Seeking testers for Fermi Freeze Fix.

rominator

61 posts in this topic

I have the freeze happen to me regardless whether I'm browsing the internet or not. Pretty sure it all comes down to the GPU falling into a lower power state (typing a Word document, browsing Safari) and when it needs to go back into a higher power state it freezes.

seems like thats the issue. i read one thread where it suggests bumping up the pci express voltage to 101mhz. but i read thats unsafe? it seems to me if the card ran at a constant voltage it wouldn't crash the pc.

not trying to hijack this thread but i think i have an idea for a solution for the crashes on 10.6.7 with the gts 450 models. okay, most report no crashes if you play a low res video in vlc looping. this is becuase your gpu is using more power and clocking higher. the crash happenes when the card settles down then needs to become active again. in my bios i can change the voltage/clock speeds to have the card run at a set speed all the time. i went ahead and spent time in windows using gpuz to monitor my temps and voltage as i played several games and videos. the highest voltage i got was to 101mhz. in leopard this should be about the same readings. problem is there's no concrete solution to read gpu temps on this card within osx nor to be able to clock the fan speeds at all.

" this only works in windows" with the evga precision tool. there are several programs out there that can allow you to modify your gpu rom bios files as far as voltage, fan speeds...etc. problem is i do not feel like being a guinea pig and destroy my card since i cannot monitor temps within osx. so i think the solution would be to set a stock voltage of at least 100mhz and overclock the fan speeds to compensate. it's either we do this or wait for nvidia to distribute updated drivers.

im not sure if this is the "fix" the op has for his card but i think this idea would work for us, at least as a temp fix.

the highest voltage i got was to 101mhz.

Dude, get your terminologies straight!

set a stock voltage of at least 100mhz and overclock the fan speeds

You cannot "set a stock voltage of at least 100 MHz".

Voltage is measured in Volts, not MHz. You might as well be saying "Hi my name is Frank and I'm 27 kilos old".

When talking about clock frequencies, "stock" means whatever clock frequency the card shipped with from the factory. Therefore, if the frequency was set by you, it is no longer "stock".

Also, I'm excited about your new technology - here on planet Earth, we cannot overclock fans yet.

Your idea will not work if the problem is with the transition from one power state to the other.

It's possible that voltage and frequency don't matter at all - maybe something wrong happens when a command is issued to make the transition itself.

This theory could be tested easily - if someone made a patched BIOS where all power states are identical.

I have already tried a modified BIOS with the lowest power state set higher on my GTX 460 and it still froze.

I've seen the thread where someone suggested bumping the PCI-E voltage - it didn't work, in the end it still froze.

In general, I realized that everything is signed NDA. Well to hell with it, I put to download the whole image, a couple of weeks with my Internet download. While reported that what he did.

I once scratched my bios and made a small downclock (initial frequency of 800 \ 1600 \ 4000) and at the same time reduce all voltage

2444412m.png

To those on which graphics card with such frequencies is absolutely workable and passes all the tests on the stability of Windows. Today we went to the third day, as in OS X does not have any problems. But as shown by past experience, you need to wait much longer times.

Dude, get your terminologies straight!

You cannot "set a stock voltage of at least 100 MHz".

Voltage is measured in Volts, not MHz. You might as well be saying "Hi my name is Frank and I'm 27 kilos old".

When talking about clock frequencies, "stock" means whatever clock frequency the card shipped with from the factory. Therefore, if the frequency was set by you, it is no longer "stock".

Also, I'm excited about your new technology - here on planet Earth, we cannot overclock fans yet.

Your idea will not work if the problem is with the transition from one power state to the other.

It's possible that voltage and frequency don't matter at all - maybe something wrong happens when a command is issued to make the transition itself.

This theory could be tested easily - if someone made a patched BIOS where all power states are identical.

I have already tried a modified BIOS with the lowest power state set higher on my GTX 460 and it still froze.

I've seen the thread where someone suggested bumping the PCI-E voltage - it didn't work, in the end it still froze.

no reason to be rude to me as i was trying to give ideas. im not talking about overclocking the fan. i meant if you bump the voltage up you will need to increase your fans speed to compensate for the higher voltage to keep it running cool. im not a noob when it comes to computers. i do not see why my solution would not work, if running a video in the background fixes this issue then so should my theory. as of now it seems there is no possible fixes until nvidia gets off their rears and updates the driver.

it's a shame too because my osx install is flawless aside from the crashes. as of now i cannot run it as my daily driver until this gets fixed properly.

In general, for 4 days happened as much as 5 KP. Somehow, even more than before.

Maybe someone already have the whole package of drivers from the 10.7 dp2 / 11A419?

Please place them somewhere, I'll be with them to try.

so the nvidia drivers for lion could fix our issues? why hasn't it been posted anywhere yet to try?

Okey Doke,

After spending a couple weeks jacking around with 3 different 6xxx series cards and then seeing all my findings posted on various Mac news sites with all of the credit going to Bozo & Clarabell at TinyMac86, I have learned some lessons. So I am not going to just post useful info for all and expect everyone to behave like honest adults.

