Finally QE/CI on Mobility 5650!

checcco

90 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble finding Lions kexts ATI5000 and the other two required for this to work. I'm new to the forums and have searched but I'm still fairly clueless.

Also, just wanted to ask if anyone had tried this install on Leopard 10.5.8 (only ask because I have yet to install Snow Leopard and wanted working graphics on my current install)

Thanks in advance

I'm having trouble finding Lions kexts ATI5000 and the other two required for this to work. I'm new to the forums and have searched but I'm still fairly clueless.

Also, just wanted to ask if anyone had tried this install on Leopard 10.5.8 (only ask because I have yet to install Snow Leopard and wanted working graphics on my current install)

Thanks in advance

Here you have ati kexts from lion, the /Extra I use, my ati 5650 card .rom and boot file from kabil.

my setup acer 5470G i5 M520 2,4GHz, 4GB ram and ati 5650 1GB ram. don't use the .rom file because it's likely not to work (but u can try). Never installed Leopard, so cannot be of assistance. I also have a DSDT re-done by Mald0n (search in forum). good luck.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rvtm34p29twr4y6/Archive.zip

Here you have ati kexts from lion, the /Extra I use, my ati 5650 card .rom and boot file from kabil.

my setup acer 5470G i5 M520 2,4GHz, 4GB ram and ati 5650 1GB ram. don't use the .rom file because it's likely not to work (but u can try). Never installed Leopard, so cannot be of assistance. I also have a DSDT re-done by Mald0n (search in forum). good luck.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rvtm34p29twr4y6/Archive.zip

The download link says the file is set to private, if you cant remedy this could you just email it to me as an attachment? I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks dd10986

The download link says the file is set to private, if you cant remedy this could you just email it to me as an attachment? I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks dd10986

my mistake with mediafire. it should be available now to everyone.

Thanks dd10986, downloaded it.

If theres no ecstatic sounding post from me in the next hour assume i failed

It took me a while before a got all together, don't give up because it might take more than an hour. If all is done accd to initial post, keep changing atiframebuffer until you get it right. It took me a couple of dozen reboots and changes till i got it working.

It took me a while before a got all together, don't give up because it might take more than an hour. If all is done accd to initial post, keep changing atiframebuffer until you get it right. It took me a couple of dozen reboots and changes till i got it working.

atiframebuffer? I'm guessing you mean Hoolock, Vervet, Eulemur and so on?.. the problem is i only know those 3, i had a page up with them all listed earlier but lost it.

so far none have worked. I'm a little confused about the <key>UseAtiROM</key> in that do i use it at all or not?

so far, with Hoolock the os began booting but stopped at some point (didnt use -v so didnt pinpoint it, will do at next boot) but when i held my power button down it made a Mac system sound :s.

with Vervet the boot stops after some text about my card, but it does acknowledge that my card is a Radeon HD 5650 Mobility card so its promising.

with Eulemur the boot just failed.

[EDIT]

this method does work in Leopard, the video card is recognised but my laptop just stays in verbose mode instead of reaching the desktop (if i boot without -v then it just stays as the grey apple screen).

I can VNC, using LogMeIn, and checked system profiler where it stated my HD5650 card and i could change resolution. but cannot change it to 1366x768 and switchresx isnt being helpful at all. i changed the resolution to 1024x768 but nothing happened on my laptop screen, it just stays in verbose more listing the system actions. for example if i close an application it says applications dead: 1

can anyone help, i've tried every FB but it doesnt make a difference, none boot on my laptop screen but most are available through VNC, others dont load or give me kernel panic

atiframebuffer? I'm guessing you mean Hoolock, Vervet, Eulemur and so on?.. the problem is i only know those 3, i had a page up with them all listed earlier but lost it.

so far none have worked. I'm a little confused about the <key>UseAtiROM</key> in that do i use it at all or not?

so far, with Hoolock the os began booting but stopped at some point (didnt use -v so didnt pinpoint it, will do at next boot) but when i held my power button down it made a Mac system sound :s.

with Vervet the boot stops after some text about my card, but it does acknowledge that my card is a Radeon HD 5650 Mobility card so its promising.

with Eulemur the boot just failed.

[EDIT]

this method does work in Leopard, the video card is recognised but my laptop just stays in verbose mode instead of reaching the desktop (if i boot without -v then it just stays as the grey apple screen).

