[GUIDE] Thinkpad T420 with (Mountain) Lion

Manwe150

403 posts in this topic

FYI, after spending several hours trying to get the bootloader to work, I officially gave up. I managed to wipe my partition table (oops!) through one of my manual attempts, and had to rebuild. I decided to format as MBR, and give the bootloader a shot again. No issues at all, installed first shot and worked no issue. Now for another hour or migration assistant again and I'll be back and running. :star_sunglasses:

Found one thing that isn't working for me reliably...sleep. When I enter sleep mode (Fn-F4 or lid close) it will sleep, but not every time. Some times I'm greeted by the slow pulsing power light, and I can wake it back up with a power press. The other times I get a rapid flashing power button and it doesn't enter sleep properly. The only option I have is to cold power it off/on. Definitely not idea. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong? This worked flawlessly for me in Lion.

Update: I tried the SleepEnabler.kext that was posted earlier in the thread, and its working reliably for me now.

• 2 weeks later...

i have tested tluck dsdt.aml with my pack (it can be found in earlier post)

but got my screen split in 4 same little image lol

does someone have the issue?

Have you tried the dsdt in the first post? I had similar problems with some other dsdt's posted here, but tluck's and the first post's one work for me.

New issue for me...

Has anyone tried a docking station recently with their setup? I have been traveling a lot the last month, and finally went into the office today to work. Unfortunately, my display (DVI connected to docking station) does not work once I get to the desktop. The system boots up OK, and I get the boot messages (I have verbose boot enabled), however right when the desktop would be displayed the video blanks out. If I open the clamshell I do have a desktop displayed on the laptop display. No matter what I do I cannot get the DVI to work on the dock though.

I tried using VGA from the laptop directly, and that works as a secondary screen. Funny enough though when I try to mirror the displays both turn blue and lock up solid forcing me to reboot to recover. Sleeping/waking left me in the same blue screen state where I can't do anything.

Any ideas?

Have you tried the dsdt in the first post? I had similar problems with some other dsdt's posted here, but tluck's and the first post's one work for me.

thanks for feed back

i tested dsdt of the 1st post with no result

i tested new applehda.kext (no sound here) :(

did someone has a perfect keyboard layout?

I have been reading through this thread and the attached links for the past week working on my new Lenovo T420 with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and think I may have finally stumbled across a solution for the LVDS display and the artifacts and ring stalls.

Check the post below to see how you can use SwitchResX to create a custom resolution profile.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-4530s/33113-hp-probook-4730s-17.html#post379880

I have tried many different things to fix the Intel HD 3000 AppleIntelSNBGraphics kext artifacts and glitches and this has been the best solution I have found so far that works for me. Changing the custom connectors or using the patched AppleIntelSNBGraphics.kext did not seem to work. They reduced the number of artifacts but did not get rid of them and the laptop was mostly unusable, I was about ready to give upon it. I tried different versions of FakeSMC, editing my own DDST, etc.

Basically, just go to System preferences - Display - Color - Create new Calibrated Display, name it Custom Calibrated Display.

Then Install SwitchResX and create a custom resolution profile, apply it and then reboot, afterwards the graphics glitches are gone.

you need layout 12=0x0C in hdef dsdt for this applehda

i try to patch my dsdt.aml to have sound and may be mic with

Device (HDEF)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)

Name (_S3D, 0x03)

Name (RID, 0x00)

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x0D,

0x04

})

Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)

{

Noop

}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"layout-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00

},

"PinConfigurations",

Buffer (Zero) {}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

but get that : (see .jpg)

Can someone help

I think, that you have not set the device type. I am using the same kext with "ID 12" on an EDGE e320 (Cx 20671) with the id corrected HDEF Device, taken from the from Mald0n before posted DSDT.aml.

