Chameleon v2.1 (Main Trunk)

ErmaC

595 posts in this topic

Yep... as i was saying, at least On Apple software Raid, kernel, caches, Boot.plist, Extra, etc... it's all loaded from the

Helper partitions (AppleBoot), because it's not possible to read from system volume at early boot. The same doesn't

apply to hardware Raid.

Just to make it clear, the kernelcache code is working fine on non RAID volumes and Snow!

That's all i can test and guarantee.

Please excuse my assumptions but does this not mean that with SW RAID you are by default loading the prelinked kernel?

Or is the Mach_Kernel on the helper partition simply a copy of the kernel from / ?

D

Please excuse my assumptions but does this not mean that with SW RAID you are by default loading the prelinked kernel?

Or is the Mach_Kernel on the helper partition simply a copy of the kernel from / ?

D

As far as i understand it, everything on the helper partitions is a copy of the stuff on the root, or created from it directly

to the helper partitions. I don't know how it goes concerning kernelcache... no experience with RAID, just theory.

Seems with the new Bootloader there is a Issue with Windows involving BCDedit and the BCD Store.

Just done a fresh install and both Charmeleon 877 RC5 and the lastest 1078 RC5 have the same issue where BCD store is not loading correctly and you can not edit with BCDedit which is a must for x64 bit Windows 7 to disable the Driver Enforcement.

If i load the second drive directly to windows it works if i load from charmeleon it will not and will give the following error :-

The boot configuration data store could not be opened.

The requested system device cannot be found.

Even with me using the bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd which works if i disable driver enforcement and also enable Test Mode neither loads on the reboot like its ment to. anyone else have the same issue.

This can be produced via using two different Hard discs with 1 solely for Mac and the other for Windows 7 x64 bit.

So the question is anyone else having this issue as well other then me.

Seems with the new Bootloader there is a Issue with Windows involving BCDedit and the BCD Store.

Just done a fresh install and both Charmeleon 877 RC5 and the lastest 1078 RC5 have the same issue where BCD store is not loading correctly and you can not edit with BCDedit which is a must for x64 bit Windows 7 to disable the Driver Enforcement.

If i load the second drive directly to windows it works if i load from charmeleon it will not and will give the following error...

Was this an issue with your previous bootloader and/or disk/partition layout?

Atm, the only way to deal with Windows properly while using Chameleon, is by installing the booter on

the same disk were Windows is and use boot0hfs (instead of boot0) to keep Windows partition "Active".

This is specially true with XP. Can't tell about Vista... it was banned long time ago from my machines :thumbsup_anim:

7 will boot, but you'll have problems with hibernation, service pack installation, etc... besides the one you mention.

Another thing (probably not relevant), Windows never liked to be nr 2; maybe you should change the disk order?!

With lastest 1078 can`t boot in SL without -v (verbose).. Anything about that issue .. ?

Can't reproduce it. Refresh system caches... maybe that helps.

Azimutz its the same partition layout as before the format and reinstall. The only difference is that the Windows Drive is in a Caddy attached to where my DVD drive on the laptop was and the Mac partition is in the laptop internally.

Please don't talk about the VISTA STI. How do i install charmeleon to the Windows Partition ?

Hacktrix2006, create a small partition at the end of the disk and install the booter to it;

use boot0hfs e.g.:

sudo ./fdisk440 -f boot0hfs -u -y /dev/rdiskX
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsY

instead of boot0 and make sure the Windows partition stays the Active one.

Check my signature for Chameleon binaries...

See if that solves your problem.

Hacktrix2006, if the "unsigned 64bit drivers" was your only problem, let it be.

Just remember the other problems i mentioned; of course, they won't be problems if you boot Windows drive directly.

About the question... do you really need an answer? :D

Think a bit; i was talking about installing Chameleon to the Windows drive...

Here is my little problem:

unable to use the latest builds of Chameleon (2 RC800's and above)

It does not boot and give the error message:

Mem. alloc. error, 0xdeadbeef, size=0x0, File=gui.c, Line=435

This is a non recoverable error... System HALTED!

I thought this error was already fixed in previous builds?

even with graphics mentioned in boot...plist, it does crash...

