{Guide} DELL INSPIRON N5110

Mohamed Khairy

3,315 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I have updated for the newer bios mod and Finally i got ride of Yosemite and am on it right now, Something i just wanna to ask you guys about for some reason my laptop rebooting at it own :S i notice that happen after my screen sleep's i will watch it in the main time but did happened with any one here !

Yosemite are released already the final one there any new kext we gonna to modifying !

BTW i faced the full speed fan after the bios mod updated and i got ride of it with fn + x too it's back to normal atm

Thanks in advance

Those of you who are running on clover, are there any issues with updating clover to latest versions?

I have install the final version 10.10 on 10/17/2014, everything work fine for me on OSX except the magic mouse on bluetooth BCM94352HMB. some time at the statup I cannot connect magic mouse to bluetooth. I nerver got this on 10.9. so I guess maybe the kext is not compatible.

Also I cannot dual boot with my windows 8.1 beacause I have two HDD. windows on HDD, OSX 10.10 on SSD.

thanks to you i successfully installed 10.10 on my laptop.

but i have a problem i cant boot normally with clover it will keep loading for ever.

when i boot with verbose i get this screen and keeps loading for ever.

jWLO03c.jpg?1

but when i boot without caches and with injected kext it boots with some lags and wired trackpad behaviour.

my laptop (i7, Nvidia, dell wireless)

Its time to share some feedback about that bios mod.

So, I decided to install UEFI bios mod from the post #5, which completed successfully. But here is the thing, I did get that Fn+X message and when i typed that my laptop's fan went back to normal as it was prior to bios mod. Everything else is fine so far, UEFI is working *i guess* though i don't have much experience with UEFI.

Fn+X message has somehow stopped coming on its own after i restore defaults in the bios settings. I don't see any unlocked menus.

The only problem i have faced so far is that when i go into the bios settings, i don't see 'service tag' info, neither i see 'Dell' logo, all i see is Mr. Florin9do's some customized message at the top. Also, I don't see which keys i should type to enter bios settings or setup, Bios itself is working great but i was wondering if i have done something wrong because of which i am facing such issue.

I am using windows 8.1 right now, and there is no problem of sound. I want to keep it that way. The way i see it, i have two options:

1) Format whole drive as GPT (Audio will not work in windows)
2) Format HDD as Hybrid GPT/MBR. (Have some Disadvantages)
3) Use SSD as internal *GPT format* and HDD in caddy *MBR format*

Now, the ideal solution would be to use Clover+UEFI (as this setup is easy on future updates) while using MBR disk but i don't know if it will work. But if it does, i wont have any sound issues in windows.

I hope somebody could help me with this situation.

So, I decided to install UEFI bios mod from the post #5, which completed successfully. But here is the thing, I did get that Fn+X message and when i typed that my laptop's fan went back to normal as it was prior to bios mod. Everything else is fine so far, UEFI is working *i guess* though i don't have much experience with UEFI.

Fn+X message has somehow stopped coming on its own after i restore defaults in the bios settings. I don't see any unlocked menus.

The only problem i have faced so far is that when i go into the bios settings, i don't see 'service tag' info, neither i see 'Dell' logo, all i see is Mr. Florin9do's some customized message at the top. Also, I don't see which keys i should type to enter bios settings or setup, Bios itself is working great but i was wondering if i have done something wrong because of which i am facing such issue.

I am using windows 8.1 right now, and there is no problem of sound. I want to keep it that way. The way i see it, i have two options:

Now, the ideal solution would be to use Clover+UEFI (as this setup is easy on future updates) while using MBR disk but i don't know if it will work. But if it does, i wont have any sound issues in windows.

I am using SSD/HDD as yours #3, but I cannot boot to windows as normal, I have installed OSX 10.10 with clover bootloader on SSD, but Clover cannot boot to HDD, So I have use usb with chameleon bootloader for bootup to windows on HDD.

I am using SSD/HDD as yours #3, but I cannot boot to windows as normal, I have installed OSX 10.10 with clover bootloader on SSD, but Clover cannot boot to HDD, So I have use usb with chameleon bootloader for bootup to windows on HDD.

Why doesn't it do so? Does it only support GPT? If yes then how come Khairy is doing it on a single HDD using hybrid GPT/MBR? I like third option too but i don't want to be dependent on the usb every time i will be using windows.

thanks to you i successfully installed 10.10 on my laptop.

but i have a problem i cant boot normally with clover it will keep loading for ever.

when i boot with verbose i get this screen and keeps loading for ever.

jWLO03c.jpg?1

but when i boot without caches and with injected kext it boots with some lags and wired trackpad behaviour.

my laptop (i7, Nvidia, dell wireless)

When I do the commands

cd ~/Desktop/PostInstall

then 

sudo ./PostInstall.sh 

The terminal shows me the message: override rwxrwxrwx _unknown/_unknown hidden for /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/._.DS_Store?

What can I do? I can't finish the installation :(

I believe the problem in this thread is that most don't clearly understand how UEFI Clover Works.

-Did you make sure that the EFI partition has all the files requred for booting?

