[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

A slight update: Manwe's patched AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext for Lion seems to work flawlessly in Mountain Lion. Only things that are missing now are

- sleep

- battery indicator

as always, any hints are more than welcome :)

Hey Crumpo, how is your T420 working without the laptop dock? Like as a standalone machine, is the resolution and QE/CL working fine? I never managed to get full QE/CL even with 10.7.2.

Hey Crumpo, how is your T420 working without the laptop dock? Like as a standalone machine, is the resolution and QE/CL working fine? I never managed to get full QE/CL even with 10.7.2.

The internal display works fine with the patched kext provided in the first post (they are for lion but do the job in ml just as good). QE and CL both work without problems, and the internal display is at its full 1600x900. Display on displayport works fine, too

If anyone can help me I will be endlessly grateful. Here is what I did for Mountain Lion.

I installed using ######. Boot up from USB Drive bootloader into Mountain Lion.

Resolution is messed up but should be fixed after DSDT Patch right?

Run ###### with ONLY UserDSDT (Manwe150' from 1st post) and SMBIOS Macbook Pro 8,1.

Reboot

Kernel Panic :(

The Kernel panic traces to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement for some reason. Hmmmmmmmm Anyone know what I can do?

I can easily get back in to edit the files since I have another partition with 10.7.2 installed. I've had 10.8 installed on a different partition.

Hey a little help here :) So I installed 10.7 as per Tonymac's guide with a T420 Intel HD 3000. No nvidia at all. I booted into, installed DSDT and everything worked beautifully. I didnt even patch any kexts yet! Ran ###### and rebooted. downloaded 10.7.4 combo update, the download one not the software update. Ran ###### again and rebooted. now this is what I get. It shows up after the spinning wheel under the apple. I can enter in my password and press enter and the lines seem to change. its booting up fine but the graphics are messed. anyone wanna help me out? Hehehe.

Hey a little help here :) So I installed 10.7 as per Tonymac's guide with a T420 Intel HD 3000. No nvidia at all. I booted into, installed DSDT and everything worked beautifully. I didnt even patch any kexts yet! Ran ###### and rebooted. downloaded 10.7.4 combo update, the download one not the software update. Ran ###### again and rebooted. now this is what I get. It shows up after the spinning wheel under the apple. I can enter in my password and press enter and the lines seem to change. its booting up fine but the graphics are messed. anyone wanna help me out? Hehehe.

try replacing the hd3000 kexts with the one provided in the 1st post

Hi Crumpo, I ran the script and installed the kext, but I get the spinning wheel at the login screen when I return from sleep. Any ideas?

no clue, sorry. It just worked for me

I did! You mean just the AppleIntelSNB kext right? Thats the only one I saw in the first post. I got in with GraphicsEnabler=No and used Kext Utility to rename the original to *.bak and place the modified one instead. I rebooted and its fixed but I get awful system hangs now. As much as opening chrome or safari will freeze my T420 for 10-15 seconds. Quite annoying in fact....but at least its working I guess.

I did! You mean just the AppleIntelSNB kext right? Thats the only one I saw in the first post. I got in with GraphicsEnabler=No and used Kext Utility to rename the original to *.bak and place the modified one instead. I rebooted and its fixed but I get awful system hangs now. As much as opening chrome or safari will freeze my T420 for 10-15 seconds. Quite annoying in fact....but at least its working I guess.

As for the hangs, there are posts further up from folks who have similar issues, maybe there is something that can point you to some kind of solution. I use two external screens via digital out from my docking station and did not have any graphic problem whatsoever in either 10.7 or 10.8.

no clue, sorry. It just worked for me

Thanks, it works now. I had replaced the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext that comes with 10.8 with the one I had customized in 10.7.2. I think this was causing the issue when waking from sleep. I have put back the kext from 10.8, removed the kernel flags (-allowAppleCPUPM) and it works fine now.

Just one more question about the org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Can you share your file? I have a very simple one now, that seem to work fine, but I'm not sure if the C-states, etc are needed or not.

Here is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,4)</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>KeyLayout</key>

<string>mac-es</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>bootcamp</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help, this is working great...

Can you share your file? I have a very simple one now, that seem to work fine, but I'm not sure if the C-states, etc are needed or not.