I am using the old Dell Dimension 8300, P4 Prescott 3GHz with HT, and 875P Intel chipset...

any older boot previous to 720 or so collected from devs. works ok, so what is the hang up for the main trunk?

Mem. alloc. error, 0xdeadbeef, size=0x0, File=gui.c, Line=435

This is a non recoverable error... System HALTED!

Ok, this is getting weird... can you follow the "trunk build" link on my signature and try the booter from there please?

Line 435 lands on a curly bracket... we need feedback from a more accurate source.

You're the second person that mentions that today and i can't reproduce it!!? :blink:

I'm having massive issues when updating an AMD (Athlon 64 X2 4000+) to 10.6.8.

configd keeps crashing, system is very slow and unresponsive, drives don’t mount automatically, wifi is disabled, boot takes longer, menu bar locks up frequently…

Could these issues be fixed by the latest Chameleon RC5?

I'm sorry but I really don't find any binaries from the latest r1xxx. Even here is nothing to download...

http://goo.gl/kyQhn

Ok, this is getting weird... can you follow the "trunk build" link on my signature and try the booter from there please?

Line 435 lands on a curly bracket... we need feedback from a more accurate source.

You're the second person that mentions that today and i can't reproduce it!!? :blink:

Hi Azimutz,

build I took from your link is 1078, and it gives the same error (not giving a chance even to get to the boot menu)...

forgot to note the line, will do that l8r ;-)

for now, I stick with a pre 750 build...

rev 1093/trunk 1078 compiled just now:

Chameleon_2.0_RC5_trunk_svn_r1093.zip

Cheers dude,

with 1093, the error debugs at line 415...

I'm having massive issues when updating an AMD (Athlon 64 X2 4000+) to 10.6.8.

configd keeps crashing, system is very slow and unresponsive, drives don’t mount automatically, wifi is disabled, boot takes longer, menu bar locks up frequently…

Could these issues be fixed by the latest Chameleon RC5?

I'm sorry but I really don't find any binaries from the latest r1xxx. Even here is nothing to download...

http://goo.gl/kyQhn

Sorry, i forgot you guys need to be logged in to see the link... so much for the intention :blink:

Your problem can't be solved with Chameleon. Did you updated the kernel?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=260976

build I took from your link is 1078, and it gives the same error (not giving a chance even to get to the boot menu)...

with 1093, the error debugs at line 415...

And you could get to the menu before?

Using any custom Theme?

Well, line 415 points to "freeWindowBuffer"; this frees memory, doesn't allocate ??

Need to resort to another brain... mine is getting melted :wacko:

bbl...

Sorry, i forgot you guys need to be logged in to see the link... so much for the intention :blink:

And you could get to the menu before?

Using any custom Theme?

Well, line 415 points to "freeWindowBuffer"; this frees memory, doesn't allocate ??

Need to resort to another brain... mine is getting melted :)

bbl...

same with b1078, at line 415 gui.c breaks.

well i just used the nawcom chameleon install...

i only have 2 entries, one with RC3 and one with RC5...

RC3 uses the boot released with the wizard install, never gave me probs.

RC5 just fooling around with your new releases, but nawcom r720 I think is fine for me...

Themes, I just use what is in the wizard installation, or the default...

menus are fine when it boots :wacko:

btw, I liked the boot released by pcj, allowed me to use vanilla kernel with P4...

but it breaks with 10.6.8...

and pcj seems to have gone AWOL... lol!

Well, all i know is i can't reproduce it! Neither with trunk or any of the folders on my branch.

I don't use installers in a long time. The only names you mention that i trust are Nawcom's and mine ;)

pcj... if "his" booter allowed to boot P 4 is because he was using Meklort's work.

Well, all i know is i can't reproduce it! Neither with trunk or any of the folders on my branch.

I don't use installers in a long time. The only names you mention that i trust are Nawcom's and mine :P

pcj... if "his" booter allowed to boot P 4 is because he was using Meklort's work.

Thanks for checking... I will keep on using older boot... (I read USB legacy can create the problem, but I need it...)

Has Meklort work on booter patched for P4 system to use vanilla kernel? because this is the mod I found interesting...

Be safe

Billy

Sorry, i forgot you guys need to be logged in to see the link... so much for the intention :gun:

Yes, I installed Nawcom's package (v2) but still the same issues.

rev 1093/trunk 1078 compiled just now:

Chameleon_2.0_RC5_trunk_svn_r1093.zip

Thanks!

