Dell Optiplex GX520

Dellmantt

282 posts in this topic

So, I just installed the 10.6.7 legacy kernel from post #141 and I'm still having this issue.

This is what the terminal says:

$ uname -a
Darwin mac-mini.fiedler.local 10.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Mon Mar 28 13:34:53 EDT 2011; legacy kernel v7 :xnu-1504.9.37/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

I can see my external HDD with the system profiler, but it won't mount or anything. A screenshot is attached.

My USB-keyboard and mouse are working without problems. And I already tried different ports...

post-636869-1301556077_thumb.png

So, I just installed the 10.6.7 legacy kernel from post #141 and I'm still having this issue.

This is what the terminal says:

$ uname -a
Darwin mac-mini.fiedler.local 10.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.7.0: Mon Mar 28 13:34:53 EDT 2011; legacy kernel v7 :xnu-1504.9.37/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386

I can see my external HDD with the system profiler, but it won't mount or anything. A screenshot is attached.

My USB-keyboard and mouse are working without problems. And I already tried different ports...

Yes thats the 10.7 Legacy Kernel. You Should not be having USB problems with that kernel. Does "Disk Utility" see the drive?

There was a problem with USB with a mismatch between kernel & system versions, but you should not be having that. If you continue to have problems then you could try rolling back the IOUSBFamily & IOUSBMassStorageClass kexts. you will find details on how to do that in the 10.6.6 & 10.6.7 update threads in the New Releases section.

I did ask you once before Quote "What model do you have 520 or 620 and what CPU P4 or Pen D or Celeron ? (Good idea to have your specs in your signature)"

Well.. No success with the DVI-VGA Adapter.

I just read somewhere else that an adapter isn't working anyway.

But i think I messed up my KEXTs now... The SATA Snow Leopard doesn't boot very well, not even with -x

The ATA Snow Leopard does boot, but only with -x so I think I'm going to replace the ATI Kexts with the original ones and edit the boot.plist to almost original.

Hopefully I then can boot again with normal resolution but without CI/QE....

If not... Start over from scratch and go without CI/QE or buy a new screen....

Well.. No success with the DVI-VGA Adapter.

I just read somewhere else that an adapter isn't working anyway.

But i think I messed up my KEXTs now... The SATA Snow Leopard doesn't boot very well, not even with -x

The ATA Snow Leopard does boot, but only with -x so I think I'm going to replace the ATI Kexts with the original ones and edit the boot.plist to almost original.

Hopefully I then can boot again with normal resolution but without CI/QE....

If not... Start over from scratch and go without CI/QE or buy a new screen....

Is a new screen (monitor) going to help? Can you borrow on with a DVI input? The onboard GMA 950 works. A lot of nvidia cards work OOB, the 8400GS for example. Just be careful of the power requirements. Check what wattage of the power supply for your system and the power limits of the PCI-E slot.

EDIT check netkas site, there is a thing about 4xxx radeons

I'll try the netkas thing, thanks. I indeed saw that the GMA950 works, but onfortunately onboard video only works when I pull out the card.. Not very workable when switching from Mac to Windows....

If I had known I would experiment with Hackintosh I would have bought a compatible card last year....

p.s. I yesterday found out that my 2x512MB DIMMs are on lower speed.....

Well...

Let's try again..

No video output. Not on VGA, not on DVI-VGA, not on internal Intel GMA.. No-thing except for the verbose text output...

So I think I'm going to start over from scratch... Update to 10.6.7 with Vanilla kernel, clone to SATA and then use the ATA as test environment to get the HD4350 working.....

p.s. stupid Dell.. Upgraded to 4GB, only 3,5GB usable.....

Updated guide with 10.67 instructions.

Changed MAC Address instructions and added thanks to Weazlmon.

Added thanks to scififan68 for the Vanilla Kernel contribution

Well...Let's try again..No video output. Not on VGA, not on DVI-VGA, not on internal Intel GMA.. No-thing except for the verbose text output...

So I think I'm going to start over from scratch... Update to 10.6.7 with Vanilla kernel, clone to SATA and then use the ATA as test environment to get the HD4350 working.....

p.s. stupid Dell.. Upgraded to 4GB, only 3,5GB usable.....

HD4350 working.... Not really pertinent to this thread, we know the on board video works. For new users be careful of adding PCI-E video cardsthat are not compatible with the capacity of the power supply of your particular model of 520 or 620. Also the power supplied by the slot itself (75 Watt in my case)

Memory I suppose you are taking from "Activity Monitor" May be just cosmetic. What does it say in System Profiler, or Geekbench?

Stuped Dell- I thank them for making a system that is so easy to Hack-intosh. And cheap too. I can pick them up on Ebay (Au) for au$40-60. That would be dearer In us$ of course :hysterical:

Thanks for the tutorial and for kexsts collection!

I installed Retail 10.6 starting computer with OSX86 ModCD 0.3.1 (http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=446). After install I had to clean the E/E from kexst that were installed from cd. Updated to 10.6.7 via combo update. Running vanilla kernel. Also I have used one of the DSDT's from the thread.

en0 mac address fix from first page did not work for me. I have used terminal: sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx and it worked fine.

