Finally QE/CI on Mobility 5650!

checcco

90 posts in this topic

Thanks for the tip.

It doesn't seem to matter what flags I give it at boot, it still only shows on the external monitor. I'm still uncertain as to why this doesn't work - everyone else seems to just say 'Just boot with this FB' or whatever - I haven't seen anyone get this same issue as me (ie. it boots Megalodon every time)

I'm using the ROM that Atlee compiled which should take the AtiConfig string and work with it. I'm stumped.. :D

Using the boot file from Kabyl's branch that is edited with 5650 ID that Checcco did, You don't need the rom file, Some bootloaders allow you to use UseATIRom = Yes but in this situation it is not needed, did you try Eulemur FB? seems to me different brand laptops give the video cards diff connector sense id's.

Seems Checcco and I are on a journey to modify the kexts to allow all ports to work. Just keep watching the ATI threads.

Using the boot file from Kabyl's branch that is edited with 5650 ID that Checcco did, You don't need the rom file, Some bootloaders allow you to use UseATIRom = Yes but in this situation it is not needed, did you try Eulemur FB? seems to me different brand laptops give the video cards diff connector sense id's.

Seems Checcco and I are on a journey to modify the kexts to allow all ports to work. Just keep watching the ATI threads.

Well that's just it - it doesn't matter what FB I give the bootloader, it just ALWAYS loads up Megalodon and only displays on VGA - though I suspect HDMI would work too if I had a monitor for it.

Have I done something wrong? Every other kernel flag/key I set in Boot.plist or give to the loader works - but not the framebuffer.

Has anyone else noticed that even though system profiler says 32 bit at 'Pixel Depth', it really looks like 16 bit (watch an HD video to really notice)?

Changing the color profile doesn't help, which is too bad.

I get this booting with Eulemur as well as with Vervet (Hoolock now gives me artifacts) and both in 32 and 64 bit mode.

Am I the only one with this issue or do others have this as well?

[edit]I haven't used a rom file to be able to boot btw, neither used the AtiFb flag. Could that be it?[/edit]

If you use everest ultimate in windows(i'm using v5.5) i think it gives you the device name that you need to put after:

aticonfig=

im guessing that the framebuffer value is inside the () on the starred lines below(my laptop is an hp envy 14 with a radeon mobility 5650 obviously which i believe has a different connector to the internal monitor than the mbp's and which I have not attempted to hackintosh yet but thought might help I'll post again after i try. I am guessing the value for the framebuffer is Madison

below is the output that everest gave me although theres a lot more in other sections too!

Device Description

PCI Express 2.0 x16: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (Madison)

Integrated: Intel Auburndale/Arrandale Processor - Integrated Graphics Controller

Graphics Processor Properties

Video Adapter ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (Madison)

BIOS Date €

GPU Code Name Madison

Part Number UªxéÄé000000000000”"é­!½@

PCI Device 1002-68C1 / 103C-1436 (Rev 00)

Transistors 627 million

Process Technology 40 nm

Die Size 104 mm2

Bus Type PCI Express 2.0 x16 @ x16

Memory Size 1 GB

GPU Clock 450 MHz

RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz

Pixel Pipelines 16

TMU Per Pipeline 1

Unified Shaders 400 (v5.0)

DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v11

Pixel Fillrate 7200 MPixel/s

Memory Bus Properties

Bus Width 128-bit

Real Clock 1600 MHz

Effective Clock 1600 MHz

Bandwidth 25.0 GB/s

Utilization

GPU 0%

Graphics Processor Manufacturer

Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Product Information http://ati.amd.com/products/home-office.html

Driver Download http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Driver Update http://driveragent.com?ref=59

P.S. If any of the other info may be of use let me know ill pst it and theres a grip that may be relevant too

If you use everest ultimate in windows(i'm using v5.5) i think it gives you the device name that you need to put after:

aticonfig=

im guessing that the framebuffer value is inside the () on the starred lines below(my laptop is an hp envy 14 with a radeon mobility 5650 obviously which i believe has a different connector to the internal monitor than the mbp's and which I have not attempted to hackintosh yet but thought might help I'll post again after i try. I am guessing the value for the framebuffer is Madison

below is the output that everest gave me although theres a lot more in other sections too!

