PS3 Hacked , is any chance to install old PowerPC Mac os X on it?

twilight.lee

13 posts in this topic

There is no PowerPC support for Snow Leopard. Why should somebody do this? What's the advantage?

LOL, someone's being negative...

Well, the advantage is for you to look cool :) you turn ur PS3 on and TADA!!!! Mac OS X :) People put linux in it, so why not Leopard, right?

sorry, but 10.5 or even 10.4 with only 256mb ram won't make much fun and for iOS does not support ppc, i see no chance that this will ever happen. not even linux as the 'other os' was any good (i.e. as a workstation; it is useful for special purposes though).

sorry, but 10.5 or even 10.4 with only 256mb ram won't make much fun and for iOS does not support ppc, i see no chance that this will ever happen. not even linux as the 'other os' was any good (i.e. as a workstation; it is useful for special purposes though).

You are right. I forgot it's only have 256MB RAM.

Linux will be better.

• 3 weeks later...
ps3 osx is the most stupid idea i have ever heard

even linux on that thing is going to be horrible

Why so negative, but on a note the ram is amazingly fast so that should not be as big of a deal, however it would probably have to be 10.3, because of the firewire requirement, but the minimum requirement for tiger is only 256 mb of ram so it might just work, if someone could hack around the firewire requirement and create an fake smc and bootloader like cham for ps3. then there is always the videocard drive and usb driver issues, but besides that with a fast ssd as boot drive it might not be that horrible. :censored2:

My $.02

terramir

Also just a PS: thing is because there is really only one ps3, the work would have to only be done once, i.e. the drivers etc. and then it could be the ultimate stable low power system.

terramir

Why so negative, but on a note the ram is amazingly fast so that should not be as big of a deal, however it would probably have to be 10.3, because of the firewire requirement, but the minimum requirement for tiger is only 256 mb of ram so it might just work, if someone could hack around the firewire requirement and create an fake smc and bootloader like cham for ps3. then there is always the videocard drive and usb driver issues, but besides that with a fast ssd as boot drive it might not be that horrible. :)

My $.02

terramir

Also just a PS: thing is because there is really only one ps3, the work would have to only be done once, i.e. the drivers etc. and then it could be the ultimate stable low power system.

terramir

Hi, I like your opinion but maybe just because it is not really a desktop pc an OS more tweakable than osx like linux could be more useful, you can chose a lighter windows manager, file manager and so on...

Just a fast thought :)

ps3 osx is the most stupid idea i have ever heard

even linux on that thing is going to be horrible

Actually I ran two distros of linux on the PS3...Yellowdog and Ubuntu and they ran great. It was awesome having the power of linux running on the PS3 in my living room. Until, the dreaded update that took it all away. I still miss it.

Sounds like a good idea, but the CPU in the PS3 is not a normal PPC CPU (unlike the XBOX 360). Might be doable though, and sure sounds like fun.

As for RAM, the original Apple TV had 256 MB RAM, and not only ran OS X Tiger Apple TV software, it was hacked to run actual desktop OS X Tiger. For FireWire, that was just there to say that "you guys with old Macs, you can't run this". It didn't actually need it.