Vista RC1 avaliable to the masses!

other

20 posts in this topic

"Officially" this is just a release for CPP people, the ones that already signed up for the preview program. According to the Vista page at Microsoft, the beta/RC program will be opened to far more people in the coming weeks, and the only way they'll be able to do that would be to start issuing keys to anyone that wants it.

Sooooo... keep your fingers crossed (the masses, that is).

bb

If anyone is using XP on a "nonwork" computer that can run RC1... I would highly recommend the download. It worked well for my computer and it is just nice to use.

If you don't have a key you can just play around with it using a key on a fourm or something and an activation hack... Then in a week or two you can reinstall it if you like it with your own key.

installed fast, alot more stable than beta 1/2, still annoying that you have 4 different places where you can configure/change network settings devices, etc. pissed off the vista is using SMB 2 while my server runs samba 1.x and connot discover the shared drives except by bashing my head on the keyboard and praying :).

does anyone but me not like the fact that you cant set (dual head) to span both screens. ie: you cannot set a back ground to 'stretch' over both screens, nor can you do the same with the menubar???

i will be sending in my feed back and hoping they will listen to us testers, but who knows .. leopard will come out and may change me forever :blink:

Well I used both Beta 2 and now RC1 I think RC1 is a big improvement especially as its now compatible with all my games etc (GTA series)

Although its bugging me I can adjust my MBPs screen brightness, as I dont think its max as I like it. But otherwise all around its a great improvement over XP IMO almost has the professional reliable feel of 2000 Pro.

Am planning to use this at work when I get issued my laptop so I will see how well it networks etc then :blink:

Interesting thing. I signed up back in June, got a valid key, DL'ed Beta 2, whole load of {censored}. So you'd think M$ might think about sending emails to their ENTIRE list of people. :happymac:

Still haven't gotten the email. <_< Thanks for the link, other. I'm gonna DL this tomorrow when I get on my good computer, wipe my Vista partition, and set that up. :)

2 things I want to see fixed: The problem with Warcraft III where you have to be running Banlist to get sound, and the problem where calls on Skype randomly get dropped with an error about the playback device. Both problems don't exist when I boot XP.

So, we'll see. :robot:

Damn I just deleted my windows for this {censored} and it doesnt even want to install.

It says about windows could not find a criteria for this volume {censored}.

I'm still looking for somewhere on the MS site where the latecommers can obtain a key, however I can't find such a location.

Thats because of this:

9-5-06 - We are currently out of additional keys for package “5342 and Up Ultimate”. We will have more keys available for download within 72 hours. Please do NOT send mail to MCHelp or LHBeta regarding this issue.”

yah i tried ... i have an nvidia 5950 ultra and the nvidia control panel doesnt let you set up the spanning dual head for some reason .... :blink:

The NVidia Control panel doesn't even exist in Vista drivers as of the latest version.

Calm down, they'll implement it.

Remember this OS has not officially been released yet....and MS isn't responsible for setting up spanning with your drivers...NVidia is ;)

• 2 weeks later...