Here is my org.chameleon.Boot.plist file:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,4)</string>

<key>EHCIacquire</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>KeyLayout</key>

<string>mac-es</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>bootcamp</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Here's mine, though I don't remember having changed anything in there:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

This is the geekbench score I get with my setup: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/941376

Here's mine, though I don't remember having changed anything in there:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

This is the geekbench score I get with my setup: http://browser.prima...ekbench2/941376

Thanks a lot!

Hi stevenplanet, I have similar issues, some hangs... I have not figured out when they occur, but every so often, I get them.

The screen starts to get messed up, it's like the video memory is getting overwritten with a lost pointer... when this happens, when I open a menu of any application, I get squares from other regions of the screen. The screensaver also has squares of the screen with pieces of the desktop, etc.

This is not consistent though, it only happens sometimes.

Must be related to the AppleIntelSNB or the dsdt that is not fully compatible with our model. I have an i5 (not an i7) and I am using the DSDT posted on the first post.

Maybe this is the issue?

sd card reader driver :

use System Info to find id and change them in VoodooSDHC.kext/Contents/Info.plist

put in S/L/E repair with kext Wiazrd reboot

____

T420 i5 2450M_Lion_10.7.4_V1.4.1.zip (dsdt.manwe150 and recompile added for my T420)

still have USB KP when plug usb

help would be welcome log available in send me .

thanks

Maj : 10/08/2012 :

SleepEnabler.kext added to pack 1.2 thanks to crumpo

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x75\x30\x89\xd8|\xeb\x30\x89\xd8|' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleRTC.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleRTC

Thanks a lot! Hi stevenplanet, I have similar issues, some hangs... I have not figured out when they occur, but every so often, I get them. The screen starts to get messed up, it's like the video memory is getting overwritten with a lost pointer... when this happens, when I open a menu of any application, I get squares from other regions of the screen. The screensaver also has squares of the screen with pieces of the desktop, etc. This is not consistent though, it only happens sometimes. Must be related to the AppleIntelSNB or the dsdt that is not fully compatible with our model. I have an i5 (not an i7) and I am using the DSDT posted on the first post. Maybe this is the issue?

Yes. The fix I found was that if I installed just 10.7, (the original release) instead of 10.7.2,3, or 4, the graphics glitches, artifacting, squares, and ring freezes went away completely. Everything works beautifully with full QE/CL. I have no idea why haha. I basically did a vanilla install using unibe@st and then just followed the instructions in the first post. Everything works except my SD card reader. Good thing im not a frequent photographer. What are your exact specs by the way?

Yes. The fix I found was that if I installed just 10.7, (the original release) instead of 10.7.2,3, or 4, the graphics glitches, artifacting, squares, and ring freezes went away completely. Everything works beautifully with full QE/CL. I have no idea why haha. I basically did a vanilla install using unibe@st and then just followed the instructions in the first post. Everything works except my SD card reader. Good thing im not a frequent photographer. What are your exact specs by the way?

Thanks, will have to see what my issue is then...

My specs are:

Intel Core i5-2520M 2.49 GHz

Intel HD 3000

8GB RAM

Update June 18, 2013 - 10.8.4

• Revised DSDT - not getting any glitches or hangs with Chameleon or Clover anymore. hurray.
  • Newer AppleHDA
  • Newer FakeSMC
  • Newer VoodooPS2Controller 
  • Added LCD Display Definitions

Update March 22, 2013 - 10.8.3

Update November 12, 2012 - 10.8.2

--------

T420 upgraded to Mountain Lion - now a complete success.

Update: changes for 10.8.2 10.8.3 10.8.4 

Thank you to joshhh, manwe150, crumpo, verleihnix, bcc9 and a few others on this thread…
My system (i5-2520M/8GB/HD3000-only) is working better than ever on 10.8.0 10.8.2 10.8.3 10.8.4

No hangs or glitches anymore!!!

Note: BIOS - disable VT-d virtualization setting, running  no-mod v1.44 (embedded controller v1.20)

(/Extra and System/Library/Extention kexts attached - hope it will help someone else)

Working:

• Audio
  • Video
  • Network - wireless with ASUS USB-N10 (similar to AirLink101)
  • Battery
  • Sleep and Wake
  • SpeedStep - states from 8x -> 30x – geekbench of 6427 6534 – not bad.

