SpeedStepper (now supports Mountain Lion 10.8.3)

flAked

574 posts in this topic

Sorry dude, but you will have to do some reading, all your questions have already been answered. We discussed this in over 30 pages...

Please keep this thread purely on the tool itself and any problems arising with it, thank you.

I tried the patcher on DP4, but it can't find the right bits, looks like Apple updated aicpupm again.

can't wait for an update to test it on my P8P67 Deluxe ;)

try to use aicpupm from DP3 v156, DP4 v159

i can boot without nullcpupm in DP4 with this method,

but i cant get speedstepper worked, only 16 38 PStatereached

New SpeedStepper supports Lion DP4!

Please note that the new stepper program for iMac12,2 only gives me two P-States at the moment, 16 and 37. I don't know at this point if SMC_PlatformPlugin is looking for some new keys / ssdt objects.

The Speedstep part works for me :)

Jun 13 23:18:16 lain kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(48)

Jun 13 23:18:16 lain kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 48

Jun 13 23:18:16 lain kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(48)

Jun 13 23:18:16 lain kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 48

Jun 13 23:18:17 lain kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Jun 13 23:18:17 lain kernel[0]: MSRDumper PStatesReached: 16 48

Jun 13 23:18:17 lain kernel[0]: MSRDumper CoreMulti(16)

Its the same behavior like Windows, on idle it sits on 1600, under load it goes into turbo (overclocked at 4800), i am happy with it :)

Sleep didn't work, i don't know why but it goes into deepsleep (image) and not s3, without SpeedStepper it freezes immediately on sleep.

Its the same behavior like Windows, on idle it sits on 1600, under load it goes into turbo (overclocked at 4800), i am happy with it :)

I'm not aware of any program for windows that will show all states reached, most of the time, if you run a benchmark under windows you will just see the highest multiplier (using CPU-Z for example).

In SnowLeopard I get a nice curve of 9 P-States being used depending on the load.

Sleep didn't work, i don't know why but it goes into deepsleep (image) and not s3, without SpeedStepper it freezes immediately on sleep.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

SpeedStepper v1.2 for Lion DP4 (beta)

Only works with AICPUPM v159.0.0 (64bit)

Also see MSRDumper for debugging P-States!

I tried the DP4 speedstepper script. Looks runs perfectly in terminal, finding and changing some values that i don´t understand.

In boot, with -v, i get the error in screen file below. with -v -x, the machine restart.

I´m using chameleon 1011 whith SSDT-1.aml and DDST.aml in /Extra folder.

Thanks for the tool again.

post-399906-1308182854_thumb.jpg

dsdt_ssdt.zip

The photo isn't very crisp, is ECX = 0xE2?

You have

External (\_PR_.CPU0, DeviceObj)

in your SSDT, but no definition for it in the DSDT.

You also might want to look up some basic DSDT editing to change device names and do some basic fixes.

And keep in mind that this only works for 64bit for DP4, the 32bit kext isn't patched at all.

The photo isn't very crisp, is ECX = 0xE2?

You have

External (\_PR_.CPU0, DeviceObj)

in your SSDT, but no definition for it in the DSDT.

You also might want to look up some basic DSDT editing to change device names and do some basic fixes.

And keep in mind that this only works for 64bit for DP4, the 32bit kext isn't patched at all.

Thank you very much Flaked!

I will ask some help for the guy of DSDT, Mr. Mald0n...

I'm not aware of any program for windows that will show all states reached, most of the time, if you run a benchmark under windows you will just see the highest multiplier (using CPU-Z for example).

In SnowLeopard I get a nice curve of 9 P-States being used depending on the load.

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

pmset and clocking down to 4,6ghz (to disable PLL because of Intel hibernate restriction) did the trick, after sleep the system takes about 1-1.5 minutes to resume, but it works ;)

thanks for the patcher and your reply :)

Hi Flaked...

I tried some modifications in dsdt made by maldon but i didn´t get sucess..

In SL, my hack have only 2 states, 16 and 38 (turbo).

I tried to use your dsdt and ssdt but did not work..

If possible, in your time, could you please look at my acpi.bin, restored in windows whith aida64 software, and sugest me a dsdt and ssdt to run Snow Leopard with a perfect powermanagement?

