release();
        if (id)
            return id;
    }

static OSString* getPlatformProduct()
{
    IORegistryEntry* reg = IORegistryEntry::fromPath("IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PS2K");
    if (reg) {
        OSString* id = OSDynamicCast(OSString, reg->getProperty("RM,oem-table-id"));
        reg->release();
        if (id)
            return id;
    }

See what it's looking for in ACPI namespace?  A device named PS2K, while yours is named KBC .. just rename it.

• Like 2

static OSString* getPlatformManufacturer()
{
    if (reg) {
        OSString* id = OSDynamicCast(OSString, reg->getProperty("RM,oem-id"));
        reg->release();
        if (id)
            return id;
    }

static OSString* getPlatformProduct()
{
    if (reg) {
        OSString* id = OSDynamicCast(OSString, reg->getProperty("RM,oem-table-id"));
        reg->release();
        if (id)
            return id;
    }

See what it's looking for in ACPI namespace?  A device named PS2K, while yours is named KBC .. just rename it.

Thanks 

now it works

thought it will load info from device it will be loaded for it 

• Like 1

I mean that i thought that the kext will search about info on all of Dsdt or devices that will be loaded to it like KBC or ps2 not from spesfic device ps2k

Forget it :D

It could look to the provider for the "RM,oem*" properties, but it doesn't.

• Like 1

I have a question that the Dell touchpad work fine with multi touch and multi figner when we boot from usb flash for install. when install completed and boot to OSX without usb, the multi touch does not effect anymore ?

Also this Bios UEFI seem not combine with my Dell as previous version. at the UEFI version I alway get panic when "Clover screen" show up and hit enter so fast. I need wait about 20s from the Clover screen show up. I never got these issue on the previous version with chameleon boot.

One Question about dualboot Win 8.1 and Mavericks (Osx 10.9.4). So, I can boot into Osx just by pushing power button and leting it boot into "clover" bootloader, there i choose Osx, and it boots. But, to get into Win 8.1 I need to press F12 and choose to boot from "Network", then it boots up Win 8.1. 

How to put both OS into bootloader - "Clover", e.t.c. to boot it nicely w/o any button presing? 

Win and Osx are instaled on seperate HDD's, Osx is on SSD which is primary, Win on second (DVD spot).

Any suggestions?

Can I ask a question about the post-install script: After copying the EFI folder to EFI Partition and adding zlib files to AppleHDA, why does it have to copy 7 kexts to S/L/E while these kexts already exist in the copied EFI folder (/EFI/Clover/kexts) and will be injected at boot?

• Like 1

Can I ask a question about the post-install script: After copying the EFI folder to EFI Partition and adding zlib files to AppleHDA, why does it have to copy 7 kexts to S/L/E while these kexts already exist in the copied EFI folder (/EFI/Clover/kexts) and will be injected at boot?

you are right 

to me i disable injection and when want to inject kexts when there is problem do it  from clover GUI 

will add to post install instructions to disable kext injection  from config.plist

Hi guys, pls help me, as after i updated the bios, my dell cannot go into bios setting and booting windows or ubuntu. I have windows and ubuntu installed. now my laptop just went black after i switched on. I tried pressing f12 and esc, it doesnt do anything. 

Hi guys, pls help me, as after i updated the bios, my dell cannot go into bios setting and booting windows or ubuntu. I have windows and ubuntu installed. now my laptop just went black after i switched on. I tried pressing f12 and esc, it doesnt do anything. 

try to remove cmos battery and put it again or recover your bios

Hi mohamed khairy thx for the reply, I did the recovery bios update and everything is back to normal. Causing me to panic for a while there. I'll try again to reflash the modded bios and see whether I can install Yosemite or not. Thx a lot:)

• Like 1

you are right 

to me i disable injection and when want to inject kexts when there is problem do it  from clover GUI 

will add to post install instructions to disable kext injection  from config.plist

For the kext injection issue, just change the SystemParameters -> InjectKexts in config.plist to 'Detect', then Clover will only inject kexts when booting from USB (as there is no FakeSMC in kernelcache), and will not inject kexts after running the PostInstall script and KextUtility.

And here are some issues I got from the dualboot installation of Mavericks and Windows 8.1 (not Yosemite, I removed kexts in 10.10 folder and add similar kexts to 10.9 folder). They took me a couple of days to find out a temporary solution.

1. Sometimes I got the kernel panic when booting in verbose mode from USB. The error message was:

can't perform kext scan: no kext summary

When I booted normally (no arguments) from USB, sometimes it worked, other times I still got the same panic.

2. How can you install windows without UEFI booting when you partitioned the whole disk as GPT using Disk Utility, as legacy Windows installation only accepts MBR partitions. I have tried two ways of installing Windows, and here are some results I got:

a. UEFI way:

• If you install Mavericks first, partition the disk with Disk Utility and install Windows later, the Windows setup will automatically cut 128MB from your last partition to make a Microsoft Reserved partiton.

While if you install Windows first and partition the disk in Windows Setup, the setup will create, in sequential order, an EFI partition of 100MB, a recovery partition of 300MB, a Reserved partition of 128MB and the Primary partition to install Windows.

• If you install Windows later, to set Clover as UEFI first and default boot option, use EasyUEFI on Windows or bcfg in Clover UEFI Shell to move 'Clover OS X Boot' entry to the 1st position.
  • When I install Windows with UEFI booting, I got no audio on Windows 8.1 (audio still works on Mavericks). Here is the error message I got when I opened Device Manager and viewed the Properties of HDA Device:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

{Operation Failed}

The requested operation was unsuccessful

IMO, the issue may come from the UEFI BIOS, not Windows, because audio still works if I install Windows in legacy mode. I don't know if there is any solution for this problem, maybe Florin9doi can help us.

b. Legacy way (my temporary solution):

To install Windows 8.1 in legacy mode, I had to create a hybrid GPT/MBR partition table using this guide. I successfully installed Windows and got everything worked, including audio. But making Windows bootable from Clover was awful.

I had to manually add a custom Legacy entry to boot from Windows, because the automatic scanning function was terrible (it will add many legacy entries, each one corresponds with one of your NTFS partitions). Besides that, I had to set Boot -> Legacy to LegacyBiosDefault (entry 0) to make the custom entry bootable, as the two methods of PBR and PBRtest didn't work for me (will freeze or exit to Network boot).

For me, the best solution is to be able to install Windows in UEFI mode without having the audio issue, as the legacy way was too complicated. Hope Florin9doi or someone can solve this problem.

• Like 1

About injectkexts detect mode

I don't use it as it doesn't work as it should to be to me

So to me I inject kext when I need from clover GUI

About dual boot

I described what I did on Video

Partitioning using disk utility during setup using GPT making first partition for windows fat second for data fat third for osx hfs+

Then setup osx then windows

Here you have uefi for osx and legacy bios for windows when you exit clover or boot hard disk drive .

• Like 1