Dell Optiplex GX520

Dellmantt

282 posts in this topic

my GX520/pentiumDC/1024/gma950/biosA07 is now stable running SL 10.6.7.

Here is my final GX520 kit with my Extra folder and DSDT.dsl/aml.

gx520kit.zip

My retail instal needs 4 kexts in E/E and 4 kexts in S/L/E.

and I think the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer is a stock/retail version.

:)

filbip

thank you FilBip!

with your kit I successfully got full resolution, QE and CI on my GX520 with GMA950!

I had to replace boot file and AC97 audio kext with the files at the beginning of the thread, though.

thank you again!

my GX520/pentiumDC/1024/gma950/biosA07 is now stable running SL 10.6.7.

Here is my final GX520 kit with my Extra folder and DSDT.dsl/aml.

gx520kit.zip

My retail instal needs 4 kexts in E/E and 4 kexts in S/L/E.

and I think the AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer is a stock/retail version.

filbip

@FilBip Glad yours is working. Looks like a iatkos install from your com.apple.boot.plist. Is it?

You should not need a different frame buffer or USB kext in S/L/E.

With the RTC & HPET fixes done on the DSDT all you need is FakeSMC in E/E..

@FilBip Glad yours is working. Looks like a iatkos install from your com.apple.boot.plist. Is it?

You should not need a different frame buffer or USB kext in S/L/E.

With the RTC & HPET fixes done on the DSDT all you need is FakeSMC in E/E..

My install is retail using this thread and my experience patching a DSDT for a Gigabyte board.

I did not use any distribution.

USB kext is useful for clean wakeup of usb volumes. DSDT patch was not enough.

Sometimes, it didn't shutdown completely. Evoreboot correct the issue.

I guess a best DSDT patch could correct the pb... But it was stable thru 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 upgrades.

Lion is the next challenge :D

My install is retail using this thread and my experience patching a DSDT for a Gigabyte board.

I did not use any distribution.

USB kext is useful for clean wakeup of usb volumes. DSDT patch was not enough.

Sometimes, it didn't shutdown completely. Evoreboot correct the issue.

I guess a best DSDT patch could correct the pb... But it was stable thru 10.6.6 and 10.6.7 upgrades.

Lion is the next challenge :D

Ok that explains it. For others reading the thread, is the "IOUSBFamily.kext" patched or just from an earlier system version.

Don't use sleep myself except for display using a hot corner, no sleep enabler needed for that.

Do you mean Lion on the GX 520? Have been concentrating on an Optiplex 755 lately, have not thought about Lion for the GX 520. Interesting to see if the couple of patched kernels available for Lion will work. This looks interesting for systems with an unsuported CPU http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=720.

I keep getting these Kernel Panics. I wanted to ask to see if someone could pin point the problem. This only happens when I don't boot into safe mode. With safe mode, boot is accomplished. I was able to install the files necessary, everything works, (except Ethernet) due to mac issue. I have no idea how to find out what it is. Great tut, hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.

Gladpants

post-407543-1307731978_thumb.jpg

post-407543-1307731997_thumb.jpg

I keep getting these Kernel Panics. I wanted to ask to see if someone could pin point the problem. This only happens when I don't boot into safe mode. With safe mode, boot is accomplished. I was able to install the files necessary, everything works, (except Ethernet) due to mac issue. I have no idea how to find out what it is. Great tut, hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction.

Gladpants

Which model 520 or 620? What CPU?

Using Legacy or Vanilla kernel?

Did you follow the guide exactly?

Did the kernel panics start at first boot or have you changed something recently?

Can you post your "com.apple.Boot.plist" from "Extra"

Which model 520 or 620? What CPU?

Using Legacy or Vanilla kernel?

Did you follow the guide exactly?

Did the kernel panics start at first boot or have you changed something recently?

Can you post your "com.apple.Boot.plist" from "Extra"

620, Pentium d

legacy 10.3.0

I did this with precompiled dvd because i have no mac available hence me creating a hackintosh.. if i had one available i wouldn't be making this one :) in fact im trying to make this one to make another one. I only selected the required items from this tut all of which were there. Boots fine into safe mode.

Panics started at first boot.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>-v arch=i386</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>5</string>

</dict>

</plist>

@ gladpants

By "precompiled dvd" I assume you mean a "Distro". As I have indicated elsewhere in this thread, I prefer to keep the questions about installs done using this guide so it is easy to help when problem occur. If you installed patched kextst from the "precompiled dvd", I suggest you revert/install vanilla kexts and start form there. Try adding this to "com.apple.Boot.plist"

<key>PciRoot</key>
<string>1</string>

Try running "fsck -fy" from single use mode as well.

If you get it booting you could, if you have a spare disc or partition, use this install to do another install as per the guide.

?