Device looks like this:

Device (HDEF)
 {
	 Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
	 Name (_S3D, 0x03)
	 Name (RID, Zero)
	 Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
	 {
		 0x0D,
		 0x04
	 })
	 Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
	 {
		 Noop
	 }
	 Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
	 {
		 Store (Package (0x06)
			 {
				 "layout-id",
				 Buffer (0x04)
				 {
					 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
				 },
				 "device-type",
				 Buffer (0x0C)
				 {
					 "Conexant with id 12"
				 },
				 "PinConfigurations",
				 Buffer (0x28)
				 {
					 /* 0000 */ 0x40, 0x10, 0x21, 0x00, 0x50, 0x90, 0xA1, 0x61,
					 /* 0008 */ 0x60, 0x10, 0xA1, 0x00, 0x10, 0x40, 0x21, 0x61,
					 /* 0010 */ 0xF0, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x40, 0x20, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x40,
					 /* 0018 */ 0x30, 0x00, 0x17, 0x90, 0x80, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x40,
					 /* 0020 */ 0x90, 0x00, 0xF0, 0x40, 0x70, 0x00, 0xA6, 0x90
				 }
			 }, Local0)
		 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		 Return (Local0)
	 }
 }

I am having a strange issue with the keyboard on the T420.

Sometimes when it boots it acts as though a key is stuck, usually repeating the number 7, or another character like @@@@. Occaisionally the keyboard does not work and I have to reboot once to fix it.

Has anyone else seen this. I am using the ThinkpadUltraNav, ApplePS2Controller, and AppleACPIPS2Nub kexts that came from tluck's ML-Extra+Kexts.

If anyone has seen something similar or has a suggested fix let me know. Thanks again to everyone for their contributions to the thread, particularly Manwel50, never would have been able to get my T420 up and running without it.

Hi guys,

i want to install snow leopard to my t420!

i have copied the snow leopard dmg to an 250gb usb drive. it's formated as journaled with a guid partition table.

all fine.

but when i but from my hdd with ###### 3.3.0 with the parameter -v for installation, it hangs at the point "waiting for dsmos".

what could i do?

is it a problem with my bios settings?

i want install snow leopard and then upgrade to mountain lion! or is there an other way to install mountain lion directly?

help!

greets

Hi guys,

i want to install snow leopard to my t420!

i have copied the snow leopard dmg to an 250gb usb drive. it's formated as journaled with a guid partition table.

all fine.

but when i but from my hdd with ###### 3.3.0 with the parameter -v for installation, it hangs at the point "waiting for dsmos".

what could i do?

is it a problem with my bios settings?

i want install snow leopard and then upgrade to mountain lion! or is there an other way to install mountain lion directly?

help!

greets

The T420's processor and graphics card isn't fully supported on Snow Leopard (although in theory it should still boot). However, you can install Mountain Lion directly. Tonymacx86 has directions and prebuilt installers for making a bootable drive out of your Mac App Store or store.apple.com purchase.

i update my pack to be closer to tluck's one (post 117)

differences are :

- FakeSMC.kext (cos no park @boot)

- dsdt.aml that i can't update to have sound even withe the advices i received) all others mods are ok

i add

SleepEnabler.kext and VoodooSDHC.kext the last AppleIntelE1000e.kext

and use genuine AppleHDA

---

i use old AppleIntelE1000e.kext (not 2.0 version cos for unknown reason ethernet doesn't work with 2.0)

my T420 works (battery indicator ok, ethernet ok, usb and cam ok) my system is up to date all updates done

10.8.2_ supplemental updates

find my pack in my signature (not as great as tluck pack but better than nothing

Update oct 8th

Hey guys for those with a nvidia Quadro 4200m you can get a partial fix by instaling the Nvidia 4xx/5xx support from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (or atleast open CL),

Dont know if its right or not but on system specs I've found nvidia nvs on t420/520 not connected to any video outs on laptop and use HD3000 to out video. But if it has gpu switch option in bios like W520 has I think its possible to use it with nvidia card... otherwise not big difference between NVS and HD3000 in this case, maybe only if you need some cuda capabilities it may help a bit

Hey guys for those with a nvidia Quadro 4200m you can get a partial fix by instaling the Nvidia 4xx/5xx support from the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] (or atleast open CL),

Dont know if its right or not but on system specs I've found nvidia nvs on t420/520 not connected to any video outs on laptop and use HD3000 to out video. But if it has gpu switch option in bios like W520 has I think its possible to use it with nvidia card... otherwise not big difference between NVS and HD3000 in this case, maybe only if you need some cuda capabilities it may help a bit

ive disabled my Hd 3000 in my Bios so it only runs my Nvs quadro, like i said the patch makes Open CL work, but i guess it lacks complete hardware acceleration (chess wont work), we might be able to get the full QE/CI by using a modified fermi kext