Device Description

PCI Express 2.0 x16: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (Madison)

Integrated: Intel Auburndale/Arrandale Processor - Integrated Graphics Controller

Graphics Processor Properties

Video Adapter ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (Madison)

BIOS Date €

GPU Code Name Madison

Part Number UªxéÄé000000000000”"é­!½@

PCI Device 1002-68C1 / 103C-1436 (Rev 00)

Transistors 627 million

Process Technology 40 nm

Die Size 104 mm2

Bus Type PCI Express 2.0 x16 @ x16

Memory Size 1 GB

GPU Clock 450 MHz

RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz

Pixel Pipelines 16

TMU Per Pipeline 1

Unified Shaders 400 (v5.0)

DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v11

Pixel Fillrate 7200 MPixel/s

Memory Bus Properties

Bus Width 128-bit

Real Clock 1600 MHz

Effective Clock 1600 MHz

Bandwidth 25.0 GB/s

Utilization

GPU 0%

Graphics Processor Manufacturer

Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Product Information http://ati.amd.com/products/home-office.html

Driver Download http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

Driver Update http://driveragent.com?ref=59

P.S. If any of the other info may be of use let me know ill pst it and theres a grip that may be relevant too

Here's a txt file of the system report in case anyone can use the info im attaching below

hpenvy14_hw_report.txt

I was wondering do I need to be on 10.6.6 for this to work? I am on 10.6.2 right now and it outputs while I boot with -v cpus=1 busratio=20 GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Eulemur (I tried using Nomascus too):

No DSDT found, using 0 as uid value.
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
ATI Redwood ATI Radeon HD 5650 series 4095MB (Nomascus) [1002:68c1] (subsys [103c: 1436])
Intel VGA Controller [8086:0046] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) (Currently Not SUPPORTED)

I have IntelHD/ATI 5650 switchable graphics but no option to set it to discrete in BIOS. Anyone have any input?

Doing this on an Envy 14 i5.

After some successes on this card I've been struggling for 3 days to try and get QE/CI on 5650m.

But my laptop didn't like the easy way so I've been reading dozens of topic and following dozens of guide.

In the end I succeeded!

I think this solution is nearly perfect. There's still something that can be fixed, but we have to work together.

Here's how i got it (If you find an easier way or if you think I've done something not useful, just share it)

BE SURE TO BE ABLE TO VNC IN YOUR LAPTOP!!!

1. Start from a clean 10.6.3

2. Get your card bios as shown here http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1029 (you must be in 32 bit mode to use this tool)

3. Rename the dumped bios 1002_68c1.rom annd put it in your Extra folder

4. Comboupdate to 10.6.6 in safe mode (-x)

5. Before reboot install Lion's ATI5000, ATISupport and ATIFramebuffer (they are here on the forum) using KextHelper

6. Overwrite your boot file with the one attached here that I compiled from Kabyl's source to make it work with 5650s

7. Reboot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=READ BELOW

At this point we reboot setting the right Framebuffer to work with our card. I've found two working framebuffers that behaves differently:

A. Hoolock

If you get corrupted screen VNC into your laptop and try to change resolution. I couldn't find 1366x768 so installed Switchresx to get it.

STRANGE THING:If you attach an external monitor you get only a mirrored screen and System Profiler will report only a monitor attached.

So if you choose this way reboot with: GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Hoolock

B. Vervet

Again if you get corrupted screen VNC into your laptop and try to change resolution. I couldn't find 1366x768 so installed Switchresx to get it.

STRANGE THING:System profiler will report always 2 monitor attached even if you got no external monitor attached (and you can see it by looking at your laptop from VNC). OSX will behave like if you have an external monitor (you can drag windows etc..)