I will wait the final version of lion to try the speedsteeper again..

Thanks from Brazil!

acpi_dsdt.bin.zip

My DSDT is only for the P8P67 version of the board.

RevoBoot will soon have an automatic injection for power management / sleep, where you don't need a custom made DSDT/SSDT.

There are a couple of more steps involved to get SpeedStep working fully, though. I will work on my guide next week, quite busy at the moment.

Have a look here in the mean time: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253642

Thanks and sorry breaking the rule #3!

i saw your work used by a lot of people in diferent comunities. Great Job.

I'm trying to compile revoboot for my hack, but i didn't get sucess.. :)

I tried revobuilder, but i didn´t found the correct version of source. So, i run revobuilder to make the config, and copy the data.h files to the newest source code direcoty. After,i run make with default settings.h . Than i copied the boot file to my root disk, replacing the chameleon trunk version.

The hack startup with disc acess, but it didn't finish the osx load. Stops in apple logo screen. :wacko:

So, I think you could answer my doubt... When i compile revoboot, the make command includes the ACPI extracting?

I ran into this problem, can you help?

sudo ./speedstepper /AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

SpeedStepper v1.0 - © flAked 2011

for AICPUPM v142.6.0

unable to open file, try running as root

: No such file or directory

both files is in the same folder.

I ran into this problem, can you help?

sudo ./speedstepper /AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

SpeedStepper v1.0 - © flAked 2011

for AICPUPM v142.6.0

unable to open file, try running as root

: No such file or directory

both files is in the same folder.

extract speedstepper to your desktop and type in terminal

Sudo bash

(Type ur password)

Cd /Users/NAMEOFYOURUSERS/Desktop

(Return)

./speedstepper /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

If u don't understand what is ur NAMEOFYOURUSERS, try this

Extract speedstepper to your root HD,

Open terminal

Sudo bash

(Password)

Cd /

./speedstepper /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

Do u get it?

• Like 1

extract speedstepper to your desktop and type in terminal

Sudo bash

(Type ur password)

Cd /Users/NAMEOFYOURUSERS/Desktop

(Return)

If u don't understand what is ur NAMEOFYOURUSERS, try this

Extract speedstepper to your root HD,

Open terminal

Sudo bash

(Password)

Cd /

Do u get it?

no sir. I am on 10.6.8 with AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext version 142.6.0

Usage: ./speedstepper binary

bash-3.2# /Users/JC/Desktop/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

bash: /Users/JC/Desktop/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: cannot execute binary file

bash-3.2#

Usage: ./speedstepper binary

bash-3.2# /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

bash: /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: cannot execute binary file

./speedstepper /path/to/AICPUPM

Thank you, ty,ty,ty!!!!!

I was told by MaLd0n to use this along with my custom dsdt.aml that he created. flAked, can you tell me what else I need to get speedstep working? I have a Asus G73SW laptop with Core I7 2630qm, hm65, gtx460, usb 3.0, alc0269. Not desktop computer. Can this work on my laptop?

No need to post the output here, it'll make the thread hard to read, thanks.

It's a SandyBridge laptop right? You'll need processor definitions in your dsdt and a correct ssdt_pr.

The current version of RevoBoot supports automatic creation of both of them, but this new method is still in testing and I haven't wrote a guide for it yet.

I don't have the time to step you through it, you need to do some reading: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253642

Also see the threads in my sig, my knowledge base about setting up a SandyBridge system with RevoBoot is still in progress, though.

Haven't updated yet.

Mrmojo tells me that at least the version number is the same.

Both the version number and file size are the same, but checksum differs. I started to manually patch AICPUPM from 10.6.8 with Hiew using diff as a reference, and it suddenly appeared, that offsets of all the relevant WRMSR opcodes remain unchanged.

Immediate experiment showed that current SpeedStepper does the job, no need for update (still may be worth to amend the description in the first post?)

Thanks a lot for your efforts, flAked

P.S. for lenovo laptop owners: ThinkPad BIOS also blocks write operations to 0xe2, confirmed with latest BIOS BITS 438, you have to use the patch to get native PM.