P8P67Pro and Non Pro Lion install usb for dummies..

^Andy^

654 posts in this topic

I'm afraid I can't offer much help because I don't use an Nvidia card or a Sabertooth motherboard but hopefully somebody that owns one or the other will be able to step up and offer you some help.
is there anything I can do to help you get it working on the Sabertooth? I've heard you can extract DSDTs but have no idea how. (or how to edit it to get HDMI audio as mentioned here)

Your flashing _ usually means that either you didnt make the partition active in a dual boot environment or your partition table is fubar (or you are unlucky enough to own a recent WD hard drive that for some reason hates chameleon).
It's a Seagate drive in the USB enclosure, and it's not very recent. (3.5" 160GB) As mentioned, it works if I install chameleon RC5 then your package on top, but I suspect that's why I have weird things showing up like the MacBook Pro/iMac confusion. I made it so that the install partition was the only one on the drive, but im not sure if there's anything else I should be doing? It will not boot with the UEFI: Drivename option in the BIOS, only the Drivename option.

Andy, many many thanks yet again. Your guide for a USB stick has helped me do the local install as well as I was getting kernel panics.

I just downloaded from iTunes the Lion app. Ran it. Created the local Installer partition. Moved the files with XMover. Then copied your /Extra folder, ran your Sabertooth P67 package installer against the local partition. Rebooted and 10 minutes later a nicely working Lion upgrade.

Thanks ;)

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the guide. A little stuck. I made the boot drive and installed andyboot on both the boot drive and my internal SSD. The boot drive launched and installed but now I'm getting kernel panics whenever I boot from the SSD.

Help!

Ok, for those of you who may end up in the same situation, here was my solution to get out of kernel panic purgatory.

At chameleon, boot into single user...let it process and then when it gives you the option to exit, do so and you'll find yourself at the desktop of Lion! For some reason this then allows you to bypass whatever was causing the Kernel to poop itself. Once at the desktop, run the correct package for your board (mine was p8p67 pro) and then give it a restart. My first restart took about 10 minutes before it actually restarted (subsequent shutdowns/startups have been normal in length.)

In addition, I tried a few of the terminal commands out there to turn TRIM support back on, but they all caused my startup disk to no longer be recognized, thus requiring a reinstallation of Lion. What did work is TRIM enabler. Cheers to http://www.groths.org/?p=308 Oskar Groth for that one.

11 - Once restore is complete go to the system, installation folder on the usb stick or drive and delete the 'Packages' alias

Hi guys, ive been follow andy's post since snow leopard. I was wondering about something in step 11. I was wondering where is the location of the packages folder as i couldn't locate it. I can see the 1 that i need to copy over but i just couldn't find the 1 that i need to delete which is inside my newly build boot drive.

Can some one here please enlighten me? Thanks a million.

I'm having the same problem as one other respondent I see here: I get to the white screen with the gray Apple logo and twirling gear, where it sits forever.

Booting in verbose mode I see several USB timeout errors (4 or 5), then the screen fills with "Media not available" messages scrolling by really fast.

It seems as though the USB stick drops off the bus at some point in the boot.

Any ideas? I suppose I could try burning to a DVD...

When I had that it was because the boot plist no longer had GraphicsEnabler set to Yes, and I had dual screens. Single screen connected, quick edit and adding the graphics mode and I was back in business :unsure:

Another time, but pre Lion, it was because of my Drobo drive that was connected. Perhaps a possibility, just remove all connections for the first time, let it do its thing and then bring the peripherals back.

Hope that helps.

I'm having the same problem as one other respondent I see here: I get to the white screen with the gray Apple logo and twirling gear, where it sits forever.

Booting in verbose mode I see several USB timeout errors (4 or 5), then the screen fills with "Media not available" messages scrolling by really fast.

It seems as though the USB stick drops off the bus at some point in the boot.

Any ideas? I suppose I could try burning to a DVD...

Well, I've rebuilt that damned USB boot drive 8 times over the last two days, using three different USB keys, you know, just in case.

Every time I try to boot from one of them now I see this:

boot0: GPT

boot0: test

boot0: error

Hopefully the cause of this problem is painfully obvious to someone here, 'cause I'm running out of steam.

aZNGq.png

Specs:

• ASUS Sabertooth P67 (1850)
  • Intel Core i5 2500K
  • 2x4GB RAM
  • Nvidia GTX 570

Slightly OT, but how are you getting your RAM to run at 1600 on a Core i5? Unless overclocked, that should not go above 1333. If overclocked, what are you running it at?

1722923[/url]']

Slightly OT, but how are you getting your RAM to run at 1600 on a Core i5? Unless overclocked, that should not go above 1333. If overclocked, what are you running it at?

I just enabled the RAM's XMP profile in the BIOS. It's under "AI Overclocker" I think?