So if you choose this way reboot with: GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Vervet

I hope it's all clear.... And let's try altogether to solve the STRANGE THINGS :D

EDIT: I wanna thank hjs89 for suggesting Lion's kexts and for instructing me about recompiling Kabyl's boot. :)

boot.zip

Hi - could you help me get my 5650 working? I have an HP DV7T with the 720 i7 quad - I have evrything else working and was very close to getting the card working with the method you described here, but always got a black screen - tried every FB listed but nothing. If I VNC into it, no QE either. It did recognise that the 5650 was present in the system profiler but always said 'no display connected'.

I then tried installing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.2 with experimental ATI support - it now hangs on the boot screen - but if I VNC it has loaded the system. No QE and in system profiler it just gives a page of ffffffffs - mem allocation error? Again tried it with Eulemur, Vervet, Hoolock - no change.

Where do I go from here? I'm sooo close I can almost smell it :-)

Thanks

Jim

Hi,

I have tried it with Eulemur, but the display stays black and I can only access it over VNC. I use the PC EFI 10.6 bootloader, 10.6.6, 10.3 qoopz kernel and it's a dv7-4173cl, with i7-720QM. When I try to change the resolution it kinda whitens up

Alexander

EDIT: I forgot to mention, that in my opinion the monitor isn't detected for some reason.

I have the same - but with DV7T... did you find any solution?

cheers

Jim

I was wondering do I need to be on 10.6.6 for this to work? I am on 10.6.2 right now and it outputs while I boot with -v cpus=1 busratio=20 GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Eulemur (I tried using Nomascus too):

No DSDT found, using 0 as uid value.
Using PCI-Root-UID value: 0
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
ATI Redwood ATI Radeon HD 5650 series 4095MB (Nomascus) [1002:68c1] (subsys [103c: 1436])
Intel VGA Controller [8086:0046] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) (Currently Not SUPPORTED)

I have IntelHD/ATI 5650 switchable graphics but no option to set it to discrete in BIOS. Anyone have any input?

Doing this on an Envy 14 i5.

Dont know if this helps but when i was installing archlinux to my envy14 it would blank out very similar to the way the osx86 install does and it was due to a kernel mode setting here is the preboot argument that fixed it for me in linux:

i915.modeset=0

i beleive this is disabling the intel graphics which might be what will get you going correctly i also saw people writing in other forums to go and delete a bunch of kexts from before rebooting so maybe getting rid of the intel kext will do the trick. Every time i made a hackintosh i found that less drivers is always better get only what you know for sure u need

Thanks for the guide checco! I am trying it out on my Sony VPCEB16FG!

Specs :

- Core i3 - 330M

- ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650

- 4GB RAM

- 500GB Hard Disk

- Directly using, Hazard 10.6.6i

Ill update you if it works and if i am able to get QE/CI without external display! :)

P.S. : Maybe you could try AtiConfig=Nomascus (i read this on that chinese website!)

Thanks for the guide checco! I am trying it out on my Sony VPCEB16FG!

Specs :

- Core i3 - 330M

- ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650

- 4GB RAM

- 500GB Hard Disk

- Directly using, Hazard 10.6.6i

Ill update you if it works and if i am able to get QE/CI without external display! :(

P.S. : Maybe you could try AtiConfig=Nomascus (i read this on that chinese website!)

hey you're right, nomascus, someone in this forum used that framebuffer to make QE/CI on mobility 5870 works on internal display, hmm hey try it

Ok so just to clarify you dont need to have to do a ROM dump of the ati 5650 gpu?? I ask cos I cant seem to be able to do it using the program above like Checcco said and also am not able to go on safe mode in order to upgrade to 1.6.6 as it kenrel panics before accessing SL and upgrading it crashes too... I was so happy when I read this but it looks like I cant go any higher than 10.6.2 with out ati res or acceleration... am using the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy 2.7.2 which is the only one that boots at all and lets me install SL 10.6 in the first place... :) and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] doest even work half the times and the bootloaders dont work so I have to keep using the disc to boot am screwed aint I?..... :)

