[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

You can reduce to two outputs without negative effects. Only one port, the first for LVDS (marked with zero in the table) might work too.

Which trunk of Chameleon are you using?

What size of ram do you have?

Do you get the MEI driver loaded on correct place in the device tree?

My original table has looked like yours. I wanted to get the vga port (it is not directly supported on MBP) working, therefore I had to edit the fourth line like manwe and you have done it too. The third line is the digital port, wich supports dp and also hdmi. The port was working for gfx output. To get audio over hdmi working (dsdt edit necessary too) I have edited it like in my linked post.

At my first attempt to get the E320 up, I have used Chimera as bootloader with causing the gfx glitches, as I have noticed later on . After I had switched at a second try of install to the Chameleon trunk (also with native support of HD3000, GE= no) , the gfx glitches have been gone without editing the table.

The cause of my editng the table has been, that I had speedstep not working on my i5, because of ufsing smbios of MBP 8,2 to get gfx output on the laptop LCD. At first I had reduced the outputs to two and everthing was fine with my 8 gig of ram and the HD3000 with 512 mb. Then I have been able to use smbios of MBP 8,1 and got ACPM and speedstep working. Afterwards I have expanded to three ports with vga added without any issues.

Hi guys-

I have 8GB of RAM and 512 video ram, and I only use the DisplayPort when using the external monitor.

Would you please post your patched kext? I don't think I can follow the instructions.

Thanks,

AJ

Hi guys-

I have 8GB of RAM and 512 video ram, and I only use the DisplayPort when using the external monitor.

Would you please post your patched kext? I don't think I can follow the instructions.

Thanks,

AJ

Follow the link in post 190. Patching is easy If the displayport is working and you have audio too with it or you do not need it, you have just to run the script in my pack and change "400" to "200" in the first line of the output file after running the script. Copy the hex file after editing on desktop backto your scriptfolder and run the patchscript. After repairing permissions reboot with option -v -f for updating caches.

Please back up your original kext before patching and place it on your install device. If something goes wrong, you can install it back with terminal. A howto is in the pack in the mentioned link. Also an patched kext is in it. It has an edited pinout for hdmi and sound. I have needed it so.

Have fun.

Great tutorial. Used it to get my T520 model 4239-CTO working as the parts are nearly identical. Have the HD3000 and no issues at all with lockups or video performance. I had Lion and then upgraded to ML a few days ago. As other mentioned no SD card reader but that's OK. The only issue I have is that under Lion I was able to not only get the biometric device to work but it worked with the True Suite 5.x. Now True Suite does not even recognize that there is a biometric device present. Any suggestions on which Kext file controls that device ID and any tweaks to re-enable it in ML?

Great tutorial. Used it to get my T520 model 4239-CTO working as the parts are nearly identical. Have the HD3000 and no issues at all with lockups or video performance. I had Lion and then upgraded to ML a few days ago. As other mentioned no SD card reader but that's OK. The only issue I have is that under Lion I was able to not only get the biometric device to work but it worked with the True Suite 5.x. Now True Suite does not even recognize that there is a biometric device present. Any suggestions on which Kext file controls that device ID and any tweaks to re-enable it in ML?

I just installed True Suite on my T420 with ML 10.8.2 and it works out of the box. I don't recall installing any kexts that control the fingerprint reader, so I can't really help you there, sorry. Thanks for introducing me to the Suite though, it's amazing.

I just installed True Suite on my T420 with ML 10.8.2 and it works out of the box. I don't recall installing any kexts that control the fingerprint reader, so I can't really help you there, sorry. Thanks for introducing me to the Suite though, it's amazing.

All I ended up having to do was to uninstall 5.5.0.4 and reinstall the 5.5.0.5 and it worked with no issues. Amazing app and it's basically free because they bundle it with the reader.

So the only thing that does not seem to work right now is the SD Ricoh reader. Have not tried the eSATA yet.

My T520 even works with the replicator and to any output device I choose to attach - docked or straight from the laptop no video issues.

@tluck

I got boot working! Reinstalled ML after applying this patch to the USB: http://www.osx86.net...pkg_10.8.x.html

@ag695

https://developer.ap...ds/index.action

Download Graphics Tools (you must have Xcode first) then run Quartz Debug and check "Disable 2D acceleration"

Hi all,

Thanks for a great thread! You guys are awesome.

I've created a unibeas installer with ML 10.8.2. On the USB I swapped out the OSInstall and OSInstall.mkpg. (I didn't follow steps 1-4, and 6 cuz I don't understand them :( )

The boot off of the USB displays the apple logo, then just gives me a blank screen. Do you guys have any suggestions? Should I downgrade my BIOS to 1.33? Its at 1.36.

link to photo of screen after using -v flag

GraphicsEnabler = no also resulted in a blank screen

https://mail-attachm...JitdInx_r-ia6K8

Hi all,

Thanks for a great thread! You guys are awesome.

