Chameleon v2.1 (Main Trunk)

ErmaC

595 posts in this topic

Thanks Azimutz...

Another thing, I am now booting Ubuntu with the other O/S 's I already have, and it is very well managed by the Chameleon bootloader which recognised it immediately...

Ubuntu 10.10 is great, as good as OS X, plus there are all these freebies that one finds with it... and no need to sweat for drivers...

but it was not always like that for Linux ;-)

btw I got the dsdt.aml from it, and event though my graphics card is fully recognised with 3D and openGL, no info gets captured in the dsdt.aml (from checking dsdt.dsl)...

I wonder why that is?

Ubuntu 10.10 is great, as good as OS X,...

Blasphemy!!.. :)

yeah, Linux is nice. Just wish software/hardware developers gave it at least the same support they give to OS X.

btw I got the dsdt.aml from it, and event though my graphics card is fully recognised with 3D and openGL, no info gets captured in the dsdt.aml (from checking dsdt.dsl)...

I wonder why that is?

You are just dumping the table already stored on the machine, which is not changed by the system.

Mine also doesn't have any graphics info, the desktop one, i mean.. the laptop does have graphics stuff.

Blasphemy!!.. :P

yeah, Linux is nice. Just wish software/hardware developers gave it at least the same support they give to OS X.

You are just dumping the table already stored on the machine, which is not changed by the system.

Mine also doesn't have any graphics info, the desktop one, i mean.. the laptop does have graphics stuff.

So I guess if I wish to fool around with it, it is a matter of putting the info myself using as a guide what others did... :)

that is going to be an interesting homework :)

hello, just want to tell you that the grafikenabler from 1158 works the first time with my Nvidia GTS450

error message before:

nVidia GeForce GTS 450 1024MB NVc3 [10de:0dc4] :: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
Bad Display Configuration Block signature (UPUQUU?)
ERROR: nVidia ROM Patching Failed!

should F10 scan for IDE drives too?

When compiling for the "boot0" or "boot0hfs" using the config switch, is there a way to just compile for that booter, instead of compiling for the whole trunk? No biggy, but I'd like to create both boot files without having to do the full compile. Possible?

MAJ

hello, just want to tell you that the grafikenabler from 1158 works the first time with my Nvidia GTS450

Hi Carstiman.. that's good news, but strange at the same time;

nothing special was done to the code and your dev id was already present.

Do you dual boot with windows?... i know, the question seems to have nothing to do with graphics problems,

but check this post on tonymac...

should F10 scan for IDE drives too?

Not sure about this... why do you ask?

I'm looking for the latest Chameleon RC5 (trunk) with the Lion patch applied.

I downloaded the trunk, but there is no Lion support:...

Lion support was added "long" time ago! Why do you say there's no support?

Use

svn co -r HEAD http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/trunk

to get just the trunk, if you like.

When compiling for the "boot0" or "boot0hfs" using the config switch, is there a way to just compile for that booter, instead of compiling for the whole trunk? No biggy, but I'd like to create both boot files without having to do the full compile. Possible?

MAJ

Not using "make config". You can compile the file directly with e.g.

nasm boot0.s -o boot0

Check "man nasm"; also check the attached boot0.s against the current one for necessary code edit :(

boot0.s.zip

Not using "make config". You can compile the file directly with e.g.

nasm boot0.s -o boot0

Check "man nasm"; also check the attached boot0.s against the current one for necessary code edit :)

Cool! I'm learning this stuff and find it amazing that all these tools are accessable via command line.

But, in using nasm none of the symbols in source are defined for compiling. The man page doesn't show any way to include the Makefile rules, but I suppose that is what make is for. I can see that in the makefile, the symbols are defined and nasm is run. I'm liking this stuff. :D

To just build boot0, run make config, ensure the correct option is checked, the browse to the boot0 directory and run make.

Awesome. This works a treat.

You guys are great! Thanks, again.

MAJ

To just build boot0, run make config, ensure the correct option is checked, the browse to the boot0 directory and run make.

Damn thing... i'm pretty sure i did that and it failed... but that was before dinner, brain was hungry :(

Thanks Mek, i was hoping that would read this.

Cool! I'm learning this stuff and find it amazing that all these tools are accessable via command line.

But, in using nasm none of the symbols in source are defined for compiling. The man page doesn't show any way to include the Makefile rules, but I suppose that is what make is for. I can see that in the makefile, the symbols are defined and nasm is run. I'm liking this stuff. biggrin.gif

Correct, that's why i posted the edited boot0.s; if you run nasm on it, it will do the job.

Yeah, this stuff is great and Mek been tuning in some great stuff; i only gave you the command tip because

i wasn't able to do it like he explained... i knew he had this setup.