Not working:

• native Intel WiFi
  • Ricoh SD card

Steps:
Upgraded from 10.7.4 but removed all custom kexts so started with vanilla 10.8.x

Used Combo Upgrade pack to go from 10.8.0 to 10.8.1 then 10.8.2 then 10.8.3 then 10.8.4.

Updated by USB - UniBst v1.5 method
added dsdt.aml to USB and then Booted with flags: PCIRootUID=1
used external USB mouse + external HDMI/Display port attached Monitor

Added kexts one at time – see list below:
Note: Using slightly modified "manwe150" dsdt.aml

$ cat org.chameleon.Boot.plist
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Boot Banner</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>PCIRootUID=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EnableHDMIAudio</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

$ cat smbios.plist
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com...yList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>04/22/11</string>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP81.88Z.0047.B0E.1104221557</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBook Pro</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>C02J3020DH2G</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
</plist>

Notes:
Still get some LCD graphics buffer hangs – but not as often as 10.7.x (use an external monitor mostly)
• When I upgraded from Lion, I used NullCPUPM initially but then removed afterwards when using a bin-patched AppleIntelCPUPM kext
• Sleep/PM:

o in org.chameleon.boot.plist, removed generate P-states and C-states=Yes or I get KP.
o Removed SleepEnabler and NullCPM and removed generate P-states from Boot.plist

o using ssdt.aml

• Battery – VoodooBattery is works (after rollback to AppleACPIPlatform.kext)

Kexts used:
– FakeSMC.kext = v4.3.x  v5.1.67 with new sensor packs in Plugins

o ACPISensors.kext
o Uses new HWMonitor.app (kozlek/rehabMan)

– Audio:

o AppleHDA.kext v10.8.x (patched for CX20590)

– Network:

o AppleIntelE1000e.kext (put in IONetworking.kext/Contents/Plugins)

– Mouse/Trackpad:

o VoodooPS2Controller.kext (has VoodooPS2Keyboard + thinkpad+ nub) (v1.8.4 from RehabMan)

– Sleep/CPUPM/Battery

o Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (10.8 version)
o Rollback to AppleACPIPlatform.kext (v 1.3.5 from 10.6.x)
o VoodooBattery.kext (v1.3.3 for Lion/ML)

– Misc:

o Patched AppleRTC.kext (10.8 version) not sure this is needed but didn’t hurt.
o AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext (edited info.plist to add vendor info)
o IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (to get DVD and eject working with apps)
o AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext - replaced 4th buffer to use VGA.

ML-10.8.4-Extra-kexts-06-2013.zip

• Like 2

T420 upgraded to Mountain Lion - now a complete success.

Thank you to joshhh, manwe150, crumpo and a few others on this thread…

My system (i5-2520M/8GB/HD3000-only) is working better than ever on 10.8.0!

(/Extra and System/Library/Extention kexts attached - hope it will help someone else)

Works:

Audio w cx20540

Network (wired and wireless with ASUS USB-N10 (similar to AirLink)

Battery

Sleep and Wake -- except I lose the eSATA port after wake – this is last the bugaboo. any ideas?

SpeedStep (sort of - 2 states 8x and 30x) – geekbench of 6427 – not bad.

Steps:

Upgraded from 10.7.4 but removed all custom kexts so started with vanilla 10.8.0

Updated by USB - UniBst v1.5 method

added dsdt.aml to USB and then Booted with flags: PCIRootUID=1

used external USB mouse + external HDMI/Display port attached Monitor

Added kexts one at time – see list below:

Note: Using manwe150 dsdt.aml

$ cat org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">'>http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Boot Banner</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<string>No</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>LoginToLion</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

$ cat smbios.plist

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>SMbiosversion</key>

<string>######.tonymacx86.com</string>

<key>SMboardproduct</key>

<string>Mac-94245B3640C91C81</string>

<key>SMfamily</key>

<string>MacBook Pro</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacBookPro8,1</string>

<key>SMserial</key>

<string>C02F93FQDH2G</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Notes:

• Still get some LCD graphics buffer hangs – but not as often as 10.7.4 (use an external monitor mostly)

• When I upgraded from Lion, I used MultiBst added NullCPUPM initially but then removed afterwards when I started using a bin-patched AppleIntelCPUPM kext

• Sleep:

o in org.chameleon.boot.plist, needed to remove generate P-states and C-states=Yes or I get KP.

o Tried SleepEnabler - but seems to be flakey (loses USB and I get recovered files in trash)

o Removed SleepEnabler and NullCPM and removed generate P-states

o Now I see 2 P-states 8x and 33x

o which is ok with me – may work on proper SSDT at some point.