I've created a unibeas installer with ML 10.8.2. On the USB I swapped out the OSInstall and OSInstall.mkpg. (I didn't follow steps 1-4, and 6 cuz I don't understand them :( )

The boot off of the USB displays the apple logo, then just gives me a blank screen. Do you guys have any suggestions? Should I downgrade my BIOS to 1.33? Its at 1.36.

link to photo of screen after using -v flag

GraphicsEnabler = no also resulted in a blank screen

https://mail-attachm...JitdInx_r-ia6K8

It is at one side related with the size of your LCD (1600x900) and on the other side it might be related with the pinout of AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext.

Try to remove this kext from /S/L/E of your installdevice, but keep it on it in an other folder. After that try to boot with -v -f GE=no.

We don´t support here the software with that you have created your installdevice. Please read the rules.

Have fun.

I've been trying a clean 10.8.2 install today too, and having a lot of difficulty with it.

Try booting the cd with -x, that seemed to work for me to get the boot to finish (although I hacked some other stuff in it too while doing other testing)

I'll post more once I understand why 10.8.2 is being so troublesome for me to install.

Took me a long time to figure this out, but a clean install of 10.8.2 *IS MISSING A LARGE NUMBER Info.plist's (and other files)* inside of the extensions!

This makes AppleIntelHD3000 mess up (in 10.8.2, it can't even load).

The solution is to install AppleIntel*.kext from 10.7.0, then copy the upgraded kext back on top of them. (roughly speaking, from /S/L/E, I typed cp -a AppleIntel* /backup && rm -rf AppleIntel* && cp -a /backup10.7/AppleIntel* . && cp -a /backup/AppleIntel* .)

(boot using -x to get around this temporarily, including in the installer)

• Like 1

hmm. i didnt try to install fresh from 10.8.2. i used 10.8.0 but anyway....

one solution that worked for me was to put the dsdt.aml on the USB to boot with that as well. then it seems to find things better!

in other words, add your /Extra stuff onto the usb so it can figure the laptop devices out.

otherwise one can use an external monitor with usb keyboard and mouse helps too.

here is what is on my USB so i can boot/install ML.

tluck@toms-mac /Volumes/MountainLion/Extra

$ ls -l

total 120

drwxr-xr-x@ 12 tluck staff 408 Oct 4 15:07 Extensions

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 tluck staff 102 Oct 16 2011 Themes

-rw-rw-r-- 1 tluck staff 52466 Oct 3 21:46 dsdt.aml

-rwxr-xr-x 1 tluck staff 511 Oct 3 21:46 org.chameleon.Boot.plist

-rw-r--r-- 1 tluck staff 483 Oct 3 21:47 smbios.plist

tluck@toms-mac /Volumes/MountainLion/Extra

$ cat org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Banner</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>PCIRootUID=1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

</dict>

</plist>

yes, actually i did that too, but in 10.8.2, it seems there are just too many Info.plist files missing that it doesn't know how to use the framebuffer. I'm wondering if that could be the cause of all of the ring buffer stalls too?

You seemed to have more success than me with 10.8 AppleIntelCPUPM also (possible due to different CPU's). After getting the same error a few (dozen) too many times, I reverted it back to my copy from 10.7.3 and it worked fine.

I'm moving on to doing an upgrade of my system, now that I think I've worked out the potential issues. I can post those kexts afterwards if people think they would find them useful.

Manwe - If you fail to get 10.8.2 to install, I suggest simply installing from 10.8.0, then as soon as you boot into it connect to the internet and upgrade (before installing dsdts and kexts). Then reboot, and install the kexts and dsdt.aml and it should work fine - that's how I did it.

gregorious10 - Only downgrade, then patch (in that order) if you switched your wifi-card with an OS X compatible one like I did. Otherwise, your BIOS version shouldn't matter. As for why your UN1B34ST won't boot, I really have no clue, sorry. Make sure you put the files in the correct directory... If you backed up the two files, put them back and see if the disk boots. Again, I really recommend installing from 10.8.0 and then immediately upgrading from the App Store to 10.8.2, but do that only if all else fails. Good luck!

Starting with 10.8.0 sounds reasonable too. I have (nearly) finished upgrading my system to ML starting from a 10.8.2 disk. I just have a few extraneous kexts to move back in place.

I have come to realize that GraphicsEnabler=No is also important.

I know you mentioned this before. I kept changing that back to Yes as soon as I would change it to No (and old habit from a old laptop with an NVIDIA card -- also in 10.7.0, I think it worked better with GraphicsEnabler)

(I'm still using my own dsdt since I've updated it slightly since you last copied it and added AcpiMonitor readouts of CPU Heatsink Temp and Fan0 speed, possible also CPU freq -- although FakeSMC seems to have stopped reading the Fan0 speed register, so I might need to update that part again?)

Here's what I use for my org.chameleon.boot.plist (note that I've reverted my AppleCPUPM so that it doesn't balk at the pstates, so I left them enabled here, although it seems it might not make a difference. Also, if NullCPUPM gets used, as it will when booting the installer, it definately doesn't matter.)