I can VNC, using LogMeIn, and checked system profiler where it stated my HD5650 card and i could change resolution. but cannot change it to 1366x768 and switchresx isnt being helpful at all. i changed the resolution to 1024x768 but nothing happened on my laptop screen, it just stays in verbose more listing the system actions. for example if i close an application it says applications dead: 1

can anyone help, i've tried every FB but it doesnt make a difference, none boot on my laptop screen but most are available through VNC, others dont load or give me kernel panic

I do not use 'UseAtiROM', only GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Vervet. It looks like your card is recognised, so next thing I would insist is the EDID bit. Have a look at my 'display override' and see if it helps. I also made a complete 'DisplayVendorID' (mine is named DispalyVendorID-06af) and another DisplayProductID-22ec). It contains the same files as the default/generic DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e. As I'm not an expert, it was just a question of trial and error ;)

displays.zip

I do not use 'UseAtiROM', only GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Vervet. It looks like your card is recognised, so next thing I would insist is the EDID bit. Have a look at my 'display override' and see if it helps. I also made a complete 'DisplayVendorID' (mine is named DispalyVendorID-06af) and another DisplayProductID-22ec). It contains the same files as the default/generic DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e. As I'm not an expert, it was just a question of trial and error ;)

edid do nothing except for forcing a certain resolution. at this stage anyway not much works to get perfect solution for these cards.

For the ones that can't use USB keyboard/mouse after installing [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]:

Use your [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD to boot into OSX.

Download IOUSBFamily kext (http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=692)

Move it to Extra/Extensions and run kextutility after.

Now reboot without CD into [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and run OSX.

Mouse+Keyboard should work properly.

--

I did everything in this thread and I run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and I have everything on my laptop working including QE/CI Full resolution on my external monitor. But I can't seem to get it to work on internal LCD.

I boot with GraphicsEnabler off, downloaded switchres, made a custom 1366x768 reso and saved it.

But if I boot afterwards with GraphicsEnabler on and VNC into OSX, I can't pick any resolutions at all.

All it says is unknown monitor;1280x1024 (iirc)

Extra info: I added AtiConfig string to my boot plist with Eulemur, this is good right?

Hi! I have ATI 5650 mobility, I did exactly like in tutorial x10 times. Typed UseAtiRom=Yes and WoW nothing happend! Dumped my own rom file, correctly renamed in /Extra, Chameleon r752, MacOs 10.6.7 Retail. Also Lion's kexts installed. But nothing - card not recognized, low resolution. Wtf?

Also I recorded this msg during Chameleon boot process:

ATI VGA Controller [1002:68c1] :: PCiRoot/Pci(0x2,0x0)/...
old pci command - 7
boot display - 0
dumping pci config space, 256 bytes
wrong BIOS signature: 0000
Not going to use bios image file
Found bios image
Adding binimage to card 68c1 from legacy space with size ec00
No BIOS replacement found.
Patching DMI table
Found SMBIOS System information Table 1
Customising system ID with: ....
ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml
Starting Darwin x86

What to do?

Hi! I have ATI 5650 mobility, I did exactly like in tutorial x10 times. Typed UseAtiRom=Yes and WoW nothing happend! Dumped my own rom file, correctly renamed in /Extra, Chameleon r752, MacOs 10.6.7 Retail. Also Lion's kexts installed. But nothing - card not recognized, low resolution. Wtf?

Also I recorded this msg during Chameleon boot process:

ATI VGA Controller [1002:68c1] :: PCiRoot/Pci(0x2,0x0)/...
old pci command - 7
boot display - 0
dumping pci config space, 256 bytes
wrong BIOS signature: 0000
Not going to use bios image file
Found bios image
Adding binimage to card 68c1 from legacy space with size ec00
No BIOS replacement found.
Patching DMI table
Found SMBIOS System information Table 1
Customising system ID with: ....
ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml
Starting Darwin x86

What to do?

Dont use "UseAtiROM" instead try GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Vervet

• 4 weeks later...
Dont use "UseAtiROM" instead try GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Vervet

Hey,

I've got an HP 3165SF with i5-460m incorporated Intel vga hd graphics (8086:0046) + ATI 5650m

With the boot file my card is detected by Chameleon 'ATI Card Posted ... ATI RADEON 5650...'

BUT

Nothing is detected by OSX System... 10.6.6, 10.6.7, kernel 10.7.0, 10.7.3, 10.8.0 (beta)

lspci return nothing about ATI or other video cards than intel vga!!

system profile video too

The bios has no option for setting the video card as discrete

I'm searching a solution

Thanx

hi everybody,

any success with 5650 + full hd laptop screen ?

i'd like to know if that could work on Vaio E with 1920x1080 internal screen (even without extended desktop on external ports)

1. Overwrite your boot file with the one attached here that I compiled from Kabyl's source to make it work with 5650s

1.whre can i find boot file in mac os to overwrite it?

2.where can i find lions kext 5000 ????

dove diavolo sta il file boot da riscrivere?

dove trovo i kext di lion?

grazie a tutti

Can someone help me? I'm not sure what to do with the Boot.zip file that is in the first post. When I downloaded it in OSX it appears to be a terminal file of some kind. I ran it, it opens a terminal window which reads something like "unable to run binary file" (sorry I can't remember exactly what it says). I think maybe I'm using the downloaded Boot.zip file in the wrong way.