First and foremost, I am looking for people with the ability to use NVFlash to reflash their Nvidia cards. If you are unfamiliar or unwilling to do this, hit the "Back" button now and move on to next thread. The idea that a GPU can be "bricked" via a BIOS flash is an old wive's tale. They can ALWAYS be reflashed back to working state, worst case scenario you may need a different MB to flash in or an ATI card to flash from but cards can always be restored to their original BIOS. If by some MIRACLE OF CHRIST you can't, I will offer that you can ship the card to me and I will revive it should you be so woefully incompetent as to need that. (Offer only applies to Closed Beta testers)

I need 1 or 2 people with a GTS450 and 1 or 2 with a GTX460.

Hi Rominator I was not sure if you are looking for more testers I have an Asus ENGTS 450 card that seems to have the fermi freeze. My rom file is attached if you need it.

rom.zip

Guys, I am sorry that my fix hasn't worked out so far.

I was trying to edit the power states to match those in Quadro 4000 ROM on the theory that Fermi drivers are REALLY only for that card.

Unfortunately, the Fermi ROMs are much more complicated than before. Ideally we would just make them only have 1 power state, which would have been possible on previous cards, but I see no way to do this with Fermi.

I will try a GTX460 ROM where all 3 states are the same. I tried this before and card wouldn't boot but I may have not done it right.

The Quadros don't dip as low in lowest state, so I was trying to move lowest state up to that level but you have all reported same issue.

SO far, running Lion DP2 with the Nvidia 270 drivers seems to be a fix. So it may be that no amount of ROM fiddling can fix GF104 cards if the flaw is in fact in driver.

I have run the issues by Netkas, his reply was "bug in driver"

I will try one more time with ROM.

I would also suggest this...have a look at that AGPM thread, in theory you could write an AGPM that was always triggered into "high". If that works, we would know that a ROM could be made to work.

But this whole issue will be a piece of quickly forgotten history when next Nvidia drivers come out. (in theory)

Hey, you seem eager to be a "fixer", why not try modding AGPM and tell us if that fixes Fermi Freeze?

Either keep card in low state or high state.

have you not tried this yet? how would i go about modding the AGPM? the only other option i have is buying a ati 5770 to get my system 100%.

have you not tried this yet? how would i go about modding the AGPM? the only other option i have is buying a ati 5770 to get my system 100%.

Go read the AGPM thread.

They have a much better handle on this then I.

With OpenCl coming up in importance, Fermi cards will continue to be "the cards to have"...their OpenCl performance makes ATI cards seem like lost puppyies.

well im about to ditch the 450 and buy a fully supported ati xfx hd 5770.

anyways i wanted to share what two users at tonymacx86 forum found as a fix for the fermi freeze on these cards. they claim hooking up dual monitors solved the issues and they have no more freeze. this may not be ideal for most but it's a start.

good luck to you guys!

Will be interesting if Dual Monitors actually works.

My "fix" also involved fixing the monitor definitions to be more in line with what Mac drivers expect. (ie, like Quadro 4000)

It seemed to lessen crashes but sort of like having fewer grenades land in your living room...1 is still too many.

Guys, I am sorry that my fix hasn't worked out so far.

never any need to apologize. without the efforts of people like you, the people like me wouldn't even HAVE a hackintosh!

here is one user who is grateful for all the efforts. i only wish i had more to contribute.

Hello rominator my workstation has the following configuration Cooler Master HAF 932

Corsair 850W series gold

Motherboard GIGABYTE-X58A UD3R

Video Card NVIDIA GTX 460 1GB

06 sticks of 2GB memory 12GB 1333 Kingston Total

01HD 400GB for the Mac

01HD 500GB partitioned Windows and Windows System Information Windows

Data 1TB MAC 01HD

was having very frequent freeze after I turned off the power saver freezes only happen sometimes when I'm using safari, adobe and motion like to know if you have a solution because I'm thinking about changing to the HD5870 GTX460 if my English is not fool me it looks like the 470 and 480 do not freeze them is this true?...

I just thought of trying this, it is a ROM based on Asus GTX460 with average clocks

But I moved all voltages to same while leaving different performance levels

THIS IS NOT MEANT AS LONG TERM FIX as it would likely wear card out faster, this is just to see if it influences freeze behavior.

https://files.me.com/dpart2/eylpt7

As soon as someone trieds it, please post results so that we don't end up with 20 different people getting same result.

I will shortly post one where all 4 speed sections and voltages are same

EDIT:

Here is one where all 4 speed sections use speed & voltage for LOW 3D.

https://files.me.com/dpart2/r1fm6b

Will be interesting if Dual Monitors actually works.

My "fix" also involved fixing the monitor definitions to be more in line with what Mac drivers expect. (ie, like Quadro 4000)

It seemed to lessen crashes but sort of like having fewer grenades land in your living room...1 is still too many.

I run dual 23" Acer DVI 1920x1080 monitors. My GTX460 freezes without vlc running (looping a video), so that tonymac "fix" is bogus.

I have the freeze in my 460gtx, i use the hackintosh to use davinci resolve, gpu enabled and when I attached the second monitor the freeze are gone, just only KP maybe the fermi ??

In windows the use of second monitor turned On or Off, turns the card to the max power (3d enabled) and it is always in 60º celsius but it works OK.

Just tell me, the KP will be fermi related ? or just a bad installation on the 2600k ?

look in console log and compare messages there with what has been posted in this or other threads on "Fermi Freeze"

At the end of the day, there is little difference between a "freeze" and a "kp"

either way, you will be yanking the plug and rebooting.