Thanks!

Same here, and why would it make a difference, this is before darwin and the kernel are even started...

the error is Bios / boot related... gui.c or ati.c or whatever pick up an error to do with mapping the hardware just after the bios is loaded and before darwin is started...

Thanks for checking... I will keep on using older boot... (I read USB legacy can create the problem, but I need it...)

I have legacy usb enabled; need it for the usb keyboard.

Has Meklort work on booter patched for P4 system to use vanilla kernel? because this is the mod I found interesting...

KernelPatcher is Meklorts work; he shared it long time ago. Check his blog and this topic; code can be found on his old branch or mine.

Afaik, he's finishing a new version which will be added to Chameleon as a module.

The cpu id override works on 10.6.8 but you can forget about it on Lion, since Apple is dumping i386 -legacy support;

this is needed for processors without Ssse3 instructions like P 4 or my P D :D

Same here, and why would it make a difference, this is before darwin and the kernel are even started...

Don't be a {censored} :P he didn't reported the same problem as you.

I'll post news about the Gui problem when i have...

Can't help much with AMD stuff. Did you checked Nawcom's blog?... maybe you can get a clue from there.

Did you checked Nawcom's blog?... maybe you can get a clue from there.

Yes I posted there too, but as Nawcom is taking a break I don't think I get a solution. Everyone is heading for Lion - which is good but some AMD machines better stay on Snow Leopard so I am missing a solution.

The problem is obviously that 10.6.8 has a lot of components of Lion integrated.

I have legacy usb enabled; need it for the usb keyboard.

KernelPatcher is Meklorts work; he shared it long time ago. Check his blog and this topic; code can be found on his old branch or mine.

Afaik, he's finishing a new version which will be added to Chameleon as a module.

The cpu id override works on 10.6.8 but you can forget about it on Lion, since Apple is dumping i386 -legacy support;

this is needed for processors without Ssse3 instructions like P 4 or my P D :(

Don't be a {censored} :P he didn't reported the same problem as you.

I'll post news about the Gui problem when i have...

Can't help much with AMD stuff. Did you checked Nawcom's blog?... maybe you can get a clue from there.

lol! Azimutz, I am a {censored}, not a {censored}...

My P4 has SSE3, it is Prescott, so hopefully my good ole' 'puter has still some life left in it...

I take my time to move from an O/S to another, so it won't be before 2012 be4 I use Lion ;-), that is unless I get a new Mac, all my Mac's are G4 for now...

just an extra info, I can use Chameleon up to b755 without problem or errors...

however Anval 5.1.4 and cparm joint project, give me an error at the same point, but carries on booting after a 5 sec pause... when it boots, it says cannot read from beginning of partition (disk 0, ... sector 0, etc) loads a few files from /Extra, then says pause for 5 sec because had a problem in the boot... Then everything is normal...

maybe the two errors are linked as they both come just after boot and before loading kexts and Darwin...

anyways maybe Anval and cparm could look at their code on gui.c and compare? at least theirs carry on booting after a 5 sec pause...

Chameleon main trunk post 800's stop...

thanks for your patience, and keep on smiling... ;)

PS My question about Meklort was about being able to run OSX with Vanilla kernel on P4 with SSE3...

The problem is obviously that 10.6.8 has a lot of components of Lion integrated.

yep, that might be the problem for some AMD. You better revert to 10.6.7 for now and keep an eye on the news.

lol! Azimutz, I am a {censored}, not a {censored}...
I know... was just bitching you for bitching Dawiinci :blink:

My P4 has SSE3, it is Prescott, so hopefully my good ole' 'puter has still some life left in it...

PS My question about Meklort was about being able to run OSX with Vanilla kernel on P4 with SSE3...

yeah, but i mentioned Ssse3, not sse3...

Like my P D, your P 4 has no Suplemental sse3 which Apple doesn't take in account on the kernel.

So, to be able to use the kernel patcher to boot vanilla kernel we need to boot with "arch=i386 -legacy", so

no 64 bit "code" is run, else we need to patch the kernel with "commpage/bcopy" stuff

to "emulate" the presence of Ssse3 instructions.

just an extra info, I can use Chameleon up to b755 without problem or errors...

etc, etc...

