SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

Thanks worked great on Asus G74SX-XT1 Laptop from TigerDirect (CompUSA) with Lion GM.

MSRDumper CoreMulti(8)

MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 26 27 28 29

Intel i7 quad Mobile 2630.

Sure.

Also,

I have an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, as well. I do not use any DSDT or SSDT and it kind of works. There is a bug in the BIOS that causes only turbo ratios to work for speedstepping if you override any setting in the advanced menu. If you reset your BIOS and use the stock settings, speedstepping will work correctly. HardOCP (First paragraph under "Kyle's Thoughts") outlined this bug, as well. With that said, using the Lion DP4 kext, I have seen it reach 16 34 35 36 37 48. I have my turbo ratio set to 4.8GHz so the 48 doesn't surprise me. I don't quite understand where it got 34, 35, 36, and 37 from. Maybe it's default to the next lower set of turbo ratios?

Anyway, as long as I can have it idle at 1.6GHz and jump up to 4.8GHz under load, I really don't care about anything else in between.

Are you using Chameleon?

I worked on some automating feature to speed things up, but a dynamic patcher is not feasible at the moment.

I will however release a version that will support all the previous versions and check for their md5.

EDIT: was only a caching issue, fully working on Lion GM! Updated post #1

MSRDumper still showing only 16 + Turbo States with iMac12,2 definition..

Check first post, I edited my post.

Edit: you must have removed it while I was trying to download it ;)

Yeah I first got a KP on the patched 166.0.0 version so I attached it for testing, but it was only a caching error.

The current stepper program for iMac12 in Lion only reaches 16 + Turbo States, yes.

I'm still not sure at this point what we are missing or if we are missing anything at all.

If they don't change it for release we need to replace the stepper program and use the one from 10.6.8 which is working fine.

@flaKed:

With the updated smbios.plist and freshly patched AICPUPM with speedstepper Lion GM:

MSRDumper CoreMulti(8)

MSRDumper PStatesReached: 8 16 19 21 22 24 26 27 28 29

Wow Thanks!!!!

@flAked,

These are basically the Extra files from MaLd0n Auto Patcher Thread:

smbios.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosdate</key>
<string>02/07/11</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MBP81.88Z.0047.B04.1102071707</string>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-942459F5819B171B</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacBookPro</string>
<key>SMmanufactuer</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacBookPro8,3</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

com.apple.boot.plist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Nothing special really. Just to make sure the SMboardproduct string is authentic and generate P and C states. Using Chameleon boot file build 1114/1115 for now because Azimutz set me up a chameleon module for the GTX 560M which should eventually catch the next release.

Ah yes, the difference being that you are using MacBookPro8,3.

I can't imagine that the new stepper program for iMac12,2 is intended that way, but we need confirmation on the real hardware to know if we are missing something.

• Like 1

Ah yes, the difference being that you are using MacBookPro8,3.

I can't imagine that the new stepper program for iMac12,2 is intended that way, but we need confirmation on the real hardware to know if we are missing something.

I have a MAcBook Pro early 2011 i7 but 2.3 GHz I can try MSRDumper on. I could also run to best buy an run it on a iMAC 12,2?

Let me know if that information would help or not?

Running MSRDumper on the real iMac12,2 would help, yes. But only if it's running Lion GM, which I doubt they installed?

If you have a MBP you could do an Lion GM on a USB drive and plug that in at the shop, as it obviously doesn't require any modification.

I'm having the same problem as Regae had...

Speedstep seems to work (my Mainboard has some LEDs which indicate the Powerstates... and they are blinking as like in Windows) I did not try to use MSRDump to view the Powerstates yet. Sleep works flawless, too.

...But my Geekbench score went down. (ca. 5800). :blink:

I'm on a MSI P67A-GD55 with a i7 2600K, OSX 10.6.8 booting up with Chimera v1.4.1 r877. I've inserted a modified DSDT.aml (thx to MaDl0n) and a SSDT-1.aml for my CPU, using a iMac 12,2-smbios and added "GeneratePStates",PStates... in boot.plist.

So what to do to fix my performance problem? :)

Please help...

One thing: I've put the iMac smbios.plist in "Extras" folder, but the one I've found here differs a lot from the one given by tonymacx86's [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], it's much much longer. I've tried both, but no difference. Or is the Extras folder not the right location?

Hi all and thank you for what you're doing

Joshua7 I don't think your speedstep is working, mine is not and CPU is stuck at 1.6 Ghz.

I'm running on MSI P67A-GD65 and I have patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext with Flaked Speedsteper and now is loading and sleep is working without SleepEnabler.kext.

I've tried also to ad to Extra an SSDT.aml for my i5 2400 but nothing changed.

@buoo How to Boot dropping patched acpi tables ?

Have you added the iMac12_2.plist in ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugIn?

I'm running 10.6.8 and iMac12_2.plist already exist in ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugIn. Is not the same ?

Anyway, in 10.6.7 I've added it and it was the same.

DropSSDT=NO DSDT=/HiGeticus

Warning, They are case sensitive!

Thank you buoo. Maybe I'll abuse "Warning, They are case sensitive!" whats that mean ?

I already have DropSSDT=No in com.apple.boot.plist

Thank you buoo. Maybe I'll abuse "Warning, They are case sensitive!" whats that mean ?

I already have DropSSDT=No in com.apple.boot.plist

Writing DSDT=/Extra/DSDT.aml is different of writing DSDT=/Extra/DsDt.aml