Also, I can see an Extra folder and all the other typical OSX folders (System, Users, etc) when I choose to view my hard drive in Finder. But, where are the chameleon files located? Are they hidden?

Thanks in advance for answering my nooby questions :wacko:

boot file is very important to enable QE/CI for 5650m.

My notebook spec is below.

Acer Aspire 5740G

i5-430M w/o Intel HD graphic embedded

4G RAM

ATI HD5650m

OSX 10.6.7

Use attach boot file and modify EDID to /S/L/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717

FB: Hoolock/Baboon, both work for LVDS.

ATISupport,

ATIFramebuffer,

ATI5000Control,

ATIRadeonX3000

copy from 10.7 preview 1,

<string>ATISupport 7.0.52 9317</string>

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin,

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle,

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

copy from 10.6.6 MBP 2011

<string>ATIRadeonX3000GA 1.6.30.19 (9355)</string>

boot.rar

boot file is very important to enable QE/CI for 5650m.

My notebook spec is below.

Acer Aspire 5740G

i5-430M w/o Intel HD graphic embedded

4G RAM

ATI HD5650m

OSX 10.6.7

Use attach boot file and modify EDID to /S/L/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-756e6b6e/DisplayProductID-717

FB: Hoolock/Baboon, both work for LVDS.

ATISupport,

ATIFramebuffer,

ATI5000Control,

ATIRadeonX3000

copy from 10.7 preview 1,

<string>ATISupport 7.0.52 9317</string>

ATIRadeonX3000GA.plugin,

ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle,

ATIRadeonX3000VADriver.bundle

copy from 10.6.6 MBP 2011

<string>ATIRadeonX3000GA 1.6.30.19 (9355)</string>

but what i must to do with boot file. paste it into...???? explain pls...

and where are lions 5000 kext?

thx

Hi all,

First of all, good work in getting this far! I'm currently trying to get my 5650 to work properly on my Sony Vaio VPC-EC3M1E.

What I did so far:

- Installed OSX Retail 10.6.3 using Nawcom's boot-CD (0.3.1)

- Combo-updated to 10.6.7

- Before reboot, installed the necessary kexts from Lion

- Replaced my boot file with the one from the first post

- Installed Chameleon RC5 r748 (with Kabyl support) using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]

- Installed SwitchResX and created a custom resolution of 1600x900 (native resolution for my LVDS)

If I boot with GraphicsEnabler=yes, I have native resolutions and full QE/CI on my HDMI output (1920x1080) and my external monitor (1280x1024). Unfortunately, the internal LVDS remains black.

Under System Profile, my card is correctly shown as an ATI 5000.

Based on the above posts, I tried to get my LVDS to work as well using different framebuffers. So far, I've tried Eulemur, Hoolock, Vervet, Baboon, Langur, Nomascus and Madison. All result in either a black LVDS or one with a weird-looking 'white cloud'. Booting goes fine though, since I can always VNC into the operating system. In all cases, available resolutions are 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 1680x1050. For some reason, the custom resolution in SwitchResX doesn't show up anymore. Also, if I check my video card under System Profile it shows 'ffff...' etcetera.

Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Any help would be much appreciated!

EDIT: Played around a bit more and made some progress. I extracted my screen's EDID based on a guide elsewhere and edited the DisplayProductID-717 file. If I boot in verbose mode, my card is identified as a 5650 Nomascus. Unfortunately, using Nomascus as a framebuffer doesn't work (leads to a deadbeef error).

Using Hoolock leads to my external monitor being identified as main, with nothing on the laptop screen. The closest I got was using Baboon as a framebuffer. It correctly identified my external monitor as an extended desktop, but the laptop screen still shows white lines, blocks, etcetera. I was able to VNC into OSX though and noted that all the correct resolutions are shown! Yet if I change them, the screen just flickers a bit.

The native resolution of my laptop screen is 1600x900. I read that maybe another solution is required for screens larger than 1440x900? Anyhow, hope someone can help me out!

• 3 weeks later...
@EVERYONE Follow these directions.

ATI 5650m - Working FB is Eulemur, DVD Player and Frontrow work 100% DASHBOARD WATER RIPPLE EFFECTS!

Boot using the above files, also get your rom using these instructions.

First time you boot, boot using GraphicsEnabler=No, Install a program called ScreenresX which you can set screen res 1366x768 for your laptop screen, save it.

Reboot using GraphicsEnabler=Yes, Now you will have QE/CI, Full resolution!

FB for ATI 5650 Mobility is EULEMUR!

atlee, Thank you very much for the advice, however I do all the steps above and still no Quartz Extreme. Grab does not work and only get Flash in Safari at 32-bit very choppy. I do have full screen resolution.

ATI 5650m working good but no Quartz Extreme!

HP dv7-4191nr corei7 720QM, ATI 5650m, beats audio, 17.3 1600x900, Mac OS X 10.6.6

• 1 month later...