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-allowAppleCPUPM</string>

<string>No</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>No</string>

</dict>

</plist>

@manwe -

correct - no reason to use Graphics Enabler - it will figure out the Gfx automatically with HD3000 - curious - what device ID is your intel gfx card actually have? mine is 0126.

to get the CPUPM working i suggest to not generate C or P states and drop SSDT - i got KP other wise. you may want to take a look at the 10.8.2 kext pack i posted a few posts back.

cat org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Banner</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>PCIRootUID=1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>UseKernelCache</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EnableHDMIAudio</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

• Like 1

|| correct - no reason to use Graphics Enabler - it will figure out the Gfx automatically with HD3000 - curious - what device ID is your intel gfx card actually have? mine is 0126.

mine is also 0126 (and GraphicsEnabler seems to be incorrectly named in this case since it actually blocked the graphics driver :)

|| to get the CPUPM working i suggest to not generate C or P states and drop SSDT - i got KP other wise.

I tried many combinations of that. I didn't get a KP, I got an error almost at the end of boot that the P-states are wrong for my CPU. Reverting CPUPM to 10.7.3 version fixed it though, so I'm content.

|| you may want to take a look at the 10.8.2 kext pack i posted a few posts back.

I referenced your kext pack many times during my install. Thanks!

pinning this here, since they sound like they have a great shot a fixing iMessage. The summary is that if you logged into iMessage before Dec 18, don't log out or make any change to your account, or you will lose access. If you are stuck unable to log in, hopefully someone will find a fix for us soon.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285102-imessage-not-working-icloudinternet-etc-working-changed-bootplist-file-and-networkplist-file-help/

• Like 1

@honeywell et al,

i previously posted my experience on going to 10.7.x (see #85) and then to 10.8.0 (see #117)

subsequently I moved up to 10.8.2 (made a few minor changes... updated FakeSMC, AppleHDA etc etc)

i am running 10.8.2 now here is my updated Extra and kext pack

Note: i have this system: T420-4236 (HD3000 gfx only with 1600x900 display)

Model ID : MacBookPro6,1 KernelMode: x86_64

CPU TYPE : Intel® Core™ i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz

Core : 2491MHz Bus: 25MHz FSB: 100MHz

CPU ID : Ox206A7 (132775) Cache L2: 0Mb

RAM : 8192Mb HibernateMode: 0

Updated: 11-30-2012 - kext pack was re-upload (with slightly revised AppleHDA)

I installed 10.8 and upgraded to 10.8.2 using the above kexts so thanks very much. My only problem is I don't have bluetooth. I was wondering if this is normal in 10.8 or am I missing something. Also the only way i could boot without safe mode was to disable the nvidia 4200. Is there a way i can boot with that. Again thanks for everyones hard work on getting mac running on this.

@bigvin122 - often the bluetooth function is turned off internally. if you dual boot, you can turn it on with windows and leave it on. or i believe joshhh or some other folks in the levovo 410/510 thread have found a way to turn it off/on with a few changes to IOBluetoothFamily kext.

as far as nvidia 4200 - not sure what the answer is.... the dsdt manwe150 and I use are for systems w/o extra gfx i.e. have HD3000 only. there may be other dsdts that are more aligned with your box? it is just a guess thats its a dsdt thing. others on this thread may have more to add.

• 2 weeks later...

i modified weeks ago AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext to have less graphic issues with 2 port only lcd and hdmi

but hdmi plug is not a real "hdmi port" so we need a special cable to use hdmi.

Yesterday i thought i'll be more usefull to have vga rather than hdmi

back to the AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext provided by tluck (this post)

and try to do this change with this

my table :

0000000: 0102 0400 1007 0000 1007 0000 ............

000000c: LVDS_0503 0000 0200 0000 3000 0000 ........0...

0000018: HDMI_0205 0000 0004 0000 0700 0000 ............

0000024: DVI_0304 0000 0004 0000 0900 0000 ............

0000030: VGA_0602 0000 1000 0000 0900 0000 ............

change it to (hope it's good so DVI to LCD)

0000000: 0102 0400 1007 0000 1007 0000 ............

000000c: 0503 0000 0200 0000 3000 0000 ........0...

0000018: 0205 0000 0004 0000 0700 0000 ............

0000024: 0503 0000 0004 0000 0900 0000 ............

0000030: 0602 0000 1000 0000 0900 0000 ............

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.orig

are there after modgliani-intelHD3000_Patch

after reboot 4ports (DPCIManager) Idon't konw if it's normal or not ?

is it the best change i should do?

A couple more issues I have and I'm wondering if there are ways to address them. First and foremost, middle click doesn't seem to work, but holding the middle button and using the trackpoint to scroll works. It's just the actual middle clicking itself that doesn't seem to work (can't open links in new tabs in Safari using middle click, etc. I don't think middle click is detected by the system). Second, there are a lot of useless keys on the keyboard and I'm wondering if it's possible to bind them - for example, the back and forward keys near the arrow keys could be page up and page down, and the prtscrn key and right click menu key (between right alt and right ctrl) are completely useless.

Are there any ways to fix these issues? DSDT edit or something?