Ok so just to clarify you dont need to have to do a ROM dump of the ati 5650 gpu?? I ask cos I cant seem to be able to do it using the program above like Checcco said and also am not able to go on safe mode in order to upgrade to 1.6.6 as it kenrel panics before accessing SL and upgrading it crashes too... I was so happy when I read this but it looks like I cant go any higher than 10.6.2 with out ati res or acceleration... am using the latest [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] legacy 2.7.2 which is the only one that boots at all and lets me install SL 10.6 in the first place... :( and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] doest even work half the times and the bootloaders dont work so I have to keep using the disc to boot am screwed aint I?..... ;)

I had more or less the same problem on acer 5470g i5 M520 with ati 5650. I managed to solve the situation. please post the KP errors that come up when updating to 10.6.x and i can tell you what i did (if same problem).

i cant understand i do all u post here,

i instaleed combo update 10.6.6 then without reboot instaled the kext's then the chamaleon 2 rc5 then the boot file,

finally i reboot with this "GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Hoolock" but nothing happens my lap lcd just works normal without any error or black screen no hangboot but i still cant change resolution and no QE/CI.

acer 5740 i3 330M & ATI mob radeon HD 5650 posting from it now and working good

edit: now after the apple logo the screen goes "crazy" white with a black bar in middle how can i correct it?

i instaleed combo update 10.6.6 then without reboot instaled the kext's then the chamaleon 2 rc5 then the boot file,

finally i reboot with this "GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Hoolock" but nothing happens my lap lcd just works normal without any error or black screen no hangboot but i still cant change resolution and no QE/CI.

edit: now after the apple logo the screen goes "crazy" white with a black bar in middle how can i correct it?

I know what you mean I have done the same but no 10.6.6 update only 10.6.2 working and my LCD lights up and i get like 4 mini images divided by a dark large line throw the middle of the screen...

raizign, 5650m is very hard to get to work. atlee, checcco, me and many other people have the same cards and same problems. If you want to know all news about this card, just follow this topic. Help is welcome.

hey dudes,

here is, what i did:

1. i installed 10.6.3 retail with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-Supported (darwin 10.4.0 kernel)

2. made the tutorial

3. after installing 10.6.6., then rebooting: "DSMOS arrived" but nothing happens ( also with -x )

my hardware:

( hp pavilion dv6-3101sg)

hd 5470

core i3 m370

special:

i have switchable graphics (hd5470 + intel GMA) but there is no option in the BIOS to disable this.

But when i put the 1002....rom in the extra folder, i don't need to disable "switchable graphics", RIGHT ?

do you have an idea?

and sorry for my bad english :)

1120 i can see that but i see some topics say they could use hd 5650 with qe/ci and full res and i cant figure out how to do. and davidkozat88 , "LCD lights up and i get like 4 mini images divided by a dark large line throw the middle of the screen... " thats what happens to me i need to "reinstall" and now i have all working except graphic card

1120 i can see that but i see some topics say they could use hd 5650 with qe/ci and full res and i cant figure out how to do. and davidkozat88 , "LCD lights up and i get like 4 mini images divided by a dark large line throw the middle of the screen... " thats what happens to me i need to "reinstall" and now i have all working except graphic card

looks like you are nearly there. my laptop monitor does that "4 mini images" just before entering desktop. I have .rom files in /Extra, boot file from checco post http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t=0&start=0 in / (root dir) and the most difficult part was to find out the right 'Atiframebuffer', i use EnableGraphics=Yes AtiConfig=Vervet. Tried nearly all the others mentioned in several posts but they didn't work. Some people use 'Hoolock' others 'Eulemur' etc. Keep trying until you find the right one for you. Also I have the right EDID (see #24) on checco post. Don't give up as, like you, it took my changes and reboots to finally have qe/ci on my laptop. My config is an Acer 5479G i5 M520 2,4GHz Ati 5650 1G and have nearly all things working. My main concern was the graphics solution because without it it's not really worth to install osx.