I had Pentium D 2.66 Ghz in my parts pile. Put it in. OS loads faster. The only thing is that in "About This Mac" it shows "2.66 Ghz Intel Core Solo" Does anybody know how to turn second core on?

Thanks for the tutorial and for kexsts collection!

I installed Retail 10.6 starting computer with OSX86 ModCD 0.3.1 (http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=446). After install I had to clean the E/E from kexst that were installed from cd. Updated to 10.6.7 via combo update. Running vanilla kernel. Also I have used one of the DSDT's from the thread.

en0 mac address fix from first page did not work for me. I have used terminal: sudo ifconfig en0 lladdr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx and it worked fine.

I had Pentium D 2.66 Ghz in my parts pile. Put it in. OS loads faster. The only thing is that in "About This Mac" it shows "2.66 Ghz Intel Core Solo" Does anybody know how to turn second core on?

There are 3 different fixes for the "Mac Address" fix throughout the posts, I changed it in the guide 3 days ago to the easiest one.

Don't worry about what it says about CPU cores in a"bout this mac" , look in "activity monitor", fairly sure this is mentioned in an earlier post. If you really want make a smbios.plist with the correct values.

There are 3 different fixes for the "Mac Address" fix throughout the posts, I changed it in the guide 3 days ago to the easiest one.

Don't worry about what it says about CPU cores in a"bout this mac" , look in "activity monitor", fairly sure this is mentioned in an earlier post. If you really want make a smbios.plist with the correct values.

What kexts do you have in your Extra folder?

Hi.

I installed with success 10.6.7 on my "new" gx520/PentiumD/1Gb.

I patched my DSDT (BIOS A07) for GMA950.

i use Sleepenabler and need EvOreboot for shutdown.

It can run in 64bits (without sound).

One issue : USB stick claims after wakeup. If someone knows the patch in DSDT...

Thanks.

@wenter

At the moment am not running a Gx520, sold one & using the HD from the other I have in my 755. I do remember I was using two kexts in Extra, fakesmc and one other. Had done all the fixes (RTC etc) in DSDT.

EDIT it was NullCPUPowerManagement, needed it for the the vanilla kernel (with patched boot) to work

@FilBip

I would ask that question in the DSDT editor and patcher thread. More DSDT gurus over there than here I would think.

Hello all. Dellmantt, sorry if I am asking in the wrong thread or if was already asked. I have the 620 Mini tower board with the P4 3.0 and I want to upgrade my cpu to a core duo. I have A07 bios, does anyone know what is the highest I can upgrade to?

thanks and sorry if in the wrong section. Also I have googled, but I want to see if anyone has successfully done it themselves.

Hello all. Dellmantt, sorry if I am asking in the wrong thread or if was already asked. I have the 620 Mini tower board with the P4 3.0 and I want to upgrade my cpu to a core duo. I have A07 bios, does anyone know what is the highest I can upgrade to?

thanks and sorry if in the wrong section. Also I have googled, but I want to see if anyone has successfully done it themselves.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forum...9/18642905.aspx

Quote "you CANNOT use a core 2 duo processor. The maximum you can upgrade to is Pentium D 900 series processors. "- Bios A11 I believe

Hello everyone

Many thanks for the guide Dellmantt, it was very helpfull. It took me 2 or 3 days, with a few problems as usual (for me).

My GX620 SFF is now running 10.6.7 with the 10.7 vanilla kernel. I have only 2 problems, my slimline IDE dvd drive (TSST) doesnt work and I cannot wake from sleep.

I made a patched dsdt.aml (thanks oldnapalm for helping with my error) and followed the instructions in this guide almost exactly: the only differences being that I used MyHack v1.14 and chameleon R5 r699 with patched boot file. I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] after updating to 10.6.7 to install kexts (IOUSBFamily rollback, FakeSMC, NullCPUPowerManagement .kexts).

When I select the Disk Burning category or CD&DVD drives under System Preferences I get the everlasting colour wheel and have to force quit. I also get an "IOATAController blocking bus" warning sometimes during shutdown.

Any ideas how I could get my IDE DVD drive working? I was expecting that sleep might be tricky, but the DVD problem was unexpected.

I have tried extracting IOATAPIProtocolTransport.kext (or similar) from the 10.6.3 install DVD & installing in my /Extras folder. The DVD drive light came on briefly but did not work.

Any help would be appreciated.

MyHack v1.14 and chameleon R5 r699 with patched boot file are fine. Why you used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] I don't know (is it the new osxtools?). The FakeSMC & NullCPUPowerManagement .kexts from myhack should have been fine in your Extra folder, and with the vanilla kernel you should not have needed the usb rollback (nobody else has had trouble with usb before that I know of, might be your DSDT)

No idea about tje DVD/CD.

I set up a GX520 SFF a couple of days ago that has the ATA optical drive and had no problems. All vanilla kexts in S/L/E., patched boot file for vanilla kernel and dsdt patched for GMA 950 only.