• Battery – may try to rewrite the dsdt.dsl to use native battery management but for now VoodooBattery is working (after rollback to AppleACIPPlatform.kext)

Kexts:

– Audio:

o AppleHDA.kext (for cx20540)

– Network:

o AppleIntelE1000e.kext (put in IONetworking.kext/Contents/Plugins)

– Misc:

o Patched AppleRTC.kext (10.8 version) not sure this is needed but didn’t hurt.

– Mouse/Trackpad:

o ApplePS2Controller.kext (has VoodooPS2Keyboard)

o ThinkpadUltraNav.kext also for the “red knob” mouse

o AppleACPIS2Nub.kext

– Sleep/CPUPM/Battery

o Patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext (10.8 version)

o Rollback to AppleACPIPlatform.kext (v 1.3.5 from 10.6.x)

o VoodooBattery.kext (v1.3.3 for Lion/ML)

– FakeSMC.kext =(v4.2.10) + new sensor pack in Plugins

o ACPISensors.kext

o Uses new HWMonitor.app (kozlek)

Just asking but does your laptop work fine without being attached to an external monitor? Last time I updated to ML I had really horrible graphics lags known to the community as ring stalls.

the title of the thread can be changed to Moutain lion? :-)

thanks to tluck and all of you

Thanks to this community

my 10.8 pack is here

it's a bit different from tluck cos it doesn't work for me.

my pack and tluck dsdt.aml work but my screen display the same thing 4 times (4 little screens on one)

so i use my pack.

changes concerne :

AppleHDA.kext must be cos i don't use dsdt.aml

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

FakeSMC.kext

AppleRTC.kext

----

better than nothing i have (with it)

- LCD video, usb, keyboard, red point are ok

- bluetooth ko, sound is not working with my pack, sleep and wake ko

i did not test :

- extra video (external vga or hdmi) video is ok

- card reader (no card to test)

- no extra port except usb

(edited after tluck questions)

so my pack is not as good as tluck

I'll test tluck pack again ASAP

@stevenplanet - to answer your question - yes it works "fine" .... BUT yes when doing certain graphic functions as simple as Mission Control, the system does get ring stalls/ buffer hangs. My work around is posted in an earlier item. When i using the system in pure laptop mode - i.e. using just the LCD display (LVDS only) i often resort to using the Xcode toold Quartz Debug to disable 2D acceleration. at home, i usually have it in a laptop docking station with an external Display-Port attached monitor (and often with lid closed). So without LCD in play, that seems to eliminate these buffer stalls. Even so, with ML, i seem to see less of these hangs and can often use it just fine for email and browsing w/o quartz setting.... I just stay away from Mission control (or hot corners)!

@tetonne - can you be more specific about what is not working? my laptop is the same T420 type 4236. you mention you dont use dsdt? it has graphics, audio, usb fixes so its essential IMO. i noticed.... you have an older FakeSMC? i dont use sleepenabler or NullCPUPM anymore.

• Like 1

@stevenplanet - to answer your question - yes it works "fine" .... BUT yes when doing certain graphic functions as simple as Mission Control, the system does get ring stalls/ buffer hangs. My work around is posted in an earlier item. When i using the system in pure laptop mode - i.e. using just the LCD display (LVDS only) i often resort to using the Xcode toold Quartz Debug to disable 2D acceleration. at home, i usually have it in a laptop docking station with an external Display-Port attached monitor (and often with lid closed). So without LCD in play, that seems to eliminate these buffer stalls. Even so, with ML, i seem to see less of these hangs and can often use it just fine for email and browsing w/o quartz setting.... I just stay away from Mission control (or hot corners)!

@tetonne - can you be more specific about what is not working? my laptop is the same T420 type 4236. you mention you dont use dsdt? it has graphics, audio, usb fixes so its essential IMO. i noticed.... you have an older FakeSMC? i dont use sleepenabler or NullCPUPM anymore.

Hi tluck, if you don use sleepenabler or NullCPUM, what do you use? I have the same machine as you, it would be great if you could share your pack.