It's Corsair Vengeance sticks that are rated for 1600MHz. The system is running at 4.5GHz too, but it doesn't seem to show up in OS X. Is there a list of everything Andy has done in this package? I still can't get it to work right and was wondering if it could be done manually or something. That said, I've spent the last few days trying to figure out how I should edit my DSDT to enable HDMI Audio and am getting nowhere. (though it sounds like that edit should be made regardless of whether you plan on using HDMI audio or now)

I am starting to dig into this thread to install Lion on my P8P67 Pro, but I have a couple of questions:

1. The guide starts with steps for the usb stick preparation, but what about the BIOS? do i need to enable/disable things to make it compatible? what bios versions are supported?
  2. Does this setup work with mbr or do i need to repartition the disk as guid? i have a 1tb disk for storage, i want to put Lion on a part of it.
  3. Step 10 took about 5 hours !!!! is this normal? I have SL 10.6.7 running in a VMware under Windows7. mkboot method did the job much faster, but booting with the usb will freeze with a black screen after loading some kernel stuff.
  4. After Step 10, when i went to see the contents of the usb drive, there was no Packages alias :s i copied mine on the root.

I read the whole thread but there was nothing about special settings in the bios.

[*]The guide starts with steps for the usb stick preparation, but what about the BIOS? do i need to enable/disable things to make it compatible? what bios versions are supported?

I've used it on the 15xx and 16xx bios versions wothout issue. The only thing that you really need to worry about in the bios is to ensure that your sata drives are set to AHCI.

[*]Does this setup work with mbr or do i need to repartition the disk as guid? i have a 1tb disk for storage, i want to put Lion on a part of it.

For MBR installs you will need to modify the finished USB stick - have a look here http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=812

[*]Step 10 took about 5 hours !!!! is this normal? I have SL 10.6.7 running in a VMware under Windows7. mkboot method did the job much faster, but booting with the usb will freeze with a black screen after loading some kernel stuff.

No I would say that is definitely not normal - I'm pretty sure it takes less than 40 minutes on my system!

[*]After Step 10, when i went to see the contents of the usb drive, there was no Packages alias :s i copied mine on the root.

Did you remember to run 'ShowAllFiles' ?

I've managed to install 10.7 fine and I ran the Pro installer package without problem. My problem is when I try to boot the computer. The only way I can get it to boot into Lion is to use the bootloader included in the thumbdrive. AndyBoot CD v5 wont work (which is how I had to boot into SL) and when I try to boot directly off of the hard drive I get the following error:

I have the P8P67 Pro mobo, I7-2600k, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, 2x 2TB Caviar Black HDs, 2x Gigabyte HD 5770, a LG BD drive, and a LG DVD Drive

What am I doing wrong?

I've managed to install 10.7 fine and I ran the Pro installer package without problem. My problem is when I try to boot the computer. The only way I can get it to boot into Lion is to use the bootloader included in the thumbdrive. AndyBoot CD v5 wont work (which is how I had to boot into SL) and when I try to boot directly off of the hard drive I get the following error:

I have the P8P67 Pro mobo, I7-2600k, 16 gig Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, 2x 2TB Caviar Black HDs, 2x Gigabyte HD 5770, a LG BD drive, and a LG DVD Drive

What am I doing wrong?

If you had to use the bootcd to boot into snow leopard and the usb to boot into lion I would suggest that something is wrong with your hard disk partitioning.

If you had to use the bootcd to boot into snow leopard and the usb to boot into lion I would suggest that something is wrong with your hard disk partitioning.

What do I need to check to see if that is the problem? I partitioned the HD's using Disk Utility.

For MBR installs you will need to modify the finished USB stick - have a look here http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=812

I recreated the usb with the mkinstall script (page 1), then i applied the mbr patch, and was able to install on a seconady partition on one of my 1TB drives (I had a 1TB partition, i reduce the size and at the end created a 50 GB Mac HFS+ journaled partition), and with the USB i can boot to the Lion, but the audio and lan (and surely the rest of the P8P67 devices) are not working.

I download and copied the "P8P67 Pro Package" on the Lion copy. When i start the installer, it says it will install the drivers AND the chameleon boot to the destination drive, what will happen in my case? I have it on a at the end of a drive. will it work? will the bootloader be installed on the sub partition or on the main mbr of the drive? will it mess up the first NTFS partition?

At the moment i don't really need to make the system bootable, i can manage to boot from a usb stick, i just need the correct drivers installed.

Questions:

1. Is this suitable for a clean Lion install, as in a brand new Hackintosh without a prior Snow Leopard install?

2. I'm making my bootable USB stick from a current Lion install on my Macbook. There is no option in disk utility to untick the 'erase contents' box during the restore process.

3. Once I did do a restore, obviously erasing the contents, I ran the P8P67 Installer package, but it wouldn't let me install on the USB drive. It said the contents could not be changed.

Can anyone please help me out?

Questions:

1. Is this suitable for a clean Lion install, as in a brand new Hackintosh without a prior Snow Leopard install?

2. I'm making my bootable USB stick from a current Lion install on my Macbook. There is no option in disk utility to untick the 'erase contents' box during the restore process.

3. Once I did do a restore, obviously erasing the contents, I ran the P8P67 Installer package, but it wouldn't let me install on the USB drive. It said the contents could not be changed.

Can anyone please help me out?

