Nvidia on MacPro

22 posts in this topic

Nvidia 7300GT.

Some new drivers comming now ;)

Wooooo wooo

well they have to adapt de efi nvidia 4500 fx drivers to make them work on nin efi 7xxx cards

that will take a while i am afraid

but its good news indeed :pirate2:

There were Nvidia cards in the PowerMac G5's and you couldn't download any drivers, so maybe not.

You didn't need to download those drivers because they already in Mac OS, but they are PPC only, lest see if the next update it will have the x86 drivers.

There's two new Nvidia video cards supported:

- NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500

- Geforce 7300

So now the question is which other will be supported in our hackintosh?

I don't know if the 7300 is based on 7800 or 7900 just remember that even _np had problems with 7900 video cards so I hope the 7300 be part of 7900 or maybe the FX 4500.

yep so fingers crossed for next update to have intel drivers

Are the Mac Pro's shipping with 10.4.8 or what?

I guess the drivers will be part of the firmware. As it seem they are using specially designed cards.

Yes, but these are DXE drivers not OS drivers.

Keep in mind that DXE drivers are not OS drivers. While an OS driver has to exploit the full capability of the hardware and make it available to applications, DXE drivers are single threaded and simply have to support those features that are needed to boot the OS or set up and manage the platform.

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/developer/asmo...8649.htm?page=3

I'm so excited! But I'll temper that with restraint until someone like np_ weighs in and we know more about the Mac Pro, it's video cards, and this driver.

Who knows, but Apple could gimp the Mac Pro and/or drivers by making them specific to the Mac Pro! I hope not, but it's possible.

Here's to hoping for real 100% functional Nvidia drivers SOON! :)

Are the Mac Pro's shipping with 10.4.8 or what?

Yes, but these are DXE drivers not OS drivers.

True, but as you might know, the card is initialized by the efi, and taken over by the OS. But maybe the nvidia driver will have more control over the hardware than the ati one.

• 4 weeks later...
Peops, what is now, is the 7300GT working or not??!! I will buy one but want to know first..

Nope.... turns out that the driver was not the only thing they need. Some claim they need the 10.4.7 kernel to be cracked... Others claim that you need EFI emulation first. In other words... not yet.