Ok but, did you actually compiled the booter and tested to pin point r755, or...?

Can you post the specs of the machine were this happens?

thanks for your patience, and keep on smiling... wink_anim.gif

I'm trying, but it's getting hard :( nothing personal with you, thought ;)

Thanks.

yeah, but i mentioned Ssse3, not sse3...

Like my P D, your P 4 has no Suplemental sse3 which Apple doesn't take in account on the kernel.

So, to be able to use the kernel patcher to boot vanilla kernel we need to boot with "arch=i386 -legacy", so

no 64 bit "code" is run, else we need to patch the kernel with "commpage/bcopy" stuff

to "emulate" the presence of Ssse3 instructions.

Ok but, did you actually compiled the booter and tested to pin point r755, or...?

Can you post the specs of the machine were this happens?

This means i cannot delay buying a 64bit Intel PC any longer if I want to run Lion, maybe in 2012 then ;) as I planned anyway, or I can get a new mac mini (I gave my G4 to my sister already)... but I prefer a PC, it is more fun for fooling around...

My PC specs: using SiSoftware Sandra

Manufacturer : Dell Computer Corporation

Model : Dimension 8300Chipset 1

Model : Dell Computer Corp 82875P Memory Controller Hub

Bus(es) : X-Bus AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus

Front Side Bus Speed : 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)

Maximum FSB Speed / Max Memory Speed : 4x 200MHz / 2x 200MHz

Width : 64-bit

HTT - Hyper-Threading Technology : Yes

On-board Devices

Intel Pro 100 VE Network Connection : Ethernet Adapter (Enabled)

AC'97 Audio Controller : Sound Adapter (Disabled)

APIC 1

Version : 2.00

Multiplier : 1/2x

Maximum Interrupts : 24

IRQ Handler Engaged : Yes

Enhanced Support : No

AGP Bus(es) on Hub 1

Version : 3.00

Speed : 8x

Multiplier : 1/2x

Fast-Writes Enabled : Yes

Isochronous Mode Enabled : No

Addressing Enabled : 32-bit

Aperture Size : 128MB

PCI Bus(es) on Hub 1

Version : 2.20

Number of Bridges : 2

PCI Bus 0 : PCI (1x PCIClk)

PCI Bus 2 : PCI (1x PCIClk)

LPC Hub Controller 1

Model : Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge

ACPI Power Management Enabled : Yes

Delayed Transaction Enabled : YesLPC Legacy Controller 1

Type : SMSC LPC v1

Version : 14.04

Number of Enabled Devices : 4

FireWire/1394 Controller 1

Model : VIA Technologies Inc VT6306 VIA Fire II IEEE-1394 OHCI Link Layer Controller

Version : 1.00

Interface : OHCI

Enhanced Support : No

Channels : 64

Speed : 400MHzSystem SMBus Controller 1

Model : Intel 801xx SMBus

Version : 0.02

Slave Device Enabled : Yes

Speed : 16kHz

Expansion Slot(s)

PCI1 (1h) : PCI 32-bit +5V +3.3V PME Full-Length Available (Intel Corporation 82875P Processor to AGP Controller)

PCI2 (2h) : PCI 32-bit +5V +3.3V PME Full-Length Available

PCI3 (3h) : PCI 32-bit +5V +3.3V PME Full-Length Available

PCI4 (4h) : PCI 32-bit +5V +3.3V PME Full-Length Available

AGP1 : AGP-8x 32-bit +3.3V PME Full-Length Used

Port Connector

PARALLEL : Parallel Port PS/2 - None / DB-25 pin female

SERIAL1 : Serial Port 16550A - None / DB-9 pin male

KYBD : Keyboard - None / PS/2

MOUSE : Mouse - None / PS/2

USB: 6 Ports

and finally: AGP DVI/VGA nVidia GeForce 7600 GS:

Chipset Model: nVidia GeForce 7600 GS

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe (thanks to netkas injector)

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x02e1

Revision ID: 0x00a2

ROM Revision: nVidia GeForce 7600 GS OpenGL Engine [EFI] (using NVIDIA.rom = 10de_02e1.rom)

Displays:

CMC 22 W:

Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Display Serial Number: 0

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported > full ci / qe

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1