I also have the same artifacts issues with the video. I have looked all over, and there seems to be no solution. I usually get the freezes using Excel...

Thanks,

AJ

@ag6952563 - shared already! at the bottom of my post is the kext-pack i am using and /Extra.

sleep/wake seems to work without SleepEnabler or NullCPUPM. with these 3 things:

Removed /Extra/org*.plist Gen P/C states - so i dont get KPs and then use

patched 10.8 (v 196.0.0) AppleIntelCPUPM.kext

rollback 10.6 (v 1.3.5) AppleACPIPlatform.kext is needed otherwise USB doesn't wake up.

yup. i have tried just about every method/trick/hint/idea to remove the LCD graphics buffer hangs. but nothing seemed to really work.

EDIDOveride fixes (a nice side effect i found out that i like the gamma/color scheme from the 2008 Macbookpro display settings).

SNBgraphics - bcc9 patches to remove buffers. this worked great on my customac mini that does not have LCD!

Vram patches.

SwitchResX.

etc etc

bottom line is that HD3000 seems to have bug somewhere. i found the LCD will work fine ( w/o buffer hangs) in these 3 situations:

1) in mirrored mode (vs extended screens) to external monitor

2) rotated screen to 90/180

3) using Quartz Debug to turn off 2D acceleration. not good for some apps. but it never hangs.

the first 2 are worthless but interesting IMO - so I use option 3 when i use LCD. but ML it seems to hang a lot less often than 10.7.x. i was hoping 10.8 was fix this but i guess not. real macs seem to have this issue too. so it does seem to be just a hackintosh thing.

• Like 1

@ag6952563 - shared already! at the bottom of my post is the kext-pack i am using and /Extra.

sleep/wake seems to work without SleepEnabler or NullCPUPM. with these 3 things:

Removed /Extra/org*.plist Gen P/C states - so i dont get KPs and then use

patched 10.8 (v 196.0.0) AppleIntelCPUPM.kext

rollback 10.6 (v 1.3.5) AppleACPIPlatform.kext is needed otherwise USB doesn't wake up.

yup. i have tried just about every method/trick/hint/idea to remove the LCD graphics buffer hangs. but nothing seemed to really work.

EDIDOveride fixes (a nice side effect i found out that i like the gamma/color scheme from the 2008 Macbookpro display settings).

SNBgraphics - bcc9 patches to remove buffers. this worked great on my customac mini that does not have LCD!

Vram patches.

SwitchResX.

etc etc

bottom line is that HD3000 seems to have bug somewhere. i found the LCD will work fine ( w/o buffer hangs) in these 3 situations:

1) in mirrored mode (vs extended screens) to external monitor

2) rotated screen to 90/180

3) using Quartz Debug to turn off 2D acceleration. not good for some apps. but it never hangs.

the first 2 are worthless but interesting IMO - so I use option 3 when i use LCD. but ML it seems to hang a lot less often than 10.7.x. i was hoping 10.8 was fix this but i guess not. real macs seem to have this issue too. so it does seem to be just a hackintosh thing.

Thanks tluck, I will try your setup then. As I understand, it is better not to use NullCPU and SleepEnabler.

Thanks tluck! Your bundle has helped me a ton, I couldn't get QE working at all without your combination. I'm attaching FakeSMC 4.2 that I manually downloaded from OSX project. It seems to be different than the one that is provided in ######. It has helped reduced my graphic artifacts/hangs. I did notice after some time they seem to crop up again, but this has far reduced that as well. I also have turned my "Usekernelcache" to no, which has helped also. Hopefully the combination will hold out.

Just an update. I found at least one thing that causes the glitches to return...my download folder. If I have this on the dock, and I download a file all of the glitches return, along with the graphics hangs. When the file is first put into the folder it hangs for a second, then glitches up. Rebooting fixes it. I've removed my folder from the dock (sucks because I like that!) but its helping so far.

FakeSMC.kext.zip

So I have another issue, hopefully someone has had this problem...I can't get the Chimera bootloader to work (nor Chameleon). When I install, and reboot, drive won't boot. I need to use my installer USB to boot up, and then can boot into ML fine. I have tried dd'ing the boot1h files to my drive, still no luck. I did switch from an MBR disk with Lion, and installed fresh with GUID this time, not sure if that would make any difference. Any ideas?