Michael van Niekerk i will make a try.

dd10986 my problem is im not an expert in this things :X . "looks like you are nearly there. my laptop monitor does that "4 mini images" just before entering desktop." but after that u can enter in desktop? cause i cant i just stays in that image and dont go into desktop or i need to wait more? second thing i didnt use any rom i still dont know where to get them or how to do to get them. i used AtiConfig=Hoolock.

"Also I have the right EDID (see #24) on checco post" thats another problem i think i have the EDID cause i used the EDID viewer on windows and saved it to a file but what is EDID in all that file i cant find it lol.

if i can use any of your files or rom plz share the link :)

other thing after a fail atiframebuffer try how can i reset or edit the "com...." file without reinstall all the macosx

sorry for this long text and thanks for help :) ( oh and for bad english to :x )

dd10986 my problem is im not an expert in this things :X . "looks like you are nearly there. my laptop monitor does that "4 mini images" just before entering desktop." but after that u can enter in desktop? cause i cant i just stays in that image and dont go into desktop or i need to wait more? second thing i didnt use any rom i still dont know where to get them or how to do to get them. i used AtiConfig=Hoolock.

"Also I have the right EDID (see #24) on checco post" thats another problem i think i have the EDID cause i used the EDID viewer on windows and saved it to a file but what is EDID in all that file i cant find it lol.

if i can use any of your files or rom plz share the link :D

other thing after a fail atiframebuffer try how can i reset or edit the "com...." file without reinstall all the macosx

sorry for this long text and thanks for help :blink: ( oh and for bad english to :x )

I don't think my files (edid and rom) would work for you. Best option is for you to try get it right for your computer. Keep reading the posts, as I cannot add anything new that isn't already explained before. At one point the screen would go black but working normally (saw it through vnc) and the only thing needed to change was the atiframebuffer to 'Ververt'. I also have limited knowledge of how things work but I do lots of searches in this forum and google. Try changing options from the boot prompt, no need for re-install everything, use a external usb disk to clone a working instalation and when in trouble just restore to internal hdd. Read how to access installation with -s (single user terminal prompt) and make alterations to /Extra files (com.apple.Boot..) or any other directory.

If your screen doesn't change from the '4 mini images' it's because it's not the right atiframebuffer, or the edid (display) is not correct.

Follow the link, my files are there :D

The post is also Aspire TimelineX specific...

EDID is only a stop gap measurement if you really tried all video profiles and nothing worked, then MAYBE EDID is to blame.

So rather go through the list of video profiles for AtiConfig="x" and see if you can get another profile that works for you.

if i can use any of your files or rom plz share the link :blink:

sorry for this long text and thanks for help :) ( oh and for bad english to :x )

Hi - could you help me get my 5650 working? I have an HP DV7T with the 720 i7 quad - I have evrything else working and was very close to getting the card working with the method you described here, but always got a black screen - tried every FB listed but nothing. If I VNC into it, no QE either. It did recognise that the 5650 was present in the system profiler but always said 'no display connected'.

I then tried installing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.2 with experimental ATI support - it now hangs on the boot screen - but if I VNC it has loaded the system. No QE and in system profiler it just gives a page of ffffffffs - mem allocation error? Again tried it with Eulemur, Vervet, Hoolock - no change.

Where do I go from here? I'm sooo close I can almost smell it :-)

Thanks

Jim

I have the same - but with DV7T... did you find any solution?

cheers

Jim

I have the same issue as you but I have a DV6.

I can boot it up (albeit with busratio=17) but it just hangs on the grey apple logo but the swirly thing keeps spinning. So I thought that maybe its keeps loading. I VNC'd into it and it works! Although System Profiler says Intel for the graphics when it should be ATI 5470 and in System Preferences > Displays it doesnt give me a 1366 x 768 option.

I dont know what could have caused it, maybe the 10.6.6 update? But im so close i know it!

Did you ever figure this out? And do you know how to disable switchable graphics (anyone?) - HP's BIOS doesnt have many options?

Can anyone help please?? Thanks