-Try booting from the installation USB, and then boot into Mac OS. if this happens then your EFI - boot partition needs fixing. 

The postinstall.sh script all it does is to open the EFI partition and put all the boot files in place, propably the script file does not work for everyone. So in your case its needs to be done manually

• Like 1

I believe the problem in this thread is that most don't clearly understand how UEFI Clover Works.

-Did you make sure that the EFI partition has all the files requred for booting?

-Try booting from the installation USB, and then boot into Mac OS. if this happens then your EFI - boot partition needs fixing. 

The postinstall.sh script all it does is to open the EFI partition and put all the boot files in place, propably the script file does not work for everyone. So in your case its needs to be done manually

How can I do it manually?

You need to enable Disk's utility debug mode so it can show hidden drivers

-mount the EFI partition

-copy the EFI folder from your USB installation stick to the EFI partition

-disable autokext injection from the info.plist

-reboot

This is how it should look like : image

Why doesn't it do so? Does it only support GPT? If yes then how come Khairy is doing it on a single HDD using hybrid GPT/MBR? I like third option too but i don't want to be dependent on the usb every time i will be using windows.

I do not know. I have tried many time, alway got fail.

Just do the same step i already did, i faced this issue too

1# Open the Terminal and type thous command:-

sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI /dev/disk0s1

Then

sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI

Then

sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

You will find a new partition mount and appear in finder next to your other partition, copy the EFI from usb installation into the EFI partition

Enter to EFI folder you will find a folder called BOOT delete it and make sure your trash empty, goto Clover folder and edit file name called config.plist

<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>
To this 
<key>InjectKexts</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>InjectSystemID</key>

2# In the PostInstall folder copy thous Kexts to this location "Mac partition/System/Library/Extensions/"

ACPIBatteryManager.kext
CustomPeripheral.kext
FakeSMC.kext
GenericUSBXHCI.kext
IOath3kfrmwr.kext
RealtekRTL8100.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext

The other files in Postinstall called 

layout12.aml.zlib
Platforms.aml.zlib

Copy them to "Mac partition/System/Library/Extensions/" find kext called "AppleHDA.kext", Right click and "show packege content" then "Contents/Resources/" and past :)

3# Use Kext Utility.app in the Postinstall folder 

Reboot and make sure you add boot clover 

thats right i dont  :D

when i get home i will try to do it manually.

When I do the commands

cd ~/Desktop/PostInstall

then 

sudo ./PostInstall.sh 

The terminal shows me the message: override rwxrwxrwx _unknown/_unknown hidden for /Volumes/EFI/EFI/BOOT/._.DS_Store?

What can I do? I can't finish the installation :(

Just overwrite, it's just a cache file. The PostInstall script still works well.

1. The audio issue on Windows UEFI is related to BIOS. Till now Dell only provided BIOS update for the Lattitude E6X20 which already has UEFI-booting capability (Dell originally designed the N5510 BIOS for legacy booting only, so I think they won't release any new BIOS update to fix this issue). You may be forced to install Windows legacy in order to make audio working.

Till now, the Hybrid MBR/GPT table is an acceptable solution, though it's not the best. I will try to find out a solution to be able to install and boot Windows legacy on pure GPT disk (forget about installing Windows UEFI), but I think it may be more complicated than the first solution.

2. To boot Windows legacy installed using hybrid MBR/GPT method, exit Clover or press F12 and select Hard Drive. You may add a legacy entry in config.plist -> Gui, and set Boot -> Legacy = LegacyBIOSDefault ; LegacyBIOSDefaultEntry = 0 ; and IgnoreNVRAMBoot = True.

N5110 doesn't support booting directly to HDD on caddy bay. You should install Windows on the main HDD.

"-----

now we will prepare your efi folder to put it  on it 

download this EFI Folder  " 

This ^ has been taken from 5th post of khairy: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/271573-guide-dell-inspiron-n5110/?do=findComment&comment=1767754

Where is the efi folder? That link is not working anymore. Somebody please share that folder here.

This is from the trial guide. Use the EFI folder in PreInstall.zip on the 1st post.

• Like 1

I successfully installed Yosemite, everything worked smoothly. Will try to triple boot OS X, WIndows and Ubuntu.

Here's my attachment containing my EFI and PostInstall folders, which are based on the PreInstall.zip and PostInstall.zip on 1st post with slight updates and modifications:

• Clover r2939. You can update this later with Clover Configurator.
  • EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched contains my DSDT.aml (disable nVidia) and SSDT-4.aml for Core i5-2410M. Replace them with yours.
  • All kexts in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10 and PostInstall folders (except FakeSMC and CustomPheripherals), are compiled by me from original source codes, using newest XCode 6.1 on Mavericks, targeting 10.10 and only for 10.10.
    • FakeSMC v6.11 are extracted from Hackintosh Vietnam Tool Last Version.
    • All kexts except IOath3kfrmwr are confirmed to work on 10.10 with no problem. I can't test the IOath3kfrmwr because my wireless card is Intel Centrino N-1030, but I think it will work smoothly.
  • Config.plist has:
    • Glitch SecondStage 10.10 patch.
    • kext-dev-mode=1
    • InjectKexts = Detect
    • My MacBookPro8,2 SMBIOS configuration. You should edit the SMBIOS keys with your values.
  • You can use the EFI folder for both the Pre-Installation and Post-Installation tasks.