Dude, if you follow the guide and have problems I will 'try' and help.

You didn't follow the guide and decided to try a different method involving a macbook so I can't help you (I don't have a macbook so can't reproduce whatever the hell you did).

Sorry but you are on your own!

Dude, if you follow the guide and have problems I will 'try' and help.

You didn't follow the guide and decided to try a different method involving a macbook so I can't help you (I don't have a macbook so can't reproduce whatever the hell you did).

Sorry but you are on your own!

Um, what different method did I try? I used your method. I booted into Lion on my Mac. I guess I assumed since I was following your guide on OS X it didn't matter what system I used to compile the USB stick/bootloader. I don't have Snow Leopard presently installed on a hackintosh, so I had to use my Macbook to download Lion from the App Store. I'm not quite sure how that's a different method...all I did was follow your directions. There is NOTHING involving a Macbook in my method other than that I am assembling the USB Stick on my Macbook. When I downloaded Lion from the App Store, I saved the InstallESD.dmg file on my Macbook. I only mention it because I was wondering if this guide was for a clean Lion install or to upgrade a current Snow Leopard hackintosh to Lion.

There's nothing different about my method that I can tell. I'm doing every step in the guideline. In OS X I erase the USB Stick, restore OS X Basesystem to the USB Stick (using Disk Utility), copy Extras, Packages, and Mach_kernel, but my hangup is where I'm running the P8P67 support package. Since I already restored OS X Basesystem to the USB stick, it won't let me install anything else to the USB stick.

Can I install the P8P67 pack to a separate USB stick and run it from that?

That's odd :wacko:

I have no idea why it won't let you install to the usb stick - it 'should' - The sticks not full is it?

You could try formatting a small spare usb stick as mac journalled, copy the extra folder it and try running the pack against that stick - it may work as a bootloader for the other stick - I've never tried that myself but it 'could' work in theory.

Hello seems like I am the only one having the problem here.....

I'm writing through my reinstalled 10.6.8 Snow leopard.

I tried installing OS X Lion (the GM version) from a fresh install or updating from snow leopard but without success.... (3 times already). My problem is the following :

Everything went fine (from creating bootable usb with OS X Lion installation to installing the system).

However when I try to boot my HDD through my USB stick from the first time (after the successful installation of Lion), I keep getting kernel panic (saying "unable to find driver for this platform...)

It's not my version but I got something like that (report got from internet) :

this is what it says on the screen.

panic (cpu 0 caller 0x0043913f): unable to find driver for this platform: \ACPI\" .\in"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.15.4/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.ccp:1407

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (cpu 0), frame : return address (4 potential args on stack)

0x54dabdd8 : (SOME NUMBERS)

........BE28 : ....

..........BE48 : ....

........BEA8 : ....

........BF28 : ....

............78 : .....

..........C8 : ......

backtrace terminated-invalid fram pointer 0

BSD process name corresponding to current thread : Unknown

Mac OS version:

Not yet set

Kernel version:

Darwi9n Kernel version 9.8.0: wed jul 15 16:55:01 pdt 2009; root:xnu-1228.15.4~1/RELESE_I386

system uptime in nanoseconds : 156433694

I don't know what to do anymore and don't know what I'm doing wrong since I followed the great guide step to step ... Did I forgot to do something preventing me from booting under Lion ?

My config

i7 2600k

Motherboard : Asus p8p67 LE (I choose the Standard version from andy boot package for installing Lion)

No DSDT.aml

Thanks for answering because I start to lose hope (I think it's the fourth time I use Timemachine to 10.6.8 in order to reinstall Lion...)

I have the exact same issue with my Sabertooth P67.

I followed this guide, everything went fine till the end of the install process. https://twitter.com/#!/Thireus

Once I try to boot the OS it says unable to find driver for this platform: \ACPI\" .\in"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.15.4/iokit/kernel/IOPlatformExpert.ccp:1407 resulting in a KP.

Any suggestions?

System specs:

http://www.overclock.net/system.php?i=80062

That's odd :wacko:

I have no idea why it won't let you install to the usb stick - it 'should' - The sticks not full is it?

You could try formatting a small spare usb stick as mac journalled, copy the extra folder it and try running the pack against that stick - it may work as a bootloader for the other stick - I've never tried that myself but it 'could' work in theory.

Nope, the stick had 1.3GB of space left, give or take. I also tried formatting a spare stick (4GB) and installing to that. The installer gave me an error to the tune of "Installation could not be completed." I'm thinking fate just doesn't want me to have a hackintosh. :/

Managed to get through that. However I'm stuck at the point where the logo of apple appears. THe wheel keeps spinning and it doesn't want to boot...

How the heck did you fixed it??????????? Share share share!!!

This issue is making me crazy. Dummies guide, I'm probably more than an idiot... >_<

Hi andy, thanks for the tutorial.. my sabertooth p67 is running now Lion !

Couple of questions.

1- is the speed step working whit this ?

2-the kernel cache feature can be enable ? ( how )

Thanks !

Can you tell me which BIOS version you're using please? And if you made any changes.

EDIT:

waiting.jpg