Sleep can be really problematic on hackintosh, personally I have never used it on a non laptop, neither Mac, hack or Windoze.

Thanks for replying so quickly Dellmantt.

I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] after updating with the 10.6.7 combo update just because it had the facility to install kexts, rebuild caches & reair permissions without any terminal usage. I am not afraid of terminal, but repairing permissions etc in terminal can be a bit repetitive after the n'th time.

I originally installed Snow Leopard on my GX620 using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but wasn't happy with my install. When I installed using your method I used that install to create my "donor" usb drive.

I have the feeling that I will end up re-installing everything from scratch, even making my DSDT.aml again. I'm just putting it off for a while in case I can avoid it.

Another thing I didn't really explain properly is that I had problems making my DSDT.aml. I have the A11 BIOS, and the DSDT I extracted woudn't compile due to a stubborn error. "2621 error - invalid combination of Length & min/max fixed flags (both in OS x and Linux)

oldnapalm took my unpatched, uncompiled version and just set the relevant length mentioned in the error to 0, applied a couple of patches (GMA950 desktop & DTGP), compiled & uploaded it for me. He was so quick I just used the version he made for me rather than making my own.

Anyway, my point is that if others have the A11 BIOS and didn't get this error when compiling, then maybe my BIOS is corrupted. I may need to download it from Dell again & re-flash my BIOS. There were some intermittent faults on the GX620 over the last 2 years or so. Unfortunately I think I need to install XP to re-flash the BIOS using the Dell A11 installer.

Perhaps I will install XP, reflash my BIOS, re-make my DSDT.aml & install. Then see if it fixes my error.

So, just to be clear: the only patches I need to apply are GMA950 desktop & DTGP, nothing else for audio or usb etc?

Thanks for replying so quickly Dellmantt.

I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] after updating with the 10.6.7 combo update just because it had the facility to install kexts, rebuild caches & reair permissions without any terminal usage. I am not afraid of terminal, but repairing permissions etc in terminal can be a bit repetitive after the n'th time.

Lets say i don't like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]. "Kext Utility" and the new "Kext Wizard" will rebuild the kext caches & repair permissions. Firstly the kexts in the "Extra" folder are not touched by a software update. Secondly if using a DSDT fix for video and the patched "boot" file for the vanilla kernel, NO kexts or updated "Legacy kernel" has to be installed after a software update. The only additional kexts in S/L/E are the Lan and Audio kexts and these are not touched by an update.

Another thing I didn't really explain properly is that I had problems making my DSDT.aml. I have the A11 BIOS, and the DSDT I extracted woudn't compile due to a stubborn error. "2621 error - invalid combination of Length & min/max fixed flags (both in OS x and Linux)

oldnapalm took my unpatched, uncompiled version and just set the relevant length mentioned in the error to 0, applied a couple of patches (GMA950 desktop & DTGP), compiled & uploaded it for me. He was so quick I just used the version he made for me rather than making my own.

Anyway, my point is that if others have the A11 BIOS and didn't get this error when compiling, then maybe my BIOS is corrupted. I may need to download it from Dell again & re-flash my BIOS. There were some intermittent faults on the GX620 over the last 2 years or so. Unfortunately I think I need to install XP to re-flash the BIOS using the Dell A11 installer.

Perhaps I will install XP, reflash my BIOS, re-make my DSDT.aml & install. Then see if it fixes my error.

The length error- there was an alternative suggest from "Dutchhockeypro" about that and also a tip about using a CRT monitor when extracting and compiling the dsdt without error. All mentioned http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1560293 to page 21 or so.

So, just to be clear: the only patches I need to apply are GMA950 desktop & DTGP, nothing else for audio or usb etc?
Correct

Hope your bios re-flash works. Intermittent faults unfortunately could be hardware related.

Lets say i don't like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

I think i'm beginning to feel that way too.

The length error- there was an alternative suggest from "Dutchhockeypro" about that and also a tip about using a CRT monitor when extracting and compiling the dsdt without error. All mentioned http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1560293 to page 21 or so.

Thanks for that link, I missed "Dutchhockeypro"s post.

Hope your bios re-flash works. Intermittent faults unfortunately could be hardware related.

Already reflashed to A11. I have installed XP pro :D . When the headache wears off I'll give it another go.

Thanks again Dellmantt

For those interested, I've had a lot of luck with both these graphic cards on my GX620:

nvidia geforce 8400 low profile sparkle. It's like $30 on new egg. But it was on sale a couple weeks ago for $19. This card just works, and with full acceleration.

nvidia geforce 9800GT low profile sparkle. I didn't find it on new egg anymore. I got it from some other site (support@ascendtech.com for $65). It's a little harder to install. (I had to use my dremel a bit to make it fit). But it flies!. I'm playing portal 2, and it runs smoothly. Only thing, it runs a bit hot, so I leave the case open.

I also updated the CPU to a Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz for $48.00 at starmicroinc.

Raf.