Though the files in the 1st post still work, I shared with you my file which has things updated. Good luck.  ^_^

NOTE: If you create the USB installer by createinstallmedia, the first stage of installation will stuck for a while at 'a second remaining' :surprised:  Don't click Cancel, just keep patient and wait as the setup prepares the USB for the next stage. -_-  

Yosemite N5110 Files.zip

• Like 4

Le Cao Nguyen, A big thank you for all this work, It will help many of us here :)

I have been preparing my laptop for osx installation. Right now i am on windows 8.1, and i don't know how exactly should i proceed with osx installation, The guide in first post is for those who are already using osx.

What i would like to know is how should i make my usb as bootable as Khairy did in first post while using windows? I have already downloaded yosemite.app and I am hoping there will be a utility which will let me create yosemite bootable usb using windows environment.

• Like 1

Le Cao Nguyen, A big thank you for all this work, It will help many of us here :)

I have been preparing my laptop for osx installation. Right now i am on windows 8.1, and i don't know how exactly should i proceed with osx installation, The guide in first post is for those who are already using osx.

What i would like to know is how should i make my usb as bootable as Khairy did in first post using windows? I have already downloaded yosemite.app and I am hoping there will be a utility which will let me create yosemite bootable usb using windows environment.

You may use Transmac on Windows. Another solution is to run Mac OS X on VMWare virtual machine to create the USB.

Anyway, the best solution is to borrow a MacBook from your friend.  :lol:

• Like 1

I tried to do an efi install of windows 7 and the sound failed and indeed its is a bios problem. Look here

Now I made a Windows 7 USB stick, I bypass/exit clover but it gives me a "Missing operating system" message. The usb works perfectly on another laptop with untouched bios. At the moment I am formatting the USB stick using different utilities and late I will use another USB stick. Any other clues anyone?

EDIT: 

Sorted out with this nice tool 

But now I am facing the problem with the MBR / GTP table. Installation does not allow me to continue. Any ideas?

Edited by Dalaranunion

Dalaranunion, why are you not using Khairy's guide? Has he not mentioned the steps which will allow you to use dual OS?

He installed OSx first on GPT and it was mentioned here in this thread that you will have to use DVD for windows installation, and windows will automatically make MBR type partition.

Dalaranunion, why are you not using Khairy's guide? Has he not mentioned the steps which will allow you to use dual OS?

He installed OSx first on GPT and it was mentioned here in this thread that you will have to use DVD for windows installation, and windows will automatically make MBR type partition.

I don't have a DVD so I am using a USB. which is probably the issue..

I have used transmac to make my usb bootable, and before i did that, i changed the partition type of USB to GPT, The problem is, i cant access setup of osx from clover, i only see 4 options, which include uefi shell, options, about, exit.

Thing is i haven't put EFI folder on the bootable usb since i cant access it in windows after it was made bootable by transmac, now i am stuck here. I do have access to UEFI shell, is it possible i can initiate setup from there?

I am using two usbs, one has clover/UEFI, other is bootable osx. I think if i can browse my way to osx usb from the uefi shell, may be installation get started. *usb is gpt parted but i have also tested it with mbr partition.

I hope somebody can help me with this.

Here's what I found out:

The best way to boot Windows legacy on GPT disk is to have bootmgr and BCD installed on a separate bootable MBR partition. If you have two hard disks, make sure one has MBR table, create a small partition, active it and and install bootmgr and BCD on it (read this post).

If you only have a single hard disk or both the disks have GPT table (my case :P), there will be no easy solution IMO :( . I followed this topic on reboot.pro and read through many posts, but all the solutions are too complex for me or not so good IMO. I think here's why:

From what I read, some of the solutions that I consider the best (but not good) are:

• Using grub4dos to chainload bootmgr on a small partition containing both bootmgr and proper BCD.
  • Using memdisk (on grub4dos or syslinux) to load a raw disk image containing PBR, bootmgr and BCD.
  • Using wimboot to directly load bootmgr.exe (the uncompressed executable) with proper BCD.

However, the modules are legacy (not EFI-stub), so they can only be executed by a legacy bootloader like Grub4dos or Syslinux (I'm not sure with the case of wimboot, but I have tried to use it with Grub2 EFI and I failed). But BIOS can only execute Grub4dos through a second stage PBR, and I don't know any solution to install PBR on GPT partition (BIOS Boot partition is a possible solution but it's not well-documented). Only some EFI bootloader with CSM modules like rEFInd or Grub2 can execute Grub4dos, and the situation of using two bootloaders (e.g: Grub2 EFI -> Grub4dos) just to execute bootmgr is not acceptable for me, as it's too complicated to deploy and will increase the boot time.  :no:

Maybe good solutions still exist or can be found out, but I will give up for now as it cost me too much time to research and test. I will convert my 2nd hard disk back to MBR and install bootmgr on it.  ^_^