It was a much easier install process. That ionitx hackintosh is done everything working. I followed the guide for the gx620 but am now having an issue with the USB. It is not being recognized for initial install so no keyboard is present.

It was a much easier install process. That ionitx hackintosh is done everything working. I followed the guide for the gx620 but am now having an issue with the USB. It is not being recognized for initial install so no keyboard is present.

OK thought you meant the hassle was about my comment "As I have indicated elsewhere in this thread, I prefer to keep the questions about installs done using this guide so it is easy to help when problem occur."

What about a link for the "ionitx hackintosh " for other users that may read this thread-please.

Nevermind. Just had to install the old usb family from pre 10.6.6 solved the issue.

Nevermind. Just had to install the old usb family from pre 10.6.6 solved the issue.

You should not need to.

How about that link?

Hey. Been lurking on this thread for about a month, getting everything working on this piece o' {censored} Dell I found abandoned and revived. I'll admit up front, Dellmantt, that due to lack of available materials(I'm deployed to Iraq, and forced to use this Dell after my laptop motherboard overheated), I used a distro (iatkos s3 v2), but my question isn't about the install, so I hope you'll forgive me that.

This is a GX520 with the Celeron D, 1GB of RAM & a 80GB SATA HDD with a 20GB partition reserved for Winblows when I get around to it. I installed with Chameleon v2 RC4, graphics enabler, -pci1, /Extra folder, fakesmc, Disabler, RTC, qoopz 10.2 kernel, evoReboot, Sleep Enabler, USB, Intel SATA/IDE, Apple HDA 10.6.2 & Voodoo Power(many of these items, I'm sure, were completely unnecessary,but once I got it to boot from this configuration, I left it alone).

I'm at 10.6.3, with everything running fine. the problem comes when I attempt to run the 10.6.7 Combo update. I run the pkg, then reinstall the AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext, and finally the 10.7.0 Legacy Kernel. When I restart, everything seems to work except my USB ports (I say SEEMS because even my keyboard and mouse are USB, so I'm stuck having to restart, boot back off my iATKOS disc and roll back to 10.6.3 again. After doing some research, I added IOUSBFamily.kext from IOUSBFamily_USB3_AnV.zip to the lineup, and ran the whole scenario again... 10.6.7 combo update, followed by AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext, IOUSBFamily.kext, and then the 10.7.0 Legacy Kernel... restart, same issue. USB ports are not working, and I can't answer the question about Profiler or Disk Util seeing them, because it doesn't see my keyboard or mouse, either. I've tried it a few different times, with a few different IOUSBFamily.kext files, but nothing seems to prevent the USB ports from basically being disabled when it installs the update. By any chance would anyone have some advice for me on this one?

Thanks

Jake

• 2 weeks later...

10.6.8 Warning for GX520

I tried the upgrade

It was a failure. I didn't find a simple solution or any workaround to boot in 10.6.8.

I had to rollback to 10.6.7.

Same problem trying Lion :(

Phil

10.6.8 Warning for GX520

I tried the upgrade

It was a failure. I didn't find a simple solution or any workaround to boot in 10.6.8.

I had to rollback to 10.6.7.

Same problem trying Lion :D

Phil

Have you followed the instructions in de opening post of this thread, offcourse applying the new 10.6.8 legacy kernel if you aren't running vanilla?

10.6.8 Legacy kernel: http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=791

I successfully installed a 10.6.7 and a (rescue) 10.6.4 partition on the same GX520 (see above posts)

but any success story upgrading to 10.6.8 or 10.7 is welcome.

Retail/vanilla of course ;)

Thanks for the links to nawcom legacy_kernel and sleepenabler kext.

I forgot Sleepenabler.kext in the updated partition /E/E... certainly the cause of the issue...

I was wondering the same FliBip, but wasn't planning to post until I had tried more by myself. Software Update to 10.6.8 broke my install, also 2 more attempts using combo update & replacing AppleACPI and IOPCI(?) kexts wath 10.6.7 versions also unsuccessful. I just removed sleep enabler to try and get 10.6.8 running, system continually reboots after perhaps 10 lines of text.

e2a: just read post 220, will try folllowing the instructions in the link.

I got 10.6.8 working on my GX620 using post 220. I installed the combo update at Apple's main website, installed the legacy kernel, then installed the framebuffer kext and restarted and I'm typing this up in the osx.

I tried again to upgrade my gx520/pentiumD from 10.6.7 to 10.6.8 on a spare disk with legacy_kernel-10.6.8.

It runs with major issues ;) :

- runs very slowly,

- usb devices not mountable (but visible in sys.profiler)

- airport (add-on pci card) is broken

Simple workarounds (replacing IOPCI, IOUSB...) do not solve the problems.

Gfx gma950 OK with QE/CI. With DSDT, no need to replace AppleIntelIntegratedframebuffer.kext.