Hi meklort,

with your branch in the past I was able to do "make image" to create a bootable ISO.

Now with trunk I can't. Can you add the feature to the makefile?

Just so you know when i upgraded from 1083 to 1156 it caused a KP any clue what is causing the conflict with the boot loader This a asus g73sw using the kexts from a post under laptops ps this is LION GM

laptop post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=261968

Just so you know when i upgraded from 1083 to 1156 it caused a KP any clue what is causing the conflict with the boot loader This a asus g73sw using the kexts from a post under laptops ps this is LION GM

laptop post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=261968

enable c states and p states causes a kernel panic if checked in sys pref

PS>>S After upgradeing it to 1160 ... just a sec ago now no gui for boot menu and as long as i dont check c and p state in the prefpanle it wont kp if you need any info ill be more than happy to send it your way

my boot file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>DSDT</key>

<string>/Extra/dsdt.aml</string>

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,1)</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Hide Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,2) hd(0,3) </string>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v</string>

<key>Rename Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,1) Windows7</string>

<key>RestartFix</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>SMBIOS</key>

<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Bullet</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>2</string>

<key>Wait</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

and yes it is named correctly

my sys info

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7 (11A511)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.00 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 400 MHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B04

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Hardware UUID: 64BFEC8E-601A-5A2A-9A12-97D03DDF236C

I am wanting ti to default to my windows 7 partition but it won't for some reason

ok got the partition map fixed .... even know this is the second drive the boot loader thinks its the first ... weird however now i get a nother panic this seems to be random

post-310077-1310733832_thumb.jpg

post-310077-1310734005_thumb.jpg

post-310077-1310737073_thumb.jpg

post-310077-1310737092_thumb.jpg

post-310077-1310739925_thumb.jpg

I know you're not supposed to edit the autoconfig files (3 of them), but I'm writing a script to automatically build both boot0 booters (bootable HFS+ first and active partitions first) in advance. I see what needs to be edited, so is it safe to edit the three files at the root of the source, or are there other considerations I must make?

What I'm not exactly clear on is whether these are the only files that get edited by the configuration utility, which I wish to bypass.

best of wishes,

MAJ

I don't know if this has been said before

Install Chameleon to an HFS+ formatted USB stick.

Try booting, it detects the OS X root partition as hd(1,2) instead of hd(0,2) and keeps giving an error about not finding the mach_kernel.

Sorry if this has been asked, answered before

Install Chameleon to an HFS+ formatted USB stick.

Try booting, it detects the OS X root partition as hd(1,2) instead of hd(0,2) and keeps giving an error about not finding the mach_kernel.

Doc, that's just how Chameleon works; for him, the volume were it's installed it's always hd(0,x); other hd's are shown in the bios order.

About the kernel, i can check, but it should find it; it's always loaded from the select volume.

Beware that the boot0 that Chameleon compilation produces by default is in fact boot0hfs.

<key>Default Partition</key>

<string>hd(0,1)</string>

I am wanting ti to default to my windows 7 partition but it won't for some reason

Linear, read above...

and yes it is named correctly

enable c states and p states causes a kernel panic if checked in sys pref

Are you sure?... and this, "... in sys pref", what does it mean?.. Boot.plist in system preferences?

weird however now i get a nother panic this seems to be random

Not sure about this kp; can't test Lion.

-----//-----

p.s.: compiled binaries can be downloaded from Voodoo forums; follow the "trunk build" link on my signature.

I know the link is only available to registered users; can't do nothing about that.

But, there will be news on fresh compiled binaries soon... stay tuned ;)

Edited by Azimutz

Lion support was added "long" time ago! Why do you say there's no support?

Use

svn co -r HEAD http://forge.voodooprojects.org/svn/chameleon/trunk

to get just the trunk, if you like.

I didn't notice the additional code in boot.c. It was a cache problem with Google Chrome. It works. Thank you!

How can I obtain the version number of the Trunk?

Chameleon-2.0-RC5-rxxxx-bin.zip

I'm talking about the four number "rxxxx-bin.zip" marked with xxxx.

How can I obtain the version number of the Trunk?

The easiest way is

svn log path/to/trunk/working folder

then hit Home key and the latest commit to the trunk will be at the top.

Same applies to any other versioned file or folder; only the commits done to the file or folder will be shown.

$svn help

is your friend :rolleyes:

The easiest way is

svn log path/to/trunk/working folder

then hit Home key and the latest commit to the trunk will be at the top.

Same applies to any other versioned file or folder; only the commits done to the file or folder will be shown.

$svn help

is your friend ;)

i thought this might helped :(

i've been using svnx for a while to track changes in chameleon trunk (and branches)

http://code.google.com/p/svnx/

i'm too lazy to deal with command lines. :(

post-664830-1310967344_thumb.jpg